Microbiology vs. Cell & Molecular Bio. (med tech prerequisites)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Anonymous in Birmingham, Alabama

17 months ago

I've been accepted into a master's program for CLS. The only biology prerequisites are microbiology and genetics, but they substituted my cellular/molecular biology for micro. I have a few weeks before classes start, and I'm wondering if it's in my best interest to do some self-study on micro...or to just go with the flow and jump right in.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas

17 months ago

Anonymous in Birmingham, Alabama said: I've been accepted into a master's program for CLS. The only biology prerequisites are microbiology and genetics, but they substituted my cellular/molecular biology for micro. I have a few weeks before classes start, and I'm wondering if it's in my best interest to do some self-study on micro...or to just go with the flow and jump right in.

Thanks!

As long as they have clinical micro as part of the curriculum, you'll be just fine. Maybe review the difference between gram negative, gram positive and acid fast. Read up the common pathogens such as staph, strep, enterococcus, bacillus, E. coli, Klebsiella. Your lectures will cover all of this, but if you wanna be proactive, you can start there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hongmei Li in Nashville, Tennessee

16 months ago

I have looked around over a week to register a Hematology and a Clinical Microbiology online courses for the 2013 Fall. UC Davis and National University only provide in Spring. I tried Weber State but haven't been able to contact the advisor, Cindi. Was she oot for a long while? Does anyone know other sources for 2013 Fall online courses?

Mike in Melbourne, Florida

16 months ago

Hongmei Li in Nashville, Tennessee said: I have looked around over a week to register a Hematology and a Clinical Microbiology online courses for the 2013 Fall. UC Davis and National University only provide in Spring. I tried Weber State but haven't been able to contact the advisor, Cindi. Was she oot for a long while? Does anyone know other sources for 2013 Fall online courses?

National only offers it for the spring? I go there, I find that unusual. They've always had any courses I needed. They use a one course per month format so they rotate classes pretty fast.

16 months ago

Mike in Melbourne, Florida said: National only offers it for the spring? I go there, I find that unusual. They've always had any courses I needed. They use a one course per month format so they rotate classes pretty fast.

I would have thought so. But I called them last Thursday and one coordinator told the next course would be provided on March 3 next year. Are u talking about the online or on campus? And may I ask when did u go there? I need to look for online.

16 months ago

I'm talking about online. I live in FL and the brick and mortar campuses are in California, so I have no other option but to do the online courses there. I'm still attending online; right now I'm taking health science research. I'm not sure about the on-campus courses, but I think NU is more online-oriented than anything else now since it seems to be their bread and butter. I really like the school, and I hope it works out for you there. I have no other information on any other schools to provide unfortunately and there are almost no online CLS options besides NU and a couple others.

Just a heads up: NU is not accredited by NAACLS. That's not a big deal depending on your state and their licensing requirements but if you want to get NAACLS certified you'll need to complete an NAACLS-approved lab rotation before applying for certification. You can still get certified through AAB and others, though, which are accepted here in Florida. As far as I know, there are no NAACLS-accredited online CLS programs that don't require you to already be working in the lab.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Mike in Melbourne, Florida said: I'm talking about online. I live in FL and the brick and mortar campuses are in California, so I have no other option but to do the online courses there. I'm still attending online; right now I'm taking health science research. I'm not sure about the on-campus courses, but I think NU is more online-oriented than anything else now since it seems to be their bread and butter. I really like the school, and I hope it works out for you there. I have no other information on any other schools to provide unfortunately and there are almost no online CLS options besides NU and a couple others.

Just a heads up: NU is not accredited by NAACLS. That's not a big deal depending on your state and their licensing requirements but if you want to get NAACLS certified you'll need to complete an NAACLS-approved lab rotation before applying for certification. You can still get certified through AAB and others, though, which are accepted here in Florida. As far as I know, there are no NAACLS-accredited online CLS programs that don't require you to already be working in the lab.

Mike, thank you for the reminding. I kept inquiring and have found the class in Weber. Just you may know that the unit price at NU is higher than a few others.

16 months ago

Hongmei Li in Nashville, Tennessee said: Mike, thank you for the reminding. I kept inquiring and have found the class in Weber. Just you may know that the unit price at NU is higher than a few others.

Yeah, I know. They're less expensive than some other schools for out of state tuition though and the one course per month format works well for my purposes. Good luck to you at Weber.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.