Salary for Traveling Medical Technologist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 111)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

You would like to know in Knoxville, Tennessee

91 months ago

I am looking into becoming a traveling medical technologist. I am wondering what the average pay is for a traveling medical tech is. Is $50/hr possible?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (228) / No (73) Reply - Report abuse

wsdrbj in Minneapolis, Minnesota

79 months ago

I think the travel jobs are a joke. In this dumb a--!! state of Minnesaota the clinics and hospitals only want to hire CLT's and MLT's. My question is why do you need a 4 year degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Fustrate in Miami, Florida

79 months ago

Aureos is not a good company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

I have been doing Travel MT jobs for the last 9 years, never had a problem getting an assignment. Until now-registered with 3 agencies who haven't come up with anything. What the story? Where did all the jobs go?
All the agencies say things are going to pick up, but they have been saying that for about 9 mo now.
Any advise would be helpful. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A TECH in Palm Springs, California

78 months ago

It appears recently to get a travel job you must have many types of computer experience(MYSIS,Cerner,Meditech) also those with Micro and heavy Blood Bank skills are the only ones being sought after currently. Due to many lowering of skill requirements with CLIA chemistry and hematology and coag and urinalysis machines can be manned by lab assistants or MLT. This makes on some Micro and of course BB high complexity requiring the use of MT or CLS. Their are no day jobs usually. If you can work graves work is still available. The 7 on 7 off is becomming more popular and therefore doesnt work for travelers as the agencies dont want to pay for your housing the 7 days you are off. Additionally many of the smaller agencies were bought out as hospitals dont want to deal with writing and rewriting contracts with smaller agencies. To work locally you should go with a local recruiter or just go to the facility directly for work as many will now try to cut out the recruiter and will provide you with lodging and relocation even for temp. jobs. Of course it will be dormitory housing like for interns. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

sexysuavec in Sitka, Alaska

78 months ago

Labman65 in Palm Coast, Florida said: FYI,I was offered a travel job Monday that was about 2 hours from where I live that pays $31/hour, plus OT is available, $175 a week housing allowance, $150 a week car allowance, 7 on 7 off, I've been job hunting for 2 months and this was exactly what I had been looking for but just accepted a fulltime local permanent position.

would you mind telling me where this job is and what agency you were with when offered the job? how many more candidates were looked at with you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sexysuavec in Sitka, Alaska

78 months ago

NatMedTech in Sacramento, California said: It is true Northern Cali pays high wages for CLS's. Currently I am paid $50.16 an hour for PM shift at a hospital in Sacramento. We are unionized. I have 7 years experience. The cost of living is quite low here, espicially during this housing crisis. It makes it really tough to leave when the pay is so high. I highly recommend this area. There are lots of hospitals in this area looking for med techs: Kaiser Permanente, Suttter Hospitals, Catholic Healthcare West, UCDavis, Marshall Hospital. Good luck job searching!

Do any of these hospitals contract out with agencies or independent technologists?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

A TECH in Palm Springs, California said: It appears recently to get a travel job you must have many types of computer experience(MYSIS,Cerner,Meditech) also those with Micro and heavy Blood Bank skills are the only ones being sought after currently. Due to many lowering of skill requirements with CLIA chemistry and hematology and coag and urinalysis machines can be manned by lab assistants or MLT. This makes on some Micro and of course BB high complexity requiring the use of MT or CLS. Their are no day jobs usually. If you can work graves work is still available. The 7 on 7 off is becomming more popular and therefore doesnt work for travelers as the agencies dont want to pay for your housing the 7 days you are off. Additionally many of the smaller agencies were bought out as hospitals dont want to deal with writing and rewriting contracts with smaller agencies. To work locally you should go with a local recruiter or just go to the facility directly for work as many will now try to cut out the recruiter and will provide you with lodging and relocation even for temp. jobs. Of course it will be dormitory housing like for interns. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, I did not know about the new CLIA skill requirements. I can see now why many employers are hiring MLT rather than MT-cheaper! Think I will wait and see what the new year brings and go from there. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sick and tired in Marietta, Georgia

78 months ago

Jermaine in Orlando, Florida said: It's seems like the only area to work as a CLS is California. I am in florida, this state requires a license and they still pay like Sh*t. They have MLTs working here that are lowering pay.

All hospitals and clinics want to do is hire cheap labor: MLTs and AMTs from the filipines bc no US students at the university level wants to work for terrible pay with a BS degree.

You do not see them recruiting Filipinos for pharmacy or physical therapy, Y? Bc there is plenty of interest for US students and plenty of money in the field.

I am getting out, an I am sure a MLT or AMT Filipino will take my place.

Give me a break stop blaming MLT'S for lack of pay.If you do not like your pay find another profession. MLT' work hard as well for there degrees and should not have to hear tired mt's complaining all the time of lack of pay. Im tired of hearing it and seeing it..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Ross

78 months ago

Trust me there are plenty of people leaving the field for that same reason, hence the shortage and recruiting overseas. All of my classmates left the MT profession and my MLT program in my area is closing down.

It makes sense really, a associate level RN or even a xray tech makes more money than a associate level MLT, that is why there are more schools are closing down (no interest, no money).

I went to my friends graduation and when I saw the commensary booklet there were: 10 xray, 5 respiratory, 150 RNS, and 1 MLT that graduated from this community college. That will be the trend, like it or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Altoona, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

Donna in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania said: I have been doing Travel MT jobs for the last 9 years, never had a problem getting an assignment. Until now-registered with 3 agencies who haven't come up with anything. What the story? Where did all the jobs go?
All the agencies say things are going to pick up, but they have been saying that for about 9 mo now.
Any advise would be helpful. Thanks

HI Donna-just curious if you have worked as travel MT in PA and where ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ajenki18 in Metairie, Louisiana

78 months ago

Chriss said: Well, I see that most of the poeple who have posted are not to happy with the travel situation for lab. I am a MLT out of Baton Rouge and currently am pursuing a BS in bus mgt and was considering a travel position for the summer while i study for my MT. I signed up with a few agencies and was almost immediately placed and will be leaving out in mid may. Im not sure which agencies ya'll have worked with but the market didnt seem to tight to me.

Hi, if you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the agency you are registered with in Baton Rouge,LA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

daydream in Fitzgerald, Georgia

78 months ago

Jermaine in Orlando, Florida said: It's seems like the only area to work as a CLS is California. I am in florida, this state requires a license and they still pay like Sh*t. They have MLTs working here that are lowering pay.

All hospitals and clinics want to do is hire cheap labor: MLTs and AMTs from the filipines bc no US students at the university level wants to work for terrible pay with a BS degree.

You do not see them recruiting Filipinos for pharmacy or physical therapy, Y? Bc there is plenty of interest for US students and plenty of money in the field.

I am getting out, an I am sure a MLT or AMT Filipino will take my place.

hi jermaine..i am a filipina working as an MT here in GA.it is true the pay that we have here is really low..but what can we do?i guess the problem is that all the MTs and MLTs are not united. we have different licensing institution. can we make it just one?how can we better represent our profession when even our licensing body is very confusing. there is the AMT and the ASCP. my only advice to you is look for another career. an RN has a much better pay than an MT.

and one more thing, there are a lot of filipino PT and OT here in GA and florida. try looking around. the thing is, we were hired not because we agree on cheap salary. we were hired because we are good with our job and not a lot of americans get a college degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

RESA01 in Memphis, Tennessee

78 months ago

I AM A MLT/ASCP WITH 5 YEARS EXPIERENCE IN CORELAB AND BLOOD BANK I AM GOING BACK TO SCHOOL TO GET MY MT/BS AND WANT TO MOVE BACK TO CA WHERE I GREW UP.
PLEASE GIVE ME THE 411 ABOUT MAKING THIS TRANSITION, ALL REPLYS NEEDED!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MKB424 in San Diego, California

78 months ago

I have been doing travel assignments as a MT(ASCP) for over 3 years, I have over 10 years experience. In California at this time (2010) am experienced MT(ASCP) can expect to get about $30/yr along with free housing and per diem pay . Other states get about $23+- /hour and free housing and perdiem pay. Benefits are available..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Penelope in San Francisco, California

77 months ago

I am an MT ASCP, CA licensed, originally from the Philippines and have about 20 years of experienced working as a med
tech in the hospital. About a year ago, I resigned from my permanent job and decided to work as a traveling CLS. There
are times when I wished I had just transferred to another permanent job like in a biotech company doing molecular testing and there are times when I am happy being a traveler. Here are the many pros and cons:
- money is very good. The net pay without OT, w/out housing allowance but w/ per diem (non-taxable) and car allowance (taxable) is $1200+ a week.
- furnished private housing is provided and usually about 5 miles from work so you don't consume too much gas OR you
can request for the housing money (about $1400 - $1600 a month) and get your own apartment or room and pocket the balance. If the agency provides housing, utilities are also provided.
- up to $50 a month is provided for a land line or cable
- a one time travel allowance split into your first week and last week is provided. One agency will reimburse for gas money. In some cases, they will pay for your air fare.
- since contract is usually for 13 weeks, unless both employee and client agree to an extension which nowadays is good, you don't have to be involved in hospital politics and intrigues.
- you are paid weekly!!
- - -
- there is not much training given. They expect you to pick up fast, like within a week.
- they give you the work and the hours that other CLS don't want to take.
- I agree 100% to Anonymous in Kenosha. There is resentment towards travelers because of the pay.
- agencies will always try for the lowest pay they can give. Negotiate and calculate the rate before agreeing to take the assignment and make sure every detail is stated in the contract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

sato in Milpitas, California said: Honestly u can make almost $60 an hour or more..with the per diem pay your getting and take note non taxable. all in all $9k in a month net pay. BUT they're right not too many traveling job nowadays. There are, but in places that u might not like.

If you based it on gross pay, one can make more than $50 an hour as a traveling MT. The only way one can net $9000
a month is buy working 8 hour OT's at least 2x a week.

77 months ago

Jec1182 in Fresno, California said: Sorry to tell you all-I'm an MT (ASCP) and CLS (NCA). I moved to California last year only to find that I can't work here as an MT. That's right-I graduated from a well-recognized ASCLS-accredited program. Because of the structure (2+2), California refuses to recognize it as sufficient education. So my 4-year degree (BS CLS), my student rotations, and 1.5 years of experience mean nothing out here. If you're not educated in California or the Phillippines, you're out of luck. There are unions out here, that's why the wages are high. Don't move out here unless you're cool with being told you have to go back to school for a degree you already have.

I graduated in the Philippines w/ a degree in Medicine and had to come to US to join my family. I could not pass the exam for foreign medical graduates so I took the one year internship for MT and then passed the ASCP. With 10 years experience working as an MT in a VA hospital in CA (they recognize ASCP), I tried applying for the CA license 2x. CDHS rejected my application 2x after taking the non-refundable fee. Only after bombarding them with calls and almost
begging them to let me take the exam did they allow me finally to take the CA board on my 3rd application. I am now
a traveling CLS in CA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in San Francisco, California

77 months ago

Anon in Lewistown, Montana said: I've been on the road as a travel MT on and off for 5 years. I have gone thru a pay decrease but have not stopped working. As a traveler, you have to plan your next step before you finish a contract. I took a pay cut to get a VA job for the security clearance and to help put me at the top of the piles of resumes for positions. I am registered with around 12 agencies to get exactly the location I want. If anyone is still looking, they haven't considered all options. IHS (Indian Health Services) are almost always looking for travelers because they are in remote areas and not citys and the patient load is different. I have noticed that the market is not anywhere like it used to be and a lot of travelers are just extending where they are if they can and trying to wait it out. This will pass over as there are not enough people entering this field to fill all of the openings that are going to be occurring in the next several years.

I have been a traveler for year and a half and have worked for 2 agencies. Do you favor any agency over another?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cadzim

77 months ago

I usually work with many agencies but have found that Triage and Comp health are the two I like to go with most often. I would stay away from Aureus as what I have experienced is that they have no problems keeping your pay adn coming up with a trumped up reason even when you get offered an extension. I have been having problems with a recruiter from RTG trying to steal a contract from another agency after I got the job with the first agency. Then they went even further and called the facility towards the end of my contract to say I was slated to go to Kansas (never) on a Monday and wanted to fill my position. They never did anything to that recruiter and I am going to file a slander suit from everything that occurred with it.

I just recently took another contract put had 4 very attractive contracts on the table. The biggest thing that seems to make a difference is your resume. I now have 3 resumes (generalist, micro, and bloodbank) that I choose from. Each resume is 5-6 pages and includes a page that lists the equipment and computer systems that I have used. I have been told by facilities and agencies that my resume is strong and that's how I get the interviews to land the jobs.

If you want more help email me at cadzim@yahoo.com.

Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Traveler

72 months ago

Fustrate in Miami, Florida said: Aureos is not a good company.

do not work for Resources on call they are not a good honest company

Traveler

72 months ago

crflava in Aiken, South Carolina said: Oh, one more thing. I have offered to work any shift, day and location across the country as well. Thats how bad things are for travel lab jobs are. The last few months has been incredibly difficult economically for hospitals as well. The company I worked for charged $70 for every hour I worked. What?? Thats crazy! Not many places can afford that.

There are still people doing travel jobs, but they are already in place most likely. If any new jobs come up...you might be in an applicant pool of 100+?? who knows.

I have heard that RN, PT, and OT have more travel positions then they can fill. They can't get enough people to fill them. Its just lab people...the red headed step child of the medical world.

don't work for Resources on call. They lie and try to deceive you when it comes to wages. If they feel you are in a strong need to work they will try to put as much money in their pocket. I have met and known at least 3 teavelers they have burned

Molly in Ashton, Iowa

71 months ago

I have been a traveler for 5 years. I have never gone without a job unless I have chosen to. I make twice as much clear as I would working at a permenant job. I really think it's how you interview and the experience you have. I got into it because I couldn't handle the politics and haven't regretted my decision yet. I also have had opportunities where places I have worked before have requested me to come back in higher paid positions. I have been a Blood Bank Supervisor, Lead Technologist, and currently I am a lab director.

emtpy nest in Eugene, Oregon

71 months ago

Finally, the kids are moving on! I know this is a little off topic but I am 42 and wondering if anyone knows anything about agencies that offer INTERNATIONAL traveling programs.

scootermama in Clover, South Carolina

70 months ago

I have been in Blood Bank for 26yrs. Looking to relocate to Western Mass. Anyone know of traveler positions there? or the rate of pay in hospitals, like Baystate in Springfield?

Ann in Pearl River, Louisiana

70 months ago

For traveling med tech: Is it easy to travel with a friend if you are both MT? To get assigned to the same city/and or/hospital?

A TECH in Reno, Nevada

70 months ago

It would be almost impossible for two techs traveling together to get a job unless you were willing to work for the lowest pay possible and take a job on through Indian Health Services. Would you really want to work in a place that could place two travlers at time. In that case either management at the facility is difficult to deal with or no one wants to work there. Most places their budgets do no allow for the hiring of more than one traveler in a lab at a time. If this were the case one of you would surly be working graveyard. A more useful combination is a Tech and RN or a Tech and RT traveling together as a couple and being given contracts together. However do not count on a housing allowence for both contracts if they hire you as a team. If you go to a large city you might be lucky to both get contracts at hospitals in the same area. There currently are not many travel jobs for Techs unless you have BB or Micro experience. good luck

pointsp in Eugene, Oregon

70 months ago

Tia in Baltimore, Maryland said: Where does your sister work? And what Agency did she go through?

I have traveled for 7 yrs and have never made more than 25per hr. I have 25 yrs experience and am ASCP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pointsp in Eugene, Oregon

70 months ago

Traveler said: do not work for Resources on call they are not a good honest company

Resources on Call has always been good to me. I have traveled for them on several assignments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A Tech in Palm Desert, California

70 months ago

I worked for Resources on Call for 7 years and was constantly on assignment for them in N. Ca. You are the one responsible for the fine points of your contract so if you are not being paid fairly or according to the contract then contact the Labor Board in your state...They always take the side of the employee and the employer has to state why you were not paid properly. Yes you must know the area you are going to work in to know what is fair pay. They will always try to low ball you on wages but then they are in business are they not?

ROC (Resources) was bought out by Nursefinders about 18 months ago so I do not expect them to be concentrating too much longer on MT/MLT jobs as their main focus is nursing. You can see the jobs drying up and this is true for Resources also. No one wants to pay 70 plus dollars an hour to the agency for a tech. Yes that is what the agencies make per hour...so you are only making a fraction of what they get per hour for your labor...but then they do pay for housing etc. They profit about 33% of what you make or they will suddenly tell you they have no jobs. As soon as you become a seasoned traveler and know the ropes and know how to work a contract you suddenly are not needed, as there is always a greener tech who is willing to work for less just to get their foot in the door. Everyone stick together...never take a job in Ca if the base pay is less then 30 dollars per hour minimum. There really are very few techs willing to travel and if we all stick together we can keep the pay from dropping.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sammieosu in Avon, Indiana

68 months ago

Angrywolf in Nashville, Tennessee said: Dream on about the $50.
With the wear and tear on your car and the cost of gas which is bound to go back up eventually although it is low now I wouldn't even consider doing anything like that.

You wouldn't have any wear and tear on your car because they give you one and pay for it. This includes maintenance etc. I have traveled5 times. 26/hr at least- They pay for your apartment, give you a stipend for gas, food. They also have a 401 K, Benefits etc. You are virtually keeping the $26.00/hr and you won't have to pay any bills.

sammieosu in Avon, Indiana

68 months ago

scootermama in Clover, South Carolina said: I have been in Blood Bank for 26yrs. Looking to relocate to Western Mass. Anyone know of traveler positions there? or the rate of pay in hospitals, like Baystate in Springfield?

There is always a need for a Blood Banker. This along with Microbiology are becoming specialized. The only position available would be a Generalist. I have traveled 5 times and am trying to travel again. It you can get the job it is great. I would get o google and find all hospitals in Massachusettes and check their job status. I traveled to Boston University Medical Center 2x. once for 3 months an they called me back again for 4 months. LOVED it.

drehac in Bakersfield, California

68 months ago

if you come to kern medical center in bakersfield, they pay perdiem around 45 an hour, and if your traveling, they pay 60 an hour. i have talked to the head of CLS program there, she mentioned she hates paying travelers that much. lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robin in Cordova, Tennessee

67 months ago

I recently accepted a travel MT job on Indian reservation. It was very nice, the people were nice, Glacier Mountain Park in Montana was incredibly gorgeous. The only problem: ATC travelers did not pay what was agreed in contract, and attempted to screw me out of my money every chance they could get. I fought for every penny that I finally got, but they still owe me around 2,000 dollars for per diem and for the cost of Health care insurance that I never received. I will probably never see the money as I will have to get an attorney, and of course the company is in Northern New York. They were so bad that Indian Health Services will never negotiate with them ever again. I was planning on staying with them for at least 1.5 years, but when you only get about 1/2 of your check, I can't stay with a company that is dishonest. Before you take a contract, spend some time talking with some people that have done it for awhile. You need to know how to negotiate contract,and stand toe to toe to get what is promised, and you will need to read every line of the contract, getting clarification on anything that you do not completely understand. This is imperative! You can screw your own self if you do not. Ask for a guarantee of 36 - 40 hrs. If they send you home early because of low census, you will still get paid regardless. Not if you call in sick though, which will come out of your per diem as well. I knew how to negotiate because my ex-husband was on contract for over 3 years, and I did all of the negotiations for him, and learned the hard way on many things. Just thought I would give a little advice. I did love being a travel position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynda in Turtle Lake, Wisconsin

67 months ago

Thank you for your comments. I am a MT generalist with heavy Core Lab and Transfusion experience and am thinking of doing some traveling Jobs next year. Husband is retired and am thinking this may be a way to see some of the USA together. All who post are helping others find out "the real facts of being a traveler". I don't want a full time job, just some variety. Thanks again to all who post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Reno, Nevada

66 months ago

I worked as a Medical Technologist traveler, mostly in northern CA for several years. I loved all my assignments with the exception of one.
They key to getting higher pay, is to treat being a traveler like a business. Your sole product being yourself. I accepted what they offered the first three assignments. I did the best possible job I could, behaved professionally, which got me very high praises from the managers of all three labs, as well as offers for permanent employment. Then I found it incredibly easy to get higher pay from my agency. They don't want to lose the good ones. Being friendly will help too. You will meet people who resent you, but if you ignore it and be friendly in spite of it, they usually come around.
I would go back to travel in a heart beat if I didn't own a home in this depressed housing market. I'm kind of kicking myself right now!
The agencies that I thought were fair are Healthcare Connection and CompHealth.
I wouldn't work for Resources on Call or Rapid Temps again.
I would recommend getting a CA license. If you have ASCP and your college classes meet the criterion for CA, then you can get licensed without taking the exam. I don't know what the exam is like now, but I found it more difficult than ASCP and NCA.

Jinx3726 in Boise, Idaho

66 months ago

You would like to know in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I am looking into becoming a traveling medical technologist. I am wondering what the average pay is for a traveling medical tech is. Is $50/hr possible?

No. I did travel for three years. The only way you can make any money is with a California license now and/or work nights/weekends. With your expenses paid it's worthwhile. Not my cup of tea though... The best job I had was about $1400/wk.with housing and a car. That's real good.

Jinx3726 in Boise, Idaho

66 months ago

aj in League City, Texas said: hi CA guy, i read many of your posts. seems like california pays well for MT's compared to any other state in this country. i am doing my clinicals in texas rt now. i am wanting to move to CA. being out of state,wat is the best way to search for MT jobs in CA? i am looking closer to san fransisco- like sunnyville- santa clara.( but it doesnt really matter)
pls advice.
thankyou.

You have to have a California license and it's a b_tch to get unless your fresh out of school. They age discriminate.

Histo in Jamaica, New York

65 months ago

I know this forum is currently for Med Techs, but I am a histotechnologist with my HTL (ASCP) and am wondering what the travel opportunities are like for histotechs. I see there are plenty of perm positions nationwide and am assuming that it shouldn't be to difficult to secure an assignment. I would love to travel (with my son) for about a year or two. Does anyone on here know of traveling histotechs and can you tell me what companies are best to work with.
Also how long can one get an assignment for? I am hoping to get an assignment in a location for at least six months (so that we can have a full school year in one location). Any info would be great. Thanks

a tech in Cathedral City, California

65 months ago

Usually assignments are 13 weeks or 6 months...but I must caution everyone that you run into IRS TAX problems if you travel for a continuous year....firstly you must own a property that you pay the mortgage and taxes on in a location other than where you are currently working as a traveler...then if you are gone for a whole year....without taking at least 30 days off...all per diems become taxable....The IRS is really onto this now.....so you must keep moving around....you can go back to the same place more than once but you must have a break in the contract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

a tech in Cathedral City, California

65 months ago

Jennylevi in Los Angeles, California said: I think we echanged info before, but I am wondering if you or your coworkers have considered a class lawsuit to obtain two hours of pay daily for the missed meal and lunch breaks, unpaid overtime and travel time pay. I will be bringing a similar case against Maxim as they do the same thing, and don't properly pay overtime to keep their costs down. This is unacceptable. An LVN is coming forward to help with the case.

Maxim has 1.2 billion in annual revenues and they are still seeking to drive down pay for LVNs that work extremely hard. I think the med techs should do the same. If any one there in CA has any background info that you would like to share about being properly paid, please let me know. I am researching the company's practices right now and would love to hear from employees, anonymous or otherwise. Thanks.

YOU do not need to do anything like get a lawyer or start a class action suit...all you need to do is fill out a one page form at the labor board in Ca..to the office nearest where you worked....the employer then only has 10 days to answer and they pay a stiff penalty if they do not reply...I was successful this way and recouped almost 10,000 in overtime and missed lunch pay....the labor board always takes the side of the employee not the employer...you have 3 years from the time this happened to you to file retroactively....good luck..but you wont need it just file the papers....remember no one can ask you to sign away your overtime or missed lunch pay in ca it is illegal...

lorab in Wetumpka, Alabama

65 months ago

Fustrate in Miami, Florida said: Aureos is not a good company.

You are totally right!!! Aureus sucks for sure. I worked for them for several years in the late '90s when traveling was wide open. i had asked for a raise of a couple of dollars and hour on beeper time for call pay. They told me more than once they couldnt afford it.The chief sonographer of the dept overheard my conversation with my rep and later showed me the contract that Aureus had with the hospital for me working there for a 13 wk stint. (i am a registerd vascular sonographer and at the time had 14 yrs exp) In the contract for MY WORK they charged the hospital $7,300.00 per week!!!!! They couldnt aford a few bucks more for me carrying a beeper and taking call for days on end!!! i damn sure wasnt being paid $7,300.00 a wk!!! They are the greediest group of people ever that want to pay their employees crap. By the way they never show the contract with the hospital to the employee they have working for said hospital. before i quit there employ, i told them about being shown the contract, to say the least they werent happy at all. GREEDY, GREEDY COMPANY!!! They dont care that youre the one thats doing all the work and staying up all night taking call.

lorab in Wetumpka, Alabama

65 months ago

lorab in Wetumpka, Alabama said: You are totally right!!! Aureus sucks for sure. I worked for them for several years in the late '90s when traveling was wide open. i had asked for a raise of a couple of dollars and hour on beeper time for call pay. They told me more than once they couldnt afford it.The chief sonographer of the dept overheard my conversation with my rep and later showed me the contract that Aureus had with the hospital for me working there for a 13 wk stint. (i am a registerd vascular sonographer and at the time had 14 yrs exp) In the contract for MY WORK they charged the hospital $7,300.00 per week!!!!! They couldnt aford a few bucks more for me carrying a beeper and taking call for days on end!!! i damn sure wasnt being paid $7,300.00 a wk!!! They are the greediest group of people ever that want to pay their employees crap. By the way they never show the contract with the hospital to the employee they have working for said hospital. before i quit there employ, i told them about being shown the contract, to say the least they werent happy at all. GREEDY, GREEDY COMPANY!!! They dont care that youre the one thats doing all the work and staying up all night taking call.

Sorry for typos and sic's!! The more i typed, the madder i got remembering how they were. I made Aureus a LOT of money!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

davemt in Dallas, Texas

65 months ago

cadzim said: I usually work with many agencies but have found that Triage and Comp health are the two I like to go with most often. I would stay away from Aureus as what I have experienced is that they have no problems keeping your pay adn coming up with a trumped up reason even when you get offered an extension. I have been having problems with a recruiter from RTG trying to steal a contract from another agency after I got the job with the first agency. Then they went even further and called the facility towards the end of my contract to say I was slated to go to Kansas (never) on a Monday and wanted to fill my position. They never did anything to that recruiter and I am going to file a slander suit from everything that occurred with it.

I have 20+ years of experience as a Generalist and more than half of it as a Traveler. I would have to agree that there are too many unscrupulous agencies or recruiters, but traveling has been good to me and I've enjoyed taking my family to places they otherwise might not have experienced; my kids (4) have seen things before they're 10 years old that many adults will NEVER see. My wife is a PTA, so we've both worked locum tenens. We travel in a motorhome or 5th-wheel toyhauler (we are paid Hourly Wage, Per Diem and Housing Allowance) to keep "home" consistent for the kids, and I negotiate our contracts to keep our money as strong (~$37-39 for her and $40-45 for me) as possible. Of course, the economy has affected the money, so we've seen the wages go up and down, and we've endured some dry spells, but that's the nature of the beast. I agree with multiple comments made on this forum about Aureus and a couple of others; Triage is composed of numerous people who left Aureus, for reasons such as those mentioned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Histo in Jamaica, New York

65 months ago

Thanks to everyone for the responses!
Now I know we are currently talking on this forum about travel in the US but I'm gonna push the topic a bit further and ask if anyone has traveled internationally as a med tech. Any stories would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Eugene Williams in Dallas, Texas

64 months ago

35 years experience generalist BSMT(ASCP)
lOOKING TO TRAVEL FOR 5 YEARS AND RETIRE

Sheilahicksmt@*****.*** in Avon, Indiana

64 months ago

CLS48 in California said: I'd say in CA, if you get no benefits and have 20 years of experience, you can get close to $42-45 an hour. Besides that, you'd have to be a supervisor with a lot of experience to make that much.

You must have the California license. Same with Florida, Tennessee, New York.

64 months ago

Histo in Jamaica, New York said: I know this forum is currently for Med Techs, but I am a histotechnologist with my HTL (ASCP) and am wondering what the travel opportunities are like for histotechs. I see there are plenty of perm positions nationwide and am assuming that it shouldn't be to difficult to secure an assignment. I would love to travel (with my son) for about a year or two. Does anyone on here know of traveling histotechs and can you tell me what companies are best to work with.
Also how long can one get an assignment for? I am hoping to get an assignment in a location for at least six months (so that we can have a full school year in one location). Any info would be great. Thanks

I have seen quite a few travel Histo tech jobs. Just keep fishing. Definitely get with a good recruiter

64 months ago

Anonymous in Kenosha, Wisconsin said: Typical pay: $23-25/hr, $210/wk per diem, $150/wk for car allowance, they pay for housing, which may or may not be nice, or they may give you a housing stipend and you find housing that is to your liking. It doesn't go as far as you may think if you maintain a permanent residence. Remember, this is while you are working. You get no sick or vacation time. You may go for weeks or months without an assignment. Jobs are drying up fast because of the economy. Many positions are in small rural areas. You may not like that if you are used to the Baltimore-Washington area. You need to be able to do whatever they want with minimal training. Expect to be resented by management and other staff because you make more. And expect to work harder than everyone else. That's not to say that travel is a bad thing; I've worked with lots of nice people and had fun. It's just you should be aware of the reality.

They have a learning curve that is impossible to meet. Like 1 week in all areas including IT. One place I worked terminated my contract after 3 wks because I wsn't running all the chemistry analyzers but, I had NO training. Even one day would have been decent. I was running some that I was familiar with. They were supposed to go over that machine with me. They now have I believe, 6-7 perm job openings. It was awful there. The worst job I have ever had. It is in Indiana,(mooresville, beachgrove and one other hospital). You have to rotate to all of them. Check it out but, it is permanent.

LM in Cumberland, Wisconsin

64 months ago

Hi thanks for the reality check. I would like to try to travel as a Medical Technologist but am wondering about health insurance. Any information if you get any insurance would be appreciated.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.