Preparing to take ASCP MT exam in three weeks time

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2651 to 2700 of 3029)
Page:  « First « Previous   51  52  53  54  55  56  57  Next »   Last »

Kristin582 in Saint Albans, New York

11 months ago

Kristin582 in Saint Albans, New York said: Hi guys,
I took my ASCP exam today and I failed. After months of studying I FAILED. I studied using Bottom line approach, The quick review flash cards, labce, wordsology, lab scientists. I also memorized question from the indeed forum that other remembered. I only received about two -5 questions from those. 1. Nitroprusside detects what? 2. About potassium levels being elevated no hemoloysis Why? 3. Lipemia being removed from the specimen what would increase. option was cholesterol and triglycerides,Cholestorol, HDL... 4. Blood blood received in micro from baby turbid, what would you do next? Cortisol elevated why? 5. Strep coagulase positive what would you do to confirm it I chose perform coagulase test in tube to confirm. 6.Calculate wcb count hemocytometer. Will add more if I remember.
I got mostly chemistry, UA, and blood banking questions. I went prepared for micro maybe that why I got most chem quedtion. I was expecting question form UA with identifying cast, crystals... but got none. Had no chemistry questions on metabolic/ respiratory acidosis alkalosis. Not questions you would expect or what most people got. Anyways going back to crying next week I will start studying again. Those 100 are crazy you don't know what to expect and some you would have to work in a lab to actually know the answers.

*** 4. bottle blood culture 7. I had to calculate LAP score. 8.Increase in LAP score why? 9. another with relative lymphocytosis, absolute lymphocytosis, lymphopenia.. 10. Calculate Reticulocyte? One with M+ N- and M+N+ possible genotypes? 11.Who would be acceptable to donate blood a. mother who delivered baby 4 months ago b. hemoglobin 12 g/dl c. Some one who moved in the counry from England couple months ago 12. Von Willibrand disease what would you tranfuse a. cryoprecipitate b. FFP c.Platelets.. 13. Which antibody crosses the placenta a. Anti-M... IgG was not an option. Best temp cold ab react..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kay in Philippines

11 months ago

Johnson1 in NYC, New York said: See www.ascp.org/PDF/BOC-PDFs/Statistics/ExaminationStatistics2012.aspx

MLS means is 485 +/- 100 w/ 86% pass rate on first time.

Thank you Johnson of NYC!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kay in Philippines

11 months ago

Johnson1 in NYC, New York said: See www.ascp.org/PDF/BOC-PDFs/Statistics/ExaminationStatistics2012.aspx

MLS means is 485 +/- 100 w/ 86% pass rate on first time.

Hello Mr. Johnson! I dunno understand., what if I got 503 in my exam,what is my passing percentage rate?

Johnson1 in NYC, New York

11 months ago

kay in Philippines said: Hello Mr. Johnson! I dunno understand., what if I got 503 in my exam,what is my passing percentage rate?

To quote the ASCP administration handbook: www.ascp.org/PDF/BOC-PDFs/Exam-Preparation-Administration-Handbook.pdf

"All examination scores are reported in scaled score. A scaled score is statistically derived (in part) from the raw score (number of correctly answered questions) and the difficulty level of the questions. Because each examinee has taken a different form of the examination, scaled scores are used so that tests may be compared on the same scale. The minimum passing score is 400. The highest attainable score is 999.

A total score of 400 is required to pass the ASCP BOC certification examination. ...."

I would assume its 503/999 which is ~50%.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristin582 in Saint Albans, New York

11 months ago

I receive a hold grade notice from ascp saying they will not mail my score until they receive my official transcript. Has any on here receive a email like that before?

Prd in Royal Oak, Michigan

11 months ago

Umm ya mail them ur official transcripts

dmitri in Columbia, South Carolina

11 months ago

I passed my ASCP exam today. I had mostly blood bank and coagulation. I had one panel that was asking in a roundabout way about the antibodies properties( I think it was Le(b). Everything thing else was a discrepancy(mother AB neg, Baby typed O pos), A2 subgroup, positive Weak D control, Autoabsorption, neg DAT at room temp but was positive five minutes later.

Coagulation was mostly lupus anticoagulant( ptt did not correct, patients form clots, russell viper test to confirm). Also had a question about the indication of failure of streptokinase. Best test to monitor heart surgery patients.

Microbiology: Salmonella biochemicals and TSI reactions. Enterobacter vs Klebsiella( know species E. Cloacae, E. Aerogenes, K. oxytoca, K pneumoniae). Enterococcus vs Streptococcus( Bile esculin, growth in salt, PYR). Salmonella species was serotyped as so species of Salmonella but did not produce hydrogen sulfide and was lysine negative, what would you do? Subacute endocarditis,

Parasitology: One question about ova( albumin covered)

No mycology

Hematology: Calculate RBC indices, two questions with pictures of rbc agglutination( M. pnuemoniae infection/ cold agglutinin disease). Picture of smear with white blood cells and choosing appropriate stain( Sudan black vs esterase, nonspecific esterase etc.) Conditions affecting ESR( false increase/decrease) Osmotic fragility results(predict blood smear results). Two hematology analyzers with different lysing agents had varying white cell counts( showed a smear with target cells and HGB C crystals. Which one affects RBC lysing)

immunology: hepatisis results, two ANA patterns, principle of IFA, out of VDRL for CSF and using RPR kit(What would you do?)

chemistry: diagnostic criteria for diabetes mellitus, primary vs secondary cushings, finding concentration from asorbance reading, coefficient of variation and SD interpretation, percent recovery, blood gas analyzer issues and measurements, BNP for what conditio

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joyous7 in Phoenix, Arizona

11 months ago

Does anyone have an example of a letter of authenticity from a supervisor or director that has to accompany the experience documentation form?

Jamie in Philippines

11 months ago

Fct in Quezon City, Philippines said: My notes came from ACTS Review Center =D It will take a while before I can send it to everyone... I need to scan it first XD

About Chemistry : I read the Clinical Chemistry Review Manual for Medical Technologists by Maria Teresa Rodriguez...

About BB: I read the AABB Technical Manual, the notes from bbguy, and notes from the review center =D

Hi! :) I've been looking for a copy of Rodriguez's Chemistry Manual. Do you have any idea where I could purchase one? I live in Davao City, by the way. :) Is there also a pdf or ebook of the book? Please do reply, it would be a great help. Thank you!!!

kel in Suva, Fiji

11 months ago

chu in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: just took the test yesterday and thank God i passed the exam.thank you guys for all the help.for those taking the exam make to correlate the lab results with the disease entity like glomerulonephritis,hyperosmolar coma,ALL,CML,iron def anemia,anemia of chronic disease.the time alloted was enough to finish the test.i have 4-5 items cell panels.goodluck and Godbless

Hello Chu

Did you do the international exam? I am also an international degree holder and will be applying for this exam.

kel in Suva, Fiji

11 months ago

Mary in Ashland City, Tennessee said: I actually just got my score today in the mail and I took the test June 30th, so they sent the scores out pretty quickly.

I got a lot higher score than I thought I would.

Hi
can you email me the questions on kelvindaman@yahoo.com please?

kel in Suva, Fiji

11 months ago

DebTech in Westland, Michigan said: I would like a pdf of the boc sent to abraxas247atyahoo.com Thanks

Hi can you send me a a copy on kelvindaman@yahoo.com if you received it please. Thanks

kel in Suva, Fiji

11 months ago

Hi

I have one question, my international degree has been evaluated as equivalent to USA Degree. I did Bachelor in Medical laboratory science. Should i apply for california CLS license or should i apply for cls trainee license and do 1 year cls training at a approved facility? I asked this question to CPHD but they are nor very helpful and do not respond.

thanks

EricInChicago in Chicago Heights, Illinois

11 months ago

Hey guys,
Ive been a lurker on here for a bit. Thanks you the help of several people on here, I PASSED. I honestly thought I had failed for sure, but by the grace of God, I passed! I wanted to let you guys know that a lot of the questions people posted on here as well as wordsology were on the exam. Some of my exam was as follows

Chemistry- interpret bilirubin results and tell what kind of disorder it is
Cushings- cortisol and Acth would be increased or decreased
Electrolytes are all decreased- whats wrong with the analyzer?
Patient has impaired fasting glucose and 2 hr- what would you do next?
Urobilinogen - gives urine its color
Contraceptives have what effect on iron levels?

Hematology- calculate indicies and use that to classify the anemia
picture of myeloid cells- what stain is best?
Lots of coat questions- lupus anticoagulant, what does coumadin act on? Coag controls are high, what can it
be contaminated with?
Types of hemoglobin and what they are composed of
Effect of lysing reagent on HGB C
Some fluid questions and questions about heme results associated with CHF
Moth ball intoxication looks like what?

EricInChicago in Chicago Heights, Illinois

11 months ago

Micro- A couple mycology questions with pictures, olive oil is needed to grow what fungus, a lipid chain is added to culture to grow what? What is added to a plate that you wish to grow gram negative rods. A salmonella question. Picture of TB with a small description- which species? How are viruses transported? HbV results- what stage? Gram neg anaerobic cocci is? Nocardia stain results- Role of potassium permag in staining.

Blood bank- These were tricky, lots of "Dce/dCe"type questions about what percentage would be ok for transfusing if a certain genotype was pos/neg. Lots of ABO discrepancies, panel cells all positive, but neg check cells,

mhammen

11 months ago

I am currently enrolled in a Chemistry for CLS Certificate program. I will need to pass a clinical chemistry exam to receive my certificate and take the ASCP Chemistry exam. Has anyone taken the ASCP C exam? If so, please describe it. Thank you!

cascp_student

11 months ago

Saraswatibhakta in Madison, New Jersey said: Hi, I hate ASCP,

It seems that you know a lot about taking ASCP exam. Can you pl. tell me what i should do to take ASCP Chemistry exam ? Is it just the Chemistry part of whole MT exam or do they expect you to know more Clinical Chemistry than average MT ? Also if I read just the Chemistry part of Success ! In Clinical Laboratory Sciences by Ciulla Would that be enough ? Can that also be true for Index cards by Polansky ? I mean can I get away just by studying the Clinical Chemistry part ? Do I need to read Harr too ? I do have ASCP C from long time ago but to have a NY Lic. I need to take the exam again.

Thanks a lot.

I am studying to take the C ASCP exam. How was the test. Now that you've taken it can you give recommendations on what to study with. I have the BOC study guide and my clinical chemistry textbook.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RMF in Bakersfield, California

11 months ago

I took the MLS (ASCP) yesterday and PASSED. Some of the resources I utilized include:

Patsy Jarreau Bottom Line book: I'm a visual learner so the pictures and tools to remember key points really helped me.

Polansky cards: These cards helped fill in the blanks and were a lot more specific.

Harr: I didn't care for this book, I did a few questions in hematology and I couldn't grasp it that well versus the other literature i had.

LabCE: Again being a visual learner and more hands on I felt this site really helped. I was not concerned about the questions themselves, but the explanations for the answer.

BOC: I know this book gets a lot of flack for being "useless" BUT i found that the explanations were thorough and quite a few questions i got on the EXAM were IDENTICAL to the BOC!

QUESTIONS:

1.) be able to identify the antibody pattern for EBV on a graph

2.) be able to identify IGG/IGM and which is displayed graphically. The exact same graph is in the Patsy Jarreau book.

3.) 120 lb malnourished man is seen in the ER. What would be indicative of his condition? listed were BUN, OSMOS, CRP, HAPTOGLOBIN. they all had abnormal values next to them, but i can't remember.

4.)ANA Patterns for RA and SLE

5.) I got A LOT of questions about iron deficiencies. be able to identify iron deficiency, hemachromatosis, etc..

6.) This is seen in alpha thalssemia. choices- increased A2 and F, Barts and H disease, persistence of F

7.) I got a question about "dry tap" - Mylefibrosis

8.) CSF electrophoresis and multiple sclerosis. Choices- IgG Monoclonal, IgM Monoclonal, IgG Oligcolonal, IgM Olicolonal

9.) Patient comes in on a sunday and AB screen neg and receives on unit, following wednesday SC III is positive in the AHG phase. Choices- recollect, assume AB and ID for AB, perform autoabsorbtion, re-test sample from sunday

10.)know about acquired B antigen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

11.) you perform daily maintenance and you get the message "excessive shift" for K. what do you do? Choices- Assay new control, replace membrane, recalibrate, clean ISE.

12.) Patient has been coming in the past 5 days getting blood draw and on 3/19 his hemoglobin suddenly drops. Why? Choices-lipemia, chronic anemia, iron deficiency, wrong patient. Everything else matched just hemoglobin was significantly changed.

13. Automated hematocrit was 33.0 you perform a manual and you get 33.5. Choices- report automated result, redraw specimen, report manual, etc.

14.) bacili is seen microscopically in urine, but nitrite portion of strip is neg why?

15.) know what causes spherocytes in blood

16.) Know what causes false positives on urine strip

17.) know what causes auto infection- strongyloides

18.) nematode egg that is transparent and bile colored

19.) know what enzymes are increased in biliary obstruction, hepatitis, cardiac etc.

20.) positive control for hcg is weakly pos and negative is neg. Patient result is positive. choices- release results, rerun controls with new control batch, recollect patient sample.

21.)be able to calculate half life for meds

22.) effects of sulfa drugs and what's seen on a smear

23.) know relative and absolute lymph

24.) storage requirements for Cryo

25.) know phenotyping

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

If i remember more i'll post them. Also utilize google and youtube, I also can not give enough credit to those responsible for the wordsology website and Labscientist.wordpress. Those are gold mines! I got roughly 10-15 questions from their site alone on my exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ryantresor in Buffalo, New York

11 months ago

kel in Suva, Fiji said: Hi

I have one question, my international degree has been evaluated as equivalent to USA Degree. I did Bachelor in Medical laboratory science. Should i apply for california CLS license or should i apply for cls trainee license and do 1 year cls training at a approved facility? I asked this question to CPHD but they are nor very helpful and do not respond.

thanks

It depends on you.I do have a foreign Degree in that field too.
You can do both of them at the same time.if you plan to work in California State,then apply for the state licensure,if you get it,you will be allow to work in that field.

also,if you want to be polyvalent,you can go back to school for a 1 year internship program in order to receive an American Bachelor degree in that field and then take the ASCP certification if you do not have any work experience.
Think about everything carefully.
hope it helps...............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Kel,
you can also apply for New York state licensure and see if you are eligible to sit the exam.my best advice to you will be to go through the ASCP.org website and read well the differents routes.that'is what I did to find myself.
wish you the Best.

kelvin in Suva, Fiji

11 months ago

Thank you for your informative response. For the CA license, do i have to do the ASCPi exam? this is according the website i found secure.cpshr.us/cltreg/clsls_examinfo.asp. Or is there any other way of getting state license?

11 months ago

I just passed my NYS MLT exam a few days ago,and by the Name of Jesus I passed.
I want to say Thank you to Wordsology website,it helped me to answer around 30% of my microbio exam questions.this site is great.
also I visited BBGUY for the BBank and especially the panel.the explanation was easy to understand.
I also use Harr 4th edition, Polansky cards and mostly Labce.
I got:
-infectious mononucleosis know everything about it
-biochemical reactions between BGN
-proteus,klebsiella,morganell,e coli,enterobacter specifics reactions
-why RhIg at 28 weeks of pregnancy? what effect it does?
-supravital stain,
-Hiv confirmatory test
-discrepancy
-B acquired(forward was AB,reversed was A group,why?)
-crytococcus neoformans
-fungus
-ldl calcul
-cardiac markers
-ABO type
-coagulation facteurs and correction
-aptt prolonged after mixing studies.why?
-autoadsorption

-which tube for coagulation studies (ca?edta?....)
-falses resuts after 3 assays in the lab,what to do? they did well everything before the lab test.
blood splited on the floor,what to do?clean by yourself? call the supervisor?call the call the safety and ...... department to let them know?
-clerical error
-and so .....on

thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

kelvin in Suva, Fiji said: Thank you for your informative response. For the CA license, do i have to do the ASCPi exam? this is according the website i found secure.cpshr.us/cltreg/clsls_examinfo.asp . Or is there any other way of getting state license?

I did not do the CA LICENSURE,I ONLY DID THE NYS ONE.
but just go through the CA STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT and read the routes that they have for your field.
if you think that you are eligible for one of them, then you can call them just to make sure before applying for this route since it's gonna cost you some money to apply i think.
thanks.

11 months ago

did you go through the www ascp.org website? its important too.

11 months ago

the ASCPi is not gonna help you for CA I think,but i am not sure. since they want you to get the license.
you can apply for the ascpi.and it s gonna help you for the states where people do not need the license in order to work in our field.do you understand me? I hope so.......

kelvin in Suva, Fiji

11 months ago

ryantresor in Buffalo, New York said: the ASCPi is not gonna help you for CA I think,but i am not sure. since they want you to get the license.
you can apply for the ascpi.and it s gonna help you for the states where people do not need the license in order to work in our field.do you understand me? I hope so.......

Thank you ryantresor, i have applied for ca trainee license at the moment and am waiting for the reply. I just need to know if i need to do additional courses. If i don't have to, i will apply for full license.

LabProfessional in New York

11 months ago

labscientists.wordpress.com/
everything updated...already 15 students have passed this month using this site.
Good Luck

h1b in California

11 months ago

kelvin in Suva, Fiji said: Thank you ryantresor, i have applied for ca trainee license at the moment and am waiting for the reply. I just need to know if i need to do additional courses. If i don't have to, i will apply for full license.

You have the option which exam you want to take, ASCP, ASCPi, or AAB. I already have ASCPi when I applied for my CA CLS, so I just asked for a certification from ASCP to send to CA LFS so I did not have to take the test again. If you satisfy the other requirements for CA CLS, then you can use ASCPi for your test to get your license.

kelvin in Suva, Fiji

11 months ago

Thanks h1b. Will do that.

Preeti Gandhi in Mount Prospect, Illinois

11 months ago

Hi, My name is Preeti and I am thinking to take MT test through ASCP. Now, I am not sure what books and reference materials should I read to make sure I prepare my self for this test. I would really appreciate any and all advices in this matter. Thanks.

Libaax in Excelsior, Minnesota

11 months ago

Hi Zach G, please email me at Owbustale@gmail.com

Libaax in Excelsior, Minnesota

11 months ago

Please email me the pdf BOC. Thanks

Mohammed in Brooklyn, New York

10 months ago

If i took the international medical labrotary technician can i work in us in any states that mean they can accept my certificates here in america please give me information about that as soon as possible

Thank you

Chitra Jeyasankar in Ruston, Louisiana

10 months ago

Hello,I need some guidance from all of you. I have a Masters in Biomedical Engineering with a concentration in Cellular and Molecular Biology. Could someone please guide me if I need to pursue the Medical Technologist or the Specialist track and what subject do I need to chose in this? How is this decision made? I am really new to this and most of the jobs that I am applying are asking for ASCP certification. How do you prepare for this exam? What books do you study from? Please please help.

Thank you!

Aarati in Berkeley, California

10 months ago

Hello

Aarati in Berkeley, California

10 months ago

Hi pdr please send me the questions and your notes in this email dinpalpariyar@gmail. Com

ARK in Sydney, Nova Scotia

10 months ago

Hi!
I have to take the Microbiology refresher course. With SAIT or with Michener? Did somebody take any one from them?
Thank you

Jill in Gardner, Illinois

10 months ago

Hi everyone!

I have been using this website for a while now getting tips and tricks of the ASCP test. I took my test yesterday and i passed!! I just wanted to share my experience with everyone else. I actually took it for the first time back in August and failed. I used the BOC book and read from the books I used in school. I would not recommend the BOC study book for studying. After failing the first time I found this website.
The second time around I bought the labce subscription, used the website wordsology.wordpress.com/ and watched youtube videos. I am an interactive learner so I learned so much from the labce subscription. Going into the test I was getting an average of 70-80% on labce. Make sure to put it in practice mode so you get immediate feedback for every question. The questions on the the exam are more complex and analytical than the quiz questions on labce but labce helps you grasp the concepts.
I would recommend bbguy.org if you need extra help in blood bank. His videos are very informative. I found this youtube channel ( www.youtube.com/ftplectures ) and it was very helpful for bleeding disorders, hepatitis, acid/base disorders and liver enzymes
It also really helps if you look back on this website and answer questions that other users have posted because some of these questions are on the exam.
I cant remember that many questions from my exam but i had 4 parasitology/mycology questions, 3 blood panels, 5 blood group discrepancies, a hepatitis question, hypoparathyroidism, acid/base, 6 microbiology questions, and about 7 quality control/ lab operations questions.

I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!

helacells in San Juan, Philippines

9 months ago

Hi can i have a copy of Patsy Jarreau book?pls help me by sending to this email Nwad_11@yahoo.com.tnx very much.

Suzu24 in Forest Hills, New York

9 months ago

helacells in San Juan, Philippines said: Hi can i have a copy of Patsy Jarreau book?pls help me by sending to this email Nwad_11@yahoo.com.tnx very much.

Once you have the book may i also get a copy please. My email smatayeva@gmail.com

mage08 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

9 months ago

prd in Utica, Michigan said: sent the notes out again, reply to this if u need them. also check out the questions i posted a couple pages ago and the questions above.

hi prd! please send me a copy of your notes too.. i'll be having my exam 3 weeks from now. thanks! :)

mage08 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

9 months ago

prd in Utica, Michigan said: sent the notes out again, reply to this if u need them. also check out the questions i posted a couple pages ago and the questions above.

hi prd! please send me notes too... i'll be taking the exam 3 weeks from now. btw, my email is djadjamadayag@gmail.com

Suzijon in Forest Hills, New York

9 months ago

I need them

Cooolitgirl in Torrance, California

8 months ago

Hi everybody! Can somebody send me the BOC pdf format please? cooolitgirl@yahoo.com

Cooolitgirl in Torrance, California

8 months ago

Hi,graduated in 1991 and haven't studied for a longtime.So I need major help.Can you send me your notes please...thank you in advance... Cooolitgirl@yahoo.com

jnane2006 in Astoria, New York

8 months ago

Congratulation !! Would you Plz Email me the Study Guide u have made from this forum collections. Thank you very much ! Jnane2006@hotmail.com

murano09 in Waco, Texas

8 months ago

Congratulations! Can you please send me the information as well I really need some more information to study by. I took the exam last year and failed!!! I plan on taking it again around the summer time. Hopefully this time I will have more to study by.

young_monique22@yahoo.com

ar in Brooklyn, New York

8 months ago

Please email me I take my test next week

Page:  « First « Previous   51  52  53  54  55  56  57  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.