Salary for Traveling Medical Technologist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 162)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

You would like to know in Knoxville, Tennessee

68 months ago

I am looking into becoming a traveling medical technologist. I am wondering what the average pay is for a traveling medical tech is. Is $50/hr possible?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (141) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

Dreamin.. in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

68 months ago

Yeahhh right..I highly doubt that. And if you do find 50/hr for travel med tech..let me know. Cause I will be right behind you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Knoxville, Tennessee

68 months ago

what is the going rate for a traveling medical technologist???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angrywolf in Nashville, Tennessee

68 months ago

Dream on about the $50.
With the wear and tear on your car and the cost of gas which is bound to go back up eventually although it is low now I wouldn't even consider doing anything like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

68 months ago

I'd say in CA, if you get no benefits and have 20 years of experience, you can get close to $42-45 an hour. Besides that, you'd have to be a supervisor with a lot of experience to make that much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

aj in League City, Texas

68 months ago

CLS48 in California said: I'd say in CA, if you get no benefits and have 20 years of experience, you can get close to $42-45 an hour. Besides that, you'd have to be a supervisor with a lot of experience to make that much.

hi CA guy, i read many of your posts. seems like california pays well for MT's compared to any other state in this country. i am doing my clinicals in texas rt now. i am wanting to move to CA. being out of state,wat is the best way to search for MT jobs in CA? i am looking closer to san fransisco- like sunnyville- santa clara.( but it doesnt really matter)
pls advice.
thankyou.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

68 months ago

The best way is through the internet. Just look for jobs through this site, indeed, or try careerbuider or hotjobs. You can also go to individual hospital websites and apply through them.

Northern CA actually pays the most, more than southern CA particularly in the urban areas like san francisco. They probably start at anywhere from $30 to $33 for new grads. What you would need to do is first pass the ASCP then apply for the CA license. Or you can come here first and then apply for the ASCP to get your CA license. You can go on the CA DHS website or ASCP for more info on getting a CA license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

AI in Lake Charles, Louisiana

67 months ago

You would like to know in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I am looking into becoming a traveling medical technologist. I am wondering what the average pay is for a traveling medical tech is. Is $50/hr possible?

hi,
i dont know if 50$/hr is possible. but my sister is a travel med tech and she only have one year experience.she makes 32$/hr.they also pay for your accomodation and travel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tia in Baltimore, Maryland

66 months ago

AI in Lake Charles, Louisiana said: hi,
i dont know if 50$/hr is possible. but my sister is a travel med tech and she only have one year experience.she makes 32$/hr.they also pay for your accomodation and travel.

Where does your sister work? And what Agency did she go through?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Kenosha, Wisconsin

66 months ago

Typical pay: $23-25/hr, $210/wk per diem, $150/wk for car allowance, they pay for housing, which may or may not be nice, or they may give you a housing stipend and you find housing that is to your liking. It doesn't go as far as you may think if you maintain a permanent residence. Remember, this is while you are working. You get no sick or vacation time. You may go for weeks or months without an assignment. Jobs are drying up fast because of the economy. Many positions are in small rural areas. You may not like that if you are used to the Baltimore-Washington area. You need to be able to do whatever they want with minimal training. Expect to be resented by management and other staff because you make more. And expect to work harder than everyone else. That's not to say that travel is a bad thing; I've worked with lots of nice people and had fun. It's just you should be aware of the reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

crflava in Aiken, South Carolina

66 months ago

To anonymous from Wisconsin...your right on with that. To the others listen to them and me! The travel lab jobs are gone! I worked 2008 as a lab traveler and I'm currently unemployed filling out applications hours a day to work a permanent lab job somewhere in the country. I have been 6 weeks waiting for a travel lab job and unemployed.

The money was so nice! I couldn't believe how good it was. I got 23/hr, $800 car, $1200 housing, and $1150 for per diem. I was making $19/hr at my regular job. You get sent to a new place and only are assigned for a 13 week assignment. So if the place sucks, you really are not there much.

The bad is getting hated on by the other people because you make more money than they do. You get no paid time off, no 401k, and no sick leave. Oh and if you miss more than 1 day of work, they might try to deduct your housing, per diem, and car pay. It depends how well you argue with them about it.

You never know when the next job is coming or where. Its been 6 weeks witout a paycheck for me now. It sucks! I now lust for getting a permanent position somewhere. I was offered a regular job at my travel hospital, which I intially turned down, but I might have to beg for soon.

In these uncertain economic times, I could only suggest trying a travel lab job for someone who doesn't really need the money. Like you have inheritence coming or paid already, trust fund, or a rich spouse to support you. If your like most of the lab people I know, this is not the case.

Its just not me. I talked with a couple other med tech travelers who have gone back to regular jobs after spending weeks and months unemployed waiting for a travel job. There are currently more travel lab people ready to fill jobs then and open lab travel jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I forgot to mention this. The travel medical staffing companies will tell you they have open lab positions. This may or may not be true. In many cases they might have contacted a hospital about sending travel people to them, but the high cost of travelers is cost prohibitive.

Basically you will call them...waste your time filling out skills checklist, application, resume..etc and then they will call you to see if you want to work in this place or that place week after week. In the end, nothing happens and your spending your savings without any money coming in.

I'm just trying to help you people not end up like me. We have to spread information and make it public. I wish someone would have written this advice for me before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Oh, one more thing. I have offered to work any shift, day and location across the country as well. Thats how bad things are for travel lab jobs are. The last few months has been incredibly difficult economically for hospitals as well. The company I worked for charged $70 for every hour I worked. What?? Thats crazy! Not many places can afford that.

There are still people doing travel jobs, but they are already in place most likely. If any new jobs come up...you might be in an applicant pool of 100+?? who knows.

I have heard that RN, PT, and OT have more travel positions then they can fill. They can't get enough people to fill them. Its just lab people...the red headed step child of the medical world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

L in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

66 months ago

Thank you for this thread... I have been thinking about applying for a travel med tech position... sounds like I am going to have to rethink this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chriss

64 months ago

Well, I see that most of the poeple who have posted are not to happy with the travel situation for lab. I am a MLT out of Baton Rouge and currently am pursuing a BS in bus mgt and was considering a travel position for the summer while i study for my MT. I signed up with a few agencies and was almost immediately placed and will be leaving out in mid may. Im not sure which agencies ya'll have worked with but the market didnt seem to tight to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

E in Deridder, Louisiana

63 months ago

I AM INTERSTED IN A TRAVEL MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST JOB AND THE COMMENTS POSTED ON HERE ARE PRETTY DISCOURAGING. I DEFINELTY DONT WANT TO HAVE TO WAIT MONTHS BEFORE I GET ON A JOB I NEED THE MONEY ASAP. GUESS I WILL B RECONSIDERING DOING THIS ONE. ANYONE ELSE THAT CAN GIVE ME MORE INFO ABOUT THIS MED TECH TRAVEL JOB WILL GREATLY B APPRECIATED

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Todd in North Richland Hills, Texas

63 months ago

I highly suggest each individual research the multiple agency's you can sign with. I have read some of the posts and it appears biased based upon the location and agency with which these people signed on with. In the Dallas, Texas area there are currently multiple openings for traveling med techs to an extent that they are recruiting from graduating classes personally. Benefits are included with certain agency's but not with others. Pay can range from 25 to 30 dollars in some areas but can be higher depending on contract. Texas has a high demand for traveling med techs mainly for the rural communities such as in West Texas (these labs cannot maintain a permanent staff). Yes med techs do make an average of around 70k in California but that is only because the cost of living is much higher. For those looking for permanent jobs as a med tech I suggest looking into Texas. Currently I work in a full time position in a Dallas hospital making 25.50 an hour on second shift. Today was my one year mark from graduation as well as a year here in the micro lab. My lab has been hiring non-stop for the past year both due to increased work load and the high turnover of med techs coming and going. I have held talks with agency's trying to recruit me from my graduating class for the traveling med tech and there is a good agency headquarted in Dallas. I am also looking into the traveling gig for the experience alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

E in Deridder, Louisiana

62 months ago

HI TODD, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO YOU GAVE ME ABOUT TRAVEL MED TECHS. I LIVE IN LOUISIANA AND PLAN ON RELOCATING TO TEXAS BY THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR. I WILL DEFINETLY LOOK INTO THIS. THANKS AGAIN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jec1182 in Fresno, California

62 months ago

Sorry to tell you all-I'm an MT (ASCP) and CLS (NCA). I moved to California last year only to find that I can't work here as an MT. That's right-I graduated from a well-recognized ASCLS-accredited program. Because of the structure (2+2), California refuses to recognize it as sufficient education. So my 4-year degree (BS CLS), my student rotations, and 1.5 years of experience mean nothing out here. If you're not educated in California or the Phillippines, you're out of luck. There are unions out here, that's why the wages are high. Don't move out here unless you're cool with being told you have to go back to school for a degree you already have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

62 months ago

Jec1182 in Fresno, California said: Sorry to tell you all-I'm an MT (ASCP) and CLS (NCA). I moved to California last year only to find that I can't work here as an MT. That's right-I graduated from a well-recognized ASCLS-accredited program. Because of the structure (2+2), California refuses to recognize it as sufficient education. So my 4-year degree (BS CLS), my student rotations, and 1.5 years of experience mean nothing out here. If you're not educated in California or the Phillippines, you're out of luck. There are unions out here, that's why the wages are high. Don't move out here unless you're cool with being told you have to go back to school for a degree you already have.

Really? I was under the impression all you needed was ASCP. That's kind of weird. I guess they are still strict then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jjohns5677 in Cleveland, Mississippi

61 months ago

CLS48 in California said: Really? I was under the impression all you needed was ASCP. That's kind of weird. I guess they are still strict then.

California is weird, period. I worked there in the late 70s as a phlebotomist because I couldn't work as an MLT. There was this state law, you see..... It hasn't changed much either. The new regulations state that if you passed the ASCP exam in 2002 (I think) or later, with the CORRECT education, you qualify for a highly coveted CA MT license. the ONLY thing that's changed is that CA no longer makes you sit for their exam. Folks, CA just isn't that great a place to work and with the current state government fiscal crisis I'd stay far away from there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ST IN NM in Gallup, New Mexico

61 months ago

LOL! THE REASON WHY CALIFORNIA PAYS MORE IS BECAUSE OF THE COST OF LIVING FOR THE STATE. THE LOWER THE COST OF LIVING FOR A PARTICULAR AREA, THE LOWER THE PAY. THE HIGHER THE COST OF LIVING FOR AN AREA, THE HIGHER THE PAY. SO ITS A NIGHTMARE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

katy dont in Jacksonville, Florida

60 months ago

crflava in Aiken, South Carolina said: Oh, one more thing. I have offered to work any shift, day and location across the country as well. Thats how bad things are for travel lab jobs are. The last few months has been incredibly difficult economically for hospitals as well. The company I worked for charged $70 for every hour I worked. What?? Thats crazy! Not many places can afford that.

There are still people doing travel jobs, but they are already in place most likely. If any new jobs come up...you might be in an applicant pool of 100+?? who knows.

I have heard that RN, PT, and OT have more travel positions then they can fill. They can't get enough people to fill them. Its just lab people...the red headed step child of the medical world.

AMEN!! You are 100% correct.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Labman65 in Palm Coast, Florida

60 months ago

FYI,I was offered a travel job Monday that was about 2 hours from where I live that pays $31/hour, plus OT is available, $175 a week housing allowance, $150 a week car allowance, 7 on 7 off, I've been job hunting for 2 months and this was exactly what I had been looking for but just accepted a fulltime local permanent position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Lewistown, Montana

60 months ago

I've been on the road as a travel MT on and off for 5 years. I have gone thru a pay decrease but have not stopped working. As a traveler, you have to plan your next step before you finish a contract. I took a pay cut to get a VA job for the security clearance and to help put me at the top of the piles of resumes for positions. I am registered with around 12 agencies to get exactly the location I want. If anyone is still looking, they haven't considered all options. IHS (Indian Health Services) are almost always looking for travelers because they are in remote areas and not citys and the patient load is different. I have noticed that the market is not anywhere like it used to be and a lot of travelers are just extending where they are if they can and trying to wait it out. This will pass over as there are not enough people entering this field to fill all of the openings that are going to be occurring in the next several years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A TECH in Cathedral City, California

60 months ago

I have worked as a traveler MT for over 6 years now and was registered with on one company. I was always able to choose a plum location in Northern California where the pay was significantly higher than in the rest of the USA. I am ASCP and CA and Nevada licensed. Soon I will have a Hawaii license also. Just recently I signed up with two additional agencies as it is true that the jobs are drying up. However you must be flexible and ready to go at a drop of a hat.
Please be aware that many agencies do only claim to have jobs only to farm new candidates so they can find new techs green to contract negoations who are willing to work for less and ask for less perks or better housing. Insist that the housing is to your liking. Let the agency find the place as few place will rent to an out of towner without references and will not due short term leases. It is very expensive to have utilities turned on or off. The agency is getting the big bucks. It is their job to fix up your housing on their time and nickel.

Never be afraid to negoatite the fine points of a contract. For example if you want two days off after working a string of graves state that in the contract. Also be aware it is illegal for an agency to ask you to wave your right to overtime or any other state laws. If you work a 10 hour shift in CA you are entitled to 2 hours of overtime. You cant be a 10 hour employee of the client as you are employed by the agency and trust me they dont have 10 hour emploees at the agency. Also if you work NOCS by yourself in Ca. you are entitled to the no lunch no break extra hours of pay. Once techs figure this out and ask for me that is why the agencies troll for more candidates who will work for cheaper. It is true hospital employees get mad because it looks to them like you are getting a better deal...dont stay too long in one place or you will get involved in politics. I was invited back to the same facitilty 5 times. Travel on...it is great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MedTech, Grad styudent in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

59 months ago

The travel jobs are limited these days. I don't know if most of the people who commented have MLT's or MT's, but I have a BS in Medical technology and I have been offered 35-40 an hour for travel assignments. I decided to go to graduate school instead, so I word per diem at a hospital near my university. My advice is not to be pressed to to find the perfect job with the perfect pay right away. Medical technologist at desperately need all over the country and the amount of graduates are no where near enough to meet the need. YOU ARE IN DEMAND and you will be for a long time. The traveling availability will increase soon enough, but please take comfort in knowing that you have an advantage that many job seekers do not. There are jobs everywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sato in Milpitas, California

59 months ago

You would like to know in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I am looking into becoming a traveling medical technologist. I am wondering what the average pay is for a traveling medical tech is. Is $50/hr possible?

Honestly u can make almost $60 an hour or more..with the per diem pay your getting and take note non taxable. all in all $9k in a month net pay. BUT they're right not too many traveling job nowadays. There are, but in places that u might not like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BS. MED.TECH. AND RN in Walnut, California

58 months ago

travelling MT AND RN SUCKS! DONT GO TO AUREUS MEDICAL THEY WILL END YOUR CONTRACT ANYTIME THEY FIND CHEAPER CANDIDATE AND THEY TELL YOU THAT YOURE NOT PERFORMING GOOD AS MED.TECH OR RN . AND KICK YOU IN YOURE APPARTMENT AND LET YOU PAY YOURE CAR AND GOING BACK HOME . pls.dont go to TEXAS esp. up North like TYLER ,LONGVIEW OR DALLAS .esp if your minority ,FROM LOUSIANNA .and youre not from Texas.REMEMBER ME AND SOME MY FRIENDS ! I GOT THAT THE BAD EXPERIENCE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

msuerin85 in Lake Charles, Louisiana

57 months ago

Thanks for the advice. I will def keep that in mind! What about jobs in Austin, TX for Med Techs, is that a good place to live and have a career in laboratory science?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

NatMedTech in Sacramento, California

57 months ago

It is true Northern Cali pays high wages for CLS's. Currently I am paid $50.16 an hour for PM shift at a hospital in Sacramento. We are unionized. I have 7 years experience. The cost of living is quite low here, espicially during this housing crisis. It makes it really tough to leave when the pay is so high. I highly recommend this area. There are lots of hospitals in this area looking for med techs: Kaiser Permanente, Suttter Hospitals, Catholic Healthcare West, UCDavis, Marshall Hospital. Good luck job searching!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

wsdrbj in Minneapolis, Minnesota

56 months ago

I think the travel jobs are a joke. In this dumb a--!! state of Minnesaota the clinics and hospitals only want to hire CLT's and MLT's. My question is why do you need a 4 year degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Fustrate in Miami, Florida

56 months ago

Aureos is not a good company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

I have been doing Travel MT jobs for the last 9 years, never had a problem getting an assignment. Until now-registered with 3 agencies who haven't come up with anything. What the story? Where did all the jobs go?
All the agencies say things are going to pick up, but they have been saying that for about 9 mo now.
Any advise would be helpful. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

A TECH in Palm Springs, California

56 months ago

It appears recently to get a travel job you must have many types of computer experience(MYSIS,Cerner,Meditech) also those with Micro and heavy Blood Bank skills are the only ones being sought after currently. Due to many lowering of skill requirements with CLIA chemistry and hematology and coag and urinalysis machines can be manned by lab assistants or MLT. This makes on some Micro and of course BB high complexity requiring the use of MT or CLS. Their are no day jobs usually. If you can work graves work is still available. The 7 on 7 off is becomming more popular and therefore doesnt work for travelers as the agencies dont want to pay for your housing the 7 days you are off. Additionally many of the smaller agencies were bought out as hospitals dont want to deal with writing and rewriting contracts with smaller agencies. To work locally you should go with a local recruiter or just go to the facility directly for work as many will now try to cut out the recruiter and will provide you with lodging and relocation even for temp. jobs. Of course it will be dormitory housing like for interns. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sexysuavec in Sitka, Alaska

56 months ago

Labman65 in Palm Coast, Florida said: FYI,I was offered a travel job Monday that was about 2 hours from where I live that pays $31/hour, plus OT is available, $175 a week housing allowance, $150 a week car allowance, 7 on 7 off, I've been job hunting for 2 months and this was exactly what I had been looking for but just accepted a fulltime local permanent position.

would you mind telling me where this job is and what agency you were with when offered the job? how many more candidates were looked at with you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sexysuavec in Sitka, Alaska

56 months ago

NatMedTech in Sacramento, California said: It is true Northern Cali pays high wages for CLS's. Currently I am paid $50.16 an hour for PM shift at a hospital in Sacramento. We are unionized. I have 7 years experience. The cost of living is quite low here, espicially during this housing crisis. It makes it really tough to leave when the pay is so high. I highly recommend this area. There are lots of hospitals in this area looking for med techs: Kaiser Permanente, Suttter Hospitals, Catholic Healthcare West, UCDavis, Marshall Hospital. Good luck job searching!

Do any of these hospitals contract out with agencies or independent technologists?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

A TECH in Palm Springs, California said: It appears recently to get a travel job you must have many types of computer experience(MYSIS,Cerner,Meditech) also those with Micro and heavy Blood Bank skills are the only ones being sought after currently. Due to many lowering of skill requirements with CLIA chemistry and hematology and coag and urinalysis machines can be manned by lab assistants or MLT. This makes on some Micro and of course BB high complexity requiring the use of MT or CLS. Their are no day jobs usually. If you can work graves work is still available. The 7 on 7 off is becomming more popular and therefore doesnt work for travelers as the agencies dont want to pay for your housing the 7 days you are off. Additionally many of the smaller agencies were bought out as hospitals dont want to deal with writing and rewriting contracts with smaller agencies. To work locally you should go with a local recruiter or just go to the facility directly for work as many will now try to cut out the recruiter and will provide you with lodging and relocation even for temp. jobs. Of course it will be dormitory housing like for interns. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, I did not know about the new CLIA skill requirements. I can see now why many employers are hiring MLT rather than MT-cheaper! Think I will wait and see what the new year brings and go from there. Thanks

sick and tired in Marietta, Georgia

56 months ago

Jermaine in Orlando, Florida said: It's seems like the only area to work as a CLS is California. I am in florida, this state requires a license and they still pay like Sh*t. They have MLTs working here that are lowering pay.

All hospitals and clinics want to do is hire cheap labor: MLTs and AMTs from the filipines bc no US students at the university level wants to work for terrible pay with a BS degree.

You do not see them recruiting Filipinos for pharmacy or physical therapy, Y? Bc there is plenty of interest for US students and plenty of money in the field.

I am getting out, an I am sure a MLT or AMT Filipino will take my place.

Give me a break stop blaming MLT'S for lack of pay.If you do not like your pay find another profession. MLT' work hard as well for there degrees and should not have to hear tired mt's complaining all the time of lack of pay. Im tired of hearing it and seeing it..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Ross

56 months ago

Trust me there are plenty of people leaving the field for that same reason, hence the shortage and recruiting overseas. All of my classmates left the MT profession and my MLT program in my area is closing down.

It makes sense really, a associate level RN or even a xray tech makes more money than a associate level MLT, that is why there are more schools are closing down (no interest, no money).

I went to my friends graduation and when I saw the commensary booklet there were: 10 xray, 5 respiratory, 150 RNS, and 1 MLT that graduated from this community college. That will be the trend, like it or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Altoona, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

Donna in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania said: I have been doing Travel MT jobs for the last 9 years, never had a problem getting an assignment. Until now-registered with 3 agencies who haven't come up with anything. What the story? Where did all the jobs go?
All the agencies say things are going to pick up, but they have been saying that for about 9 mo now.
Any advise would be helpful. Thanks

HI Donna-just curious if you have worked as travel MT in PA and where ?

ajenki18 in Metairie, Louisiana

56 months ago

Chriss said: Well, I see that most of the poeple who have posted are not to happy with the travel situation for lab. I am a MLT out of Baton Rouge and currently am pursuing a BS in bus mgt and was considering a travel position for the summer while i study for my MT. I signed up with a few agencies and was almost immediately placed and will be leaving out in mid may. Im not sure which agencies ya'll have worked with but the market didnt seem to tight to me.

Hi, if you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the agency you are registered with in Baton Rouge,LA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Debbie in Altoona, Pennsylvania said: HI Donna-just curious if you have worked as travel MT in PA and where ?

Yes I have worked 4 assignments in Pa all in the central or eastern part of the state. But now the recruiters are looking for something for me in Pa and coming up with nothing!!!

daydream in Fitzgerald, Georgia

56 months ago

Jermaine in Orlando, Florida said: It's seems like the only area to work as a CLS is California. I am in florida, this state requires a license and they still pay like Sh*t. They have MLTs working here that are lowering pay.

All hospitals and clinics want to do is hire cheap labor: MLTs and AMTs from the filipines bc no US students at the university level wants to work for terrible pay with a BS degree.

You do not see them recruiting Filipinos for pharmacy or physical therapy, Y? Bc there is plenty of interest for US students and plenty of money in the field.

I am getting out, an I am sure a MLT or AMT Filipino will take my place.

hi jermaine..i am a filipina working as an MT here in GA.it is true the pay that we have here is really low..but what can we do?i guess the problem is that all the MTs and MLTs are not united. we have different licensing institution. can we make it just one?how can we better represent our profession when even our licensing body is very confusing. there is the AMT and the ASCP. my only advice to you is look for another career. an RN has a much better pay than an MT.

and one more thing, there are a lot of filipino PT and OT here in GA and florida. try looking around. the thing is, we were hired not because we agree on cheap salary. we were hired because we are good with our job and not a lot of americans get a college degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

RESA01 in Memphis, Tennessee

56 months ago

I AM A MLT/ASCP WITH 5 YEARS EXPIERENCE IN CORELAB AND BLOOD BANK I AM GOING BACK TO SCHOOL TO GET MY MT/BS AND WANT TO MOVE BACK TO CA WHERE I GREW UP.
PLEASE GIVE ME THE 411 ABOUT MAKING THIS TRANSITION, ALL REPLYS NEEDED!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MKB424 in San Diego, California

55 months ago

I have been doing travel assignments as a MT(ASCP) for over 3 years, I have over 10 years experience. In California at this time (2010) am experienced MT(ASCP) can expect to get about $30/yr along with free housing and per diem pay . Other states get about $23+- /hour and free housing and perdiem pay. Benefits are available..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Penelope in San Francisco, California

55 months ago

I am an MT ASCP, CA licensed, originally from the Philippines and have about 20 years of experienced working as a med
tech in the hospital. About a year ago, I resigned from my permanent job and decided to work as a traveling CLS. There
are times when I wished I had just transferred to another permanent job like in a biotech company doing molecular testing and there are times when I am happy being a traveler. Here are the many pros and cons:
- money is very good. The net pay without OT, w/out housing allowance but w/ per diem (non-taxable) and car allowance (taxable) is $1200+ a week.
- furnished private housing is provided and usually about 5 miles from work so you don't consume too much gas OR you
can request for the housing money (about $1400 - $1600 a month) and get your own apartment or room and pocket the balance. If the agency provides housing, utilities are also provided.
- up to $50 a month is provided for a land line or cable
- a one time travel allowance split into your first week and last week is provided. One agency will reimburse for gas money. In some cases, they will pay for your air fare.
- since contract is usually for 13 weeks, unless both employee and client agree to an extension which nowadays is good, you don't have to be involved in hospital politics and intrigues.
- you are paid weekly!!
- - -
- there is not much training given. They expect you to pick up fast, like within a week.
- they give you the work and the hours that other CLS don't want to take.
- I agree 100% to Anonymous in Kenosha. There is resentment towards travelers because of the pay.
- agencies will always try for the lowest pay they can give. Negotiate and calculate the rate before agreeing to take the assignment and make sure every detail is stated in the contract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

sato in Milpitas, California said: Honestly u can make almost $60 an hour or more..with the per diem pay your getting and take note non taxable. all in all $9k in a month net pay. BUT they're right not too many traveling job nowadays. There are, but in places that u might not like.

If you based it on gross pay, one can make more than $50 an hour as a traveling MT. The only way one can net $9000
a month is buy working 8 hour OT's at least 2x a week.

55 months ago

Jec1182 in Fresno, California said: Sorry to tell you all-I'm an MT (ASCP) and CLS (NCA). I moved to California last year only to find that I can't work here as an MT. That's right-I graduated from a well-recognized ASCLS-accredited program. Because of the structure (2+2), California refuses to recognize it as sufficient education. So my 4-year degree (BS CLS), my student rotations, and 1.5 years of experience mean nothing out here. If you're not educated in California or the Phillippines, you're out of luck. There are unions out here, that's why the wages are high. Don't move out here unless you're cool with being told you have to go back to school for a degree you already have.

I graduated in the Philippines w/ a degree in Medicine and had to come to US to join my family. I could not pass the exam for foreign medical graduates so I took the one year internship for MT and then passed the ASCP. With 10 years experience working as an MT in a VA hospital in CA (they recognize ASCP), I tried applying for the CA license 2x. CDHS rejected my application 2x after taking the non-refundable fee. Only after bombarding them with calls and almost
begging them to let me take the exam did they allow me finally to take the CA board on my 3rd application. I am now
a traveling CLS in CA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in San Francisco, California

55 months ago

Anon in Lewistown, Montana said: I've been on the road as a travel MT on and off for 5 years. I have gone thru a pay decrease but have not stopped working. As a traveler, you have to plan your next step before you finish a contract. I took a pay cut to get a VA job for the security clearance and to help put me at the top of the piles of resumes for positions. I am registered with around 12 agencies to get exactly the location I want. If anyone is still looking, they haven't considered all options. IHS (Indian Health Services) are almost always looking for travelers because they are in remote areas and not citys and the patient load is different. I have noticed that the market is not anywhere like it used to be and a lot of travelers are just extending where they are if they can and trying to wait it out. This will pass over as there are not enough people entering this field to fill all of the openings that are going to be occurring in the next several years.

I have been a traveler for year and a half and have worked for 2 agencies. Do you favor any agency over another?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.