How much do entry-level Clinical/Medical Laboratory Technologists make in New York?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 51)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Jimmy Neutron in New York, New York

24 months ago

Alen in Jamaica, New York said: I am making $28.50 an hour with 10% differential in evenings. After taxes I am taking home around $844 every week. My hospital also has a union so medical benefits and vacations are all there. Great starting salary for a new graduate in this tough economy. I have been working since last November under a permit and just passed my ASCP recently.

I saw in your past post, you mentioned you worked at NYP. Here is the thing NYP Columbia doesn't pay no where near $28.50 but gives you 1199 union. NYP Cornell pays $28.50 but DOES NOT HAVE A UNION, they don't even offer retirement 403b or medical benefits. So you are obviously lying. You can't be making what Cornell offers but also have the union pay.

(Take a guess at why I know this much)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

KizzyAspiringCLS in Brooklyn, New York

24 months ago

Jimmy, how much do you make exactly?

And, honestly, I think you're a bit ridiculousd. His rate sounds about right.

I have spoken to friends who work in hr for hospitals and they say starting salary ids $50_$55K as fresh graduates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy Neutron in New York, New York

24 months ago

If you think it's ridiculous, then get your own job. You'll find out the hard way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

njbiodude in New Jersey

24 months ago

Many hospitals have you overlap with the next shift and you get 8 hour days.

I think he works at NY Presbyterian. Is it any wonder they ALWAYS have shifts open?

I know University hospital in Newark NJ pays low-mid 20s/hr for 8 hour shifts. On the west coast most union hospitals actually do start people off at $35+/hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

KizzyAspiringCLS in Brooklyn, New York

24 months ago

And it's all about perception. Graduating from college making $23 ~ $28 an hour full time with health insurance is decent. So, you may say the salary ids bad, but in my eyes that's fair for a new graduate.
Thou never answered how much you make Jimmy. How much do you make exactly?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

KizzyAspiringCLS in Brooklyn, New York

24 months ago

If you're not an MT, don't respond to this post please. I just want to hear people's salary, not emotional rants.
Salaries please, tis all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

KizzyAspiringCLS in Brooklyn, New York

24 months ago

njbiodude in New Jersey said: Many hospitals have you overlap with the next shift and you get 8 hour days.

I think he works at NY Presbyterian. Is it any wonder they ALWAYS have shifts open?

I know University hospital in Newark NJ pays low-mid 20s/hr for 8 hour shifts. On the west coast most union hospitals actually do start people off at $35+/hr.

Why are you staying estimates? How much do you make?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

njbiodude in New Jersey

24 months ago

KizzyAspiringCLS in Brooklyn, New York said: Why are you staying estimates? How much do you make?

Just finishing up this year. Here's what I know. One of my instructors 5 years ago got 22/hr (with healthcare I believe) in Englewood NJ, where your income tax and COLA is much lower than NYC. I also think it was a 40 hour a week job w' bennies, and the rates have gone up in 5 years. Another previous classmate no works at MSK, not sure what he makes, but he's happy and lives in Brooklyn, takes the train, certainly not starving. Another doctor said new lab people in Newark, NJ (again lower taxes) get mid-20s/hr.

I have relatives that live in CA, and might move out there when I'm done. Stricter standards are in place, the weather is nicer, and the pay is better, even adjusted for COL. Most hospitals around San Francisco CA pay entry level $30-40/hr (i.e. check the websites of the bay area hospitals). Kaiser in the area pays $35/hr base pay (publicly available union charts). NYC isn't as good as you would expect.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. But everyone else I knew was getting 40 hour weeks as well; I don't know how New York Presbyterian works but I know they have a lot of positions open constantly. Wonder why? Columbia is ****ing dangerous

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy Neutron in New York, New York

24 months ago

KizzyAspiringCLS in Brooklyn, New York said: Jimmy, how much do you make exactly?

And, honestly, I think you're a bit ridiculousd. His rate sounds about right.

I have spoken to friends who work in hr for hospitals and they say starting salary ids $50_$55K as fresh graduates.

Why don't you tell me what their names are, what hospital they're at and what they are making EXACTLY? You don't think you're being agressively rude and intrusive??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas

24 months ago

njbiodude in New Jersey said: Just finishing up this year. Here's what I know. One of my instructors 5 years ago got 22/ hr (with healthcare I believe) in Englewood NJ, where your income tax and COLA is much lower than NYC. I also think it was a 40 hour a week job w' bennies, and the rates have gone up in 5 years. Another previous classmate no works at MSK, not sure what he makes, but he's happy and lives in Brooklyn, takes the train, certainly not starving. Another doctor said new lab people in Newark, NJ (again lower taxes) get mid-20s/hr.

I have relatives that live in CA, and might move out there when I'm done. Stricter standards are in place, the weather is nicer, and the pay is better, even adjusted for COL. Most hospitals around San Francisco CA pay entry level $30-40/hr (i.e. check the websites of the bay area hospitals). Kaiser in the area pays $35/hr base pay (publicly available union charts). NYC isn't as good as you would expect.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. But everyone else I knew was getting 40 hour weeks as well; I don't know how New York Presbyterian works but I know they have a lot of positions open constantly. Wonder why? Columbia is ****ing dangerous

Hey njbiodude, I remember you from a post about getting the CA CLS license if you're out of state. If you don't mind, I'd like to talk to you about that. Please e-mail me at comradenu@gmail.com I would really really appreciate it :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

njbiodude in New Jersey

23 months ago

ak165 in New York, New York said: Would it be more wise to get a masters in chemistry? What kind of job can one get with a masters in chemistry and are they plentiful?

Ignoring the last poster, are you a CLS already or not? If you are it probably wouldn't help very much. If you want to move up into management from CLS you would benefit most from a business degree (MBA/MHA etc). Also CLS is a great jumpoff point to physician or physician assistant studies.

A masters in chemistry will typically get you a job (maybe but with all the layoffs who knows) in a pharmaceutical or chemical research lab. Not sure about the pay with a masters, but the industry is very location specific.

Now onto Kizzy
THERE IS A PREVIOUS THREAD ABOUT THIS! WHY NOT ADD TO THE ORIGINAL WITH PAGES OF RELEVANT INFO RATHER THAN A NEW ONE

www.indeed.com/forum/job/medical-technologist/Salary-New-York-City-Technologists/t238664

If you're still irked by the pay in the city consider another region like California, Michigan, Oregon, Alaska where you will get more bang for your buck. The pay in NJ/NY for CLS doesn't seem to gel all that well with the overall housing prices and cost of living (shrugs).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alen in Flushing, New York

23 months ago

I'm lying? ok. Presby starts out new grads at 25.15 + 10 % differential for evening and nights + 1 year working experience another 0.05%= do your math. We also work 37.5 hours a week not 35. Go somewhere else to troll jimmy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

23 months ago

KizzyAspiringCLS in Brooklyn, New York said: Jimmy, how much do you make exactly?

And, honestly, I think you're a bit ridiculousd. His rate sounds about right.

I have spoken to friends who work in hr for hospitals and they say starting salary ids $50_$55K as fresh graduates.

It doesn't matter how much you start out with, you may get overtime hours and if you work for years and years.. it will increase.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rajesh in San Antonio, Texas

22 months ago

I work in San Antonio, Texas.
I am a recent graduate earning $21.8 per hour working 40 hrs a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Call me Adam in New York, New York

22 months ago

Alen in Flushing, New York said: I'm lying? ok. Presby starts out new grads at 25.15 + 10 % differential for evening and nights + 1 year working experience another 0.05%= do your math. We also work 37.5 hours a week not 35. Go somewhere else to troll jimmy.

You work in Hematology right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ak165 in New York, New York

22 months ago

I'm trying to decide if I should go back to school or not. I make around $25/hour in another lab and would have to attend school for a year in order to gain my ascp. I work in the fragrance industry and its the same thing day in day out. I wanted my certification so I would have the option of working at a hospital. Not sure if the MLT industry is growing or is something to run from

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

njbiodude in New Jersey

22 months ago

Ak165 in New York, New York said: I'm trying to decide if I should go back to school or not. I make around $25/hour in another lab and would have to attend school for a year in order to gain my ascp. I work in the fragrance industry and its the same thing day in day out. I wanted my certification so I would have the option of working at a hospital. Not sure if the MLT industry is growing or is something to run from

You could still end up doing the same thing day in and day out with a CLS degree. Of course, you do get the benefit of increased job stability etc.

I think most new CLS grads in NYC make $25-28 hr at the hospitals so that would be a financial loss for you. You may want to look into pathologist assistant programs if you want to still work in a lab and increase pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ak165 in New York, New York

22 months ago

njbiodude in New Jersey said: You could still end up doing the same thing day in and day out with a CLS degree. Of course, you do get the benefit of increased job stability etc.

I think most new CLS grads in NYC make $25-28 hr at the hospitals so that would be a financial loss for you. You may want to look into pathologist assistant programs if you want to still work in a lab and increase pay.

Would you mind telling me about how much one could go up to in let's say 3 years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KizzyAspiringCLS in Brooklyn, New York

22 months ago

I don't understand how the people on these forums can gradaute with advance degrees in biology, chemistry or physics and yet still fail to follow seemingly simple directions.

I WANT TO KNOW THE SALARIES. IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION, START ANOTHER FORUM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy Neutron in New York, New York

22 months ago

KizzyAspiringCLS in Brooklyn, New York said: I don't understand how the people on these forums can gradaute with advance degrees in biology, chemistry or physics and yet still fail to follow seemingly simple directions.

I WANT TO KNOW THE SALARIES. IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION, START ANOTHER FORUM.

I wonder why no one is jumping to tell you their salary. You are rude and pathetic. I gross 90k a year. Please do not find which hospital I'm at. I do not want you to work near me. Go become a doctor since it's more than obvious MONEY all your only concern. Are you too stupid to go to med school? Let me be the first to state this to you clearly, there is no money in this field. Go troll on another career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

njbiodude in New Jersey

22 months ago

Jimmy Neutron in New York, New York said: I wonder why no one is jumping to tell you their salary. You are rude and pathetic. I gross 90k a year. Please do not find which hospital I'm at. I do not want you to work near me. Go become a doctor since it's more than obvious MONEY all your only concern. Are you too stupid to go to med school? Let me be the first to state this to you clearly, there is no money in this field. Go troll on another career.

I take it you're not doing this job because you enjoy science correct?

Go into finance where your obsession with money won't kill anyone...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lost in Manorville, New York

22 months ago

I understand it is not just a matter of loving the profession and the science behind it, but the ability not to just survive while working in one's chosen profession. It is smart to inquire about all aspects of this profession especially considering the amount of study the Med Tech BS degree demands. See if some of these sarcastic idiots spent more cells pushing to increase the salaries MT's deserve instead of spewing hateful statements, they may be at the comparable level of RN(Bachelors). No the pay is not great and the environment is not the most conducive to high productivity but whose to say that cannot change. The Mts I know who have been in the field 20 years are at about $28-29 and hour. Pathetic considering the average phlebotomist makes $15-18. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ak165 in New York, New York

22 months ago

I'm shocked no one has put together a website discussing how low paying the job is. Why not put ups website/FB page scheduling a national boycott day? Yea u might be out of workforce a day or two but a MLT has more difficult classes than RNs but get paid less? Should be same if not more than RNs. Do you even know how much profit hospitals make? Even the not for profit ones. The ceo's are probably laughing at the MLTs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

New York Mets in new york, New York

22 months ago

njbiodude in New Jersey said: You \... You may want to look into pathologist assistant programs if you want to still work in a lab and increase pay.

Unfortunately, pathologist assistants in NY are not recognized(there's no actual license for it) hence you make just a tad more than a med tech. Currently, there's a petition in Albany to recongize it as a distinctive entity from med tech. Current pathologist assistant jobs require a med tech license and experience in histology.(hence, having a HT license helps, or grandfathered). Many pathologist assistants are complaining because physician assistants are recognized but not pathologist assistants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

New York Mets in new york, New York

22 months ago

Ak165 in New York, New York said: I'm shocked no one has put together a website discussing how low paying the job is. Why not put ups website/FB page scheduling a national boycott day? Yea u might be out of workforce a day or two but a MLT has more difficult classes than RNs but get paid less? Should be same if not more than RNs. Do you even know how much profit hospitals make? Even the not for profit ones. The ceo's are probably laughing at the MLTs

Like any normal person, I too wish for more money. However, nurses are direct patient caregivers and usually contend with more. *Some nurses are lucky to work in better units with the same pay. Many areas lack CNAs so the nurses themselves have to pick up poop, etc., etc.

Just want to let you know, that MLTs are two years(similar to LPN) while MTs are 4 years(similar to RN). The Hunter college post bac certificate awards the "4 year" MT license, pending on passing ASCP NY exam.

Hospital profits are quite minimal compared to Wall Street, and being a hospital adminstrator is always a stressful one. Ever changing health care laws, and the inconsistent and varying payments for treatment of patients make the job a very challenging one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hamfree in Chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

I've completed the first 2 years of an accredited MLS program in Chicago. I'm about to start my junior year, and I'm looking for a little insight on what to expect from the classes and the clinical rotation. I'm a 31 year old military veteran, so I'm not really looking for advice that would apply to a 20 year old college student. I would prefer to hear some of your actual experiences from your last 2 years of school, and also your first work experiences after graduation. Any useful information would be very helpful. Thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

njbiodude in New Jersey

20 months ago

K.Archer in Brooklyn, New York said: I am interested in finding out how much i could expect to make as a Lab Tech if I graduate with a Bachelors in Medical Technology, and get certified by the ASCP.

46k-56k a year base salary, with overtime, per diem and differentials not included. Most hospitals pay 35-37.5 hrs a week. It's a good entry level salary but salaries top out at 58-68k for bench techs with 20+yrs experience in this area (again OT/differentials not included).

(*I have an accurate source I'm not disclosing here)

A good base degree if you're going to pharm/dental/medical/pa school or getting an MBA and going to work at a consulting company in healthcare, insurance etc. Also consider government positions which promote based on seniority and can end up paying 70k+

California pays way more. Most western states i.e. NV, OR, WA, AZ often pay close to or as well as NYC and you don't get taxed to death. NYC has over 20% of the population in poverty and is almost 50% foreign and is arguably the city with the largest income disparity in the USA. If you're not an investment banker/corporate law bigshot get out and go work somewhere else where your money will go further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jason madonhue in brooklyn new york, New York

20 months ago

NYP pays about 26 dollars an hour with a 35hr work week that comes to about 47,000 a year and when u consider tax your some where in the low 40's.
Its said do be the best paying hospital in the city, Its somewhat discouraging considering the amount of schooling we have to go through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

KizzyAspiringCLS in Brooklyn, New York

20 months ago

jason madonhue in brooklyn new york, New York said: NYP pays about 26 dollars an hour with a 35hr work week that comes to about 47,000 a year and when u consider tax your some where in the low 40's.
Its said do be the best paying hospital in the city, Its somewhat discouraging considering the amount of schooling we have to go through.

It is a typical bachelor degree we have to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

qubic17 in Gainesville, Florida

20 months ago

Do you work there Jason? What is the best paying lab in the NYC area and what kind of salary should one expect to make in general?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

njbiodude in New Jersey

20 months ago

jason madonhue in brooklyn new york, New York said: NYP pays about 26 dollars an hour with a 35hr work week that comes to about 47,000 a year and when u consider tax your some where in the low 40's.
Its said do be the best paying hospital in the city, Its somewhat discouraging considering the amount of schooling we have to go through.

It's not* the best paying hospital in the city. In fact its one of the lowest 1199 hospitals (and I have a friend that works in a non-union hospital and makes more than most of the union people.

I also know at least one hospital in NJ paying ~$25/hr entry level doing blood bank. Taxes are a lot lower, and as far as I know its a 40 hr week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

qubic17 in Gainesville, Florida

20 months ago

So what are some of the best paying hospitals in the NYC area, specifically with blood bank?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

njbiodude in New Jersey

20 months ago

qubic17 in Gainesville, Florida said: So what are some of the best paying hospitals in the NYC area, specifically with blood bank ?

There are too many hospitals in NYC to name here, but many union charts are available. Also keep in mind several large non-union hospitals actually pay more, or at the very least have much better salary increases. I do encourage you not to only consider Manhattan though (hint hint!). The current going rate in NYC is 23-29 hour roughly, but most hospitals only pay a 35-37.5 hr week. Honestly, given the obscene cost of living here and sky high 7% flat state tax in addition to the city tax income tax and high property taxes, I'd encourage you to stay in FL. NYC has a VERY CORRUPT local government; just recently it was in the news several people were pulling pensions of 150-200k retiring at 55 working for the MTA/Port Authority. Why the hell else do you think the GWB tolls are $13.00 (were 8 a few years ago btw). Local corrupt police departments, greedy unions that take everyone's dues for their own huge paychecks etc make this NYC all but unaffordable for anyone who isn't making 100k+.

The good news is in September EVERYONE has to be ASCP certified by law. This should help out salaries a little bit.

Blood bank also pays an extra dollar or so an hour in some hospitals. For example NYP pays ~26/hr for most departments other than BB which gets an extra dollar or two.

The problem isn't the starting salaries which are pretty decent for new graduates actually. The problem is the pay increases barely pass inflation. For example a 20 yr tech who started at 50k will in 20 years be earning 58-65k. Some work OT/per diem, but if you have a family its hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

medlabtalk in Fair Lawn, New Jersey

19 months ago

NYP has multiple hospitals, uptown Colombia is a union, downtown Cornel is not and other branches. People are right about the pay. People always miss a point of entry level pay. Never pick the best pay, but the best hospital.(usually that's the best pay). If you work in one of NYC hospitals,you will see every kind of case there is. It is like your reading it from the textbook. The experience you gain is PRICELESS. Invest in a NYC hospital for couple of years, take that experience, and put New York Presbyterian, NYU Langone medical, or any branded hospital in the nation John Hopkins, Boston Mass, right on your resume. These hospitals become branded because they are the best all around. Pick a hospital of choice and be guaranteed a position and more $$ or at least matched from what you were getting paid ;-) (hopefully). Do not think it will be a lot, we still are Medical Technologist. Overall our pay in not that great. Build your entry level with experience.

medlabtalk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

medlabtalk in Fair Lawn, New Jersey

19 months ago

*THEN* Pick a hospital of choice and be guaranteed a position and more $$ or at least matched from what you were getting paid ;-) (hopefully).

Sorry for the error.

medlabtalk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

18 months ago

medlabtalk in Fair Lawn, New Jersey said: NYP has multiple hospitals, uptown Colombia is a union, downtown Cornel is not and other branches. People are right about the pay. People always miss a point of entry level pay. Never pick the best pay, but the best hospital .(usually that's the best pay). If you work in one of NYC hospitals,you will see every kind of case there is. It is like your reading it from the textbook. The experience you gain is PRICELESS. Invest in a NYC hospital for couple of years, take that experience, and put New York Presbyterian, NYU Langone medical, or any branded hospital in the nation John Hopkins, Boston Mass, right on your resume. These hospitals become branded because they are the best all around. Pick a hospital of choice and be guaranteed a position and more $$ or at least matched from what you were getting paid ;-) (hopefully). Do not think it will be a lot, we still are Medical Technologist. Overall our pay in not that great. Build your entry level with experience.

medlabtalk

What do you mean your pay is not great? don't you get alot of overtime, is there a shortage in nyc?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

labtech in Boston, Massachusetts

18 months ago

I just took a job at NYP. I have 2 years experience as a generalist. They offered me 27/hr at 35 hr weeks plus a 5,000 sign on bonus for relocating. I worked in a smaller boston hospital and make 24/hr at 40 hr weeks. they are pretty comparable. But experience is key. I would have thought NYC hospitals would offer more because of the cost of living, but again 2 years experience is not that much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

qubic17 in Gainesville, Florida

18 months ago

How long did it take labtech between when you got your initial phone interview with HR to being contacted for an official interview? What department are you going into?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

carl in Elmhurst, New York

18 months ago

Alen in Jamaica, New York said: I am making $28.50 an hour with 10% differential in evenings. After taxes I am taking home around $844 every week. My hospital also has a union so medical benefits and vacations are all there. Great starting salary for a new graduate in this tough economy. I have been working since last November under a permit and just passed my ASCP recently.

Hi alen, I would like to ask what laboratory is that in Jamaica. I would like to apply there so that I could pass my application for the temporary license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MLSgrad

17 months ago

I recently graduated as a MLT to a MLS. As an MLT wage in western new york/buffalo for catholic health or kaleida was 20-21$ as an MLS it is 26-27 base with 27-28 for second shift. Although I wish I got paid more for all that school and hard work, I'm making more than any of my friends are that have bachelor degrees and benefits and pension. Kaleida and catholic health max out at 37-38 an hour after 20 years. Best is to be a supervisor and work per diem if you want 100k+ salary. I've found out that is possible in this area. Hospitals like roswell park are great but employees start at 21.60, in exchange they get a better pension than any of the other hospitals in the area and better benefits like free dental... The degree is hard work, but for someone in their low 20s, it feels good to be making what I make.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

LabTechnologist in Bellerose, New York

17 months ago

Hey these posts are pretty silly and very inaccurate for the going rate for a CLS in NYC with ASCP certification. Most the people I know make 32-36/hr BASE for 37.5 hour work week. And they gross over 62-70K BASE...tack on evening/night differential/occasional weekend and OT..you should easily make 80K gross after 2-3 years experience. If you aren't making close to these numbers you are doing something wrong, not working hard enough or not working at the right place. Sure with out selling yourself at interviews and negotiating a better rate, you'll probably end up with $28/hr. But this should be the bottom threshold, you shouldn't accept something lower in NYC. Also don't think that working a part time or perdiem on top of a full time gig is beneath you (coming up with the same lame excuse you want more time for friends and family and should find another career with better pay)---Guess what, those better paying careers are typically salaried and you'll be working 60 hours to 70hrs or more per week...I have friends who are lawyers, accountants, in finance and they get paid more but work these crazy hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

LabTechnologist in Bellerose, New York

17 months ago

If I worked 70 hours (say 1 full and another part time job) I would easily be making 130K per year. These kind of hours is the norm for salaried positions in Law/finance/medicine. It's all perspective. You get paid for how much you are willing to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

New York Mets in new york, New York

17 months ago

LabTechnologist in Bellerose, New York said: Hey these posts are pretty silly and very inaccurate for the going rate for a CLS in NYC with ASCP certification. Most the people I know make 32-36/hr BASE for 37.5 hour work week. And they gross over 62-70K BASE...tack on evening/night differential/occasional weekend and OT..you should easily make 80K gross after 2-3 years experience. If you aren't making close to these numbers you are doing something wrong, not working hard enough or not working at the right place. Sure with out selling yourself at interviews and negotiating a better rate, you'll probably end up with $28/hr. But this should be the bottom threshold, you shouldn't accept something lower in NYC. Also don't think that working a part time or perdiem on top of a full time gig is beneath you (coming up with the same lame excuse you want more time for friends and family and should find another career with better pay)---Guess what, those better paying careers are typically salaried and you'll be working 60 hours to 70hrs or more per week...I have friends who are lawyers, accountants, in finance and they get paid more but work these crazy hours.

I'm curious which NYC(5 boroughs)hospital starts off at a near 70k for new grads with near non-existent negotiating leverage. The only thing you can sell is your character and perhaps good references from important non-MT related past jobs(previously a manager at a retail store or etc.)

But I concur with everything else you said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LabTechnologist in Bellerose, New York

16 months ago

Yes leverage is key. The best leverage is to already be working as an MT while looking for another job (you aren't hurting for another job right away and can be more bold in your demands). I've heard Memorial Sloan Kettering pays the best. North Shore LIJ is not bad either. I've also heard NY Presbyterian pays decent, but it doesn't seem to be getting much love from this forum. As for best paying boroughs I'm not really sure (maybe undesirable locations like parts of the Bronx?). I guess your best bet for a new grad with out much negotiating leverage is working evening or nights to get that differential that should push you up close to 65K then with occasional OT you should be at 70K.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

New York Mets in new york, New York

16 months ago

LabTechnologist in Bellerose, New York said: Yes leverage is key. The best leverage is to already be working as an MT while looking for another job (you aren't hurting for another job right away and can be more bold in your demands). I've heard Memorial Sloan Kettering pays the best. North Shore LIJ is not bad either. I've also heard NY Presbyterian pays decent, but it doesn't seem to be getting much love from this forum. As for best paying boroughs I'm not really sure (maybe undesirable locations like parts of the Bronx?). I guess your best bet for a new grad with out much negotiating leverage is working evening or nights to get that differential that should push you up close to 65K then with occasional OT you should be at 70K.

yup, Memorial Sloan looks over your college transcript for new graduates and their pay for a generalist is the highest in the metro area. North Shore LIJ is in par with the rest of the city. NYP Cornell per diems get paid very handsomely.(non-union structure there)But you are right that, sacrifices have to be made to make more money. (Taking two jobs,etc.) Or continue toward education(management roles,etc.). Although, the ladder structure in lab is quite limited, one can land a job in hospital administration. Or take a leap into corporations like Roche/Siemens/etc. Always look up, and never let anyone pull you down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in New York, New York

16 months ago

LabTechnologist in Bellerose, New York said: Hey these posts are pretty silly and very inaccurate for the going rate for a CLS in NYC with ASCP certification. Most the people I know make 32-36/ hr BASE for 37.5 hour work week. And they gross over 62-70K BASE...tack on evening /night differential/occasional weekend and OT..you should easily make 80K gross after 2-3 years experience. If you aren't making close to these numbers you are doing something wrong, not working hard enough or not working at the right place. Sure with out selling yourself at interviews and negotiating a better rate, you'll probably end up with $28/hr. But this should be the bottom threshold, you shouldn't accept something lower in NYC. Also don't think that working a part time or perdiem on top of a full time gig is beneath you (coming up with the same lame excuse you want more time for friends and family and should find another career with better pay)---Guess what, those better paying careers are typically salaried and you'll be working 60 hours to 70hrs or more per week...I have friends who are lawyers, accountants, in finance and they get paid more but work these crazy hours.

Not buying it. I know many people who've recently taken jobs (in the last year) at MSK, none of them make > 30/hour. I've seen offer letters, from family first-hand (not just taking the word of a friend) for 4 hospitals in Manhattan (including NYP Columbia, NYP Cornell, Sloan, and Lenox), for someone with 2 years experience, none of them were > 30. Attempted negotiations went no-where, all cite union restrictions on pay for x years experience, except for Cornell, which also refused to negotiate. Seriously, I have family negotiate and then walk away from many offers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MLT hopeful in New York, New York

8 months ago

njbiodude in New Jersey said: You could still end up doing the same thing day in and day out with a CLS degree. Of course, you do get the benefit of increased job stability etc.

I think most new CLS grads in NYC make $25-28 hr at the hospitals so that would be a financial loss for you. You may want to look into pathologist assistant programs if you want to still work in a lab and increase pay.

Do you kn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MLT hopeful in New York, New York

8 months ago

njbiodude in New Jersey said: You could still end up doing the same thing day in and day out with a CLS degree. Of course, you do get the benefit of increased job stability etc.

I think most new CLS grads in NYC make $25-28 hr at the hospitals so that would be a financial loss for you. You may want to look into pathologist assistant programs if you want to still work in a lab and increase pay.

Do you know of any pathologist assistant programs in nyc? And what their starting pay is? I never heard f it is it a new field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MLT hopeful in New York, New York

8 months ago

New York Mets in new york, New York said: yup, Memorial Sloan looks over your college transcript for new graduates and their pay for a generalist is the highest in the metro area. North Shore LIJ is in par with the rest of the city . NYP Cornell per diems get paid very handsomely.(non-union structure there)But you are right that, sacrifices have to be made to make more money. (Taking two jobs,etc.) Or continue toward education (management roles,etc.). Although, the ladder structure in lab is quite limited, one can land a job in hospital administration . Or take a leap into corporations like Roche/Siemens/etc. Always look up, and never let anyone pull you down.

Where is Roche/sienemens? I tried looking it up and found it in IN not NY, are there different locations? Also after let's say 5 years as a MLT how much can one earn? Is management possible or is everyone backstabbing each other for that one position and roughly how many years does it take to become one?
By the way what is a technologist lead? I saw some job postings with no salary info and I have no clue exactly what this "lead " means?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Not getting any younger in New York, New York

7 months ago

does anyone know what the difference is in a program such as hunter (not accredited) and New york Methodist hospital program? Is it the same pay or different since hunter is not accredited by naacls?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.