Pharmacy vs. Medical Technology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Perspective in Rochester, New York

57 months ago

From the pharmacy boards:

[QUOTE]I am in a situation similar to your moms. I took a retirement from my government job 2 years ago, then worked as a pharmacist in a mail order pharmacy for almost 2 years. Worked like a machine, but for good pay. Despite all that is said to the contrary almost all pharmacy jobs are "lick and stick" dispensing jobs. I don't want any part of them. Pharmacy is one field that experience and background counts for next to nothing. You essentially are a licensed robot, and that's it. The reason there is a current shortage in most areas is that the chains have been expanding, and they need human fodder for their operations. With the greatly increased number of pharmacists who will be graduating within the next few years, you can expect a glut on the way in 3-4 years. All this nonsense about increased demand due to aging population is a lot of bull. Vastly improved technology is on the way as well as licensed technicians. The role of the pharmacist is more easily delegated to other disciplines than almost any other health care field !!

www.indeed.com/forum/job/pharmacist/Alternative-Careers-Pharmacy/t40277

Remember, the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ifwishwerehorses in Centereach, New York

57 months ago

Well, you have complainers, whiners, for all types of jobs. Pharmacy is generally higher paid, but then again they require longer education. But some people still complain on this board "why didn't i become a pharmacist?"

But the way I see it with the pharmacy field - the techs are taking over. Hence, the glut in jobs already out there. Techs get trained in 3 months, and basically perform the same functions as a pharmacist! (hence, the complaining about MLT's here) But pharm techs only start off at 10 bucks per hour! Hence companies are saving tons, by having just 1 or 2 pharmacists and loads of techies.

in fact there was a article from 2 years ago, when pharm techs got popular - that rite aid allowed them to run the counter! seems like the pharmacist had left for the day, and left them in charge.

i've asked a cvs manager out in LI, and he told me new pharmacists only get paid 50k starting! that's kinda crazy, when there is barely and cheap pharmacy school in this country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

57 months ago

In CA, pharmacists start at $60 an hr. It is good money but 4 years of pharmacy school can easily run you at $100K debt for public and $160K for private schools. That means you're looking at a $1,000+ monthly student loan payment for 10 to 15 years which will reduce your effective monthly income to that of a CA CLS or RN without any loans. I say that because CLSs and RNs get paid about the same here.

Pharmacists at drugstores like CVS don't seem like they have it that good. As mentioned above, they basically count pills or sign off what the pharm techs do. Every time I go get medicine at my local Target, I can see how they would get stressed with customers coming by constantly harassing them about getting their medicine. It seems even more stressful than a doctor or nurse calling you for results since the customer is right there standing at the counter waiting for you to work.

I definitely wouldn't like that. If I was a pharmacist, I would work in the hospital where I wouldn't have to deal with customers constantly asking for their medicine. Then again, I'm sure hospital pharmacists have their own issues to deal with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

FORMER NEW YORKER in Lewisville, Texas

57 months ago

Pharmacy was only a BS degree 10 years ago. There are tons of pharmacy schools opening up, so they are in the verge of a surplus.

I have applied to pharmacy schools last year, some schools have 120 slots and 3400 applicants. They all want to make 50-60/hour.

The reason why they make so much is because there is not a lower degree that can do the same job. If they created a nurse pharmacy speciality, the wages would go down substantially b.c they have alternate cheaper way to verify scripts.

The point is there are plenty of types of jobs for pharmacists:

Community Pharmacy (Independent)
Retail (CVS, Walgreen, etc)
Hospital (staff, of clinical pharmacist)

They all have something in common, they all require a pharmD, so if your in HARRISIBURG PA, or ORLANDO FL, you will be still making the 50/hour.

Unlike Medical Technology, people are leaving Florida 20/hour for California 30-40/hour. Its all about location in Medical Technology, not about standards and a license which should lead to standard pay like other ancillary professions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

FORMER NEW YORKER in Lewisville, Texas said: Pharmacy was only a BS degree 10 years ago. There are tons of pharmacy schools opening up, so they are in the verge of a surplus.

I have applied to pharmacy schools last year, some schools have 120 slots and 3400 applicants. They all want to make 50-60/hour.

The reason why they make so much is because there is not a lower degree that can do the same job. If they created a nurse pharmacy speciality, the wages would go down substantially b.c they have alternate cheaper way to verify scripts.

The point is there are plenty of types of jobs for pharmacists:

Community Pharmacy (Independent)
Retail (CVS, Walgreen, etc)
Hospital (staff, of clinical pharmacist)

They all have something in common, they all require a pharmD, so if your in HARRISIBURG PA, or ORLANDO FL, you will be still making the 50/hour.

Unlike Medical Technology, people are leaving Florida 20/hour for California 30-40/hour. Its all about location in Medical Technology, not about standards and a license which should lead to standard pay like other ancillary professions.

Do you work for a Pharmacy school?

Todd MLS (ASCP) in Edmond, Oklahoma

57 months ago

Persective go to any site for a pharmacy school, you will see the data first hand.

There are thousands that apply for 100-200 slots per school. That is just reality.

They have standards, therefore high pay.

There was just a article posting by the California AMA and California Anast. Society that they are trying to lobby for Nurse Anes. to have a MD Anast. available at all times.

Why are they trying to lobby? B/c it is taking money away from the MDs since they are using cheap labor (nurse anes) for half the cost of a MD Anast.

The MD are saying that this lawsuit is for patient safety, that is a bunch of BullSh*t, they are just pissed off like b/c a lower degree is doing their job for 1/2 the cost, and they have more student loans to repay.

So this is very common argument, what profession is going to follow? Pharmacy? Are they going to create a nurse pharmacist? That makes 30/hour? Instead of paying the pharmacist 60/hour?

57 months ago

Todd MLS (ASCP) in Edmond, Oklahoma said: Persective go to any site for a pharmacy school, you will see the data first hand.

There are thousands that apply for 100-200 slots per school. That is just reality.

They have standards, therefore high pay.

There was just a article posting by the California AMA and California Anast. Society that they are trying to lobby for Nurse Anes. to have a MD Anast. available at all times.

Why are they trying to lobby? B/c it is taking money away from the MDs since they are using cheap labor (nurse anes) for half the cost of a MD Anast.

The MD are saying that this lawsuit is for patient safety, that is a bunch of BullSh*t, they are just pissed off like b/c a lower degree is doing their job for 1/2 the cost, and they have more student loans to repay.

So this is very common argument, what profession is going to follow? Pharmacy? Are they going to create a nurse pharmacist? That makes 30/hour? Instead of paying the pharmacist 60/hour?

I'm not disputing that they pay is better. But that pay also means two things:

1. Jobs are much harder to come by (hence the surplus)

2. Pharmacists fear government healthcare reform, because their wages are the result of an arbitrary legal bubble that is easily popped.

CLS48 in California

57 months ago

Todd MLS (ASCP) in Edmond, Oklahoma said:

Interesting thought. That would be something if they make a nurse pharmacist for half the money. They have PAs and NPs giving out prescriptions now when you go to you go to see your family doctor. Might as well cut costs in the pharmacy seeing as how their job is a piece of cake. Then pharmacists would get pissed off like CLSs are to MLTs lol.

57 months ago

CLS48 in California said: Interesting thought. That would be something if they make a nurse pharmacist for half the money. They have PAs and NPs giving out prescriptions now when you go to you go to see your family doctor. Might as well cut costs in the pharmacy seeing as how their job is a piece of cake. Then pharmacists would get pissed off like CLSs are to MLTs lol.

Or, for that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the development of a "Certified Pharmacy Technologist".

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.