Who likes their job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 228)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

cekllo in Chicago, Illinois

75 months ago

Does anybody here like their job as a Medical Technologist? I've read many negative posts, which are generally about pay and respect. What are the good things about this job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gene in Pearland, Texas

75 months ago

The good thing is that you can find a job, bad thing pay sucks, the field is not regulated, might as well be unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

75 months ago

Well for me overall, I am content with it. I make good money, no stress or pressure, and it's pretty easy. Sometimes I think it's too easy and I need a more challenging job thinking wise. Other than that I can deal with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Thanks for the comments.

CLS48 - I've been researching this career, and I can see where it could get routine. Are there opportunities to keep learning and expand your knowledge? Or, are you just expected to keep doing what you already know how to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tierra in Florence, Kentucky

75 months ago

I enjoy my job as a medical technologist. It can be stressful at times,but the money has been pretty good (not as good as nursing), but there always a need for our position, which is great (in these hard economic times).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

John1104 in Orlando, Florida

75 months ago

Anyone knows of any schools where I can get a associates in pharmacy, physical therapy? I want to cut the schooling down to two years and get paid like a pharmacist or physical therapist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Stephani in Snoqualmie, Washington

75 months ago

John1104 in Orlando, Florida said: Anyone knows of any schools where I can get a associates in pharmacy, physical therapy? I want to cut the schooling down to two years and get paid like a pharmacist or physical therapist?

Many Community Colleges have Physical Therapist Assistant programs... PTA's do much of what a PT does, minus the initial evaluation and a lot of the paperwork, but engages with the patient and has a big role in their treatment and recovery. PTA pay is not as high as a PT, but you get what you pay for... PT's go to school for 6 to 8 years and PTA is a 2 year program and they're in high demand pretty much everywhere.

I have no input about Pharm. I have heard nothing but nightmare stories from Pharm Assistants and how horrible the pay/treatment is.

RN is another route if you only want to put in a couple of years. Yes, the feedback about job satisfaction fluctuates from great to horrid...but the pay is good from the get go, there will never be a shortage of need for RN's, and you can always go back for a higher degree or specialty later, unlike many healthcare professions that require you start from scratch or make the commitment from the beginning.

I am planning on going to PTA school in the next year or so (once we can afford to lose my salary while in school). Good luck in your search!

CLS48 in California

75 months ago

John1104 in Orlando, Florida said: Anyone knows of any schools where I can get a associates in pharmacy, physical therapy? I want to cut the schooling down to two years and get paid like a pharmacist or physical therapist?

Lol I think you were joking right as I recognize you from other posts.

Cekllo I'll tell you how most of the departments are. Chemistry you have to make sure your reagents are QC'd and calibrated. If the instrument works, it's a breeze and you load specimens. All the chemistry theory you learned in school about enzymatic reactions, spectrophotometric analysis, and which chemicals are used in the reactions goes out the door because the instrument does all the work. Now the interesting yet not so fun part is when the instruments break down for whatever reason, then you have to troubleshoot it to fix it. Or just call service and have them fix it. Needless to say, chemistry is the easiest department.

In Blood bank you add a drop of antisera to a drop of blood, shake the tube and bam theres your blood type. You then do your antibody screen, hopefully by the gel method since it's alot easier than the tube method and most are negative. Afterwards you crossmatch with a drop here and there and you're done. This occurs over and over until you have a positive antibody screen, and then it gets a little interesting with the antibody id and if there are multiple antibodies some masking others. I think it's easy but it's also the department where a simple mistake could jack someone up. This is why you have to double check many times, and check your paperwork, something which I don't like to do and something that a detailed obsessed person would like. Needless to say, I don't like this department that much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

75 months ago

Then you have hematology. Kind of similar to chemistry with the cell counter doing the CBCs and coagulation doing the PT and PTTs. The fun part at least for me is doing the manual diffs and identifying cells yourself. You occasionally get funny looking cells, blasts, immature cells, and what not. Then you have your UAs which is also fun to do at least for me, particularly when I find a lot of bacteria and after I result it, I know that the doctor after seeing that will take immediate action to give the patient medicine for her UTI. For me, that's one of the direct effects of how I help a patient and a doctor find a diagnosis, something which makes me realize that I'm making a difference. I like hematology the most.

Micro is interesting but a little sick. You get all kinds of nasty specimens but I think it's one of the deparments where you think alot. You have to identify different bacterial colonies on a plate media by doing different tests. After awhile though, with experience you start knowing what type of bacteria it is just by looking at it. I've always been kind of paranoid about that department particularly working with TB specimens or fungi. Take a sniff of certain fungal organisms and you'll pretty much die if it's the bad type.

Immunology is filled with a lot of manual procedures that pretty much take no thinking after doing it over and over again. That includes your RPRs, elisa methods, and so forth. The only thinking comes with evaluating results if any.

So there you go, most of the common lab departments. I suppose if you try to keep yourself interested you can. A job is a job though and it pays, so even if you get bored with the mundane over and over, I suppose there are ways to keep it interesting, and it's better than not having a job especially with the economy like it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tuckerdog in Pennsylvania

75 months ago

cekllo in Chicago, Illinois said: Does anybody here like their job as a Medical Technologist? I've read many negative posts, which are generally about pay and respect. What are the good things about this job?

cekllo, you're right, there are many negatives in the field. Many times there seem to be more negatives than positives so I won't dwell on the negatives.

First, if you love science and lab work, medical technology/clinical laboratory science is the place to be. The primary other option is research. With a b.s. you will most likely be doing very mundane work, repetitiously, on a daily basis. Alternatively, in medical technology you will be able to work in many different areas of the lab and/or perhaps find an area that really interests you that you want to focus on. Pay in research is usually lower as well. Furthermore, research is dependent on funding which equals low job security. However, research facilities, in my experience, tend to be a more laid back environment- less stress.

Aside from finding a job in lab work that you love, the second best feature may be job security. A med tech can find a job just about anywhere. If you want to move, travel, etc., you won't have to give a whole lot of thought in picking a place as to whether or not you can get a job. Many people are restricted to cities or places offering jobs to move to a particular locale. In this field, that is generally of little concern with picking a place. Med Techs are in need everywhere.

Hope this helps.

There is a poll on www.cls-network.com for job satisfaction. It will be interesting to see how the results develop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Saber in detroit, Michigan

75 months ago

Its a simple way to increase job satisfaction, increase pay? How? Set standards in the clinical lab so employers are forced to pay well. If there are no standards (standard degree, standard certification or license) pay will be low and people will hate their job.

I have been on many pharmacy forums, the one thing they never complain about is money. They hate their job but pharmacist will stay working till they are crippled because the money is great. If pharmacy techs or someone on the streets can do the same job, that would cut the pharmacists pay therefore creating a shortage b/c noone would be interested. This is what is happening to the lab, no standards, no interest with new students in the universities = low pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Thank you for your replies! You've all offered very useful information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kim in Renton, Washington

74 months ago

Hi, I was wondering, should I get my BA in Medical Technology first and then get my degree in Pharmacy. I really want to go for MT but the pay really suck. After reading all the feedback, I was thinking that maybe one day they might set a standard for MT and the job get paid more then I can switch back to doing MT.
What do you think?
you think they will set a standard for MT one day though?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rohan@stjohns in Rego Park, New York

74 months ago

It's coming soon, the NCA & ASCP are merging into one. AMT is hardly recognized anymore and the states just have to follow suite. More and more job employers are looking to only hire bachelor degree MT's and the average age for an MT right now is at 51 I believe. They're all going into retirement so there will be a huge shortage = more demand = increased pay = more students taking BS(MT) = Standards arising. If this is done correctly, this field can really go the same path pharmacy did. All it takes is a few laws to be passed and a few death counts based on a sloppy diff done by a technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Hi, from what you said, how high do you think the salary will increase to? like around then 60k range?

MT Standards in Cibolo, Texas

74 months ago

kim in Renton, Washington said: Hi, I was wondering, should I get my BA in Medical Technology first and then get my degree in Pharmacy. I really want to go for MT but the pay really suck. After reading all the feedback, I was thinking that maybe one day they might set a standard for MT and the job get paid more then I can switch back to doing MT.
What do you think?
you think they will set a standard for MT one day though?

I don't know about Washington, but in Texas, the B.S. in Pharmacy no longer exists. All programs are now Pharm.D. They are six year programs, and you end up with a doctorate in Pharmacy. I wouldn't waste my time with medical technology. I'd go straight to pharmacy school. The average starting salary in Texas (low paying state) is $90K/year, so I am sure it is higher in Washington.

By the way, the starting salary for a medical technologist in the San Antonio area is $17/hour, and around $15/hour or less for an MLT. Laboratory science is not worth the cost of the education. I looked at salaries in other states and did cost-of-living comparisons and all salaries are relatively the same. That includes CALIFORNIA. Basically, you cannot live on a laboratory salary, unless you have more than one job or a spouse with a decent job.

Terry in Dallas, Texas

74 months ago

Create Standard = More pay (mandatory BS MT ASCP)

74 months ago

cekllo in Chicago, Illinois said: Does anybody here like their job as a Medical Technologist? I've read many negative posts, which are generally about pay and respect. What are the good things about this job?

I have been a medical technologist since 1982, and I have yet to find anything good about clinical laboratory work other than it is pretty much recession-free. The shifts suck!!! Day shift starts at either 5 a.m. or 6 a.m., I've seen a couple at 4 a.m., and there is no shift differential for early start hours (btw, nursing and most other allied health start at 7 a.m. or 8 a.m.). If you are not interested in having a life or friends, work second or third shifts. There is a lot of cattiness and backstabbing between women in the lab -- miserable, miserable work environment and very unprofessional. Low pay compared to other allied health professionals. NO respect -- I am embarassed to tell anyone that I have a B.S. in Medical Technology. One place I worked had a Christmas party for custodians, clerical, and lab and another Christmas party for doctors, nurses, and other allied health. The custodian/clerical/lab Christmas party was in a hospital conference room, had cupcakes, chips, and other cheap food. The highlight of the party was when the raffled off a ham. The nursing/allied health party was held in a hotel party room, was catered, and they raffled off a vacation to the Caribbean and big ticket electronics. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that that MTs/MLTs command the same respect as a custodian, probably make the same money too.

When you try to get a job in another field, employers look at your degree like you have a degree in underwater basket weaving from a third world country. If you are considering going into clinical laboratory science . . . consider anything else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Rohan@stjohns in Rego Park, New York said: That's actually kind of retarded to hear, if your talking about Texas then it's obvious why that sort of nonsense happens. When applying to med school or PA school, they are always delighted to hear you having a med-tech degree because they know how rigorous our curriculum is and how much it prepares you for other careers. Honestly I feel bad for you and you should seriously think of relocating because salaries in NYC and california are raising every year, in the manhattan borough in nyc here the pay for a MT in some prestigious hospitals are starting out at 35-36 an hour now.The party story was funny to hear though, if that was the case why do you even bother going? By the way, nurses have no right to even look down upon us because everyone in the health care field knows how much of a joke nursing school is in the first place. Ask them any organic chem question and they'll stare blank at your face till they have to whipe some patient's sh** again.

Look at a cost-of-living index between San Antonio, Texas and/or Manhatten/Brooklyn, New York. The cost-of-living in NYC is 2 - 2.5 times that of San Antonio, Texas. If someone is making $17/hour in San Antonio, the equivalent would be $34-$42/hour in New York. So, as I stated before, all med tech salaries are relatively the same, dependent on the cost of living of a particular location.

I left the Christmas party shortly after I arrived. I heard about the ham raffle and the nurse/allied health Christmas party from others.

I never said anything about not getting an MT/CLS degree to move on to medical or PA school. I said it was not a good idea for pharmacy school because it is a 6 year all-inclusive program.

Nursing is a "highly skilled" profession. There is no need to know anything about organic chemistry in that field and to think so is just arrogance. Not all nurses wipe arses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kim in Port Orchard, Washington

74 months ago

Well I'm thinking of living in Texas in the future and if the salary for MT down there is that low then I guess I'll just go to pharmacy
but isn't MT a fun career though? it sure sounds like it.

74 months ago

kim in Port Orchard, Washington said: Well I'm thinking of living in Texas in the future and if the salary for MT down there is that low then I guess I'll just go to pharmacy
but isn't MT a fun career though? it sure sounds like it.

Relative to other states, college in Texas is A LOT cheaper. You might consider establishing residency, then going to college in Texas.

Annie2 in Frisco, Texas

74 months ago

If you're a frustrated, think you're better than everyone else, break taker and you hide behind your certifications you'll be a miserable tech. If you enjoy simple assembly line work around moderately intelligent people you'll be happy. The pay is more than the job is worth and you can live on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

lkolecki in West Lafayette, Indiana

74 months ago

Hi! I am a student at Purdue University and looking into the Medical Technology major. I need to do a career interview and I was wondering if anyone who is already in this profession could give me their email so I could email you some questions to answer for me? Thanks! Lauren Kolecki lkolecki@purdue.edu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

crflava in Nashville, Tennessee

74 months ago

When will some people on here start realizing that $30-40 per hour in Manhattan or Cali is not making tons of money? I have worked across the country in the lab. $20-$25 is the going rate per hour people.

Police officers in Cali make over >100k per year. That is common after a few years on the force. It costs an arm and a leg for an apartment/house in most areas of NYC/Cali. Then add the higher taxes, gas, food, and you see your making the same as $23 per hour as the MT in Missouri or Kansas.

I have worked with too many techs working 2 lab jobs just to "get ahead". The old techs want out, but can't because they are in their 50's and 60's. The new techs are applying to physician assistant, nursing, and other medical programs.

For the ambitious being a med tech is a jump off to a better medical job. You can lie to yourself all you want, but we all know its true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Getemson83 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

crflava,

CLS's are capable of making >100k in cali with a few years on the force as well!!! lol....the only difference is that as a Police Officer in Cali you run a higher risk of getting your head blown off...TRUE STORY!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Getemson83 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: crflava,

CLS's are capable of making >100k in cali with a few years on the force as well!!! lol....the only difference is that as a Police Officer in Cali you run a higher risk of getting your head blown off...TRUE STORY!!!

Lab Directors make that much in Texas too. We're talking about bench techs, not management. Believe me, I have researched California, Washington D.C., New York and other high cost-of-living areas. I have yet to see a job that was not management that paid that much. If there are such jobs, please post a link to the job listing.

74 months ago

MT Standard,

If Lab Directors in Texas make >100k, then you can imagine what the supervisors make in Cali!!! :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Getemson83 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: MT Standard,

If Lab Directors in Texas make >100k, then you can imagine what the supervisors make in Cali!!! :-)

Not very much, check it out yourself:
www.indeed.com/salary

74 months ago

supervisor medical technologist in Jamaica, NY $94,000

I live in Jamaica, NY and that's what indeed/salary pulled off. Now seriously, 94k a year is living rich in this city....that's about the same salary as a pharmacist.

For bench techs, my area has an average of 70,000 a year. This is MORE than enough to live a wealthy life here. People seriously live here in NY working on minimum wage so that higher cost of living doesn't make sense.

74 months ago

MT Standards in Cibolo, Texas said: Relative to other states, college in Texas is A LOT cheaper. You might consider establishing residency, then going to college in Texas.

If I go to school in Texas, the first year I will have to pay out of state tuition which is more than what I am paying in WA right now. But do you happen to know what they would want to check for my residency's verification? like ID or what?

74 months ago

MT Standard,

According to www.indeed.com/salary, a CLS supervisor in my area of Northern California at the most makes 73K a year!!! Unbelievable!!! Something must be wrong, because as an entry-level bench CLS, one would be making 80K exactly (dayshift). If you dont believe me, please refer to the KAISER PERMANENTE UNION MANUAL SALARY CHART....LOL. I guarantee the figures stated in the MANUAL are definitly more reliable than www.indeed.com/salary...LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

MT STANDARD,

Its okay to be wrong every once and a while...LOL I would disclose the actual amount paid out to CLS supervisor's in Cali, but "MONEY BREEDS JEALOUSY, take the game from me!!!"

74 months ago

Getemson83 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: MT Standard,

According to www.indeed.com/salary , a CLS supervisor in my area of Northern California at the most makes 73K a year!!! Unbelievable!!! Something must be wrong, because as an entry-level bench CLS, one would be making 80K exactly (dayshift). If you dont believe me, please refer to the KAISER PERMANENTE UNION MANUAL SALARY CHART....LOL. I guarantee the figures stated in the MANUAL are definitly more reliable than www.indeed.com/salary...LOL

Getemson83, I hate to break it to you, but according to your IP address, you live somewhere around Pittsburgh, PA. Why are you pretending to be in California?

74 months ago

Because I dont bother to sign up for an account, I don't have the option to chnage my displayed location. I live in Northern Califonia. Please don't change the subject. It's okay to be wrong every once and a while ;-)

CLSintern in Dinuba, California

74 months ago

A friend of mine who just graduated last fall snagged a entry level MT position in San Jose, CA that is paying him $40/hr..not bad, eh?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

thats damn good. What hospital?

CLS48 in California

74 months ago

A police officer in CA starts at around 60K. I doubt a few years on the force gets them 100K+. Second, the cost of living in CA is not as high as people think. You can get a 1 bed apt for $800 to $1300 a month depending on location. Prices of houses have gone down to the point where they have 100K houses in many places and in places like orange county, there are 3 bed houses for 300K.

So when people out of the state constantly bring up the "high" cost of living in CA, I laugh because it's really not that bad.

A CLS supervisor here makes 70K to 80K. CLSs here really do get paid as much as we should. Getting paid $17 an hour as a CLS is insulting. You people should demand more pay and form unions. Instead of sitting here complaining about how low you all are paid, do something about it. I make 80K with my full time and per diem job (working 4 days extra in a month) on a day shift mind you without a shift differential. I know many CLSs who make over 100K here who just work more hours on their per diem or part time jobs.

I suppose I should complain that my pay isn't as good as that entry level CLS in San Jose who makes $40 an hour. Nah, I may is just right for now...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I feel for the others as well CLS48, one of the grad students who are finishing their clinicals this year I know personally was offered an entry level MT position in hematology lab at a hospital in Manhattan. Starting pay was 38.50 per hour with benefits included. Hearing 17 an hour is rather disturbing, move or get out while you can. It's probably mainly due to the standards still being very old school in your states and aren't adapting to bigger cities in the country just yet. However if you stay there and accept that sort of pay, things will never change.

Jerry in Rowlett, Texas

74 months ago

Rohan and CLS48 your states have it right. In new York ASCP is the SOLE licensing agency for NEW CLS/MT students. I worked in new York, they rarely used MLTs as well.

It's these other states that are so cheap and really do not care about standards that are bribing the CLS profession down, it's really pathetic.

Example pharmacy has standards so you will get paid 50/hour if you live in new York or Texas bc they are forced to hire someone with the proper degree and license.

Once standards are put in place BS MT (ASCP) CLS/MT will get paid 40/hour reguardless if you live in California or Alabama.

Till then these hospitals will get away with hiring cheap labor (AMT, MLT) in those states that do not care about standards.

Annie2 in Frisco, Texas

74 months ago

[QUOTE snip

Till then these hospitals will get away with hiring cheap labor (AMT, MLT) in those states that do not care about standards.

So you're saying that MLT's do substandard work and only MT's can push a button on a machine? I've seen MLT's that knew more and could work circles around most of the MT's (heck they taught most of the MT's). You probably have no patient contact and expect nursing level pay to do very simple work. You don't have to put with anything that goes in a hospital and you stay behind your secure walls. You got a big head and you're just worried about the money. You probably hope the rest of the world doesn't figure out how easy your job is.

Gus in Dallas, Texas

74 months ago

Annie give me a break, most mt ascp are very knowledgeable. That is why most MT ASCP are department supervisors or lab directors. You must be talking to MT with a AMT cert, as one poster pointed out the AMT is very basic.

The works knew how easy pharmacy was when it was a BS pharmacy and now a pharmd and they are still getting paid 50/hour to count pills. So I could care less if you think the job is so easy. Once standards increase like all allied health fields them there will be a increase in pay

John1104 in Fort Worth, Texas

74 months ago

Yes Annie pharmacist are behind walls and count pills, my friend has only her bsPharm and she makes 56/hour. Yes and the world knows how easy her job is, she said she doesn't even have to look at interactions bc it's in the computer. Also a pharmacy tech cannot replace her bc their are laws to work as a pharmacist.

In Cali and new York they are doing it right and have standards set, so they are gettig paid, the rest of the country is lagging and hiring cheap labor (mlt,amt)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Annie2 in Frisco, Texas

74 months ago

With no experience I think a MLT beats a MT for work ethic and knowledge (they spend a lot more time in the lab during training) but I can't hire them because of some sort of well planned discrimination. After 5 years of experience the 2 are about the same but all the MT's want to be chief techs or they want to go into business. They don't want to do bench work because someone inflated their ego's and made them feel like their better than that. All the new MT's don't want to work they just want a big paycheck and take their mandatory breaks. I guess I'm too old for today's new workers and this includes techs from other countries. They, at least, used to have a good work ethic. Just sit on your cert and believe what you want to OK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

74 months ago

To give you an idea with the rest of the allied health fields, pharmacists in CA start at $56 also, which seems to be in line with the rest of the country. I'm not sure how much RNs get paid throughout the country but in CA they start at around $30. If you specialize you can get up to $40. This basically means that CLSs have the same pay as RNs here.

LVNs start around $19 to $20 but they mostly work in nursing homes and not as much in hospitals. Lab technicians here or "MLTs" who don't have the associates and don't release results start at $14 to $18. This is about the same as phlebotomists. CA doesn't have MLTs that release results and I hope it stays like that, because this is why are pay is good.

You have your rad techs starting at $27, respiratory therapists about the same at $27, pharmacy technicians start at $14, ultrasound techs at $29, etc. So all in all, I'd say the pay for CLSs is decent, comparable if not surpassing RNs in some instances.

Experienced CLSs with 20 years of experience get $42 an hour in my lab. In other labs I've heard of CLSs with that experience plus the pm or night shift differential getting $50 an hour.

One thing I have noticed is that hospitals with unions for the CLSs or with unions even for the technicians push the salaries of CLSs up. This is because unions help increase pay but also, if technicans have unions, management may want to increase CLS salaries on par with technicians to prevent the CLSs from forming unions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CLSintern in Fresno, California

74 months ago

How can an MLT have more knowledge than an MT? In order to be an MT, you need a bachelors degree in science, have taken some specialized courses such as medical microbiology, immunology, etc and then go thru a year of intensive training at a hospital lab (sometimes enrolled as a graduate student). MLT's take science courses at a community college and get an associates degree then train for about 6 months at a hospital. Work ethics vary from person to person and you cant slam all the MT's because you happened to hire a few rotten ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

AMEN

74 months ago

Yes, clearly doesen't make sense what some people are saying here. Honestly, your only shaming this career further by praising MLT with having more knowledge ability than MT's. Are you saying we are just ripped off from our education then?

Lisa in Greenwich, Connecticut

74 months ago

She is probably a MLT, I take what people say on here with a grain of salt. We know the reality. ASCP is the gold standard, you can get a job anywhere with that certification. Most if not all department supervisors have their BS MT ASCP, those are the facts, and what anyone else says is out of jealously.

Ralph in Richardson, Texas

74 months ago

To all the frustrated MT's please stay out of IT. There are too many qualified IT people that need jobs and MT's haven't got a clue. Who came up with this MT to IT thing anyway? If you want to pursue a new career at least take a networking or program course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rus in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

74 months ago

CLSintern in Fresno, California said: How can an MLT have more knowledge than an MT? In order to be an MT, you need a bachelors degree in science, have taken some specialized courses such as medical microbiology, immunology, etc and then go thru a year of intensive training at a hospital lab (sometimes enrolled as a graduate student). MLT's take science courses at a community college and get an associates degree then train for about 6 months at a hospital. Work ethics vary from person to person and you cant slam all the MT's because you happened to hire a few rotten ones.

As an MLT student, I can tell you that your evaluation of our education is way off. We also have to take clinical micro, immunology, hematology, urinalysis, immunohematology, analytical chemistry, etc... We have to do roughly a year of clinicals in a hospital. We don't have to fulfill the 120-hour obligation of a BS degree. And after a bit of research, I will admit that your program is probably a little more intensive than mine. But does that give any of you the right to look down on me for my paltry AS degree? I personally don't think so.

I will, however, agree that work ethics differ from person to person. I won't say that MTs have any more or less of a work ethic. I would say that I have know good and bad MTs and good and bad MLTs. I would not say that either is better than the other in the real-world clinical lab. You have slackers and you have people that give a crap. THAT is the big difference, not necessarily the degree involved.

I will tell you that my wife (and MLT for the last 4 years) knows more about the theory and practice of microbiology in the lab than many of her 30-year-experienced colleagues. Again, it is a matter of who gives a crap, not who spent two more years in college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.