Preparing to take ASCP MT exam in three weeks time

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2401 to 2450 of 3041)
Page:  « First « Previous   46  47  48  49  50  51  52  Next »   Last »

Hawk in Fresno, California

16 months ago

Nada in Jacksonville, North Carolina said: Thank you very much for answering my question, I appreciate that it is just hard for me know what is going on coz I have been graduated 13 years ago from iraq.. and I need a book help me to study for Medical technology exam with the BOC book ,,so I don't want another book just questions and answers ,, so as you tell me that the Jarreau is not Q&A book.. I think that will be the right one too,
Do you have any information about (A Concise Review of Clinical Laboratory Science)
by Joel D. Hubbard ???

Thank you again, your answer was helping for me
Nada

No, I never used that book. Btw, my opinion is that BOC is only good for review, and provided very little help for the exam. Anyways, email me at zombieatm@gmail.com, and I'll email
you a few items that will come in handy for the exam. These are for educational purposes only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Hawk in Fresno, California said: No, I never used that book. Btw, my opinion is that BOC is only good for review, and provided very little help for the exam. Anyways, email me at zombieatm@gmail.com, and I'll email
you a few items that will come in handy for the exam. These are for educational purposes only.

If I only could choose two books to study from, they would be Harr and Jarreau. Thats how highly I think of these books relevant to the ASCP exam.
zombieatm@gmail.com

Mona in Sacramento, California

16 months ago

paul in Dallas, Texas said: so did you pass your test? also, to cls, you said there was only 100 questions?? did you pass your first time..? how long did you study and what did you study?

I am taking clinicial chemistry test

Denise in Mount Vernon, New York

16 months ago

When u take ascp I'm clinical chemistry can u also work in other parts of the lab once u pass your exam?

prd in Rochester, Michigan

15 months ago

can anyone who has taken the test say if the outline given on the ascp website for the MLS exam is a good thing to follow for a study guide? this is the address www.ascp.org/PDF/BOC-PDFs/Guidelines/ExaminationContentGuidelineMLS.aspx

happychick2525 in Weirton, West Virginia

15 months ago

prd in Rochester, Michigan said: can anyone who has taken the test say if the outline given on the ascp website for the MLS exam is a good thing to follow for a study guide? this is the address www.ascp.org/PDF/BOC-PDFs/Guidelines/ExaminationContentGuidelineMLS.aspx

For me, it was very good... I did not have a bulk of questions in one area like some have said here.. My questions were randomized and matched this outline very well as far as I remember... the majority of my questions were from Chemistry, Micro, hematology, and Blood bank.

15 months ago

thanks for answering

Clinical Intern in SE, Michigan

15 months ago

I took my boards this week and passed.

I did not study at all except for 1 hour before the
Exam I went over the coagulation pathways,
The hematology stains, and the microbiology chemical reactions.

My internship really prepared me well and I kind of felt
Like that was 10.5 months worth of studying lol.
There was just way to much stuff to go over and I was kind of
Overwhelmed...I have a stack of papers and notes like 4 feet high and
Didnt even know where to start.

I will say at about question 50 I was absolutely convinced I had failed the exam
And accepted my fate and stopped caring. After that I think I started doing really good because it was
Asking me crazy hard questions.

My advice for the exam is to take it within 1 month of your internship ending
And to really know your blood bank panels, liver chemistry and microbiology chemical reactions.
The rest of it is basically stuff you either never heard of or only heard once in passing and you can't study
For it.

Faith888 in Houston, Texas

15 months ago

Hi Sandra in Gort, Ireland, and hdeeb in Hamden, Can i ask for your email ad if thats ok with you? I just want to ask something in regards to your exams that uve taken in ascp MLS cert. Thank u I appreciate it.

15 months ago

I

Sandra in gort Ireland in Doonside, Australia

15 months ago

Hi there ya it's sandral.mchugh@gmail.com! Hope I can help you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stellar in Roseville, California

15 months ago

I am in California and here I had to apply to the state first, then after receiving their "blessing" I was apply to apply to ASCP to take the exam. How long did it take for ASCP to get back to you with the documents allowing you to register for the exam?

kgailw in Wisconsin

15 months ago

After receiving all information, 6wks.

Stellar in Roseville, California

15 months ago

Wow. That seems so long! I went on the ASCP website after posting this and found a "chat" option for help. An agent said to allow 30 days to receive the letter. I asked if there were any chance I would receive the letter sooner and she just said no, have a nice day. Then ended the chat.

Poetic in Michigan

15 months ago

How long did everyone study for the exam? I am thinking about scheduling it for 3 weeks after I'm done with school, but that doesn't seem like a lot of time. On the other hand I will have all day to study....

Poetic in Michigan

15 months ago

Is the bottom line approach book better than the Boc review 5th edition?

15 months ago

Poetic in Michigan said: Is the bottom line approach book better than the Boc review 5th edition?

Hello,

Yes, I feel that the Bottom Line Approach is much better because it's a concise collection of relevant information. My feeling is that when individuals study using only the BOC, is that they get stuck memorizing questions; and this could end up giving one a false sense of security. But, it certainly doesn't hurt to practice answering questions, just don't use the BOC as your only study source, unless you're really strong in all areas.

I would get a copy of Bottom Line Approach, and start marking it up, adding little facts here and there to help supplement the book. For instance, the section on thalassemias is very short, so you'll need to read up a little on these disease states and add a few important facts. You're almost certain to get some hematology slides on thalassemia or IDA...make sure you have either seen in your rotation or look it up on line, so you can visually correlate these with actual lab results. They also like to throw some confusing slides out there, for example, have a slide which requires to know the difference between echinocytes (burr cells) and acanthocytes, and possibly odd looking schistocytes...who'll have to know these in order to answer the subsequent question(s).

My point is, make sure you can recognize certain diseases both visually and through lab test results. Especially true with hematology.
Good luck with your studies!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Poetic in Michigan said: How long did everyone study for the exam? I am thinking about scheduling it for 3 weeks after I'm done with school, but that doesn't seem like a lot of time. On the other hand I will have all day to study....

Btw, I waited about 5 to 6 months after my training ended to take the exam. All that extra time allowed me to become complacent, and vast amounts of information made its exodus from my brain. If you feel that you had good training, take it in 3 weeks. I can't put into words the relief you'll feel after you pass.

To be honest, some of the questions on the exam are not going to be found in any book. Instead it's the day to day stuff of working with the analyzers: trouble shooting and QC'ing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Priy32 in Highland, New York

15 months ago

nmon in Bedminster, New Jersey said: Hawk in Fresno, California said: Everything I listed is excellent for the exam, especially if you have little time to prepare.

A bottom line approach, wordsology, Harr is you want, and make go through all of the indeed comments related to ASCP exam and write down known exam questions.....even if the person says no your protein electrophoresis....than quickly memorize what the 5 main SPEP'look like. It only takes a few minutes.

When you find information that is known to be on the exam, it's like finding gold, because thats a piece of informaiton that has a high prpobabilty of being on the exam. I will tell you this: I made of a known exam sheet of over 100 questions from indeed and over 40% were on the exam.

One more thing, get to know disease states.

Hi Hawk..can you please send me questions as well if you don't mind...thank you!

Hi hawk .. Can you please send me questions?

15 months ago

IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have or can get the correction sheet (called errata) for the 5th edition BOC book? Its online but the page doesnt load for me and they sent a sheet with the book but I cant find it!?? I have been studying this book alot and just remembered there were corrections and I have my exam in a week. so if anyone can try to get the page to load and send me the pdf or scan and send it to me I would MUCH APPRECIATE it. email is prderonne@gmail.com Thanks

kathakoni in Boston, Massachusetts

15 months ago

Hello Friends,

I have been reading this website for many months, and every time I read I got so nervous. Everyone has different opinion for the book, and I thought, oh I have this book, and that book bla bla bla, but honestly I would say there isn't any book that helps to pass the test. I just took the test today and passed! feel like flying in the air, and I still can't believe it. So basically I literally studied just for two weeks, and would recommend to get general information about everything and that's it, dont need to read any stupid book, its just not gonna help at all.
good luck !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stela in Highland, New York

15 months ago

kathakoni in Boston, Massachusetts said: Hello Friends,

I have been reading this website for many months, and every time I read I got so nervous. Everyone has different opinion for the book, and I thought, oh I have this book, and that book bla bla bla, but honestly I would say there isn't any book that helps to pass the test. I just took the test today and passed! feel like flying in the air, and I still can't believe it. So basically I literally studied just for two weeks, and would recommend to get general information about everything and that's it, dont need to read any stupid book, its just not gonna help at all.
good luck !

Hi kathakoni congrats for passing the exam .. I am taking the nys mls exam in 2 weeks.. Any suggestions? How to prepare for the exam? I am very nervous .. Practicing labce but not getting more than 50% and u need 75medical technologisto pass this exam .. Freaking out pls need help ..

15 months ago

kathakoni in Boston, Massachusetts said: Hello Friends,

good luck !

Hi Kathakoni, may I ask what exam did u take, ASCP or ASCPi? Is it really really hard? :-/

15 months ago

Faith888 in Houston, Texas said: Hi Kathakoni, may I ask what exam did u take, ASCP or ASCPi? Is it really really hard? :-/

I took the ASCPi one. It wasn't tough, but there wasn't any straight questions from any book. It was more kind of analytically and general questions. What exam are u preparing for?

ryantresor in Buffalo, New York

15 months ago

kathakoni in Boston, Massachusetts said: I took the ASCPi one. It wasn't tough, but there wasn't any straight questions from any book. It was more kind of analytically and general questions. What exam are u preparing for?

please,could you tell me the type of questions that have on the exam?
was it mlt exam?
I am gonna take nys license for MLT.
please somes advices.
thank you

15 months ago

Hey, So I took the MT one, but its pretty similar to the MLT. I would recommend you to not read too much detail about anything. there are just 100 questions though it seems a lot, but they would ask 2-3 questions from each department then everything else would be more analytically questions which you can guess. You would be easily able to two answers which would not be the right answer, but then other two seems exactly same, so just pick one. I think even if you chose wrong answer between those two you are still going to pass the test because the passing grade is so low if you do more than 10 answers correct then you are passed! Also, would say if you are weak in any subject then dont waste your time on that subject. study about the subject that you are good at. I am very poor in Microbiology, so I didn't study about microbiology at all.

15 months ago

kathakoni in Boston, Massachusetts said: Hey, So I took the MT one, but its pretty similar to the MLT. I would recommend you to not read too much detail about anything. there are just 100 questions though it seems a lot, but they would ask 2-3 questions from each department then everything else would be more analytically questions which you can guess. You would be easily able to choose two answers which would not be the right answer, but then other two seems exactly same, so just pick one. I think even if you chose wrong answer between those two you are still going to pass the test because the passing grade is so low if you do more than 10 answers correct then you are passed! Also, would say if you are weak in any subject then dont waste your time on that subject. study about the subject that you are good at. I am very poor in Microbiology, so I didn't study about microbiology at all.
I hope that makes sense and is helpful.

15 months ago

kathakoni in Boston, Massachusetts said: I took the ASCPi one. It wasn't tough, but there wasn't any straight questions from any book. It was more kind of analytically and general questions. What exam are u preparing for?

We have the same route as well! I'll be taking the ascpi cert exam soon, and im getting really nervous right now! :-/ so I really do need your advise, can i get your email add if thats fine with u? Thank u so much i appreciate it.

15 months ago

chawalkithali@gmail.com. Fell free to ask anything

15 months ago

kathakoni in Boston, Massachusetts said: chawalkithali@gmail.com. Fell free to ask anything

feel

15 months ago

kathakoni in Boston, Massachusetts said: feel

Ok thank u!

Poetic in Michigan

15 months ago

Hawk in Fresno, California said: Btw, I waited about 5 to 6 months after my training ended to take the exam. All that extra time allowed me to become complacent, and vast amounts of information made its exodus from my brain. If you feel that you had good training, take it in 3 weeks. I can't put into words the relief you'll feel after you pass.

To be honest, some of the questions on the exam are not going to be found in any book. Instead it's the day to day stuff of working with the analyzers: trouble shooting and QC'ing.

Yes I think it's good to get everything out of the way, but I'm having cold feet and thinking about pushing it back so that I have 6 weeks to study. On the other hand it would be nice to be done, so that I have better job options.

15 months ago

I took the ASCPi this afternoon and passed! Wooohoo! Overflowing happiness! Hoping to get a job soon! Thanks for all your help guys!:)

Congratulations!!!! in Fresno, California

15 months ago

Congratulations!!!!
Does't it feel just great not having to study for that test anymore?

15 months ago

Congratulations!!!! Congratulations!!!!
Does't it feel great not having to study for that test anymore?

dienstagsmaedle in Moraga, California

15 months ago

Hello -

I've been lurking on this forum for a little while, as I was preparing for the ASCP MLS exam, which I took today, and happily, passed. I wanted to write to echo what 'Hawk in Fresno' mentioned a while back about using this forum as a study guide in itself. I went through a good portion of the posts on this thread, and came up with a list six pages long of topics (and even some actual questions), from the recollections of people who recently took the exam.

This list was great - I'd say at least 1/2 (if not more) of what I encountered today was on this list. So, perhaps the current version of the test is made up of rearrangements of a finite number of validated questions and one might be wise to pay attention to recent 'actual questions'. They're pretty specific - like how cocaine is metabolized - I glanced at that as late as last evening, and there it was today, on the exam.

I'm happy to scan and email my list if you would like a copy - it's not pretty, but it seems to have helped.

I also did almost all of the Harr questions, several labce practice sessions, and used the Jarreau book to thumb through to cement the facts in my brain. I graduated my MT program 13 years ago and took this same exam fresh out of school, and passed with no problems. Shortly thereafter, I moved to California, went another direction professionally, had kids, etc., and about a year ago decided to come back to the lab. So, it was almost like re-learning it all over again. I began studying in earnest a week and a half ago. I put in some days 12-14 hours of studying, but definitely crammed it all in. I used bbguy.org for immunohematology refreshers (he has great pod casts), and a guy on you tube (tomiwa007, or ftplectures - same guy). I got a lot out of his coag lectures, liver lectures, and thyroid lectures. His lymphoma lecture might go beyond our scope, but it was very entertaining! Baronerocks.com is good, too, for mnemonics. Best of luck, everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

You're right! I dont want to wait for 3months to retake it again, and I also thank God for helping me understand every question specialy the hard ones! My mind's still floating right now! But there are things i noticed in the test, study disease states in urinalysis , case studies in hematology nd chemistry, biochem rxns in micro, and some blood panels, and in molecular diagnostics like qPCR, EbV etc.

15 months ago

Yes, I had a couple of bilirubin/urobilinogen in urine questions. And borader; liver disease states.

I also seemed to have more mycolgy than I had prepared for. But that's probably because I didn't prepare for it. :) Malassezia furfur was on there (that was kind of a gimmie, and someone else mentioned it).

A few protein electrophoresis questions. One molecular question regarding steps in PCR (denature, primers added to single DNA strands, mixed with heat stable polymerase).

Two Ab panels, and about 3-4 questions on typing discrepencies. Also three or so questions about component storage requirements (cryo following pooling, what to do if the patient has a radiology procedure that will end after the product(s) are expired (I said re-schedule the radiology procedure).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

*borader = broader

lyra in Phoenix, Arizona

15 months ago

dienstagsmaedle in Moraga, California said: Hello -

I've been lurking on this forum for a little while, as I was preparing for the ASCP MLS exam, which I took today, and happily, passed. I wanted to write to echo what 'Hawk in Fresno' mentioned a while back about using this forum as a study guide in itself. I went through a good portion of the posts on this thread, and came up with a list six pages long of topics (and even some actual questions), from the recollections of people who recently took the exam.

This list was great - I'd say at least 1/2 (if not more) of what I encountered today was on this list. So, perhaps the current version of the test is made up of rearrangements of a finite number of validated questions and one might be wise to pay attention to recent 'actual questions'. They're pretty specific - like how cocaine is metabolized - I glanced at that as late as last evening, and there it was today, on the exam.

I'm happy to scan and email my list if you would like a copy - it's not pretty, but it seems to have helped.

Dear Dienstagsmaedle,
I'm tajing the exam soon and would be happy if you could email me your scanned copy. My email address is lyraaguila@gmail.com. thanks

manjunathngunaga in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

15 months ago

Faith888 in Houston, Texas said: I took the ASCPi this afternoon and passed! Wooohoo! Overflowing happiness! Hoping to get a job soon! Thanks for all your help guys!:)

congrats..... and enjoy u r lucky

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

manjunathngunaga in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

15 months ago

dienstagsmaedle in Moraga, California said: *borader = broader

Congratulations buddy.. even i m planning to take the exam soon. i have not started preparation yet . if u can send the scanned copy of what u mentioned will be more helpfull to my mail id manjunathngunaga@gmail.com and
i have subscribed for Labce and ordered books like polansky,harr and ciulla but i never heard about Jarreau book.. is it important to have it in survival kit(labce,harr,ciulla,polansky)

Jen in Salem, Massachusetts

15 months ago

Hi ,

I was wondering if you can email me a list of questions that you found from this forum. Thank you so much!

dienstagsmaedle in Moraga, California said: Yes, I had a couple of bilirubin/urobilinogen in urine questions. And borader; liver disease states.

I also seemed to have more mycolgy than I had prepared for. But that's probably because I didn't prepare for it. :) Malassezia furfur was on there (that was kind of a gimmie, and someone else mentioned it).

A few protein electrophoresis questions. One molecular question regarding steps in PCR (denature, primers added to single DNA strands, mixed with heat stable polymerase).

Two Ab panels, and about 3-4 questions on typing discrepencies. Also three or so questions about component storage requirements (cryo following pooling, what to do if the patient has a radiology procedure that will end after the product(s) are expired (I said re-schedule the radiology procedure).

Rachel in Arlington, Virginia

15 months ago

Dear Dienstagsmaedle,
Congratulations for the exam. I am planning to take the ASCP MLS exam in two months. But I graduated MT program in 7 years ago and I almost forgot everything. I have to start over again. Full time job, kid and household chores do not allow me much to study. But I am trying my best. I would like to request you to email me your scanned copy of your list. My email address is rachelminbo@gmail.com.
Thank you and appreciated.

dienstagsmaedle in Moraga, California said: Yes, I had a couple of bilirubin/urobilinogen in urine questions. And borader; liver disease states.

KarB in Saint Albans, New York

15 months ago

Congratulation. I would appreciate if you could email me a copy of your questions. My email address is kakkidnic@yahoo.com. I would appreciate it and thanks in advance.

nil in Hickory, North Carolina

15 months ago

hey

can u please send me yr scanned copy please?

Prd in Keego Harbor, Michigan

15 months ago

Diesnamagle can u email that list to me pleaaaase
Prderonne@gmail.com

Jen in Salem, Massachusetts

15 months ago

Congrats! Would you be able to email me the list? Jennifer.ym.wu@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FARID in Gostar, Iran, Islamic Republic of

15 months ago

HI, MAY I HAVE THOSE SACN , PLEASE EMAIL ME FARID_H36@YAHOO.COM

FARID in Gostar, Iran, Islamic Republic of

15 months ago

hi, May I have those scan . Please Email me farid_h36@yahoo.com. thanks

Page:  « First « Previous   46  47  48  49  50  51  52  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.