MLT vs. MT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (33)

Samantha in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

I've read several posts on here about the "differences" between MT's and MLT's. I just wanted to add my opinion, and maybe some insight to those to aren't sure which path to take. I graduated from a state university with my Bachelor's in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. I am now attending an Associate's MLT program at a community college in Pittsburgh, accreditted by NAACLS. I am fully aware that I must work as an MLT for 2 years in order to sit for an MT exam. However, I feel that I have received a comparable education to those who received a BS in Medical Technology. The University where I received my undergrad is affiliated with several MT programs (I opted out of this because of relocation). Anyway... the program required you to complete 3 years (6 semesters) at the university, then 1 year of clinical rotation at the MT program (usually a hospital program). Let me point out that my courses for my degree were EXACTLY the same as those planning on transferring to the MT program. After I complete my MLT courses and externship, I will have the same knowledge as an MT graduate. The only measurable difference is that I have to sit for a different exam due to certain parameters. Just because I would only be considered an "MLT" due to a "life science bachelor degree" and an "associate degree in medical laboratory technology" does not make me any less capable. Must I stress, my undergraduate classes were the EXACT same as an MT student who attended the same university. I even had more indepth classes such as Molecular biology and Biotechnology that were VERY lab intensive and included reading/writing lab protocols, troubleshooting, making reagents, making liquid and agar media, and writing in-depth lab reports.

I understand the pay difference and the "ladder" you must climb, as in any professon. My point is, when I complete my AS MLT program, I will be just as capable as a BS MT graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Helpful in Cleveland, Ohio

43 months ago

Samantha in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I understand the pay difference and the "ladder" you must climb, as in any professon. My point is, when I complete my AS MLT program, I will be just as capable as a BS MT graduate.

No, you will not be as capable as a BS MT graduate, because MTs are specifically trained to perform high-complexity testing that MLT programs do not cover. This is not a dig against MLTs, it is simply a fact of the training.

I earned a BS in Microbiology, and then enrolled in 4+1 MT program at a hospital. Despite my graduate-level coursework in genetics, immunology, and virology, I found that the material and techniques in MT school to be both new and challenging.

For instance, how much training have you had in analyzing peripheral blood smears? Can you correlate WBC and RBC abnormalities with the symptoms and medical history of patients to determine their clinical significance? Can you rapidly distinguish between a basophil, a promyelocyte, a prolymphocyte with toxic granulation, and an erythroblast with basophilic stippling. Do you know which Chemistry tests would tell you the significance of each of those abnormal cells?

Now perhaps your program is very comprehensive, but here MLTs do not perform peripheral smear analysis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Rus in Lawton, Oklahoma

43 months ago

You know, a while back I would have been up in arms on this subject. For example, I would have told you that as an MLT here in Oklahoma, I do diffs just as well as the MTs that I work with. Even with my MLT Associate's, I can differentiate between cell types and (stain willing) catch most cell inclusions and realize their significance. I would have been fairly put off by any and all detrimental comments regarding the inferiority of MLT vs MT.

But I recently started an MT program. Yep, that shut me up. My program goes so much more in-depth than my MLT program could. There just wasn't enough time in that two years to cram in all the necessary knowledge necessary to being a really good tech.

It is true that classroom education is no substitute for on-the-job experience. I know MLTs with lots of experience that run circles around some MTs that I know. But having been in the lab for awhile and keeping my eyes open, you'll notice that for the most part, the person that everybody in a department goes to with those wacky problems is invariably an MT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

43 months ago

Wow Rus, I remember how we would argue back in the days MT vs MLT and how you would vigorously defend MLTs. I'm glad to see that your perspective has changed now that you are in a CLS program, as education does make a difference, and the difference in pay is deserved.

To Samantha, all I can say is you made a mistake. After having a BS in biotech why would you go get an AS in MLT???!! You're going backwards. At least go for the BS in CLS. You could have probably worked as an MLT with your BS alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Samantha in Rittman, Ohio

43 months ago

It took me a long time to decide what to do with my degree. Being from western PA, there aren't many opportunities. I was having a very difficult time finding a job, and most places gave me BS about being "overqualified." Other facilities looking for MLTs wouldn't even respond to my application. I'm not sure if that's due to no cert. or the new reform that was a big thing at the time. At this time, I'm not able to relocate, it would just be very financially poor for me to do so. All of the 3+1 hospital affiliations were just too far away (I know, I find it very wrong that most of the sites were 1.5hrs+ from the university... making them easily 2-3 from my home which would made a terrible commute). But the MLT program seems like a great program and I do feel as if I'm learning a lot, with a decent tuition. I admit a lot of the cirriculum is very different than BS-Bio. But I don't feel I am very much taking a step back... my degree will just help me in the long run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Samantha in Rittman, Ohio

43 months ago

Off topic... but howcome it now says I am in Rittman, Oh??? Odd. Maybe because I'm on my mobile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Samantha in Rittman, Ohio said: It took me a long time to decide what to do with my degree. Being from western PA, there aren't many opportunities. I was having a very difficult time finding a job, and most places gave me BS about being "overqualified." Other facilities looking for MLTs wouldn't even respond to my application. I'm not sure if that's due to no cert. or the new reform that was a big thing at the time. At this time, I'm not able to relocate, it would just be very financially poor for me to do so. All of the 3+1 hospital affiliations were just too far away (I know, I find it very wrong that most of the sites were 1.5hrs+ from the university... making them easily 2-3 from my home which would made a terrible commute). But the MLT program seems like a great program and I do feel as if I'm learning a lot, with a decent tuition. I admit a lot of the cirriculum is very different than BS-Bio. But I don't feel I am very much taking a step back... my degree will just help me in the long run.

Once you save up enough money working as an MLT, apply to any and all 4+1 MT programs in your region and rent an apartment near the one you join. This will require you to keep your expenses down so that you can save up the cash reserves to endure a year without income.

Had you the fiscal means, you should have moved near an MT program before enrolling in the MLT program. Here in Ohio, the cost of an apartment will quickly be offset by the higher MT pay and opportunities for promotion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Or you could rotate the required time in each lab department and sit for your MT/MLS exam, since you already have a bachelors...but you may have to take additional college courses if you do not have all the requirements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Labtech in Foster, West Virginia

38 months ago

I am an MLT working in WV and we do the same work as an MT! Yes, they are paid a little more, but we were told in school that we would be doing the exact same job and so far, this has been true. I read peripheral blood smears alot and I know how to differentiate between blood cells and all that. We were taught that in the first semester. As far as I'm concerned, most of what both MT's and MLT's do is learned through on-the-job training and it's all the same! In fact, the hospital I worked for prior to now gave me the choice to work there for two years and then I could take the test to become a licensed MT just through working the job and of course, as long as I passed the test. Several of the MLT's working there had already done so and passed.

Jazmyn in Miami, Florida

33 months ago

I have recently been interested in getting into an MLT program, but after reading these blogs i am a bit torn. If MLT's and MT's do the same work yet MT's get paid substantially more then it seems pretty apparent which path to take. Is there a higher demand for one or the other?

armyLABrat in Fort Polk, Louisiana

33 months ago

Jasmyn,

There is a demand for both programs. It all depends on you. If you are looking for more money, then CLS or MT is the way to go. You also have better chance of landing a job with the MT degree. If you can not afford to take the MT 3+1 course, then the MLT program is a great beginning.

I have been in this field for 10 years, and still love my job. You will see a lot of posts bashing that MLT are nothing more than glorified Lab Assistants due to location, but some of the most knowledgeable people I met were MLT. You can learn a lot from the MLT course.

One difference I do see is that MT positions are generally the supervisor positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

WVLAB in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

Helpful in Cleveland, Ohio said: No, you will not be as capable as a BS MT graduate, because MTs are specifically trained to perform high-complexity testing that MLT programs do not cover. This is not a dig against MLTs, it is simply a fact of the training.

I earned a BS in Microbiology, and then enrolled in 4+1 MT program at a hospital. Despite my graduate-level coursework in genetics, immunology, and virology, I found that the material and techniques in MT school to be both new and challenging.

For instance, how much training have you had in analyzing peripheral blood smears? Can you correlate WBC and RBC abnormalities with the symptoms and medical history of patients to determine their clinical significance? Can you rapidly distinguish between a basophil, a promyelocyte, a prolymphocyte with toxic granulation, and an erythroblast with basophilic stippling. Do you know which Chemistry tests would tell you the significance of each of those abnormal cells?

Now perhaps your program is very comprehensive, but here MLTs do not perform peripheral smear analysis.

That is Hematology 101.How can you learn Hematology without learning white cells and morphology.The book we used in Hematology was the same as theMT level.The clinicals were the same.The ASCP asks MLT the same questions they ask a MT.Majority of the BOR book is practice material for both and MLT and MT. Only a small portion is reserved for just MT.Whether your hospital allows MLT's to do diffs is preference not because they lack knowledge. MLT's programs teach you to correlate results to diseases.(case studies if you ever heard of them).I have read up to 50 or more diffs in a shift at work in the world renowned Texas Medical Center as a MLT.I would probably be hired before you and this is not because they can pay me less but because I have more experience reading diffs(normal and abnormal)because of the volume we get and diverse population we get here from around the world. contiun...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

WVLAB in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

I'm also a generalist with blood bank experience. So what if a Mlt there cant read a diff. That's more work for you. Oh and I also know how to correlate Glucose and protein in a CSF to lab findings on a gram stain and cell count. Let's see what else can I do. We can all sit here and talk about what we know. What I do know for sure is that my diverse background and my experience will out trumph yours anyday. A MLT generalist is always more valuable than a MT who specializes in Hematology for 30yrs. Multitasking is in and sitting on your butt thinking your to good to do anything else because of your degree is out. I noticed that alot of older MT's hide behind their degree. It's because your intimidated and worried about losing your job because you were stupid enough to stay in one department you entire career. Who would you hire a 30yr MT who worked in micro 30yrs that is now applying for a hematology position or an MLT with hematology experience? Which one would be harder to train? The BS MT of course. You would probably have to re-teach hematology. Yeah a BS is always better than a AS but when you lose your skills to specialize in one area that BS isn't worth the paper it's written on. You still get the higher pay but you are basically useless in other departments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MLS in Renton, Washington

30 months ago

Hi WVLAB,

I feel bad for you.... You're working your butt so hard with less pay (MLT). For those MT and MLS, be prepared for the new upcoming rules and regulations that will be talked about soon. In the overview, we have discussed across the board that MLT job descriptions will be changed. They will no longer do similar jobs like MT performs but rather it will be a combination of helping the lab assistant draw blood, processing, register patient etc... perform waived tests, run samples, load reagent etc.... MLT can only do waived and moderate tests but not allowed to verify any moderate test results. Moderate and high complexity tests are reviewed and verified results.

Don't you think this is a good news for you since you don't have to work you butt that much anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

MLS in Renton, Washington

30 months ago

MLS in Renton, Washington said: Hi WVLAB,

I feel bad for you.... You're working your butt so hard with less pay (MLT). For those MT and MLS, be prepared for the new upcoming rules and regulations that will be talked about soon. In the overview, we have discussed across the board that MLT job descriptions will be changed. They will no longer do similar jobs like MT performs but rather it will be a combination of helping the lab assistant draw blood, processing, register patient etc... perform waived tests, run samples, load reagent etc.... MLT can only do waived and moderate tests but not allowed to verify any moderate test results. Moderate and high complexity tests are reviewed and verified results.

Don't you think this is a good news for you since you don't have to work you butt that much anymore.

What i mean was, MTs are the only lab personnel that can review and verified moderate and high complexity tests.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

WVLAB in Austin, Texas

29 months ago

MLS in Renton, Washington said: What i mean was, MTs are the only lab personnel that can review and verified moderate and high complexity tests.

Actually where I work there is no differentiation in pay because there is no differentiation in the work. New laws can be passed, but MLT's already working will be grandfathered in and their duties will not change. The lab does not have enough MT's or graduating MT's to be able to change the scope of practice of the MLT's already in the field. However the pay will change and you MT's that hate MLT's will hate us even more because a law that you are dying for will make us equal. The MLT's coming in after us yeah maybe they will be limited in their scope of practice but that doesn't apply to so many. I love my job and I do not work my butt off. Only lazy techs think it's to much work. Personally I like to be responsible for my own work. If you feel better sitting on your butt and only releasing results feel free. But what happens when you release results on a mislabeled specimen because you didn't load the instrument someone else did. Good luck with your pipe dream. It will never affect me or any MLT's already in the field. And I say this as a MLT who is the only tech working in Blood Bank today at a trauma center. (The MT is in hematology and our supervisor whom is a MLT is in Chemistry).Tommorrow it will be the Chemistry department, because that is what us generalists do move around. Let yall tell it I'm not qualified to do my job but yet here I am doing it. So let's see the MLT is doing types and screens, issuing blood, FFP, platelets etc. while the MT is in Hemo doing diffs. Which department do you think has the greatest impact on life? Wow I love this job because by just doing mine an MT feels threatened.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hopeful MTstudent in Birmingham, Alabama

29 months ago

Ok I applied for the MLT program and didn't get accepted. I'm not sure why but i think it was because of my gpa. I had a 3.2 but after I made a c in 2 of my classes, they brought me down to a 2.7. I'm retaking them now and I have only intro chemistry and english 102 to take and I will be finished with all my general classes and electives as well as classes for the BSN program. I really don't know what to do. I don't know if I should take some of the classes over I made a "B" or what. It's only 2 other classes I made a "C" in and thats ENG101 and BIO202.I really want to get in this program. Can anyone give me some insight on this. I'm about to turn 26 years old, engaged, and have a 3 year old daughter. I just want to give her the life I never had.

Ashley in Springfield, Missouri

28 months ago

Samantha in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I've read several posts on here about the "differences" between MT's and MLT's. I just wanted to add my opinion, and maybe some insight to those to aren't sure which path to take. I graduated from a state university with my Bachelor's in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. I am now attending an Associate 's MLT program at a community college in Pittsburgh, accreditted by NAACLS. I am fully aware that I must work as an MLT for 2 years in order to sit for an MT exam. However, I feel that I have received a comparable education to those who received a BS in Medical Technology..

Why in the world did you do that? I have a bachelor's of Biology and went straight into an MT program at UTSW. That seems weird to me, MLT's do almost the same things as MT's accept MT's have a bit more opportunity for advancement. Some hospitals won't even hire MLT's or they just put them in the same lot as client services. I don't get why you just went and spent a whole 2 years at MLT school when I only spent 19 months doing my MT...

Ashley in Springfield, Missouri

28 months ago

And for the record, I learn a LOT from some of our grandfathered OJT techs, that have been around for years, they rock. And I also learn from MLT's that have been in the field for just a little longer than I have. I agree there gap is thinning on MT and MLT besides pay and a title.

MLT ST in Colorado Springs, Colorado

26 months ago

WVLAB in Houston is living proof and is doing their thing. I love it. Ambition, hard work and a brain pays off regardless of your title. I've blown a couple of MT's minds with my lab multi-tasking and intiative as they watched me run circles around the others. I'm an MLT fresh out of school and am AMT cert. I completed my extern in a major hospital lab and have already landed a job in the blood bank of another major hospital. Not working as an MLT yet, but I got a foot in the door and I'm well on my way to it. All respect and props to the MTs who work hard and recognize and advocate MLTs. And also to the MLTs out there proving your skills among hostile MTs and labs everywhere. I think in some situations MTs are more capable and qualified. And I think it is fair they get paid more too. They've had twice the schooling. But MLTs such as myself and so many others are more than capable and qualified of performing many of the same tasks as MTs. So the ones who talk down on us should just shut up and let us do our job that we earned and we love. Stop hating on us because you're stuck up, scared and washed up. I'm tired of Med Techs discriminating based only on the fact that someone is an MLT. All of the great MTs out there who support me and other MLTs thank you so much. I look up to and appreciate you guys. Everyone who is paying attention in the field and is not bitter and in denile understands the MLT push. It makes sense, the demand is rising, and we are the future. Don't be surpised if it's a 50/50 ratio not far in the future. I heard that from Med Techs. Great ones, just like the great ones that taught me most of what I know. Ones that believe in me and know just as I do that I will be great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lang in Tokyo, Japan

26 months ago

Im MLT here in Japan, and i am currently the supervisor of  hematology, coagulation, urinalysis and toxicology. All I have is my AS  and my ASCP cert.  at the current hospital that I'm working at I brought up our CAP proficiency testing overal score from a 88 to a 100%  and passed our CAP inspection and the joint commission inspection. I do everything from new lot switching to  correlation studies and more.  I work  in all aspects of the lab to. I worked in chemistry, blood bank, and micro. It's not only running the benches but it's also ensuring that all equipment is update and inspected along with verifying all test are current and the QC logs are properly filled out too..  I do body fluids, matter of fact I just did 5 in one day, and all from the ER. Two CSF, two synovial, and one pleural fluid. Everything was spot on and  our pathologist had  to review because there were blasts and other abnormal WBC. plus, I know the patients and I got to see thier treatment.  I want to go for MT though. I love the field. It's a great field knowing that your helping people. And that goes for both MT and MLT. 

Lang in Tokyo, Japan

26 months ago

Im MLT here in Japan, and i am currently the supervisor of  hematology, coagulation, urinalysis and toxicology. All I have is my AS  and my ASCP cert.  at the current hospital that I'm working at I brought up our CAP proficiency testing overal score from a 88 to a 100%  and passed our CAP inspection and the joint commission inspection. I do everything from new lot switching to  correlation studies and more.  I work  in all aspects of the lab to. I worked in chemistry, blood bank, and micro. It's not only running the benches but it's also ensuring that all equipment is update and inspected along with verifying all test are current and the QC logs are properly filled out too..  I do body fluids, matter of fact I just did 5 in one day, and all from the ER. Two CSF, two synovial, and one pleural fluid. Everything was spot on and  our pathologist had  to review because there were blasts and other abnormal WBC. plus, I know the patients and I got to see thier treatment.  I want to go for MT though. I love the field. It's a great field knowing that your helping people. And that goes for both MT and MLT. 

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

TMAC in Las Vegas, Nevada

26 months ago

What I would like to know is whether you can live in Japan on a MLT or MT pay. Not sure what the pay is like there but I here cost of living is very high.

Lani in Colorado Springs, Colorado

25 months ago

Hi, MLT ST in Colorado Springs,

I live in the Springs as well, and I was wondering what school did you attend. I'm currently enrolled at PPCC and pursuing Pharmacy, however, recently I have become interested in the MLT career field but the only program that I found that was accredited was Arapahoe Community College. Fortunately, the MLT courses are done online and every other Friday and Saturday you meet for the laboratory sessions. Any advice/guidance? Thanks in advance.

Clinical Intern in SE, Michigan

25 months ago

MLT or MT people are people and deserve to be treated with equal respect. However, there is a difference in education and knowledge between the two certifications.

MLT's always think that they are every bit as knowledgeable and capable as someone with a bachelors degree. Yes, They can do the exact same job and probably perform it just as proficiently most of the time. However, what they don't understand is that when you earn a bachelors degree and pass 400 level Immunology classes where you need to describe step by step the entire complement cascade... Or sit through 400 level Microbiology lectures where you must understand every detail of petidoglycan biosynthesis that you not only have more knowledge of WHY you are running the tests instead of just HOW to run the test, but you also catch more mistakes, more results that don't look right, and have been formally trained how to think and reason through problems in a more sophisticated way.

Any high school drop out or medical assistant can be taught to aspirate a CBC and give the print out to the doctor. However, you need to be educated and trained to understand the importance of QC, and to know that a 60K white count means that you should probably run that CBC a second time.

It is not that an MLT with an associated degree cannot do these things, they can and do, It is just that someone with a bachelors degree can do this better, and has been taught to think and problem solve in a more sophisticated way which has been proven by their ability to get through the exact same very challenging upper division college coursework that dentists, and doctors have taken.

MLT and MT both have their place, and both deserve respect. However MLT's who believe there is no difference between the two, and that the extra 2 years of Biology and Chemistry classes, and the ability to think in a certain way that came from that experience makes no difference are very naive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

DreaminKID in Quezon City, Philippines

22 months ago

hello good sirs, Im from Philippines and Im planning to take the ASCP exams for medical laboratory technologists, so I was just wondering if i pass the ASCP exam is it possible for me to work in Japan as a MLT?? I mean of course there will be more requirements but were there any cases of people from outside japan that are working now in japan using their college degrees???? Any insights will be greatly appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SAS80 in Staunton, Virginia

22 months ago

Help!!! No paperwork, medical filing, or Nursing!!!!
Hello, my name is Shannon and I am really confused on what to take for college. I am a single mother who at this time in life will not be able to relocate out of the current place where I live for at least another ten years due to circumstances regarding my child and family. I was thinking about going to college for an Associate of Science Degree specializing in Biotechnology , but I am terrified of wasting my time doing so because everybody is telling me I will never be able to find a job with this degree. I was also thinking that my options might be better if I try to get a Medical Lab Technician Associate transfer degree and if I can't find work with this degree then I will transfer to receive my BS in Biotechnology and then get certification for a Medical Lab Technologist. I am really confused and would love to have anyone's opinion on these matters. I've thought and thought about other degrees I could get, but my interests always come back to working in a lab. I love work that requires investigation and science, but time and location are not on my side. I live in a little city in the middle of country with only three hospitals within 70 miles of each other, it is very small and very small minded. Does anyone think that I would be able to find work with any of these degrees near the area where I live? I also heard someone tell me to get a degree for Nursing Technologist. Has anyone heard of this job and what it entails? I thought that this may be a better option because if I can't find work in a lab I could fall back on Nursing. Any advice will help. Sorry for the long life story!lol

Zeelani in Baltimore, Maryland

21 months ago

Ok, I have a question for either mlt's or mt's. I've been thinking about becoming a mlt but was wondering just how bad the smells are in a lab. I have a very weak stomach and can't stand very bad, strong odors. This is actually the main thing that is keeping me from pursuing this field right now. Any responses would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

21 months ago

And I'm actually in dc, not Baltimore. I don't know why it says that.

Nile in Somerset, Kentucky

21 months ago

If your just in the lab the smell isn't bad at all. But depending on what you are working on in the lab then that's where you get the nasty smells. Bad smells dont come from the lab they come from the Stool samples, urine, certain bacteria and other various things you might be working on. It can get pretty bad. I know speaking for myself, I never had a rough time with the smell of anything... I always had a rough time handling sputum samples. It still grosses me out.

21 months ago

Are you guys allowed to wear face masks in the lab to help with smells? Also, do u usually have to deal with stool samples on a daily basis. I'm sure I can handle the other stuff, I just think the idea of handling feces grosses me out a little. If the odor wasn't that bad I think I could deal with it.

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas

21 months ago

Zeelani in Baltimore, Maryland said: Are you guys allowed to wear face masks in the lab to help with smells? Also, do u usually have to deal with stool samples on a daily basis. I'm sure I can handle the other stuff, I just think the idea of handling feces grosses me out a little. If the odor wasn't that bad I think I could deal with it.

In the blood bank, hematology and chemistry areas of the lab smells are not a problem at all. You're dealing with whole blood, serum and plasma, which is odorless. You may have to deal with stinky urine if the area involves urinalysis however.

If you dislike smells, stay far away from microbiology. This is where the majority of fecal and urine specimens are sent. I'm not even sure what smells worse, the initial specimen sent to the lab or that god-awful pure Bacteroides fragilis culture you might end up isolating from that sample. That being said, smell is helpful to have a presumptive identification of an organism as some bacteria have very unique smells: Pseudomonas smells like tortillas, Eikinella smells like bleach, Group F Streptococcus smell like butter. It's pretty fascinating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AprilS in Fairview Heights, Illinois

20 months ago

I just have a question for you regerding licensure and job opportunities in Japan. My husband is in the US Air Force and we are thinking of taking an assignment near Okanawa, and I am almost done with my MLT program. Would getting a job in Japan be difficult for me?

Lang in Tokyo, Japan said: Im MLT here in Japan, and i am currently the supervisor of  hematology, coagulation, urinalysis and toxicology. All I have is my AS  and my ASCP cert.  at the current hospital that I'm working at I brought up our CAP proficiency testing overal score from a 88 to a 100%  and passed our CAP inspection and the joint commission inspection. I do everything from new lot switching to  correlation studies and more.  I work  in all aspects of the lab to. I worked in chemistry , blood bank , and micro. It's not only running the benches but it's also ensuring that all equipment is update and inspected along with verifying all test are current and the QC logs are properly filled out too..  I do body fluids, matter of fact I just did 5 in one day, and all from the ER. Two CSF, two synovial, and one pleural fluid. Everything was spot on and  our pathologist had  to review because there were blasts and other abnormal WBC. plus, I know the patients and I got to see thier treatment.  I want to go for MT though. I love the field. It's a great field knowing that your helping people. And that goes for both MT and MLT.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.