Preparing to take ASCP MT exam in three weeks time

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 3161)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

CLSINCAL28 in LOS ANGELES, California

78 months ago

chitra sharma in Des Plaines, Illinois said: hi guys! can anyone help me reg review materials for ascpi?

My suggestions to you is that focus on Robert harr book,do practice test,make your own notes and preparation and self confidence too,but above all is prayer if you beleive in GOD.Remember failure is not an option but to PASS ok?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

happybigfeet in Santa Clara, California

78 months ago

Thanks guys. The forum really help me a lot.

I am planning to take ASCPi this year. English is my second language. So many vocabulary i must to grasp. DOSE ANYONE COULD tell me which text books did you use for preparing the exam? I have HARR review book and the green book. Any other books for recommendation?

Hi Chu, (or anyone who taken the ASCPi before) Would you please explain what the cell panel is ? What is the difference between ASCP and ASCPi? Any regulation or lab managment questions encountered on the test? Before you get the license what kind of job did you take without license? I am living in CA, and I have four years work experience in all aspects of clinical lab. May I get a job here without license? I'll appreciate for your replay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

chu vince cruz in North Las Vegas, Nevada

78 months ago

hi happybigfeet,

The difference between the two certifications is that the international (ASCPi) exam does not include U.S. governmental policy and procedure questions with which you should be familiar if you are working in the U.S. (i.e. OSHA, CLIA, HIPPA).I used Robert Harr, Pearl of wisdom by Valerie Polansky and the green book form ASCP for my review.Goodluck on your exam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chitra sharma in Des Plaines, Illinois

78 months ago

hi happybigfeet,
ENGLISH IS ECOND LAN FOR ME TOO. FROM WHICH COUNTRY R U ? ANY WAY I AM COMPLETELY AGREE WITH CHU . IAM ALSO PREPARING FOR ASCPI MT AND IAM REFFERING THESE TWO BOOKS(HARR review book and the green book) AND ONLINE ASCP TEST .I THINK IT IS ENOUGH.
GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

HI CLSINCAL28
THANKS FOR SUGGESTION . DO YOU HAVE YM/GTALK SO THAT WE CAN CHAT !

78 months ago

Thank you for your kind suggestion, Chu. What kind of text book did you use? What OSHA, CLIA,HIPPA stand for? How long did you prepare for the exam?

78 months ago

happybigfeet,
it took me 3 months to prepare for the exam.i used Robert harr, pearl of wisdom by valerie polansky and the green book from the ASCP.

OSHA-Occupational Safety and Health Administration
CLIA-Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments
HIPPA-i think it stands for "Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act"

Goodluck

78 months ago

Thank you chu and chitra sharma.All my textbook are Chinese. So I am not sure should I read the English Textbook again. Maybe there are many difference between the two language edition. Chu, all the textbook you have learned are English? Thus, the three books are enough for you to prepare :)
chitra sharma, where are you come from? I am Crazy about the english medical terminology. How about you?

78 months ago

yes, they're all in english..

78 months ago

hi bigfeet Iam from inda & I did my MLT in english so its not that tough to understand the US books but still iam finding some diff termenology here. Hope I pass d exam :)

lindawan in estherville, Iowa

78 months ago

hello. i will be taking the ascp in may and i only have 6 weeks to study. so far i have been reading from harr, cards by polabsky and mixing it up with bor ascp green book. can someone let me know what i should be concentrating on since obviously i am running out of time. thank you very much...

78 months ago

one more thing, will harr be more helpful to stucy from than the green bor ascp book? for those who took the ascp already...thanks

78 months ago

MW in Columbia, South Carolina said: Everything you just said is soooo true, I took the exam today and I was almost in tears because I thought I failed, but to my surprise, I passed. The greenbook is $55.00 down the drain!

hello, i was just wondering because ascp gives us a breakdown of the percentages in the different departments, will it not be followed then when we take the test?

78 months ago

ann in Meridian, Mississippi said: Just wanted you to know I got my letter in the mail today and I PASSED!!!!!

congratulations ann for passing. that was probably scary to wait that long. it was nice to knwo though that that can happen.i just thought it was either pass or failed that would be posted on the screen after you are done. i will be takint the exam in may, any tips??

wishful in Whittier, California

77 months ago

for those people who passed using the robert harr, while you were trying to answer the questions did you able to answer it right? what is your percentage when you try to answer the questions? I feel discourage because after reviewing my notes and the flash cards from polansky, some questionsi still cannot answer esp for coagulation.
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bburns in Sarasota, Florida

77 months ago

Not sure what you mean about 'understanding the larger concepts of every area really well...'. Can you elaborate a little further? Thanks!

SD in South Bend, Indiana said: Hi BG...not sure if this is a little too late. The ASCP exam is very analytic but it certainly isnt impossible as it's sometimes made out to be. Make sure you understand the larger concepts of every area really well...instead of focusing too much on memorizing, focus on really understanding the subject..because the questions arent really recall type questions, they're more of application type questions. Also, as I've said before, concentrate on disease states...lab results associated with particular disease conditions...and try to keep calm during the exam (I know it's hard to, but staying calm will help you think rationally)..all the very best as you prepare to take the exam! :)

Yelena in West Hartford, Connecticut

77 months ago

Hello, I have a question about type of exam. I am in MT certificate program, did not pass micro, what kind of certificate of graduation I will get? What kind of exam I should take ACSP MT or ACSP techologist for example in chemistry. I have BS fro other country, and no experience what route I should choose?
What are the differences in AMT and ASCP exam?
What books do you use for Technologist in chemistry ASCP exam?

chesca in Ottawa, Ontario

77 months ago

Hello to all the people who passed ASCPi exam. Help me please. I got few weeks to prepare. And Im running out of quality time to review since Im working too. I know there is no excuse if I want to pass. It feels like I can never be prepared for the exam. Is there someone here who can give me tips which areas to concentrate?.... Based on the comments here. Everybody says the exam was really difficult. But for those who had little time to prepared and made it,..Please Please, give me some pointers and advices. I am really freaking out.. :-)Thanks in advance and God Bless.

needhelp in Modesto, California

77 months ago

Hello, I took the MT exam twice and failed. I have studied Robert Harr, Board of Registry study guide and Polansky but still failed. Does anyone have suggestion what to study or how should I study?

thanks

angel in Gardena, California

77 months ago

i think you should concentrate on studying harr and polansky.those two reference materials are good enough.assess yourself, what is your weakest subject. as for me, my weakest was blood bank,so i have to study the book of harmening. i also failed the first time i took the exam. my lowest subject then was microbiology. they showed me a lot of slides, and for someone who's not practicing as a Med.Tech in a lab, it was really hard for me. so next exam, i came prepared, i borrowed an atlas of microbio to one of the CLS working here.then i study the different blood groups and anti body panel, because as what i have read, the ascpi always has an Ab panel question. always believe that you can do it. take your time and read each choices carefully. maybe third time's a charm.goodluck! =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lenlen in Gardena, California

77 months ago

anne15 in Salinas, California said: hi lenlen did you find any answer to this question cause I just took the ascpi exam last week?

yes. and i am applying now. i already submitted my requirements to LFS and i am just waiting for their response. have you started processing your requirements?

Joker MLT in Dallas, Texas

77 months ago

On the example test questions, know why the correct answer is correct and know why the wrong answers are wrong. But then I'm just a MLT with 30 years experience so I'm a 2nd class tech...had to put in the dig.

Buck in Nashville, Tennessee

77 months ago

Everyone who is taking the ASCP after they graduate from a NAACLS acred programs, you should schedule the test one to 1/2 months after you graduate when the information is fresh.

Everyone else who is either eligible for the test by route 2 due to hospital experience, the test is going to be very DIFFICULT TO PASS.

The people who pass the FIRST TRY for the GENERALIST ASCP exam are the students that graduate from a NAACLS acred CLS/MT program, it is a very hard test to study on your own, or take after years after graduating.

77 months ago

The MLT ASCP is very BASIC, if you look at the green book the first 100 questions for very subject are MLT questions and there is no thought involved. After 100 the ones with the * are MT questions, some can be very difficult, that is why there is a difference between MLT and MT, the level of knoweledge that you need to pass the MT ASCP is very high.

MT are very knowlegeable, the ones that pass the ASCP are the lab directors, and department supervisors for a reason because they know the theory. That is why most people that cannot pass the ASCP go to the AMT b/c that test is very basic.

Joker MLT in Dallas, Texas

77 months ago

Whatever...if you had to be a genius there wouldn't be any MT's.
When I took the test the MLT classification was brand new so there weren’t 2 different tests. We all took the same test and it didn't seem that hard. They didn't say, at the time, MLT's sit here and MT's sit there. The packets were in a big box and they just handed them out to everyone in a big room. I know things have changed but they told us the whole average and the MLT's, in our class, beat most of the MT's.

77 months ago

Joker look at any of the review books, the MLT questions require no thought, most of the MT questions are very in depth. That is just reality, that is why there are TWO seperate tests, b/c you need to go to schooling longer than 2 years to pass the MT ASCP.

That is why people are complaining now, b/c its those that do not take the ASCP after they graduate, find it very difficult to pass b/c you need to remember everything b/c as you get the questions right, the questions get harder.

77 months ago

Last time I took the exam, one of the question was regarding what to use to clean the skin for cystic fibrosis (sweat test). I remember the two out of four choices, one was deinozed water and alcohol. Does anyone know the procedure of what to use to clean the skin. Please let me know. I tried to find out on net, but doesnt say anything what to use to clean the skin with.

thanks

CLS 2008 in Mundelein, Illinois

77 months ago

needhelp in Modesto, California said: Last time I took the exam, one of the question was regarding what to use to clean the skin for cystic fibrosis (sweat test). I remember the two out of four choices, one was deinozed water and alcohol. Does anyone know the procedure of what to use to clean the skin. Please let me know. I tried to find out on net, but doesnt say anything what to use to clean the skin with.

thanks

The sweat chloride procedure requires the application of pilocarpine to stimulate sweating and use of iontopheresis to bring sweat to the surface

77 months ago

Yes, I knew that but they asked what to use to clean the surface of the skin before starting the procedure for the sweat test. thanks for the help.

77 months ago

needhelp in Modesto, California said: Yes, I knew that but they asked what to use to clean the surface of the skin before starting the procedure for the sweat test. thanks for the help.

Could it be deionized water. Since it is a purified water which exhange out the "anions" and exchange the "cations"? Just wondering if its the right answer. Hopefully somebody could give us help. That will be a good information.

77 months ago

needhelp in Modesto, California said: Hello, I took the MT exam twice and failed. I have studied Robert Harr, Board of Registry study guide and Polansky but still failed. Does anyone have suggestion what to study or how should I study?

thanks

before you took the test can you say that you are ready and understand most of what you have reviewed in polansky and athe harr book? how do you grade yourself as far as how much you know? or you think the questions in the test were not in the materials that you used?
please let me know know i am using harr and polansky cards and im afraid that the materials are not enough to pass the test

77 months ago

Polansky cards are good, but you have to know by heart every single detail. Robert Harr is good also because it tells the reason why such question is correct but I would not only depend on Robert Harr. I would also study Board of Registry but it says on the first page of the book that question will not be same but will be like similar type and same level of difficulty.

77 months ago

needhelp in Modesto, California said: Yes, I knew that but they asked what to use to clean the surface of the skin before starting the procedure for the sweat test. thanks for the help.

Found the procedure of Sweat Test...

The sweat test is painless and is performed on the arm or back. The sweat glands are stimulated to sweat using a harmless chemical called pilocarpine, which is drawn into the skin by a very small amount of electricity (1.8 mAmps) from a battery box. (This technique is called pilocarpine iontophoresis.) After 15 minutes of stimulation the site is washed with deionized water and dried. A weighed piece of filter paper with a plastic cover is placed there to collect the sweat. Thirty minutes later the paper is removed and weighed for the amount of sweat. Minimum required amount for analysis is 75mg. After the paper has soaked 15 minutes with deionized water the solution is analyzed for the chloride level on a Buchler digital chloridometer. A high level of 60mEq/L or greater is consistent with the diagnosis of CF.

..So it is deionized water. So you are right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

thanks for the help.

77 months ago

needhelp in Modesto, California said: thanks for the help.

Oh no..Thank you.. Planning to take the ASCPi exam. And I looked for the answer just in case I encounter the same question. Goodluck on your exam. (",)

xandra in Bakersfield, California

77 months ago

hi everyone. do u have any idea when you'll know if you pass or fail the ascpi exam. will you know it right away or wait for it for 10 days? thanks

anne15 in Salinas, California

77 months ago

lenlen in Gardena, California said: yes. and i am applying now. i already submitted my requirements to LFS and i am just waiting for their response. have you started processing your requirements?

I've already applied for license and still waiting for their response too. I'm calling LFS every week but they keep on telling my papers are for review. They are not giving exact time. There are lots of job openings around my area but I cant apply cause I'm still waiting for the license. There are some job openings that I can apply like lab associate but its too far from here. Well, good luck for both of us.

anne15 in Salinas, California

77 months ago

xandra in Bakersfield, California said: hi everyone. do u have any idea when you'll know if you pass or fail the ascpi exam. will you know it right away or wait for it for 10 days? thanks

you will know if you pass or fail right away after your exam but the score will be emailed to you in 10 business days. Goodluck.

louella in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

77 months ago

anne15 in Salinas, California said: I've already applied for license and still waiting for their response too. I'm calling LFS every week but they keep on telling my papers are for review. They are not giving exact time. There are lots of job openings around my area but I cant apply cause I'm still waiting for the license. There are some job openings that I can apply like lab associate but its too far from here. Well, good luck for both of us.

hello! when did you apply for LFS? i have not applied yet because i was gonna wait til i pass my ascp. how long is it taking for them to process yours?

ian in Highmore, South Dakota

77 months ago

CLSINCAL28 in LOS ANGELES, California said: HI CHU,MAHIRAP BANG MAGHANAP NG TRABAHO DYAN SA VEGAS SA LAB OR HOSPITAL KASI PLANO KONG MAGMOVE DYAN KASI MURANG MGA BAHAY DYAN NGAYON,DITO KC SA LOS ANGELES EH KUMIKITA KA NG 6,000 STILL PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK.

hi, kamusta?? kapalan ko na mkha ko.. pa help nman, gusto ko sanang mag move din,, pero ciempre kasama na yung pag transfer ng h1b visa ko.. pls advice nmn.. kailangan ko talga ng work eh.. I'm in US too, pero taghirap talaga yung lab ko.. so i need to move out sa ibng plce, khet saan basta safe visa ko.. pls help!

xandra in Bakersfield, California

77 months ago

thanks anne. can u help read an cell panel? i really cant understand it. can i email you? thanks

ian in Highmore, South Dakota

77 months ago

The_Priest in Shattuck, Oklahoma said: Im sorry guys i dnt intend to used a foriegn language , it just that im a liguistic and i know how to speak and read that language, by the way im a French so it doesnt make sence too.!!!!!!!

hi, mga friends! help nman, i have a problem with my recent employer, he's cutting cost.. pati payroll ko apektado na.. do u know any hospitals, where i can apply and have my visa transfer?? pls advice..

77 months ago

i hope everyone who will take the ASCP test will pass this year. job is so hard now a days and having a license will definitely help our family.goodluck to everyone!!

Phan in Richmond, Virginia

77 months ago

HI everyone, I'm preparing to retake the ASCP MT exam for the 3rd time in three weeks and I am freaking out. Sigh' My first time I was very weak at Chemistry and they asked me almost all Chem questions. The second time I actually studied a lot in Chem but it doesn't seem to have a lot of Chem Qs but instead, it has a lot of Blood Bank Qs. OmG, I dont know what to study anymore! Dont get me wrong, I did study all of the other subject too. And then I decided to take the NCA to see if its easier, it has 180 questions to take within 3 hrs. Thats too many questions too little time for me! On top of that, they didn't even give me my score, just told me to wait a couple of WEEKS for my results because they are trying to recalculate the passing scores. O.M.G, I have to worse luck ever!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Flower Mound, Texas

77 months ago

Phan I think your SOL with taking the NCA if you don't pass the ASCP, since they are about to merge in a couple of months, they are probably looking at harder passing rates bc they are creating one test in that same time frame.

Your best bet is to take the ASCP, bc the NCA is probably just as hard now since they are in the verge of merging.

Like the other poster said, if you just graduated from a acred naacls program you will prob pass if you take the test as soon as you graduate. If you wait, or try to study yourself bc ur a foriegn MT or just got eligle you will probably NOT pass bc that is alot of material to cover by yourself.

anu in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

Jennifer H in Sarasota, Florida said: Hello all- I am 42yrs old- gradulated with my MLT in 1992!
I would like to take the MT exam- but am afraid I have been away from the books too long.
Any older people take the exam? what did you think of it? Do i have a shot??
Thanks

you have a lot of studying to do ... I don't fit in the older category..... but this is my 2cents...you do have to refresh on all of the subject well and be able to apply the concepts. Quick review books and question and answer books will help. Please dont just rely on question and answer books...they are only to help you refresh on your knowledge and few information. I think that anyone is capable of achieving their goal with a determined mind...Good Luck.

Don't let age or time stop you..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer H in Sarasota, Florida

76 months ago

Hi Anu
Thanks.It just seems like a hugh task. THings like Micro- organizims have didferent names and everything.LOL

CLS2008 in North Chicago, Illinois

76 months ago

Does the computer show u the result pass/ fail after u take the exam for NCA or is it mailed to us

cls in Grayslake, Illinois

76 months ago

Phan in Richmond, Virginia said: HI everyone, I'm preparing to retake the ASCP MT exam for the 3rd time in three weeks and I am freaking out. Sigh' My first time I was very weak at Chemistry and they asked me almost all Chem questions. The second time I actually studied a lot in Chem but it doesn't seem to have a lot of Chem Qs but instead, it has a lot of Blood Bank Qs. OmG, I dont know what to study anymore! Dont get me wrong, I did study all of the other subject too. And then I decided to take the NCA to see if its easier, it has 180 questions to take within 3 hrs. Thats too many questions too little time for me! On top of that, they didn't even give me my score, just told me to wait a couple of WEEKS for my results because they are trying to recalculate the passing scores. O.M.G, I have to worse luck ever!

Did u find out anything about your NCA result? If u did how long did it take.

anu in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

Jennifer H in Sarasota, Florida said: Hi Anu
Thanks.It just seems like a hugh task. THings like Micro- organizims have didferent names and everything.LOL

lol .. yea im not such a big fan of microbiology either.. mae it easier on yourself by creating a chart for the tests to id the organism and know the key facts to what it can cause and appearance... hmm.. some people say nca is less difficult.. do look into that aswell..

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.