Preparing to take ASCP MT exam in three weeks time

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2351 to 2400 of 3314)
Page:  « First « Previous   45  46  47  48  49  50  51  Next »   Last »

Mb in New York, New York

36 months ago

Hi! I will be taking the MLS exam for new york within 3 mos. can somebody help me know what kind of materials i should use? Was it really hard? Should i use the labce online? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tfarnon in Sparks, Nevada

36 months ago

What I can tell you is that the labce program works best to point you towards where you are weakest. If you can't answer questions in a given area, you should review that area. The labce questions are much easier than the ASCP exam questions.

I took the test about a month ago, and it was a very hard exam. I passed, so I'm happy about that. During the exam, I found it useful to read the question, take a deep breath, tell myself I could figure it out, and go to work on the question. Rote memorization wouldn't have helped me much.

realpinoi in Los Angeles, California

36 months ago

Hello guys, I'm just wondering If someone can help me out. I have a B.S. Chemistry and I worked as a lab associate. Now my question is how can I take my limited license and where? Im not working right now. So, what process do I need to do?

smanandhar in Monroeville, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

I have bottom line approach 4th edition (like new) by Patsy. Please email me at kathgal@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nada in Jacksonville, North Carolina

36 months ago

hello Smanandhar ,, can I ask you how much you want for the book? and is it still in a good shape?
Thank you

36 months ago

smanandhar in Monroeville, Pennsylvania said: I have bottom line approach 4th edition (like new) by Patsy. Please email me at kathgal@gmail.com

hello Smanandhar ,, can I ask you how much you want for the book? and is it still in a good shape?
Thank you

36 months ago

Sandra in Gort, Ireland said: Hey there good luck to everyone studying! My exam is tomorrow!!EEeeeekks god can't wait till it's over, hopefully I'll be posting that I passed tomorrow evening !
Anyways I'm sure someone else has already found these but the "sketchymicro.com" website is great for remembering the micro-organisms and some of their characteristics. They only have 3 videos out yet (and I'm also pretty sure that in the Kleb/Entero/Serratia video that Serratia is a NLF)but they are really good and helped me memorise certain biochemical tests etc!

Also to Nada, I know you posted like nearly a month ago, but all the books and cards, etc that people have posted about here are all available from Amazon.com so maybe look them up there. You can get some ok deals on second hand ones and if you're already in the US then the postage won't be as bad as posting to Ireland!!

Thank you ,, I just saw your mesg.today. happy for you that you passed the exam.

easy_e in Brooklyn, New York

36 months ago

I need help. What areas should I concentrate for the exam? Any review books? Cards?

Hawk in Fresno, California

36 months ago

Hello,

When is your scheduled exam date? My advice would be to first go through all of these posts regarding this topic. There is a wealth of information to be had in these posts.
Second, pick a few good resources and concentrate on these. Here are my quick rundown on resources I used.

labce website: good resource to get an idea of where you stand, but not the end all be all resource, if one does exist.

A Bottom Line Approach by Patsy Jarruea: I really like this book; so much information in such a little package. Its pure memorization if used by itself, but used as a supplement to more in depth, proactive studying, and its pure gold.

MLS exam review by Robert Harr. Fantastic resource to study what you've learned, or, great to learn as you go.

ASCP BOR review book: good to answer questions but don't expect any of these questions to show up on the real exam.

Wordsology review website: Excellent resource that I highly recommend. Model your study habits after the notes listed on this website and you'll have no problem with the exam. Important note! The charts regarding microbiology are very concise and are exactly whats needed for the ASCP exam; so please memorize the charts. You can thank the person after you pass the exam.

Youtube: I know you're probably wondering why this is listed as a resource but I can tell you from experience that there are many fine lectures on youtube. I watched 3-4 videos that were intended mostly for medical school students. My favorite is user tomiwa007. I recommend the videos on bilirubin metabolism and respiratory acidosis; and any other ones you feel like watching. The way I see it is that when you learn a particular metabolic process and lab tests used to determine disease states of that process, you're relying on reasoning and logic, and not so much on memory.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

realpinoi in Buena Park, California

36 months ago

Hi guys. Can someone help out. Im a chemistry graduate and I want to take the exam for limited license. Can someone tell me where and how to apply n what is the reguirements. Tnx guys.

36 months ago

easy_e in Brooklyn, New York said: I need help. What areas should I concentrate for the exam? Any review books? Cards?

...continued from above.

as I was saying about the youtube videos. If you have time, please watch pertinent videos.

Polasky Quick Review Cards: These review cards get a lot of high marks from others, but for me they were not my cup of tea. I did use the ones for blood banking, mostly just one single card. The one that had all of the enzyme and dosage stuff. I would rather use A bottom line approach.

I would also recommend that you go through each section, coag, hematology, etc., after you have mastered the fundamentals, and write down commone dieseas states for each section. It's not as much work as you would think. And your more heavily weighted questions will based upon knowledge of disease states. Foe example, quickly go through the more common disease states of urinalysis, and note how they differ from each other. Do this for each section if you have time.

And my last recommendation; collect exam questions that users have posted on this forum, make sure you memorize these or maybe will already know them. At the very least, they;re gimmee points, and at best, they make the difference between passing and failing.

Don't stress too much, we've all been there. The good news is that most people who are posting on here take their exam approach seriously, which is the first step towards doing well.
Good luck on your exam, and let us know when you pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

tess in Bloomfield, New Jersey

36 months ago

i just took my exam last april 27, 2013. Unfortunately , I did not pass. I'll give some tips to new ASCP applicants on how to study for your exam. Just like the exam i had. You might be lucky to pass the exam.
tessie_oca18 @yahoo.com. Iwill try to take again the exam until I succeed. Good luck to all.

36 months ago

Hawk in Fresno, California said: Hello,

When is your scheduled exam date? My advice would be to first go through all of these posts regarding this topic. There is a wealth of information to be had in these posts.
Second, pick a few good resources and concentrate on these. Here are my quick rundown on resources I used.

labce website: good resource to get an idea of where you stand, but not the end all be all resource, if one does exist.

A Bottom Line Approach by Patsy Jarruea: I really like this book; so much information in such a little package. Its pure memorization if used by itself, but used as a supplement to more in depth, proactive studying, and its pure gold.

MLS exam review by Robert Harr. Fantastic resource to study what you've learned, or, great to learn as you go.

ASCP BOR review book: good to answer questions but don't expect any of these questions to show up on the real exam.

Wordsology review website: Excellent resource that I highly recommend. Model your study habits after the notes listed on this website and you'll have no problem with the exam. Important note! The charts regarding microbiology are very concise and are exactly whats needed for the ASCP exam; so please memorize the charts. You can thank the person after you pass the exam.

Youtube: I know you're probably wondering why this is listed as a resource but I can tell you from experience that there are many fine lectures on youtube. I watched 3-4 videos that were intended mostly for medical school students. My favorite is user tomiwa007. I recommend the videos on bilirubin metabolism and respiratory acidosis; and any other ones you feel like watching. The way I see it is that when you learn a particular metabolic process and lab tests used to determine disease states of that process, you're relying on reasoning and logic, and not so much on memory.

Thanks a Million Hawk. This is great information!

36 months ago

tess in Bloomfield, New Jersey said: i just took my exam last april 27, 2013. Unfortunately , I did not pass. I'll give some tips to new ASCP applicants on how to study for your exam. Just like the exam i had. You might be lucky to pass the exam.
tessie_oca18 @yahoo.com. Iwill try to take again the exam until I succeed. Good luck to all.

Tesssie that would be great!

Mb in Elmhurst, New York

36 months ago

easy_e in Brooklyn, New York said: I need help. What areas should I concentrate for the exam? Any review books? Cards?

Hi. When are you taking the exam? Do you need a study buddy? I'm from queens and I will be taking the exam on July.

36 months ago

I'll be taking it in September..and yea I need a study partner

Mb in Brooklyn, New York

36 months ago

If you want we can study together. Email me at lymelbugawan@yahoo.com

36 months ago

Mb in Brooklyn, New York said: If you want we can study together. Email me at lymelbugawan@yahoo.com

Sounds cool

Mb in Elmhurst, New York

36 months ago

easy_e in Brooklyn, New York said: Sounds cool

Hey! Email me again. I accidentally dleted your email. Thanks

wondering in Huntsville, Alabama

35 months ago

Does the actual work "fail come up if you don't pass. I took mine today and I saw the word PASS but then I started having a panic attack and didn't read the rest of the screen. Want to make sure I really passed. LOL I'm in denial still can't believe it.

Hawk in Manteca, California

35 months ago

wondering in Huntsville, Alabama said: Does the actual work "fail come up if you don't pass. I took mine today and I saw the word PASS but then I started having a panic attack and didn't read the rest of the screen. Want to make sure I really passed. LOL I'm in denial still can't believe it.

Hello,

Yes, the word "fail" actually comes up if you do pass.
Congratulations on passing!

35 months ago

Hawk in Manteca, California said: Hello,

Yes, the word "fail" actually comes up if you do pass.
Congratulations on passing!

Sorry, I meant, the word "failed" comes up if you do not pass the exam.

35 months ago

Hawk in Fresno, California said: Sorry, I meant, the word "failed" comes up if you do not pass the exam.

Thanks. Wish I had slowed down and read the rest of the page. I keep doubting myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tfarnon in Sparks, Nevada

35 months ago

I couldn't believe it when the word "PASS" came up on my screen, either. I don't know how much time I had left, although there was time left. I was so mentally drained by the end of the exam that I could barely process the fact that I had passed, and found myself standing in Trader Joe's (a supermarket) in the cheese section about 15 minutes later wondering what I was doing there. It was a very difficult exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

TFarnon in Sparks, Nevada said: I couldn't believe it when the word "PASS" came up on my screen, either. I don't know how much time I had left, although there was time left. I was so mentally drained by the end of the exam that I could barely process the fact that I had passed, and found myself standing in Trader Joe's (a supermarket) in the cheese section about 15 minutes later wondering what I was doing there. It was a very difficult exam

Congrats!! Was there other stuff on your page that said pass or just a blank screen that said pass? I'm still in denial. I thought for sure I was failing. My page had some other stuff on it but my eyes just kept focusing on the pass and I don't know what else it said.

35 months ago

wondering in Huntsville, Alabama said: Does the actual work "fail come up if you don't pass. I took mine today and I saw the word PASS but then I started having a panic attack and didn't read the rest of the screen. Want to make sure I really passed. LOL I'm in denial still can't believe it.

Congrats... wish you a good beginning for a great future.. can I ask you about the exam, is there any written part or it is all choices and you have to pick? and did you take the medical technologist ASCP ? if you remember any questions please share them with us?
Sorry for asking you many questions.
Thanks in advance

35 months ago

Nada in Jacksonville, North Carolina said: Congrats... wish you a good beginning for a great future.. can I ask you about the exam, is there any written part or it is all choices and you have to pick? and did you take the medical technologist ASCP ? if you remember any questions please share them with us?
Sorry for asking you many questions.
Thanks in advance

I took the ASCP MLT exam. Its all multiple choice questions. I don't remember to many questions I was such a nervous wreck. I know I had a couple blood bank questions about discrepancy. Like a mislabeled unit of blood which patient would have the most adverse effect then had four patients forward and reverse typing results to pick from. A TSH result and what would you do next type of question.

35 months ago

wondering in Huntsville, Alabama said: I took the ASCP MLT exam. Its all multiple choice questions. I don't remember to many questions I was such a nervous wreck. I know I had a couple blood bank questions about discrepancy. Like a mislabeled unit of blood which patient would have the most adverse effect then had four patients forward and reverse typing results to pick from. A TSH result and what would you do next type of question.

Thank you for answering my questions :) what is the studying material you count on? did you use the BOD book and if you did, how did you find it? how long you studied before the exam?
I am hope you understand all my worries you have been in this road before.

KarB in Saint Albans, New York

35 months ago

I went to a Review Class at Stony Brook University in NY a couple years ago and it was very helpful still have my booklets that I got for each course so I though I would share this with you guys.
Stony Brook has CLS Review course every year. This year it is from June 3- June 6. They go over Clinical Chemistry, Coagulation, Henatology, Immunohematology, and Microbiology- Bacteriology. Its $100 if you are a current CLS student and register before June 3rd after $150.
Anyways there website have more information. Or Google Stony Brook university ASCP review course.

ryantresor in Buffalo, New York

35 months ago

KarB in Saint Albans, New York said: I went to a Review Class at Stony Brook University in NY a couple years ago and it was very helpful still have my booklets that I got for each course so I though I would share this with you guys.
Stony Brook has CLS Review course every year. This year it is from June 3- June 6. They go over Clinical Chemistry, Coagulation, Henatology, Immunohematology, and Microbiology- Bacteriology. Its $100 if you are a current CLS student and register before June 3rd after $150.
Anyways there website have more information. Or Google Stony Brook university ASCP review course.

please could you send me a copy of your booklets?i am freaking out.there is no review class in my area.i need to study by myself and i dont know if i am doing the right thing or not since i am new in america,coming from belgium.
thanks.

35 months ago

easy_e in Brooklyn, New York said: I'll be taking it in September..and yea I need a study partner

hi,please could we study together? i graduated from belgium and gonna sit the NY MLT.i don't know how to study for it.
thanks

KarB

35 months ago

ryantresor in Buffalo, New York said: please could you send me a copy of your booklets?i am freaking out.there is no review class in my area.i need to study by myself and i dont know if i am doing the right thing or not since i am new in america,coming from belgium.
thanks.

The booklets are a lot of pages. I would suggest the Quick Review flash cards by Valerie Dietz Polansky just as helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

thank you for your help.
do you think only these cards and labce are enough?do i need something else?
for the MLT EXAM?
thanks

KarB

35 months ago

ryantresor in Buffalo, New York said: thank you for your help.
do you think only these cards and labce are enough?do i need something else?
for the MLT EXAM?
thanks

I think that is enough. Also go over your notes from class and wacth useful videos online. Go through this thread there is a lot of useful suggestion.

Nirmoni in Bedminster, New Jersey

35 months ago

swisa in Newburgh, Indiana said: Hello again. I have copies of the study guides. These are given as guides to study from for our final exam in my program. It's not exhaustive by any means. Its just something else to look as besides review books. I've heard that the green BOC book is good for review questions. Not necessarily to learn something new. Anyways, hit me up if you're having trouble finding ideas of what to study. My e-mail address is caferguson4@usieagles.org.

Hi swisa..Can you please send me your copies of the study guides notes if you don't mind..I did email you to caferguson4@usieagles.org.Thanks.

35 months ago

hi,
please could you please send it to me too? it will help me a lot since i did not study here.
thanks

nmon in Bedminster, New Jersey

35 months ago

Hawk in Fresno, California said: Everything I listed is excellent for the exam, especially if you have little time to prepare.

A bottom line approach, wordsology, Harr is you want, and make go through all of the indeed comments related to ASCP exam and write down known exam questions.....even if the person says no your protein electrophoresis....than quickly memorize what the 5 main SPEP'look like. It only takes a few minutes.

When you find information that is known to be on the exam, it's like finding gold, because thats a piece of informaiton that has a high prpobabilty of being on the exam. I will tell you this: I made of a known exam sheet of over 100 questions from indeed and over 40% were on the exam.

One more thing, get to know disease states.

Hi Hawk..can you please send me questions as well if you don't mind...thank you!

Mb

35 months ago

moh in Bronx, New York said: thanks god.......i passed today ...the exam is very hard ...
MLS ascp it is very ..very hard
now how i can get liescne for new your

Hi! I am also from new york. I will take the MLS exam by July. Do you still remember the questions? And what review materials did you use? Please email me at lymelbugawan@yahoo.com so I can give you my number and maybe we can discuss this and you can help me out study with this exam. Thank you so much! :)

aarati in Berkeley, California

35 months ago

hello every1.. i m planning to give ascp mlt exam. is it really tough? which all books is helpful to go throUgh?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aarati in Berkeley, California

35 months ago

I HAVE completed my BMLT. bsc medical laboratory technology from India. before applying the exam what all do i need to do for my documents evalation? n wher?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya in Bronx, New York

34 months ago

Under the category clinical technologist can u take a sub group example in hematology chemistry microbiology etc and pass the ascp. Does this make you eligible to work in any laboratory or department although you passed your ascp in a particular subject such as hematology?

34 months ago

Hello everyone,, can someone tell me what is the different between the Robert Harr book and the Bottom line approach by Pasty Jarreau??? and which one is better with the BOC book???

Thank you

34 months ago

Nada in Jacksonville, North Carolina said: Hello everyone,, can someone tell me what is the different between the Robert Harr book and the Bottom line approach by Pasty Jarreau??? and which one is better with the BOC book???

Thank you

Hello,

Robert Harr's book is arranged in a Q&A format, while Patsy Jarreau's is simply all the facts and information you need to know to pass the exam. I would say Jarreau book goes better with Harr, but, if I had to choose which book to use with boc, then I would take Jarreau without a second thought. Harr is a fantastic study guide and can also be used to measure where you stand, so if you want to be well prepared for the ASCP exam, get Harr and Jarreau; and don't worry about getting the previous edition of Harr, I've used the new and previous editiions and they're both really good. Good luck, and don't forget to read through all these posts for some good tips!

34 months ago

Hawk in Fresno, California said: Hello,

Robert Harr's book is arranged in a Q&A format, while Patsy Jarreau's is simply all the facts and information you need to know to pass the exam. I would say Jarreau book goes better with Harr, but, if I had to choose which book to use with boc, then I would take Jarreau without a second thought. Harr is a fantastic study guide and can also be used to measure where you stand, so if you want to be well prepared for the ASCP exam, get Harr and Jarreau; and don't worry about getting the previous edition of Harr, I've used the new and previous editiions and they're both really good. Good luck, and don't forget to read through all these posts for some good tips!

Thank you very much for answering my question, I appreciate that it is just hard for me know what is going on coz I have been graduated 13 years ago from iraq.. and I need a book help me to study for Medical technology exam with the BOC book ,,so I don't want another book just questions and answers ,, so as you tell me that the Jarreau is not Q&A book.. I think that will be the right one too,
Do you have any information about (A Concise Review of Clinical Laboratory Science)
by Joel D. Hubbard ???

Thank you again, your answer was helping for me
Nada

34 months ago

Nada in Jacksonville, North Carolina said: Thank you very much for answering my question, I appreciate that it is just hard for me know what is going on coz I have been graduated 13 years ago from iraq.. and I need a book help me to study for Medical technology exam with the BOC book ,,so I don't want another book just questions and answers ,, so as you tell me that the Jarreau is not Q&A book.. I think that will be the right one too,
Do you have any information about (A Concise Review of Clinical Laboratory Science)
by Joel D. Hubbard ???

Thank you again, your answer was helping for me
Nada

No, I never used that book. Btw, my opinion is that BOC is only good for review, and provided very little help for the exam. Anyways, email me at zombieatm@gmail.com, and I'll email
you a few items that will come in handy for the exam. These are for educational purposes only.

34 months ago

Hawk in Fresno, California said: No, I never used that book. Btw, my opinion is that BOC is only good for review, and provided very little help for the exam. Anyways, email me at zombieatm@gmail.com, and I'll email
you a few items that will come in handy for the exam. These are for educational purposes only.

If I only could choose two books to study from, they would be Harr and Jarreau. Thats how highly I think of these books relevant to the ASCP exam.
zombieatm@gmail.com

Mona in Sacramento, California

34 months ago

paul in Dallas, Texas said: so did you pass your test? also, to cls, you said there was only 100 questions?? did you pass your first time..? how long did you study and what did you study?

I am taking clinicial chemistry test

Denise in Mount Vernon, New York

34 months ago

When u take ascp I'm clinical chemistry can u also work in other parts of the lab once u pass your exam?

prd in Rochester, Michigan

34 months ago

can anyone who has taken the test say if the outline given on the ascp website for the MLS exam is a good thing to follow for a study guide? this is the address www.ascp.org/PDF/BOC-PDFs/Guidelines/ExaminationContentGuidelineMLS.aspx

happychick2525 in Weirton, West Virginia

34 months ago

prd in Rochester, Michigan said: can anyone who has taken the test say if the outline given on the ascp website for the MLS exam is a good thing to follow for a study guide? this is the address www.ascp.org/PDF/BOC-PDFs/Guidelines/ExaminationContentGuidelineMLS.aspx

For me, it was very good... I did not have a bulk of questions in one area like some have said here.. My questions were randomized and matched this outline very well as far as I remember... the majority of my questions were from Chemistry, Micro, hematology, and Blood bank.

Page:  « First « Previous   45  46  47  48  49  50  51  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.