Requirements to get a CA CLS license

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 605)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

CLS48 in California

61 months ago

There are a lot of people on this forum that have asked how to get a CA CLS license and the education requirements. The information is below. The link below describes the process:

www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/lfs/Pages/ClinicalLaboratoryScientists.aspx

The following describes the education and rotation experience needed as listed in the CA code of regulations book, title 17, section 1032. You'll have to search it on the following website:

government.westlaw.com/linkedslice/default.asp?Action=TOC&RS=GVT1.0&VR=2.0&SP=CCR-1000

§ 1032. Examination for Clinical Laboratory Technologist's License.

With the exception as provided in Section 1262 of the Business and Professions Code, written, oral, or practical examinations shall be conducted by the department to aid it in judging the qualifications of applicants for licensure as clinical laboratory technologists. In addition to the requirements for licensure as specified in Section 1261 of the Business and Professions Code, the prerequisites for entrance into the licensing examination shall be one of the following:

(a) Graduation from a college or university maintaining standards equivalent, as determined by the department, to those institutions accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, or an essentially equivalent accrediting agency, with a baccalaureate and a major in clinical laboratory science, the last year of which course shall have been primarily clinical laboratory procedures in a clinical laboratory training school acceptable to the department; or

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

61 months ago

(b) Graduation from a college or university maintaining standards equivalent, as determined by the department, to those institutions accredited by the Eastern Association of Schools and Colleges, or an essentially equivalent accrediting agency, with a baccalaureate and courses pertinent to the clinical laboratory field as may be determined by the department plus one year as a clinical laboratory technologist trainee or the equivalent as determined by the department in a clinical laboratory acceptable to the department; provided, however, that a baccalaureate obtained after July 1, 1973, must include at least:

(1) 16 semester or equivalent quarter hours of chemistry, including instruction in analytical and biological chemistry;

(2) 18 semester or equivalent quarter hours of biological science, including instruction in immunology, hematology and medical microbiology which may include bacteriology, mycology, virology and parasitology;

(3) 3 semester or equivalent quarter hours of physics, including instruction in principles of light and electricity; or

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

61 months ago

(c) A minimum of two years of experience as a licensed trainee or the equivalent as determined by the department doing clinical laboratory work embracing the various fields of clinical laboratory activity in a clinical laboratory acceptable to the department and 90 semester hours or equivalent quarter hours of university or college work in which are included the following coursed, or essential equivalent as may be determined by the department: general inorganic chemistry -8; quantitative analysis -3; basic biological sciences -8; bacteriology -4; provided, however, that university or college work completed after July 1, 1973, must include at least:

(1) 16 semester or equivalent quarter hours of chemistry, including instruction in analytical and biological chemistry;

(2) 18 semester or equivalent quarter hours of biological science including instruction in immunology, hematology and medical microbiology which may include bacteriology, mycology, virology and parasitology;

(3) 3 semester or equivalent quarter yours of physics, including instruction in principles of light and electricity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

ifwishwerehorses in Lake Grove, New York

61 months ago

too bad this forum doesn't have a sticky heh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Todd in Solana Beach, California

60 months ago

CLS48 in California said: (b) Graduation from a college or university maintaining standards equivalent, as determined by the department, to those institutions accredited by the Eastern Association of Schools and Colleges, or an essentially equivalent accrediting agency, with a baccalaureate and courses pertinent to the clinical laboratory field as may be determined by the department plus one year as a clinical laboratory technologist trainee or the equivalent as determined by the department in a clinical laboratory acceptable to the department; provided, however, that a baccalaureate obtained after July 1, 1973, must include at least:

(2) 18 semester or equivalent quarter hours of biological science, including instruction in immunology, hematology and medical microbiology which may include bacteriology, mycology, virology and parasitology;

(3) 3 semester or equivalent quarter hours of physics, including instruction in principles of light and electricity; or

What happened if you already have an advanced chemistry degreee and all the required courses? How do you go about signing up and taking the test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

60 months ago

Do you have one year of CLS trainee experience or did you do 1 year of rotations? If not then you wouldn't qualify.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

60 months ago

You'll have to apply to one of the CLS trainee programs accredited in the state. You can look it up on the link I posted above. Many people with degrees in other sciences end up going back to school to do a CLS program.

Unfortunately, that is often the only way to get a CLS license. I had a Bio degree and went back to get a CLS degree through one of the programs. I know there are even people with masters degrees now going back just to do CLS since it pays more than what their degree can give them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Todd in Solana Beach, California

60 months ago

CLS48,
Thanks for the info! By the way, How much do these entry positions pay to start out?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

60 months ago

Depends on the area in CA but at least $29 an hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

rigurat in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

Why do MedTechs in California get such a high salary?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

58 months ago

rigurat in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Why do MedTechs in California get such a high salary?

Because we have no MLTs yet that release results, CLSs are in high demand and scarce. Thus, employers give us high pay and sign on bonuses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Tantony in Imperial, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

I actually got the CLS trainee license but rejected both SJSU and SFSU CLS programs.Is there any way to get a 1 year training from hospitals?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

roopl in San Francisco, California

58 months ago

Tantony in Imperial, Pennsylvania said: I actually got the CLS trainee license ected both SJSU and SFSU CLS programs.Is there any way to get a 1 year training from hospitals?

but what was the reason of rejection actually university have to decide which hospital the trainee have to send

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Todd in San Diego, California

58 months ago

This is for Tantony, How do you get a CLS trainee license without being associated with the University? For the san diego area we have to get the classes then apply to the University for the 1yr training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tantony in Santa Clara, California

58 months ago

I compeleted all my education requirements and I directly applied to LFS.They provided the trainee license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rohan in Forest Hills, New York

58 months ago

I'll be done with my Med Tech degree in 2011 of next year, was wondering what the job outlook is at California right now? I am graduating from St. John's university 4 year MT bachelors program btw with a full year of clinical rotations. However I believe CA pay is increasing higher than NYC at the moment so I may think about relocating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

58 months ago

Rohan in Forest Hills, New York said: I'll be done with my Med Tech degree in 2011 of next year, was wondering what the job outlook is at California right now? I am graduating from St. John's university 4 year MT bachelors program btw with a full year of clinical rotations. However I believe CA pay is increasing higher than NYC at the moment so I may think about relocating.

Once you get your CA CLS license, prospects are good. The old people are retiring and we don't have MLTs to drag our pay down. There are lots of open CLS positions and the shortage is large. If you want a higher pay move to northern CA, but southern CA pays decently also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

ROOPA in San Jose, California

58 months ago

will please anybody tell me how can i get cls trainee application because i tried online couldn't find it and i called LFS 5 times left messages but they never returned my call

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

silver in Salinas, California

58 months ago

hello!!! i'm a recent BS Medical Technology graduate and also licensed from the Philippines... just took and passed ASCPi last january here in CA... just applied for CA license this february....

I am looking for a lab tech/ lab asst positions for the mean time while waiting for my CA license bec. i know i'll be waiting for a long time for it to be done....

can somebody help me find some laboratories/ hospitals that needs this position???? i tried so hard online but no luck.... :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

58 months ago

silver in Salinas, California said:
can somebody help me find some laboratories/ hospitals that needs this position???? i tried so hard online but no luck.... :(

Hospitals mostly hire lab assistants for phlebotomy or processing. If you want to work on instruments, your best bet is to try reference labs. You can try either Quest, Labcorp, or one of the smaller reference labs for a position in a technical department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

pinku in fremont, California

56 months ago

CLS48 in California said: You'll have to apply to one of the CLS trainee programs accredited in the state. You can look it up on the link I posted above. Many people with degrees in other sciences end up going back to school to do a CLS program.

Unfortunately, that is often the only way to get a CLS license. I had a Bio degree and went back to get a CLS degree through one of the programs. I know there are even people with masters degrees now going back just to do CLS since it pays more than what their degree can give them.

Hi,

I am planning to apply for the CLS internship program in Bay Area CA. Can you please give any feedback on the schools? Which one did you go to?
I have my bachelors from India in microbiology and bachelors from US in Cell and molecular biology. Ten years back I did work in laboratory in India as a medical technician.Can you please give me some guidance? I have already sent my transcripts to be evaluated to AACRAO and should receive the evaluation this week.Is there anyway to get into the hospital on trainee license without getting affiliated to any of the schools?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pinku in fremont, California

56 months ago

ROOPA in San Jose, California said: will please anybody tell me how can i get cls trainee application because i tried online couldn't find it and i called LFS 5 times left messages but they never returned my call

secure.cps.ca.gov/cltreg/cls_trainee_info.asp

I hope the above link helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in San Diego, California

55 months ago

Do you guys reccomend applying for a CLS and a MLT license simultaneously to increase odds of acceptance?

I'm from SD and we only have UCSD and Palomar Hospital nearby - which I believe they accept like 8 individuals from hundreds. I have my B.s. in Biochemistry ~ major in clinical analysis. The thing is, I don't know if they will try to place UCSD students first and leave ppl from other universities behind.

so anxious! I can't stand my job haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CLS-HOPEFUL in California

55 months ago

I dont understand your question Diane. I am assuming what you mean by "acceptance" is that you are accepted to a CLS program correct? In that case, you are MANDATED to apply for a CLS TRAINEE LICENSE before you start the program anyway. So youcannot use that as a leg up over other applicants since every person applying will be obtaining one at some point.

Now, I was accepted at UCI's program, and they only accept 10 students. I did not go to UCI for my undergraduate degree. To be honest, I have never even stepped foot onto the campus. Every program Im sure grades you on your academic fortitude and of course, very heavily on how well you interview.

In terms of getting your MLT, if you have a bachelor's degree in the sciences, it would be a waste of time for you to go back and regress to an MLT license which is an associates. Just my opinion.

P.S. I know you are from SD, but be willing to relocate if you can. UCSD, I heard from one of my classmates who was just interviewed recently by them, only takes 5 students this year. UCI Medical Center takes only 10. CSUDH takes a little over 40...thats right...40. SJSU = 15/half a year. Dont ask me why...thats what they told me when I called a few months back. lol. And LLU, well that I am not too sure...I think 20-30.

Joy2Dworld in Daly City, California

55 months ago

Hi! I graduated BS Medical Technology in the Philippines last 2004 and is planning to take CLS licensure exam this year. What is the difference between ASCP and ASCPi? Which one is better and more recognized here in California? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jeaneth in Quezon City, Philippines

54 months ago

silver in Salinas, California said: hello!!! i'm a recent BS Medical Technology graduate and also licensed from the Philippines... just took and passed ASCPi last january here in CA... just applied for CA license this february....

I am looking for a lab tech/ lab asst positions for the mean time while waiting for my CA license bec. i know i'll be waiting for a long time for it to be done....

hi! may i ask, how'd you apply for CA license? we only have 7 mos. internship here in the philippines right? would that account for the clinical rotation that they're requiring or should i still get a training program in california??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

emerald in Valencia, California

54 months ago

hello jeaneth,this is silver... both of these names are just code names... anyway, i graduated last year with a one year internship program following the old curriculum. Before the school year is ending last year there are rumors that they will shorten the internship into 6 or 7 mos because of the new curriculum... after i left i haven't heard any further news regarding about that... if you only have 7 mos of training then maybe your school is following the new curriculum. So i think you should still get a training program in california becuase one their requirements is a one year training program... i'm not really sure about this though.. it would be great if you wouldn't have to repeat your training if you'll come here...
How did i apply for CA license?
after i took the board exam i went here immediately bec. my visa is expiring. after, i applied for ASCPi and immediately after the exam you will know right away if you pass or fail... after passing, three days after i applied for my CA license and luckily i didn't have to wait that long... after 2/3 weeks i think i got approved and after 2 weeks i saw my license details in the cdph website... after that i'm on my way for interviews and got a job after... that's all... for the requirements for ASCPi, just google it and you'll find their website and read through everything... for the CA license here's the website www.cdph.ca.gov/lfs... Good luck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

noor in Hayward, California

54 months ago

hi I am bachelor in science from india and want to be CLS. Will somebody help me how I can I get the licence and where to apply

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rigurat in Honolulu, Hawaii

54 months ago

Jeaneth in Quezon City, Philippines said: hi! may i ask, how'd you apply for CA license? we only have 7 mos. internship here in the philippines right? would that account for the clinical rotation that they're requiring or should i still get a training program in california??

Jeaneth, this is Jeth, yeah sorry I forgot about the new curriculum with the shortened internship. I'm not sure how it's gonna work for you. I think you 'might' have to complete the rest of the internship when you get to the USA. Check the website for the CA licensure information, there is contact information there like e-mail address and phone number, you could try calling long distance the phone number and ask about this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SpecialK in Rancho Cucamonga, California

54 months ago

Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I graduate with a B.S. in Biological Science. I have yet to be employed. Has anyone had any luck getting into clinical microbiology, hematology courses without doing a second bachelors? Feeling a little discourage would appreciate the help.

regards,

Keren

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BB in San Mateo, California

54 months ago

CSU Sacramento and Weber State University offers an online course for hematology. Obviously it doesn't include a lab portion but LFS doesn't require it. As for clinical/medical micro, if you can't get a class at your local university, check out your local community college that offers MLT training and ask the director if you can take their clinical micro as it satisfies the medmciro prerequisite for the CLS program. I hope this helps!

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

SpecialK in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I graduate with a B.S. in Biological Science. I have yet to be employed. Has anyone had any luck getting into clinical microbiology, hematology courses without doing a second bachelors? Feeling a little discourage would appreciate the help.

regards,

Keren

If you want to be a CLS, getting a second bachelors or CLS certificate is the reality of the situation. CA doesn't allow any shortcuts. I had a BS before I got my second BS in CLS. Check out Loma Linda or maybe a specialist certificate at the Quest in San Juan Capistrano.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Tim S. in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

SpecialK in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: Hello,

regards,

Keren

Legislation in the state of California requires all techs to be licensed by the state, which requires you to pass a certification examination, and to attend a NAACLS school. Once these three criteria are met somebody will hire you in a heart beat in California. You might want to try your luck in a different state, but don't expect to work as anything more than a laboratory assistant, which make less salary than a MT. You could expect to make slightly less than a MLT, but still these positions are rare. Your best bet is to go the high road. Get your masters in CLS. Also you will find yourself in an advantageous situation with a masters for chances at future promotion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

oh i just hope i wouldn't undergo training again... how'd u apply for the job u got? online?

are you an immigrant? may i just ask if it's possible to be out of the US for less than a year without a re-entry permit??

super thanks for your reply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

rigurat in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Jeaneth, this is Jeth, yeah sorry I forgot about the new curriculum with the shortened internship. I'm not sure how it's gonna work for you. I think you 'might' have to complete the rest of the internship when you get to the USA. Check the website for the CA licensure information, there is contact information there like e-mail address and phone number, you could try calling long distance the phone number and ask about this.

super thanks kuya jeth! kainis nmn xe binago p curriculum

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

emerald in Valencia, California said: hello jeaneth,this is silver... both of these names are just code names... anyway, i graduated last year with a one year internship program following the old curriculum. Before the school year is ending last year there are rumors that they will shorten the internship into 6 or 7 mos because of the new curriculum... after i left i haven't heard any further news regarding about that... if you only have 7 mos of training then maybe your school is following the new curriculum. So i think you should still get a training program in california becuase one their requirements is a one year training program... i'm not really sure about this though.. it would be great if you wouldn't have to repeat your training if you'll come here...
How did i apply for CA license?
after i took the board exam i went here immediately bec. my visa is expiring. after, i applied for ASCPi and immediately after the exam you will know right away if you pass or fail... after passing, three days after i applied for my CA license and luckily i didn't have to wait that long... after 2/3 weeks i think i got approved and after 2 weeks i saw my license details in the cdph website... after that i'm on my way for interviews and got a job after... that's all... for the requirements for ASCPi, just google it and you'll find their website and read through everything... for the CA license here's the website www.cdph.ca.gov/lfs.. . Good luck...

oh i just hope i wouldn't undergo training again... how'd u apply for the job u got? online?

are you an immigrant? may i just ask if it's possible to be out of the US for less than a year without a re-entry permit??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

Jeaneth in Quezon City, Philippines said: oh i just hope i wouldn't undergo training again... how'd u apply for the job u got? online?

Why would that college in the Philippines cut the internship from 1 year to 7 months. That's just dumb because now their graduates will not qualify for a CA CLS license. When the state reviews your internship, they will see that it's only 7 months and will probably have you redo it. That's unfortunate.

If you have a visitor's visa you can come here up to 6 months I believe. After that you have to leave, or you become out of status. I'm pretty sure most labs won't hire someone out of status. If you leave the US but try to come back with your visitor's visa and it still hasn't expired, I believe they would still let you in. However, once it expires they won't let you back in. If you have your permanent resident card you can come and go as you please.

You can try applying for a worker's visa if some labs are still doing that, which I'm not sure of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

jeaneth in Quezon City, Philippines

54 months ago

CLS48 in California said: Why would that college in the Philippines cut the internship from 1 year to 7 months. That's just dumb because now their graduates will not qualify for a CA CLS license. When the state reviews your internship, they will see that it's only 7 months and will probably have you redo it. That's unfortunate. If you have a visitor's visa you can come here up to 6 months I believe. After that you have to leave, or you become out of status. I'm pretty sure most labs won't hire someone out of status. If you leave the US but try to come back with your visitor's visa and it still hasn't expired, I believe they would still let you in. However, once it expires they won't let you back in. If you have your permanent resident card you can come and go as you please.

You can try applying for a worker's visa if some labs are still doing that, which I'm not sure of.

well i guess i should just hope for luck on finding a job...
my family will actually be interviewed for immigrant visa on june 21.. so i'm planning for my options to have a job there if given the chance to be approved...

thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jake C. in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

CLS48 in California said: There are a lot of people on this forum that have asked how to get a CA CLS license and the education requirements. The information is below. The link below describes the process:

www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/lfs/Pages/ClinicalLaboratoryScientists.aspx

The following describes the education and rotation experience needed as listed in the CA code of regulations book, title 17, section 1032. You'll have to search it on the following website:

government.westlaw.com/linkedslice/default.asp?Action=TOC&RS=GVT1.0&VR=2.0&SP=CCR-1000

§ 1032. Examination for Clinical Laboratory Technologist's License.

With the exception as provided in Section 1262 of the Business and Professions Code, written, oral, or practical examinations shall be conducted by the department to aid it in judging the qualifications of applicants for licensure as clinical laboratory technologists. In addition to the requirements for licensure as specified in Section 1261 of the Business and Professions Code, the prerequisites for entrance into the licensing examination shall be one of the following:

(a) Graduation from a college or university maintaining standards equivalent, as determined by the department, to those institutions accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, or an essentially equivalent accrediting agency, with a baccalaureate and a major in clinical laboratory science, the last year of which course shall have been primarily clinical laboratory procedures in a clinical laboratory training school acceptable to the department; or

CLS48

I am a MLS-ASCP as of June 4th, 2010, and I have 2.5 years of experience as a medical technologist/blood banker. I graduated from a NAACLS school in Illinois with a 6 month clinical rotation. Would I have to go on for more clinical rotations in order to obtain a California license, or would the work experience substitute for the other half of the clinical rotation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rohan in Fresh Meadows, New York

54 months ago

I heard your clinical rotations have to be 12 months regardless of job experience. Not sure why it's the case though. If it was NAACLS accredited, i wonder why they only gave you 6 months of clinicals. Honestly that's hardly any time to cover all departments with enough experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Rohan in Fresh Meadows, New York said: I heard your clinical rotations have to be 12 months regardless of job experience. Not sure why it's the case though. If it was NAACLS accredited, i wonder why they only gave you 6 months of clinicals. Honestly that's hardly any time to cover all departments with enough experience.

Because the hospitals in Illinois don't want to be bothered with training new techs for longer periods of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

CA is strict on the 1 year internship. You can try applying or calling them to see if they will accept your education. There have been talks about just accepting any NAACLS program in the future, but as of now, that is not law yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

CLS48 in California said: CA is strict on the 1 year internship. You can try applying or calling them to see if they will accept your education. There have been talks about just accepting any NAACLS program in the future, but as of now, that is not law yet.

Thanks for the information CLS48. I tried calling them today, and I thought ILLINOIS state employees were bad---HOLY COW! The first lady to answer the phone coughed for 2 straight minutes before even being able to say hello. The next person I was transferred to did not pick up the phone, was unintelligble, and lastly her voicemail was full. Maybe I will call back tomorrow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

They usually are very difficult to call which is why I suggested applying and seeing what they say when they look at your education. Of course calling would be the quicker way, but even then you may talk to someone who's not the one that looks at your application for the license and makes the decisions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

CLS48 in California said: They usually are very difficult to call which is why I suggested applying and seeing what they say when they look at your education. Of course calling would be the quicker way, but even then you may talk to someone who's not the one that looks at your application for the license and makes the decisions.

The fee is some $200 dollars. I am from a NAACLS accredited program (with 6 months of clinical rotation), MLS-ASCP-certified, and I have worked 2.5 years as a generalist including blood bank. It's safe to say I would be disapointed if I didn't make it, but the gamble is almost worth it. If I could get in, there is no question my quality of life would improve.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tinkerbell in Santee, California

54 months ago

Good luck with the competition! Getting into a training program in cali is very difficult; most programs only accept from one to twelve students per year. Hundreds of ppl w b.s. and m.s. are applying. Your gpa must be super high and some univ charge around $21,000 for the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I didn't say I was going into another CLS training program. I said I might take a gamble with my current level of credentials and apply for a California license. Read above.

tinkerbell in Santee, California

54 months ago

I did read above. They won't take experience from somewhere else. You will still need that 1 year training IN Cali if u want a license. It sucks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

tinkerbell in Santee, California said: I did read above. They won't take experience from somewhere else. You will still need that 1 year training IN Cali if u want a license. It sucks!

I see, thanks for the information.

Rohan in Fresh Meadows, New York

54 months ago

That's not true, one of the graduates from my school last year applied for a CA license and after sending all transcripts etc, she was approved of a license. The 1 year training can be from anywhere. However, our program director also recommended her as well as taking her through the entire process herself.

Our program director is the president for ASCLS NY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.