How can I re-enter the field?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Sue in Wilmington, Delaware

91 months ago

Hello - I'd like any feedback I can get!

I graduated 25 years ago with a degree in Medical Technology and am ASCP certified. There were very few MT jobs available at that time so I started a career in the Pharmaceutical industry, progressing from lab tech to Director of an analytical testing lab. I'm ready to shift careers and would like to re-enter the clinical lab. I have applied for entry level positions and have gotten little or no response. I have looked around and asked around about retraining programs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to re-enter the clinical lab?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angrywolf in Smithville, Tennessee

91 months ago

Does the state where you live require a state license ?

You probably have to get past HR people who screen the applicants and talk to a lab supervisor/manager directly and try to persuade them to give you a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Wilmington, Delaware

91 months ago

No - there is not a state licensure requirement in my state or neighboring states. Are there any lab supervisers or managers out there who can tell me if you would hire someone in my situation and provide training or would you require repeating a training program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Grants Pass, Oregon

91 months ago

I look forward to information on this topic. Thinking about going back to MT work after many years. Hoping it's like riding a bike - you don't really forget.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Wanda in Ridgewood, New Jersey

90 months ago

I stopped working as a Generalist Med Tech in 1998 and was returning to the field for a job in 2006. and it took me 6 months of looking I am ASCP-MT.And I sincerely believe another thing that was holding me back was my age because I was 58 at the time. Fortunately a friend (she is a nurse) referred me to her boss in a POL. The Dr. interviewed me, first briefly on the telephone and when I showed up for interview 10 minutes early the following day he was so happy to see me. That small act of being on time is also important and shows your determination and desire to work. It also shows that you respect the persons time he or she is taking to fit you into a tight schedule. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.