master program in southern california

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

minion in Alhambra, California

20 months ago

Hi, all,

I just graduated from a CLS program last Sep and is already working. I am interested in obtaining a master degree to build up my resume for future managerial position. Which master program will be a good fit?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

20 months ago

I would say an MBA in healthcare administration is the best. However, it's not necessary to become a lab manager. It would help for sure, but with supervisor experience you can get it without a masters. To become a director, then that's when it will probably be necessary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Thank you! Cls48! Doesn't director requires MD degree?

CLS48 in California

20 months ago

The medical director does, but every lab usually has an administrative lab director which is just a CLS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

What is the difference between a director and a manager? I thought they have similar job description just with different titles

CLS48 in California

20 months ago

They do. For whatever reason, some labs just have a director and some labs just have a manager. If the lab is really big, a manager will be under the director. In LA there's so many labs and a shortage of CLSs, that I know a director at a small hospital lab who doesn't even have a masters. It would help though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

New York Mets in new york, New York

20 months ago

minion in Alhambra, California said: What is the difference between a director and a manager? I thought they have similar job description just with different titles

A medical director is required because a M.D is generally required to know the 'science' behind the tests that a lab performs. There's been a huge topic on whether or not a CLS with a future CLS PHD can actually lead a lab but I generally believe not. I'm very supportive of our field, but I still believe a CLS PHD(currently CLS PHD have a one year 'rotation') can not replace a physician's experience.(on the floors,medical school education, their residency experience)(Most medical directors are pathologists)The medical director can decide on what tests can be run based on need and confers with other doctors in the hospital.

However, a laboratory 'manager' or 'director' is also needed to manage the finanical aspects, staffing, adminstrative, and many more functions of the lab. He/she is very critical also, and works very closely with the medical director to operate the lab. The laboratory manager confers to a department head to run population/reference ranges/etc if a new test is implemented and runs validation studies which then the laboratory manager gives the final stamp of approval. The laboratory manager is most likely a previous CLS who went for a MPH, or another masters degree in public health,etc. Very few actually have Masters of CLS, hence it is probably more beneficial to get a MPH degree.(or healthcare administration like CLS48, there are MBA programs out there, and MBA looks better) However, the most critical element of a laboratory manager's job is the 'finances'. With ObamaCare coming into full force in 2014, this will make his/her job even more challenging. Now Congress also wants to lower lab test reimbursements for Medicare(changing the $$ for CPT codes), a huge topic discussed with ASCP. ASCP promises to devote resources to prevent that from happening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.