MT New York State licensure: can anyone help me out?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Erica in Rochester, Minnesota

14 months ago

I just graduated from Mayo Clinic's Clinical Laboratory Science program in Minnesota and I'm about to take the ASCP board exam for MT. I'm looking for a job in New York.

From what I've read on the NYSED website, the ASCP exam doubles as the NYS exam. Cool.

The NYSED also says that an "adjusted" score of 75 on the ASCP is required for NYS licensure. Does that mean I have to score 750/1000 points on the ASCP exam (which is an incredible score)? Or can I assume that if I pass the ASCP exam, I have satisfied NYSED and will be granted licensure? Essentially, what do they mean by "adjusted"?

If anyone has any insight on this (any recent NY grads??) that would be stellar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

njbiodude in New Jersey

14 months ago

You don't need a 750.

Why you would come into the overtaxed poverty hell of NY I have no idea. Does making 50k a year in NYC and paying 1250 a month for a crappy place with a roommate in some shady outer borough and getting slammed by the NYC state and city tax sound good (~10% on top of federal taxes)?

Better states to be a CLS:
Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, California, Michigan...

Just warning ya

medlabtalk in Fair Lawn, New Jersey

14 months ago

Erica in Rochester, Minnesota said: I just graduated from Mayo Clinic's Clinical Laboratory Science program in Minnesota and I'm about to take the ASCP board exam for MT. I'm looking for a job in New York.

From what I've read on the NYSED website, the ASCP exam doubles as the NYS exam. Cool.

The NYSED also says that an "adjusted" score of 75 on the ASCP is required for NYS licensure. Does that mean I have to score 750/1000 points on the ASCP exam (which is an incredible score)? Or can I assume that if I pass the ASCP exam, I have satisfied NYSED and will be granted licensure? Essentially, what do they mean by "adjusted"?

If anyone has any insight on this (any recent NY grads??) that would be stellar.

Apply for the NY state license now pay the 300 something. Take the ASCP, just pass, doesn't matter the score. And just like that you get your license. Ny state takes about a month. So send your application now. Because they are slow.

Medlabtalk

carl in Elmhurst, New York

13 months ago

Erica in Rochester, Minnesota said: I just graduated from Mayo Clinic's Clinical Laboratory Science program in Minnesota and I'm about to take the ASCP board exam for MT. I'm looking for a job in New York.

Hi Erica,

I'm also a fresh grad. Have you applied for the temporary license?
I can't find any lab to get me employed so that I could pass my temporary license application.

please help!

New York Mets in new york, New York

13 months ago

Although the same exam, the way the scores are calculated is different. There has been a huge debate on this matter, but from what I know NYS score conversion is more lenient than the actual ASCP exam. Hence, NY state conversion rate makes the ASCP test easier although it is the same exam. Over in NYS, you take the 'state' NYS exam(not national ASCP) if you graduate from a non-NAACLS school. If you graduate from a NAACLS school you take the national ASCP. Both are same exams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mona in Maspeth, New York

3 months ago

Regulations state that a converted score of 75% is required.

labor.ny.gov/stats/olcny/clinical-laboratory-technology.shtm

njbiodude in New Jersey said: You don't need a 750.

Why you would come into the overtaxed poverty hell of NY I have no idea. Does making 50k a year in NYC and paying 1250 a month for a crappy place with a roommate in some shady outer borough and getting slammed by the NYC state and city tax sound good (~10% on top of federal taxes)?

Better states to be a CLS:
Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, California, Michigan...

Just warning ya

Blu in New York, New York

2 months ago

carl in Elmhurst, New York said: Hi Erica,

I'm also a fresh grad. Have you applied for the temporary license?
I can't find any lab to get me employed so that I could pass my temporary license application.

please help!

You couldn't find a job? Which program did u go to? And u need to work in a lab before passing?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.