Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Angela in Harker Heights, Texas

42 months ago

also is there age discrimination? I'm in my 30's

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CCB in Silver Spring, Maryland

33 months ago

Hi CD,
I agree with you completely. I was a nursing student and decided to withdraw after 3 weeks of clinical rotation. Nursing is not my cup of tea. Nurses are stressed out because they are being pulled to different directions. Imagine writing treatment plans for 6 pts, doctors are demanding for results from different departments (because they just can't find them by themselves), pts are buzzing you, and your techs are just as overwhelmed as you so vital signs are not done. Meanwhile you better keep up the meds schedules for your pts. OF COURSE THEY GET PAID MORE!!! My nursing classmates deserve every penny they will earn and then some!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

carri in Rockford, Illinois

27 months ago

Ken Jones in Akron, Ohio said: Bill in CA summed up clinical lab work well. I graduated in May 2008 from a 2 year program here in Ohio. I've been scouring the online posted positions in Ohio and there are not very many. I've been granted 3 interviews, which I thought went well. Unfortunately, I've heard nothing one way or the other.

At least half my class of 14 students were hired during their 3 month internships. I had no hope of being hired because my hospital was closing. Ironically, GRADES and total college credits do not matter. My grades were among the highest and I have 139 total college credits. Yet, I am the one who remains unemployed.

I am in great shape, very health conscious, don't smoke, drink and I jog and exercise every day. Thought that would matter a little to health based employers. Guess it doesn't. I am older than most students and that probably counts against me.

I was optimistic as a student, but I have now become pessimistic as my job search enters its second month.

P.S. Hospitals are strict so they require good references and a flawless background check.

Do not give up hope. There is a lot of age discrimination. however more education will help you. My father was a engineer in computers. he had a bachelors degree he worked non stop until he was 64, 6 months before he died. he had the phone ringing off the hook for jobs everyday of his life. he was old but still got lots of calls. higher education helps the older employee especially in engineering, science and math related. Bachelors degree help a lot. Can the college help where you graduated? try social sites such as facebook or twitter. networking helps some.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Freddy in Lima, Peru

26 months ago

Ben in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: ok thank GOD were not sticking all day. Rus you made a good move, this profession will definetly give ya a steady paycheck, so good luck to you.

Hello everybody.I am glad working as medical technologist. I am peruvian and I would ask you a help. I have worked in a hosiptal but I do not know what is the term for my job title....I mean I am not supervisor, in charge, or manager..I perform microbiological tests.Here in Peru we call it "asistencial". I will be grateful if you can help me. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angrywolf in Nashville, Tennessee

25 months ago

I see no one has posted here in a while.
To the Peruvian I believe you would be called a microbiologist here in the USA.
I am happy you like your job.I hate mine.Recently my boss and I had a falling out and she stabbed me in the hand with an ink pen.
I chose not to file a complaint with her boss or with HR although I could have.
As it is I am looking for another job because of her unfair treatment.

The field is a sad and sorry field to work in.I understand how people in NY, Chicago and big cities here in the US who do lots of stat blood banking and receive massive OT pay would love it but the rest of us aren't blood bankers and don't have that perk.
So we suffer often from low pay and lack of appreciation from our bosses/managers which leads to a lack of self esteem as well as financial problems/poor living due to low wages.

I tell students who I encounter who are considering the field to look elsewhere or do something else.
Medical Technology isn't worthwhile.
I regret my choice and I am too old to change careers.I couldn't afford to go back to school at my age anyway.

So that's my horror story.The boss that stabbed me in the hand isn't even the worst boss I have ever had.I have had bosses far worse.

So I hope anyone who reads this wishes me well.I need the moral support as I look for new employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Corpus Christi, Texas

24 months ago

Angela in Harker Heights, Texas said: also is there age discrimination? I'm in my 30's

Hey, I'm a recent MLT Grad from Delmar in Corpus. I don't see age discrimination, I have seen techs in their 50s and 60s. However, people discriminate but do not voice it because it is illegal.

This is how I see and have heard it down here...MLT and MT payscale is prolly the lowest here in the whole country, as well as the cost of living. I have heard the difference in pay (at a hospital) between an MLT and an MT is about $6.00/hr difference. MLTs start at about $11 or $12 /hr while MTs start at maybe $18/hr.

It looks like the hospital labs like to balance the amount of employed MLTs and MTs and when they lose an MT they want to fill the position with an MT. Forget working for a doctors office, they want Medical Assistants to pay less and they want you to do non-tech duties. Also, MLTs don't join the union it will only piss your supervisor off. Work and inquire about the online classes at the University of Ohio, where you don't have to take 4 year required core classes, you take program classes.

I have a classmate Who recently accepted a job in Dallas, I don't know where, starting at $18/hr!!! She is ASCP certified.

Yes it is hard to find a job in a city like Corpus that has a MT program and a MLT program!!! If you are able to relocate, get away from the Tech saturation, and find a job in a bigger city with less Tech graduates!!! Or do really well at your clinical rotations so they remember you, and keep in touch with the supervisor, like email her frequently.

Another route I advise, though it's hard to get hired because of availability, is work in a lab that is owned by a large clinic of multiple doctors. They do a lot of testing in house during the DAY!!!

BTW, I have heard experienced MLTs and MTs here in CC say that the 2 yr students are more knowlegeable during rotations than the 4 yr students. I'm just saying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Corpus Christi, Texas

24 months ago

Angela in Harker Heights, Texas said: also is there age discrimination? I'm in my 30's

I never thought about age discrimination, that's silly don't worry about it. Prove yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nuggets24 in New Haven, Connecticut

24 months ago

Angrywolf in Nashville, Tennessee said: I see no one has posted here in a while.
To the Peruvian I believe you would be called a microbiologist here in the USA.
I am happy you like your job.I hate mine.Recently my boss and I had a falling out and she stabbed me in the hand with an ink pen.
I chose not to file a complaint with her boss or with HR although I could have.
As it is I am looking for another job because of her unfair treatment.

The field is a sad and sorry field to work in.I understand how people in NY, Chicago and big cities here in the US who do lots of stat blood banking and receive massive OT pay would love it but the rest of us aren't blood bankers and don't have that perk.
So we suffer often from low pay and lack of appreciation from our bosses/managers which leads to a lack of self esteem as well as financial problems/poor living due to low wages.

I tell students who I encounter who are considering the field to look elsewhere or do something else.
Medical Technology isn't worthwhile.
I regret my choice and I am too old to change careers.I couldn't afford to go back to school at my age anyway.

So that's my horror story.The boss that stabbed me in the hand isn't even the worst boss I have ever had.I have had bosses far worse.

So I hope anyone who reads this wishes me well.I need the moral support as I look for new employment.

you should seriously follow up with Hr about the stabbing hand thing. that's practically a lawsuit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

cherry in Round Rock, Texas

24 months ago

Hi,

I am planning to MLT course.I am in Texas area.Can anybody give me your opinions?

1) is MLT job is ok?
2) what about the hourly wage?
3)how are the job opportunities for MLT job?
4)is MLT jobs is better or Radiology technician job is better?

I am just in confused state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amber

24 months ago

cherry in Round Rock, Texas said: Hi,

I am planning to MLT course.I am in Texas area.Can anybody give me your opinions?

1) is MLT job is ok?
2) what about the hourly wage?
3)how are the job opportunities for MLT job?
4)is MLT jobs is better or Radiology technician job is better?

I would talk to program directors of both professions and ask them what type of settings you can work in and what the cons and pros are of the settings, and whatever else you want to know. Then compare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Misha in Smyrna, Georgia

20 months ago

I love my job as a medical lab tech. I've been in this field for over 10 years working mainly in a hospital setting. The organization I work for has many clinics scattered across the state. I would love the opportunity to work in one since it would be much better hours unlike with the hospital. Upon my search for openings, I was surprised to discover these prime spots on clinic labs were being occupied with Rad techs! It seems their field has been flooded with graduates leaving very few if any job openings. They are being employed in dual roles in most clinics in my area! They are not only running CLIA waved test but also chemistry panels, CBC, and urinalysis microscopic exams on a daily basis. How is this right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

rambriz in Dallas, Texas

20 months ago

The first job I had out of MT school in a reference chemistry/hematology laboratory started me out on deep nights at $23/hr plus $2 shift diff. I worked there for 5 months and grew tired of being up all night. Ever since then, every job I had applied (hospital and reference) have low balled me at $19 and $20/hr. As much as I hated working nights, I regret leaving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

JDC90 in Charlotte, North Carolina

7 months ago

Hi I'm a current MLT student and we have to interview different MT'S / MLT'S for school . I was hoping I can get an email interview with you where I just ask a few questions and you respond back . I know this post is kind of old, but if you see this please respond back if you could ! Thank you !

This is a very skewed and pessimistic view on the medical laboratory field. I would hope anyone looking into this field was not deterred by this post. The field is by no means the most stressful in the healthcare industry. Nurses, for example, deal with quite a bit of pressure from doctors and other staff being that they are in charge of the direct care of multiple patients! I can't imagine that kind of stress and that requires amazing people skills. Don't forget that its easy to look at other careers and underestimate the work and dedication involved. The field of medical technology is a little misunderstood and salaries are not necessarily commensurate with the education involved but I think we can expect this too improve significantly in light of the growing shortage and aging workforce. And the average RN does NOT make 3 times
what the average MT makes in most areas, 1.5 times at most. Mr. Robinson, I suggest you find another line of work, this one if obviously not for you. At least find another job in an unfamilar department in a new institution.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.