Salary for New York City Technologists?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 148)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Melrose in Rego Park, New York

66 months ago

Hi I'm in my 3rd year of the med tech program in st.johns university and just got accepted into the clinical portion as i'm very excited to start my rotations this summer at the barriluci medical center. So far I've only taken pre-req courses and only about 2 classes actually being related to medical technology and the rest just being basic sciences with other pharmacy/physician assistant students in the school. I guess I will learn the actual experience of a med tech this coming summer, however after I graduate next year I will be applying for jobs in NYC whether it be in the metro area or any other district. Nobody really mentions the pay for the field in the school and I'm basically confused as to the variety of difference in pay across states, I'm well aware california is the highest paying state in the country for MLS's but I'm really interested in knowing the true yearly salary for a med tech working in New York City, any new grads? Thanks : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MrMetro in Staten Island, New York

66 months ago

24/hr. Roughly 50k annual w/night differential. Lots of opportunity for OT. Ain't much if you have a family but hey, I did CUNY, so no loans, no expenses, all pocket money. All chedda, no time. Can't have everything in life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Kind of different for me, I'm graduating from st.johns uni so it's a private institution and costs 30k a year lol, coming out close to 90k in loans <_< Starting to seem like this is just a stepping stone career if the pay is never going to change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ifwishwerehorses in Centereach, New York

66 months ago

Melrose in Rego Park, New York said: Hi I'm in my 3rd year of the med tech program in st.johns university and just got accepted into the clinical portion as i'm very excited to start my rotations this summer at the barriluci medical center. So far I've only taken pre-req courses and only about 2 classes actually being related to medical technology and the rest just being basic sciences with other pharmacy/physician assistant students in the school. I guess I will learn the actual experience of a med tech this coming summer, however after I graduate next year I will be applying for jobs in NYC whether it be in the metro area or any other district. Nobody really mentions the pay for the field in the school and I'm basically confused as to the variety of difference in pay across states, I'm well aware california is the highest paying state in the country for MLS's but I'm really interested in knowing the true yearly salary for a med tech working in New York City, any new grads? Thanks : )

i have a friend at st.vincents hosptial in manhattan - 45k only. my friend told me hospitals have the highest pay in nyc. i know it blows, but private labs in long island like labcorp, etc. pay even lower - 30k

even though ny is licensed, the requirements to become a cls is very low. in fact, you can attend hunter college med tech program, which have very low prerequisities and still get licensed in new york.

another question, is the last year in st. john's, ALL clinical rotations(all done in hospitals - not school laboratory training), with some classes on the side?

good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

yes, 2 days of classes and 3 days of rotation at the bartilucci medical center. Wow 45k in manhattan only? I wonder why people are reporting 65k and such in salary.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Todd MLS (ASCP) in San Antonio, Texas

66 months ago

Melrose, that is probably, California, they start high and the cost of living is equivilant to New York if not more.

New York (5 boroughs area) might be more expensive than California, bc housing is tanking in Cali.

Like people have been saying, the standards are high there so you start high. You can probably pay off your 90K in student loans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

66 months ago

Todd MLS (ASCP) in San Antonio, Texas said: Melrose, that is probably, California, they start high and the cost of living is equivilant to New York if not more.

New York (5 boroughs area) might be more expensive than California, bc housing is tanking in Cali.

Like people have been saying, the standards are high there so you start high. You can probably pay off your 90K in student loans.

The cost of living is not high everywhere in CA. Besides LA, orange county, and up north near San Francisco and Sacramento, you can get houses for decent prices. I'm talking about big 4 bedroom houses 2000+ sq ft for maybe 300K and in some areas maybe 200K if the area is not that populated. In southern CA, that would be areas like Riverside County, San Bernardino county, Moreno Valley county, etc. Even around Loma Linda where the CLS program is at, the pay is similar to LA hospitals but the houses are a lot cheaper. In orange county, the same type of house would be 500K and it's only 30 miles down the freeway.

I am sure there are areas in northern CA that are cheap also, and the pay is even higher there. I live where the prices for houses are more expensive, but I bought one last year when the prices were lower so I think I'm doing ok. The point is, the cost of living in CA can be overstated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Melrose in Rego Park, New York said: yes, 2 days of classes and 3 days of rotation at the bartilucci medical center. Wow 45k in manhattan only? I wonder why people are reporting 65k and such in salary.com

I'm sure if you are lucky enough, you can find some jobs that start 60k or higher in ny metro area. I heard from a professor(though I worry she can be exagerrating)that a recent graduate found a job in nyc area, dunno where, starting at 60k. I currently do not know anyone making higher than 45k as 'starting' CLS in New York. I know two other not as close friends, one working at Winthrop in Mineloa making 40k, and a Labcorp(small lab)in nassau county making 30k.

I'm sure some jobs in nyc area, also base on experience - hopefully ur one year rotation would prove useful, as many ny programs don't even offer rotations. if you check hunter college's program you will be shocked how they can be a certified CLS in NYS.

But i think even St. John's one year rotation program might not even satisfy Cali's rule. I'm not sure but it's all based on hours, I believe one full year of work is considered to be 9,600 hours - i'm not sure - i think CLS48 should know. It's unrelated, since you did not say u going to Kali, but I like to compare since I am also interested in St. John's program and plan to move to Kali one day

CLS48 in California

66 months ago

ifwishwerehorses in Centereach, New York said: But i think even St. John's one year rotation program might not even satisfy Cali's rule. I'm not sure but it's all based on hours, I believe one full year of work is considered to be 9,600 hours - i'm not sure - i think CLS48 should know. It's unrelated, since you did not say u going to Kali, but I like to compare since I am also interested in St. John's program and plan to move to Kali one day

I am not sure about the St. John's program. If it's one year rotation in all departments, it sounds like it would suffice. However, to make sure, it's better to call the CA department of health for laboratory field services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rohan in Rego Park, New York

66 months ago

I believe it does, my program coordinator was telling me how 2 of her recent grads have moved to california and recieved their licenses to work there. For 30k a year, we it better suffice! I may consider moving but I already own a house in NYC..well my parents do but we live together and it's a decently big house so I do not have to worry about rent and such as I would just pay off my loans at first glance. Still have to see my options really when I'm done however sigh. I also hear Presbyterian hospital in manhattan pays alot more than most other hospitals like close to 30 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Rohan in Rego Park, New York said: I believe it does, my program coordinator was telling me how 2 of her recent grads have moved to california and recieved their licenses to work there. For 30k a year, we it better suffice! I may consider moving but I already own a house in NYC..well my parents do but we live together and it's a decently big house so I do not have to worry about rent and such as I would just pay off my loans at first glance. Still have to see my options really when I'm done however sigh. I also hear Presbyterian hospital in manhattan pays alot more than most other hospitals like close to 30 an hour.

that's good news to hear, because st.john's non-rotation courses are at high standards so you won't need to worry about transferring to Kali. It included at least a semester of BioChem?(i forgot the curriculum list) But even when looking at jobs in nyc, I'm sure some jobs favor an accredited NAACLS school than ones that are not - even by law it doesn't matter. If a job wants a high quality scientist, then they should definitely pick you. But some smaller labs, with limited resources might pick someone not from NAACLS school. (Even though my friend at Labcorp graduated from stony Brook NAACLS certified, he decided to work close to home and take that huge paycut)

Just keep up the good work, you are almost done, I wish I was at your level already. I hear blood banking is one of the best jobs in nyc, high pay, plentiful jobs, and relatively easy.

MrMetro in Staten Island, New York

65 months ago

45k in St. Vincent's Manhattan seems unreasonable. I have a friend working per diem in St Vincent's Staten Island and she's making 30/hr...but then again it is per diem. Ahh well, the Manhattan hospital is going to tank soon anyway, especially with Eli Manning billing them for sponsorship fees...anyway. If you want 30+/hr you need to work in the city. Entry level Brooklyn (Maimo, Interferon, Lutheran, Methodist) hospitals pay in the 26-30/hr range. Hospitals in the city pay 30+. Staten Island, theres only two hospitals anyway, pay 24-26/hr.

65 months ago

30 sounds very good, where do you work Metro? Also what school did you get your CLS degree from? Is it usually easy for a new grad coming out after graduation from clinicals to get a job at methodist? I hear about them often and wonder if they're at a hiring freeze or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

65 months ago

MrMetro in Staten Island, New York said: 45k in St. Vincent's Manhattan seems unreasonable. I have a friend working per diem in St Vincent's Staten Island and she's making 30/hr...but then again it is per diem. Ahh well, the Manhattan hospital is going to tank soon anyway, especially with Eli Manning billing them for sponsorship fees...anyway. If you want 30+/hr you need to work in the city. Entry level Brooklyn (Maimo, Interferon, Lutheran, Methodist) hospitals pay in the 26-30/hr range. Hospitals in the city pay 30+. Staten Island, theres only two hospitals anyway, pay 24-26/hr.

I think that pay is decent for entry level CLS and is very comparable to the pay here in southern CA, which is $30 an hr plus or minus $2 either way depending on the area and Lab. I don't see why some of you New Yorkers complain about pay.

Northern CA does pay more though, with entry level anywhere from $33 to $38 base pay from what I've heard. I have a classmate up in northern CA with the same experience as me who gets $4 more an hr base pay. It doesn't seem right, but it's all about location.

FORMER NEW YORKER in Lewisville, Texas

65 months ago

GUYS THE BEST PAYING HOSPITAL IS NEW YORK PRESBY, ITS BY THE WEST SIDE HIGHWAY. YOU WILL START LOW 30'S, BUT YOUR ANNUAL INCREASE IS GREAT. MY FRIEND STILL WORKS THERE IN MICRO DAY SHIFT AND HE IS CLOSE TO 40/HOUR.

NEW YORK PRESBY PAYS THE BEST, GRANTED YOU WILL BE WORKING IN MANHATTAN, IF YOU LIVE IN JERSEY YOU HAVE TO PAY $8 CROSSING THE GWB, NOT SURE IF THE TOLL WENT UP. BUT IF YOU LIVE IN THE BOUROUGHS YOU SHOULD BE OK.

WHEN I WORKED THERE, THEY ONLY HAVE MT'S, AND YOU NEED THE ASCP FOR THE NEW YORK LICENSE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Yes that is exactly what I had heard and have had my sights on presby for awhile, I live in Queens so all I have to do is take one train to get to manhattan, i am just hoping they still have positions open by the time im done with my degree in a year :)

MrMetro in NYC, New York

65 months ago

Melrose in Rego Park, New York said: 30 sounds very good, where do you work Metro? Also what school did you get your CLS degree from? Is it usually easy for a new grad coming out after graduation from clinicals to get a job at methodist? I hear about them often and wonder if they're at a hiring freeze or not.

SIUH, got my degree from CSI. I don't know how easy it is to get a job at Methodist. A lot of hospitals in BK hire part-time or per diem so you really have to show exceptional skills for them to hire you full-time, but you actually have to get in to begin with. If you interned with a certain hospital, I honestly can't see them turning you away unless your track record was THAT BAD. But then again...I've seen it happen before. The MT community in the 5 boroughs is small...everyone knows everyone. If you know how to network and are actually a good worker, people will take notice. Most of the hires I see are from referrals.

Eric in New York, New York

65 months ago

MrMetro in Staten Island, New York said: 45k in St. Vincent's Manhattan seems unreasonable. I have a friend working per diem in St Vincent's Staten Island and she's making 30/hr...but then again it is per diem. Ahh well, the Manhattan hospital is going to tank soon anyway, especially with Eli Manning billing them for sponsorship fees...anyway. If you want 30+/hr you need to work in the city. Entry level Brooklyn (Maimo, Interferon, Lutheran, Methodist) hospitals pay in the 26-30/hr range. Hospitals in the city pay 30+. Staten Island, theres only two hospitals anyway, pay 24-26/hr.

I agree...26-30/hr sounds about right for Manhattan hospitals right out of school. I make 65/yr with 4 years experience on day shift.

ifwishwerehorses in Brooklyn, New York

65 months ago

Eric in New York, New York said: I agree...26-30/hr sounds about right for Manhattan hospitals right out of school. I make 65/yr with 4 years experience on day shift.

pretty sure my friend won't lie, but just started 2nd year on job.

you work in manhattan too eric? how much u started off? thanks

65 months ago

MrMetro in NYC, New York said: SIUH, got my degree from CSI. I don't know how easy it is to get a job at Methodist. A lot of hospitals in BK hire part-time or per diem so you really have to show exceptional skills for them to hire you full-time, but you actually have to get in to begin with. If you interned with a certain hospital, I honestly can't see them turning you away unless your track record was THAT BAD. But then again...I've seen it happen before. The MT community in the 5 boroughs is small...everyone knows everyone. If you know how to network and are actually a good worker, people will take notice. Most of the hires I see are from referrals.

CSI is a very good program at a very very good price. congrats. did you go to st. vincents for the rotation? or just finished up at CSI

MrMetro in NYC, New York

65 months ago

For the 1-year internship CSI had two NAACLS options, St. Vincents and Methodist. The NYDOH programs (which would only make you eligible for NYASCP) were SIUH, Lutheran, Harlem, and a few others. I opted for SIUH, which subsequently hired me right after graduation. My people who've come from NAACLS programs tell me that their life was complete misery during their one year internship, information overload galore, most of which was theory unapplicable to the job. I'd take the guy who can reload, recalibrate, and run controls on 4 analyzers within 30 minutes over the guy who can tell me how many beta chains are in such and such. To each his own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Chicago, Illinois

65 months ago

MrMetro in NYC, New York said: For the 1-year internship CSI had two NAACLS options, St. Vincents and Methodist. The NYDOH programs (which would only make you eligible for NYASCP) were SIUH, Lutheran, Harlem, and a few others. I opted for SIUH, which subsequently hired me right after graduation. My people who've come from NAACLS programs tell me that their life was complete misery during their one year internship, information overload galore, most of which was theory unapplicable to the job. I'd take the guy who can reload, recalibrate, and run controls on 4 analyzers within 30 minutes over the guy who can tell me how many beta chains are in such and such. To each his own.

Their lives were complete misery? Does that include people who went to Methodist? Do any people have trouble making it through the 1-year program?

MrMetro in NYC, New York

65 months ago

Mostly St. Vincents but the batch I know in Meth right now are eh-eh about it. I mean NAACLS is NAACLS, its harder than a state track but you're better off in the end. It really depends on how far you want to take your MT career. If you want to relax for 1-year, party hard instead of doing homework, and wait 5 years to be eligible for national ASCP certification, then by all means take that route. If you want to know the theory behind everything, be eligible for ASCP licensure right off the bat, then take that track. It really all depends, some people have absolutely no plans of being an MT for 5 years, while others choose to be upwardly mobile. Its a mixed bag, I know two people who graduated NAACLS and they never took the time to actually take the national exam. Priorities change, once you get in the field you get smacked with an epiphany like, "Man I went through all that...for this?", it all depends. To each his own.

Rohan in Forest Hills, New York

65 months ago

do i have to whipe some old dude's ass and clean up things as if i was a maid once i start working? that's all i want to know.

MrMetro in NYC, New York

65 months ago

If you work in Micro you'll be dealing with a lot of ass. Especially if your laboratory runs C.difs manually, and then there are O&Ps. Basically, a lot of what you know will go out the window. People who work Chemistry for however many years forget how to do a basic gram stain. People who never worked UA can't differentiate a leukocyte vs. a protein. The list goes on and on.

65 months ago

ifwishwerehorses in Brooklyn, New York said: pretty sure my friend won't lie, but just started 2nd year on job.

you work in manhattan too eric? how much u started off? thanks

I think I started off at about 26, but then they did a market rate adjustment and it went up like 2 an hour. I work for a merit based employer not union so the harder you work the bigger of a raise you get.

Melanie123 in Newark, New Jersey

65 months ago

i just started got my ASCP and my NY license and I am starting out at 24/hr with Quest. I was told there is alot of overtime though which I am glad about. I am just happy I got a job because alot of hospitals wanted experienced MT

65 months ago

Question Melanie, where did you get your MT degree and do you rotations? If you did them in NY, didn't any of the hospitals offer you jobs from the 1 year of rotations? How does overtime pay work as well? Above the 40, if you do an extra 20 hours a week I'm guessing that compensates the 24/hour ontop of a differential? Thanks.

65 months ago

I recently moved here from another state so I had to start fresh. Yes that is how overtime works.

CLS48 in California

65 months ago

Well, I doubt they would give you 20 hrs of overtime a week. Overtime is always 1.5x base salary. So if you're making $24 an hr, your OT would be $36 an hr. OT works 2 ways. If you work more than 8 hours in one day, you get 1.5x of base pay until you hit 12 hours. If you happen to work more than 12 hrs in a day, you get doubletime or 2x pay. This is the law, but employers generally try not to let you work more than 12 hrs since they have to pay you a lot.

CLSs usually get paid every 2 weeks so 80 hours a paycheck. If you work over 80 hrs in that paycheck, meaning an extra day of 8 hrs or so, then that would be 1.5x base pay for those 8 hrs.

I can see a lab giving 2 hrs of OT on the same day if they're short. Or I can see them giving you an extra day of work if they're short again. Either way, labs usually try not to give OT since they have to pay you more. They usually would hire someone if they can help it. With that said, My OT last year easily bumped up my yearly salary by $5K so it does help.

65 months ago

Yea i dont think i will get that much overtime but i think he was using that number just as an example

65 months ago

thats great that you got that much overtime. I cant wait to pay off my loan and bills

MrMetro in NYC, New York

65 months ago

CLS48 in California said: Well, I doubt they would give you 20 hrs of overtime a week. Overtime is always 1.5x base salary. So if you're making $24 an hr, your OT would be $36 an hr. OT works 2 ways. If you work more than 8 hours in one day, you get 1.5x of base pay until you hit 12 hours. If you happen to work more than 12 hrs in a day, you get doubletime or 2x pay. This is the law, but employers generally try not to let you work more than 12 hrs since they have to pay you a lot.

CLSs usually get paid every 2 weeks so 80 hours a paycheck. If you work over 80 hrs in that paycheck, meaning an extra day of 8 hrs or so, then that would be 1.5x base pay for those 8 hrs.

I can see a lab giving 2 hrs of OT on the same day if they're short. Or I can see them giving you an extra day of work if they're short again. Either way, labs usually try not to give OT since they have to pay you more. They usually would hire someone if they can help it. With that said, My OT last year easily bumped up my yearly salary by $5K so it does help.

Overtime is a double edged sword. For example, in a 2 week-80hr pay period, your base pay is 24/hr. You did 10 hours OT, so you have 90 hrs. So you're making 36/hr for those ten hours. Now, take a guy who worked 20 hrs OT, he's making 36/hr for those twenty hours too right? Yup, but you don't see the money because the guy who did 20 hrs OT gets taxed exponentially more than the guy who did 10 hrs OT. After taxes, the pay is comparable. The general rule is to avoid doing more than 2 shifts (14-16 hrs) of overtime in a 2-week pay period. After that, most of your money goes to Uncle Sam. This is why most techs avoid overtime and just opt to get a part-time or per-diem position someplace else.

P.S. You should see our lab. 4+ techs on the roster with 17-24hrs overtime per pay period, always.

MrMetro in NYC, New York

65 months ago

CLS48 in California said: Well, I doubt they would give you 20 hrs of overtime a week. Overtime is always 1.5x base salary. So if you're making $24 an hr, your OT would be $36 an hr. OT works 2 ways. If you work more than 8 hours in one day, you get 1.5x of base pay until you hit 12 hours. If you happen to work more than 12 hrs in a day, you get doubletime or 2x pay. This is the law, but employers generally try not to let you work more than 12 hrs since they have to pay you a lot.

Overtime is a double edged sword. For example, in a 2 week-80hr pay period, your base pay is 24/hr. You did 10 hours OT, so you have 90 hrs. So you're making 36/hr for those ten hours. Now, take a guy who worked 20 hrs OT, he's making 36/hr for those twenty hours too right? Yup, but you don't see the money because the guy who did 20 hrs OT gets taxed exponentially more than the guy who did 10 hrs OT. After taxes, the pay is comparable. The general rule is to avoid doing more than 2 shifts (14-16 hrs) of overtime in a 2-week pay period. After that, most of your money goes to Uncle Sam. This is why most techs avoid overtime and just opt to get a part-time or per-diem position someplace else.

P.S. You should see our lab. 4+ techs on the roster with 17-24hrs overtime per pay period, always.

65 months ago

"the guy who did 20 hrs OT gets taxed exponentially more than the guy who did 10 hrs OT"

Exponentially? No, I don't think so. If working so much OT happens to put you in a higher tax bracket, you might pay a higher marginal rate on that income, but that'd be on a yearly basis, not a 2-week period basis.

CLS48 in California

65 months ago

Well, even if you worked per diem, you would be taxed extra either way. It's just that OT increases your pay higher since you're paid time and a half, causing you to hit a higher tax bracket faster.

If you are single, anything above about 40K puts any dollar earned after that in the 25% tax bracket. That means if you are making 90K a year, you are taxed 25% on the 50K over 40K you make. The tax system in the US is horrible and punishes those that make more.

Thus, it really doesn't help anything once you make over 50K, if you're single because you'll be taxed heavily. If you're married and file jointly, that threshold of being taxed at 25% hits about 85K so it does help if you're married. Either way, all this talk about high pay becomes a mute point after awhile because yes taxes take away a big chunk of your take home pay.

65 months ago

CLS48 in California said: Well, even if you worked per diem, you would be taxed extra either way. It's just that OT increases your pay higher since you're paid time and a half, causing you to hit a higher tax bracket faster.

If you are single, anything above about 40K puts any dollar earned after that in the 25% tax bracket. That means if you are making 90K a year, you are taxed 25% on the 50K over 40K you make. The tax system in the US is horrible and punishes those that make more.

Thus, it really doesn't help anything once you make over 50K, if you're single because you'll be taxed heavily. If you're married and file jointly, that threshold of being taxed at 25% hits about 85K so it does help if you're married. Either way, all this talk about high pay becomes a mute point after awhile because yes taxes take away a big chunk of your take home pay.

hey cls, so even if married if couple's combined salary is over 85k , you will get taxed heavily too?

65 months ago

So what really separates a person making 48k and 80k a year?

65 months ago

Someone (filing as single) making 48k in Indiana will take home $36, 531.75 with the standard deduction. For 80k it jumps to $56,950.75. So, for a 67% jump in income you see a 56% jump in take-home pay. That's not 1:1, but it's not nearly as bad as people are making it sound. Plus you can always put the extra cash in a pre-tax 401k (or more likely a 403b).

A 25% bracket is really not that bad. If you jump into 82,400 you do jump into the next tax bracket (not that anyone as an MT should have to worry about this based on this forum) but that puts you're rate at 28%, so not a very big jump there.

CLS48 in California

65 months ago

Yes it is not as bad. As Mike said you just are taxed more and your take home pay decreases more, but you still do get more money as your pay increases. To get an idea, go to:

turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/

Check out the calculator that caculates your 2009 refund. You can experiment with different incomes and put single or married and see how much you are taxed based off of it. It also tells you in the bottom right what bracket you will be in.

John in Woodside, New York

64 months ago

Eric in New York, New York said: I think I started off at about 26, but then they did a market rate adjustment and it went up like 2 an hour. I work for a merit based employer not union so the harder you work the bigger of a raise you get.

Hey Eric, I recently graduated as an MT from Hunter and currently I'm preparing for the license. Could you give me an idea about what merit based employer would be like. I mean would you mind naming some good companies or hospitals that I could apply for when I get my license.Would you mind sharing your experience. Thanks

64 months ago

John

I have only had experience with merit based employers so I would hesitate to say that working for a union hospital would be a bad thing. I do think that one of the benefits of a merit based employer is that they tend to give higher raises (if you perform well) than the set annual or biannual percentage that unions agree upon. This tends to reward employees for their hard work. Unions, however, provide more protection to their employees and that can offer peace of mind.
I think that alot of hospital labs in NYC are union. I don't know which ones exactly aren't with the exception of mine and I hesitate to name my employer on here.
I think that most of the hospitals in Manhattan are a good bet. If I were you I would apply to any posting you feel you are qualified for. I would also contact a recruiter that works with Lab Technologists. They don't require any fee (since the hospitals pay that) and can help you find a position. I would pick one that has an office in the city and not a national recruiting company since they don't get as many job postings as the local offices. Also, post your resume on a job postings site (like careerbuilder). Recruiters and employers search the databases often.
I wish you luck in your job search!

John in Woodside, New York

64 months ago

Eric in New York, New York said: John

I have only had experience with merit based employers so I would hesitate to say that working for a union hospital would be a bad thing. I do think that one of the benefits of a merit based employer is that they tend to give higher raises (if you perform well) than the set annual or biannual percentage that unions agree upon. This tends to reward employees for their hard work. Unions, however, provide more protection to their employees and that can offer peace of mind.
I think that alot of hospital labs in NYC are union. I don't know which ones exactly aren't with the exception of mine and I hesitate to name my employer on here.
I think that most of the hospitals in Manhattan are a good bet. If I were you I would apply to any posting you feel you are qualified for. I would also contact a recruiter that works with Lab Technologists. They don't require any fee (since the hospitals pay that) and can help you find a position. I would pick one that has an office in the city and not a national recruiting company since they don't get as many job postings as the local offices. Also, post your resume on a job postings site (like careerbuilder). Recruiters and employers search the databases often.
I wish you luck in your job search!

Thanks so much for your information.

riomex8 in Brooklyn, New York

63 months ago

ifwishwerehorses in Centereach, New York said: i have a friend at st.vincents hosptial in manhattan - 45k only. my friend told me hospitals have the highest pay in nyc. i know it blows, but private labs in long island like labcorp, etc. pay even lower - 30k

even though ny is licensed, the requirements to become a cls is very low. in fact, you can attend hunter college med tech program, which have very low prerequisities and still get licensed in new york.

another question, is the last year in st. john's, ALL clinical rotations(all done in hospitals - not school laboratory training), with some classes on the side?

good luck!

I am a licensed CLS. I don't understand how someone can be in the internship with only two related classes. I'm in New York and the requisites to get the technologist license were brutal. The pay sucks nine inches! Nurses have easier training, know less, do less and get paid more. Billing/coding specialists get paid more than the lab technicians and technologists. They do not provide the main service to patients. They have less education and a much more easy job. This field is a big insult. Nurses do not get pay cuts but lab technologists are paid very little because they are not in the public view and the nurses are. Go into billing honey. That's where the money and the job security are. Saint Vincent's in New York closed down. Apparently lab technologists are not needed because nobody will pay for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Rohan in Forest Hills, New York said: do i have to whipe some old dude's ass and clean up things as if i was a maid once i start working? that's all i want to know.

Worse than wiping some old dude's ass! You will have to culture what grows out of his ass.

zeckor in Flushing, New York

61 months ago

FORMER NEW YORKER in Lewisville, Texas said: GUYS THE BEST PAYING HOSPITAL IS NEW YORK PRESBY, ITS BY THE WEST SIDE HIGHWAY. YOU WILL START LOW 30'S, BUT YOUR ANNUAL INCREASE IS GREAT. MY FRIEND STILL WORKS THERE IN MICRO DAY SHIFT AND HE IS CLOSE TO 40/HOUR.

NEW YORK PRESBY PAYS THE BEST, GRANTED YOU WILL BE WORKING IN MANHATTAN, IF YOU LIVE IN JERSEY YOU HAVE TO PAY $8 CROSSING THE GWB, NOT SURE IF THE TOLL WENT UP. BUT IF YOU LIVE IN THE BOUROUGHS YOU SHOULD BE OK.

WHEN I WORKED THERE, THEY ONLY HAVE MT'S, AND YOU NEED THE ASCP FOR THE NEW YORK LICENSE.

i just got interview today, annual is 48k,which is like 26/hr.

Todd MT (ASCP) in Euless, Texas

61 months ago

26/hour is not bad for a starting rate, their annual increase is pretty good.

The only thing about working in NYC, they will tax you to death.

61 months ago

One thing nobody mentioned regarding salaries is that $48,000 a year is not that great because you have to work 40 hour weeks, that is an 8 1/2 hour day minus piece of crap 1/2 hour lunch. Other jobs offer a 37 1/2 hour work week, that is an 8 hour day minus 1/2 hour lunch for the same pay or less. With a 40 hour week you think you're getting a lot. You're not because you're putting in more hours.

zeckor in Flushing, New York

61 months ago

Todd MT (ASCP) in Euless, Texas said: 26/hour is not bad for a starting rate, their annual increase is pretty good.

The only thing about working in NYC, they will tax you to death.

that is totally true, after tax, i think 26 will be 19 or 17/hr, so i know most people can make that amount in cash, so they dont even need to pay for the tax, and even can get some tax return annually.

histo in East Meadow, New York

61 months ago

zeckor in Flushing, New York said: i just got interview today, annual is 48k,which is like 26/hr.

I'm sorry that math can't be correct. with that salary you are looking at $22-23 per hour. $26/hour puts you over $54,000 per year

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.