Preparing to take ASCP MT exam in three weeks time

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 3020)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

SD in South Bend, Indiana

72 months ago

Ann in Meridian, Mississippi said: I took the test yesterday. I did not get the results. They said they would be mailed within ten days does that mean I failed?

From what I have heard, only when you fail the exam do they put up the entire results on the screen...ie what percent of questions you missed in the different sections of the exam. But if you passed, then it just says PASS on the screen at the end of the exam, without any breakdown of the scores and you get the results in the mail after 10 days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Meridian, Mississippi

72 months ago

SD in South Bend, Indiana said: From what I have heard, only when you fail the exam do they put up the entire results on the screen...ie what percent of questions you missed in the different sections of the exam. But if you passed, then it just says PASS on the screen at the end of the exam, without any breakdown of the scores and you get the results in the mail after 10 days.

Thanks maybe I still have hope of passing. I did not get any kind of result. Just said scores would be mailed in 10 days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chu in North Las Vegas, Nevada

72 months ago

hi SD! thank for the reply..im busy looking for a job now in vegas.i already have my employmnet authorization document.im hoping to find a job really soon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

CONGRATS PEARL AND NYC!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ann in Meridian, Mississippi

72 months ago

Vino in Fullerton, California said: Yes....you failed. Better luck next time

Just wanted you to know I got my letter in the mail today and I PASSED!!!!!

Chi in San Francisco, California

72 months ago

CLS48 in California said: Chu, your question is vague. You probably could find the answer in any review book. Paul by the time I got to question 50 I thought I had failed already. I was surprised to see that I passed after the test.

I mostly studied review questions from the green study book ascp provided and it didn't help me much. I studied for probably 3 weeks a few hours every day.

Do you have materials that you use to pass the test and want to sell it? I just moved to California and will hav to take the ASCP again, I took it in 1991.
thanks

Dana in Roanoke, Virginia

72 months ago

SD in South Bend, Indiana said: THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for all your good wishes. I just took the exam this afternoon and PASSED!! The exam was very tricky, but hey, if I can pass it after coming down with a cold and taking the exam on a groggy head burning up with fever, there is hope for all of you to pass! For those who are preparing to take it soon, make sure you know the disease states really well...i.e. what lab tests (mostly chemistry and hematology) you would expect with various diseases...the exam has tons of questions of that kind. Chu, I was really surprised that I had no panels at all in the exam. Ofcourse, since the exam is randomized, that doesnt mean that noone will get panels in their exam. Also, no parasitology questions at all...not even one! And to think of all the hours I spent memorizing what they all look like. Only a couple from mycology and immunology. My exam was mostly blood bank, micro, chem and hematology. And to reiterate, know the disease states. Hope this helps you prepare...and good luck to everyone else! :)

I had 3 panels! So, it just shows that it is luck of the draw.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

CONGRATULATIONS DANA! gOOd JOB!

Vino in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

ann in Meridian, Mississippi said: Just wanted you to know I got my letter in the mail today and I PASSED!!!!!

Yes, but to pass technically you kinda have to fail as well. Remember the 60%. Sorry about my sarcasm but failing is passing. LOL. Funny concept.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

hi she,

i took the ASCPi exam and i used the following review materials:Robert Harr,Pearl of wisdom by Valerie Polansky and the Green book of ASCP.the queastions are more on case studies.Goodluck and Godbless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

she in The Valley, Anguilla

71 months ago

chu in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: hi she,

i took the ASCPi exam and i used the following review materials:Robert Harr,Pearl of wisdom by Valerie Polansky and the Green book of ASCP.the queastions are more on case studies.Goodluck and Godbless

hi chu thanks for the reply... i'll definitely order that right away..

danny in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

71 months ago

she in The Valley, Anguilla said: hi chu thanks for the reply... i'll definitely order that right away..

I would recommend the reviewer by ciulla plus the green book of ASCP. Just analyze the questions then consult Henry if you'll not happy with your review progress.

NS in Texas in New Holland, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

she in The Valley, Anguilla said: hi i am planning to take the ascp exam but the problem is i only have the ascp bor green book and the 21st edition of henry as review materials. can anyone suggests other references or books that's very beneficial and i could purchase online. thanks.. help appreciated..

I took the ASCP last week and passed. I studied from my school notes, Robert Harr and Quick Review cards by Polansky.I think these cards are really good and easy to remember. I had a lot of panels and lots of QC on the exam, some were really hard, I never heard of them. But go through everything and practice as much multiple choice Qs as you can and you will do fine. The book by Robert Harr has good explanations to the answers and it helped me. Also, dont forget QC!!Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

NS in Texas in New Holland, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

Also, I was so stressed out because I had a job offer but it was contingent on my passing the exam, failing the exam would have costed me both the job and my visa. So if I can pass it under twice the pressure, anyone can!!

Also, the comments have really helped me. Thankyou everybody and good luck to those who are preparing to take the test.

Belinda Ammanathu Ramankutty in Omak, Washington

71 months ago

NS in Texas said: I have not taken the test yet but I thought it tells you if you passed or failed right away...am I wrong?

you could see right away if you passed or failed..Indeed you are not wrong!!

Belinda Ammanathu Ramankutty in Omak, Washington

71 months ago

I am currently working as Medical Technologist here in Washington having my ASCPi.Now I would like to ask if I could convert my ASCPi to ASCP? Is there any difference anyway? What will I do? Could you help me or advise me regarding this? Thank you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Aaron in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

you can take either the ascp or nca. If you did not pass the ascp take the nca. They are in the transition to unite, so if you have the the NCA or ASCP(BOR) they will form to ONE UNIFYING agency. You better do it soon because the merge will happen in a year or so, then you will only have ONE CHOICE b/c the agencies will be combined.

monika in Chicago, Illinois

71 months ago

Hi everyone,

Im going to take the ASCP in a few weeks, only the hematolgoy portion, does anyone have any pointers for me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Janjan in Mesquite, Texas

71 months ago

chu in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: hi she,

Hello chu, I'm reviewing for the ASCPi exam and I also have the same books: robert harr,pearl of wisdom and the green book of ascp. Is this enough to pass the exam? Pls. reply, thanks.

71 months ago

hi janjan!

those are the only reviewers i used for the ASCPi.i think those are enough.

just learn to correlate tha lab results with the disease entity and youll be fine.as ive said,the test is more on case studies.Goodluck and Godbless

rani in Saint Petersburg, Florida

71 months ago

HELLO EVERYBODY I AM TAKING MY ASCP EXAM IN FEW WEEKS ANY SUGGETIONS, I AM SCARED FOR THAT EXAM, WHAT BOOKS TO STUDY.PLZ....

Maverick in Lewisville, Texas

71 months ago

Its 100 questions, you will know if you pass or failed at the end. Its based on a tier system. If you get a question right you get a harder question, then if you get it wrong u get a easier question, I thought I failed b/c the questions really GOT HARD, but luckly I passed. If you are taking the generalist exam study the questions from the green book. Also, ascp website has a couple of practice tests that you can study from. Rani, if you do fail the ascp, take the NCA, they are in the process of merging. So if you have one of the two under your belt you will automatically get grandfathered into the new agency. If you do fail the ascp, go to the NCA website and take the NCA right away. I am not sure how soon the merge is going to come, but right now there is two tests.

Maverick in Lewisville, Texas

71 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Selina in Georgetown, Guyana

71 months ago

Hi I would like to take the ASCPi test. any advise from anyone will be helpful. i want to be prepared before i apply for it since i have been out of the medical system for a while. I would like to apply by next month is it enough time to prepare?

70 months ago

hi selina! i took my ASCPi exam last sept.i studied for almost 2 months and i did pass the exam.the test is more on case studies.correlating the lab results with the disease.

Goodluck on your exam

monika in Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

Hi everyone, I just took my ASCP exam for Technologist in Hematology and I PASSED! What a relief.I studied for about three months, made note cards on everything and I was surprised that I actually thought the test was pretty easy. I finished the test in about an hour. One thing that helped me is that I found that every disorder or disease is associated with a key word or clinical finding. So when I studied, I made sure I understood what key word correlated with which disease or disorder. For example auer rods are always associated with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia or Philadelphia Chromosome (9:22)is associated with a Lymphocytic Leukemia If anyone have any questions on hematology, feel free to send me a comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Saju in Irvine, California

70 months ago

Hi SD, I guess I am in the same situation as you are....struggling to get my H1 visa and stay in the country...so am planing on taking ASCP CLS examination for Microbiology. I have completed my Bachelor's in Medical Laboratory Technology and Master's in Medical Microbiology from back home. Do you think it will be better to try for CLS general or Microbiology. Please Advice.

SD in South Bend, Indiana said: Hi,

I'm preparing to take the ASCP MT exam in three weeks time and I am freaking out. I am relying on passing this exam inorder to process an H1 visa, and so I desperately need to pass the exam just in order for me to even stay in this country. Talk about pressure! I wish I had more time to study, but I dont. Has anyone taken the exam recently? Any study tips for me? At this stage, I figure it's impossible for me to sit down with big bulky textbooks and start reading them so I'm relying heavily on the Polanksy review cards to study...and the green ASCP book. Any other pointers, anyone? Do the practise tests available online for the ASCP help at all with the exam? HELP. I'd appreciate any comments or advice at all :(

70 months ago

I just realized I put a link to the wrong thing. I meant to say, you might want to take a look at this book - NCA Review for CLS by Susan Becks. For some reason, I cant put up the link to it here...but you can search for it in amazon.

The other link that I provided shows you what kind of content you'd need to have a good understanding of in order to pass the ASCP MT general exam. If you decide to take that exam, you might want to go through this checklist and make sure that you understand all the concepts here well:
www.ascp.org/pdf/ExaminationContentGuidelinesMT.aspx

Hopefully, this helps you.

KG in North Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

WHICH EXAM IS EASY ASCP OR NCA FOR MT'S

Sajad in Irvine, California

70 months ago

I am yet to take one but I guess ASCP is harder because it is a national board exam. hope it helps.

Ricky in Lewisville, Texas

70 months ago

take the NCA its cheaper and its no so much theory based. I have both, under my belt when i graduated. You only need one. If you just graduted from a CLS program I would say take the ASCP, but if your not theory oriented and more applications based take the NCA. Both exams are GOOD. They both have theory, but NCA has a little less theory. Dont take both b/c they are going to merge, and they both require CE now.

Ricky in Lewisville, Texas

70 months ago

None of the exams are easy, you nave to study well for them. If you dont study you will fail guarenteed. You have to know theory and application in both.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

hi RICKY! just want to ask u something.i want to take the NCA exam but do i really need to have working experience to take that exam?i saw the application form of NCA and theres a part where they ask for working experience..can i skip that part or i really need to have working experience?

please help

Saber in dallas, Texas

70 months ago

Chu do you have your CLS degree from here? and was it w/in 5 years? if you have your CLS degree from the US and it was w/in 5 years your eligble to take the test, otherwise you need working experience as a generalist if you want to take the NCA generalist exam. CHU NCA is EXACTLY like the ASCP, they both require CE, and all university encourage their students to take either NCA or ASCP. Many have taken both. You dont have to know since they are merging, but the requirements are EXACTLY the same as the ASCP. Either a CLS/MT degree with in the past 5 years, or 3-5 years of clinical experience as a generalist. If I am mistaken please go to the website and give them a call. If you are eligible I suggest taken it soon, b/c the combined agency I am hearing is coming next year, then there will be only ONE test available.

James BS MT (ASCP) CLS (NCA) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Both are good test, one is more theory oriented than the other. If you just graduated CHU take the ASCP, but if you have been working for a while take the NCA. Both agencies have the same requirements so you MUST have those requirments in order to be eligible

70 months ago

hi JAMES.im not eligible to take the ASCP nor NCA since i dont have working experiece

70 months ago

hi SABER! i dont have both. so i guess i sholid take AMT instead

thank u SABER

thank u JAMES

70 months ago

Chu were did you get ur degree from? I suggest not to take the AMT b/c you will have a hard time finding a job, especially now they are going to merge.

70 months ago

i got mine from the Phillipines..
i dont have a choice but to take AMT

by the way are u a filipino?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

With alot of degrees overseas you have to be careful in trying to find a job with those credentials. Most american certification agencies or licensures just take students that completed course work in an american university eligible to sit for either cert. I realize you have no choice but to take the AMT, but you might want to consider taking CLT/MT courses so you can be eligible for the ASCP or NCA. You will be very limited where you would be able to work as well as you will forget alot of the theory if you just find a job that takes the AMT. Its only like a extra year, if you really want to work in the clinical lab you might want to look into that.

P2080 in Gulf Breeze, Florida

70 months ago

I am looking for Certified MT with visa screen and H1...and willing to move to Alabama...email me twinklecp@gmail.com

70 months ago

...If you're as desperate for a job as I was, you might want to increase your odds by doing the CLS general exam.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
:)

BG in Lake Grove, New York

70 months ago

hi SD,
i am at the situation as you were and we talked before to get H1 and visa screen certificate so the ascp test is also very important for me, i tried once but could not pass. And i took the date for second try but is it a good idea to take NCA rather than ASCP? could you please advise me? Thanks for your help

MW in Columbia, South Carolina

70 months ago

CLS48 in California said: Yes I would say it was more analytical and there wasn't any of the questions from the green book on the actual test. It is computerized and the way it works is, if you are getting alot of questions wrong, the computer is smart and starts giving you easy questions. If you are getting them right, the questions become harder.

It is also lopsided in that, it is only 100 questions but you may get 30 questions on micro and maybe only 10 on blood bank while another person may get the opposite. So, you have to basically know all departments well or just get lucky in getting the most questions from the subject you know best.

The best and worst part is that it tells you if you pass or fail, right after you take the test on the computer so you know right away.

Everything you just said is soooo true, I took the exam today and I was almost in tears because I thought I failed, but to my surprise, I passed. The greenbook is $55.00 down the drain!

70 months ago

BG in Lake Grove, New York said: hi SD,
i am at the situation as you were and we talked before to get H1 and visa screen certificate so the ascp test is also very important for me, i tried once but could not pass. And i took the date for second try but is it a good idea to take NCA rather than ASCP? could you please advise me? Thanks for your help

Hi BG,
I personally did find the NCA exam easier than the ASCP exam. Dont get me wrong, it is not an easy exam, you still have to read and prepare for it, but it is definitely much easier than the ASCP. From what I have heard, ASCP and NCA are in the process of merging so it doesnt even matter which out of the two exams you do anymore, they will count as the same. Given that you had a hard time with the ASCP exam and that you really need to get licensure in order to process the visa screen certificate, I'd say yes, go ahead and take the NCA exam. Use the NCA review book by Susan Becks. I'd say the questions in the book are fairly similar (more or less of equal difficulty) as those on the actual exam. Also, if I were you, register to take the NCA exam as soon as you can, because the visa screen certificate process does take some time. It took me three months to get my visa screen certificate...CGFNS is very disorganized so be prepared for them to lose your documents several times and for you to mail those documents over and over again.

All the best! :)

Jim in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

The ASCP is alot of theory very little application, NCA has 50% theory 50% application. Both test are a tier system, as in they get harder every time you answer the question right. You need a certain amount correct to pass both test. And yes, you will know if you passed at the end of both tests. Both organizations needs CE, and since they are merging just take one. I took both when I graduated. You need to study hard for both, both are good tests. Probably in the next couple of months there will only be ONE test b/c according to the email I recieved they are putting the finishing touches on names of organization, etc. So study hard b/c you will only have one option in a couple of months.

Paul in Fort Worth, Texas

70 months ago

I took the exam on December 15. I believe I failed it because when I finished it at the end of it, I read the word highlighted like in purple letters, "fail". I didn't see my score to see what I need to pass. This test was the hardes exam I ever took. I had only 2 cell panels, and they were fairly easy. One wanted you to rule out and the other wanted you to rule in, the question was if you had the following, C, E, Jk something pick out the one that says that... I don't even remember the exam, but it wasn't anything like I thought it would be, none of the questions I saw on the lab game were on there, I had to only ID one picture and I couldn't make it out all that well. It looked like a bunch of Epi's with some white cells with on a stain I had never seen. But yeah, they don't ask you things like, identify this WBC or Waxy Cast. Its real analytical stuff over disease states and stuff... I hope I read my exam status wrong but I doubt it, I'm preparing to take that exam again, I gotta pay another $200.00 and wait till Jan26, to see when I can take it again.. If I fail,again, I'm gonna take the AMT exam. I'll pass one of them, I'm hoping to pass the ASCP one tho. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Fort Worth, Texas

70 months ago

sam in Taylor, Michigan said: I just took the exam 2 weeks ago missed passing by 10 points. My advice is don't panic it will just work against you & even more difficult to concentrate. I encountered questions found Henry's Clinical Diagnosis text:tips study most common diseases :
Chemistry example-Diabetis,Liver Function,Cardiac Markers know your charts enzyme elevation. Renal water, electrolytes and acid-base balance. Must master the physiology renal function. they will give example blood gas result and you will need to interpret. Know most common calculation in lab manual ldl,anion gap,FTI. Hope this info helps.
I

Sam at the end of your exam did it say, "fail" ?? and where did you see your score?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BG in Lake Grove, New York

70 months ago

SD in South Bend, Indiana said: Hi BG,
I personally did find the NCA exam easier than the ASCP exam. Dont get me wrong, it is not an easy exam, you still have to read and prepare for it, but it is definitely much easier than the ASCP. From what I have heard, ASCP and NCA are in the process of merging so it doesnt even matter which out of the two exams you do anymore, they will count as the same. Given that you had a hard time with the ASCP exam and that you really need to get licensure in order to process the visa screen certificate, I'd say yes, go ahead and take the NCA exam. Use the NCA review book by Susan Becks. I'd say the questions in the book are fairly similar (more or less of equal difficulty) as those on the actual exam. Also, if I were you, register to take the NCA exam as soon as you can, because the visa screen certificate process does take some time. It took me three months to get my visa screen certificate...CGFNS is very disorganized so be prepared for them to lose your documents several times and for you to mail those documents over and over again.

All the best! :)

Hi SD,
thanks for your help. i know visa screen takes too long even though we submit everything they need. but ya i am going to take NCA and ASCP both and see which one works. thank you so much for your help. will let you know how i did on ASCP as i am planning to take in january

James in Scottsdale, Arizona

70 months ago

I am looking for a MT to manage a STAT Lab in Yuma, AZ. Anyone know someone that may be interested?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.