Question to Experienced Med Techs

Comments (13)

Oldie but newbie in Satellite Beach, Florida

24 months ago

Hello folks. I'm an oldie, 56 years old, but newbie to the discussion forum. I am attending CC majoring in Med Tech program. I'm young, athletic, energetic, smart, team player, refuse to grow up, have 3.72 GPA, and anticipate to graduate with A.S. in the summer of 2015 ( don't laugh ). Thus, having presented my credentials, my question to well seasoned Techs out there is, what are the possibilities for an old F@#t like me landing a job at such a 'young age'? Any input greatly appreciative.

Randall in Omaha, Nebraska

24 months ago

If you are still above ground and are qualified, you can get a job as a Med Tech. I was 42 when I graduated Med Tech school and was working a lab job 3 weeks before I even graduated the program. I had more problems working with a bunch of women than getting a job. My gender, I'm male, was more of a problem then my age. I don't know what the job market is like in Florida, but it is hard to get a Med Tech job where i'm from. We have a really good Medical Technology program at UNMC and a MLT program in Linocln, so employers have alot to draw from. Fact is, they will take the young ones first because they are cheaper to hire and potentially have less health problems and time off. However, my way of thinking.. you are never too old to do anything. Unfortunatly, we have to rely on other people to allow us to do what we want to do.

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas

24 months ago

Also know that there are federal regulations that prevent discrimination based on age. If a younger person is hired instead of you, the employer can possibly face legal action. I'm not certain about the details, but you should peruse these websites.

www.eeoc.gov/laws/statutes/adea.cfm
www.dol.gov/dol/topic/discrimination/agedisc.htm

Jay (aka oldie but newbie) in Satellite Beach, Florida

24 months ago

@ Randall, Yes I may be 56, but I'm much above the ground; healthier than the youngens and much smarter. Employers better be careful hiring them, since, majority of the younger generation is addicted to drugs, alcohol, and exhibit tattoos and pierced you know what from head to toe. And I know the feeling about working with buncha women; I observe them in the lab picking at each other at a very early age. In addition, most of them use their iphone to take their test/final. The job market in Florida is very promising, you should come down and check it out. Besides, the pay is better without having to pay state tax. Thanks for your response. @ Andy, thnx for the input, however, it would be challenging to prove age discrimination.

njbiodude in New Jersey

24 months ago

Jay (aka oldie but newbie) in Satellite Beach, Florida said: @ Randall, Yes I may be 56, but I'm much above the ground; healthier than the youngens and much smarter. Employers better be careful hiring them, since, majority of the younger generation is addicted to drugs, alcohol, and exhibit tattoos and pierced you know what from head to toe.

I have no tattoos, nor does anyone in my class of 27 and am an ambitious worker myself. I'm in my 20s. The baby boomers are hogging all the hiring and management positions, and they (even if you're not one of them)are hardly qualified to call our generation "addicts." They after all are the largest users ever of prescription drugs, the generation with the worst addiction to prescription opiods, and probably the largest users of any illicit drugs ever.

The women in my clinicals have all been helpful, and in one lab I even had some pretty ones hitting on me. Not too bad, just be friendly and stop hating on women and more computer literate 'youngins.' That being said age discrimination is alive and real, sometimes even by baby boomer management who tries to save $$$ by hiring younger workers, and then allot themselves bonuses based on saving money so they can buy more cars retirement homes and cars and other worthless garbage (remember these were the guys at Woodstock protesting corporations).

On a random note what's the starting pay in FL? Might be thinking about heading that way when I graduate soon. No state tax is nice.

Jay (aka oldie but newbie) in Satellite Beach, Florida

24 months ago

njbiodude in New Jersey said: I have no tattoos, nor does anyone in my class of 27 and am an ambitious worker myself. I'm in my 20s. The baby boomers are hogging all the hiring and management positions, and they (even if you're not one of them)are hardly qualified to call our generation "addicts." They after all are the largest users ever of prescription drugs, the generation with the worst addiction to prescription opiods, and probably the largest users of any illicit drugs ever.

The women in my clinicals have all been helpful, and in one lab I even had some pretty ones hitting on me. Not too bad, just be friendly and stop hating on women and more computer literate 'youngins.' That being said age discrimination is alive and real, sometimes even by baby boomer management who tries to save $$$ by hiring younger workers, and then allot themselves bonuses based on saving money so they can buy more cars retirement homes and cars and other worthless garbage (remember these were the guys at Woodstock protesting corporations).

On a random note what's the starting pay in FL? Might be thinking about heading that way when I graduate soon. No state tax is nice.

I never said I had friction with female students, I was merely expressing my observation. I've had great classmate relationship the past six semesters and going strong. The starting pay in Brevard county (my county residence) is among highest paying county here in FL, it is between $21.00-$23.00/hr. Here, go to www.BLS.gov and do your homework. Good luck.

Mike in Melbourne Beach, Florida

23 months ago

Jay (aka oldie but newbie) in Satellite Beach, Florida said: I never said I had friction with female students, I was merely expressing my observation. I've had great classmate relationship the past six semesters and going strong. The starting pay in Brevard county (my county residence) is among highest paying county here in FL, it is between $21.00-$23.00/ hr . Here, go to www.BLS.gov and do your homework. Good luck.

I'm in Brevard and my CLS program is online, but regionally accredited (brick-and-mortar, not UoP). I saw the requirements for FL are similar to CA and I'm required to complete a year-long training program. Do you know how that would work? My school is in California, not here-how do I find the training programs post-grad?

MLStobe in Pompano Beach, Florida

23 months ago

What do you mean by a year long training program? As far as I understand it, CA requires a year long internship/clinical rotation in addition to your CLS program (or as a part of it). Florida does not require a 12 month internship/clinical rotation for a license but your CLS program would need to include clinical rotations (they don't have a specific length). Is your program NAACLS accredited? I am in Texas Tech's distance program and the classes are online but you have to go to campus twice for intensive lab weeks and then at the end you do an internship/clinical either at a lab in your area or if you can't find a local lab you have to go to one of their affiliates for your rotations (I am doing mine in broward county at Integrated Regional Laboratories). Florida Gulf Coast University has a distance program that includes clinical rotations but you would have to find a local lab willing to have you or you would need to relocate to Fort Myers (that's why I didn't go to that program). There are not many NAACLS hospital based programs in FL. If you search NAACLS site you will see them, I think there are three, one in Jacksonville, Tampa, and St. Pete. I don't know their requirements for admission or how competitive they are but that would be your only bet if you are looking for something in FL. If your program is not NAACLS accredited then you definitely need a program that is and not just any lab. The all included NAACLS programs take care of the accreditation so you can do your rotation in any lab willing to take you but if your program doesn't make arrangements for clinical rotations and cover you under their accreditation then you would need a hospital based training program.

Jay in Satellite Beach, Florida

23 months ago

Mike in Melbourne Beach, Florida said: I'm in Brevard and my CLS program is online, but regionally accredited (brick-and-mortar, not UoP). I saw the requirements for FL are similar to CA and I'm required to complete a year-long training program. Do you know how that would work? My school is in California, not here-how do I find the training programs post-grad?

Here, call the Health Sciences Institute, of BCC @ Cocoa campus, and ask for Gretchen Miller. She'll have all the answers you need.

Robert McGuire Management_Lab_Business in Friendswood, Texas

23 months ago

Randall in Omaha, Nebraska said: If you are still above ground and are qualified, you can get a job as a Med Tech. I was 42 when I graduated Med Tech school and was working a lab job 3 weeks before I even graduated the program. I had more problems working with a bunch of women than getting a job. My gender, I'm male, was more of a problem then my age. I don't know what the job market is like in Florida, but it is hard to get a Med Tech job where i'm from. We have a really good Medical Technology program at UNMC and a MLT program in Linocln, so employers have alot to draw from. Fact is, they will take the young ones first because they are cheaper to hire and potentially have less health problems and time off. However, my way of thinking.. you are never too old to do anything. Unfortunatly, we have to rely on other people to allow us to do what we want to do.

According to the US BLS over 82% of Certified Medical Technologist in America are Female. I feel your pain. At 52 I applied to a MT program that only had 3 Male instructors and I was denied entry. I even looked up some of the Graduating MT Class Pictures only to find the classes only had 5 or less males while the rest of the rather ample classes were female! How interesting how that worked out.

23 months ago

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas said: Also know that there are federal regulations that prevent discrimination based on age. If a younger person is hired instead of you, the employer can possibly face legal action. I'm not certain about the details, but you should peruse these websites.

I have been involved in a lawsuit before and I wish it worked like it does on television. if you don't have witness or 3 that will take the stand on what they saw then your case go down the drain and your lawyer loses interest real quick. The feds are overloaded with cases so that portion of your case may be weak. Good Luck on your battle.

23 months ago

Oldie but newbie in Satellite Beach, Florida said: Hello folks. I'm an oldie, 56 years old, but newbie to the discussion forum. I am attending CC majoring in Med Tech program. I'm young, athletic, energetic, smart, team player, refuse to grow up, have 3.72 GPA, and anticipate to graduate with A.S. in the summer of 2015 ( don't laugh ). Thus, having presented my credentials, my question to well seasoned Techs out there is, what are the possibilities for an old F@#t like me landing a job at such a 'young age'? Any input greatly appreciative.

As a fellow member of the +50 club. I wish you Carpe Diem. Never take "NO" for an answer and if anyone in admin or faculty gets in your way, then document date, time and everything that was said and take it up the ladder at the school. Get to know someone in the local media, they like a "Success Story" like yours and it protects you from age discrimination by the school or faculty. Colleges hate "Bad Press", but they Love "Good Press". Cleave on Brother and Conquer Your Mountain and then jump to the next peak to show you can! No Guts, No Glory!

23 months ago

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas said: Also know that there are federal regulations that prevent discrimination based on age. If a younger person is hired instead of you, the employer can possibly face legal action. I'm not certain about the details, but you should peruse these websites.

Andy, Thanks for the reference points on the laws and regulation about discrimination. Look up the Supreme Courts Recent Decision to abolish Univ. of Texas abuse of Affirmative Action to Discriminate in favor certain students in reference to acceptance to the college's various schools.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.