EMRs get rid of need for medical transcriptionists

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Paula in West Greenwich, Rhode Island

49 months ago

I'm in the same boat. I have been an independent medical transcriptionist for 15 years. With no notice at all, I was replaced by EHR. Now, I am unemployed. Thank you President Obama! Not sure what to do now. Maybe I'll start an Ebay business of some type. Welcome any advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Southwest Brevard Cnty, Florida

49 months ago

Paula in West Greenwich, Rhode Island said: I'm in the same boat. I have been an independent medical transcriptionist for 15 years. With no notice at all, I was replaced by EHR. Now, I am unemployed. Thank you President Obama! Not sure what to do now. Maybe I'll start an Ebay business of some type. Welcome any advice.

I am in the same boat as well. I as well have been a transcriber for 15 years and am now unemployed due to EMR and have lost all of my doctors because of it. I even have a call in system that I payed for and now won't be used. If any one knows of any way to find doctors that aren't switching, It would be greatly appreciated. I looked into the bigger companies and they want shift work and weekends. I have never had to do that. This is why I work at home to have flexible hours with my family. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

49 months ago

Jennifer in Southwest Brevard Cnty, Florida said: I am in the same boat as well. I as well have been a transcriber for 15 years and am now unemployed due to EMR and have lost all of my doctors because of it. I even have a call in system that I payed for and now won't be used. If any one knows of any way to find doctors that aren't switching, It would be greatly appreciated. I looked into the bigger companies and they want shift work and weekends. I have never had to do that. This is why I work at home to have flexible hours with my family. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This field will eventually succumb to automation like typewriter repairman. Within the next few years, most medical practices will have to be EMR compliant - in case some kind of Obamacare takes place.

Sooner or later, you will have to retrain in something else. My niece is an MA and she is thinking about welding school or cosmetology. Seriously. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Brooksville, Florida

37 months ago

Evelyn, Sorry to hear about your job lost. The only thing I'm typing these days is occasional lawyer letters for the doctor I used to do dictation. I took an online test to do verbatim dictation, i.e., police interviews. I didn't do too well. There is a whole set of different rules for this type of dictation. You are to transcribe just as is with grammatical errors and all. I hated it. The tester told me to practice and try again, but I didn't. At this stage, at the age of 58, I considered myself retired. The thoughts of going back to school at this stage is very unappealing to me. My prediction for EMRs is failure in years to come and a lot of lawsuits. Time will tell. I feel worse for those young people who had/have just graduated and looking for a transcription job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kripal2008@*****.*** in Amritsar, India

22 months ago

Though I have a lot to say but take a pen and a paper and it is the beginning to a new chapter of your life. Write down what you would love to do? It will hardly take you another year to learn it and next one to apply it. Move on. This is normal. It is life. When one door shuts down, a few open up and there are things that you would love to do. Just open up and you see a world of opportunities. There are so many people on this earth and many who are as qualified as you are or may be even less, but they all don't do medical transcription, but they still live and survive and you too will. I share your pain, but don't let it be something that pulls you down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Nocturnal 1 in Queen Creek, Arizona

15 months ago

kripal, are you currently working as a transcriptionist? I assume so, since you posted here.

If you are working as a transcriptionist, I doubt you are 'sharing the pain' of those of us who have lost our long-time livelihoods, many of whom have lost their homes or are at risk of facing bankruptcy because our 'new chapters' do not meet our basic financial obligations.

If you are not working as a transcriptionist, I would like to know what you do for a living.

For others who posted here, I am sorry you also lost your jobs and that we have lost our profession due to outsourcing and offshoring.

When I was let go, I told the manager that the quality of transcription has sunk so low, errors are now allowed to remain in patients' records that could impact their care--errors I would have been fired for transcribing many years ago. I stated report quality needs to be addressed wherever the work is done, if they truly care about the best interest of the patient.

She actually had to turn away from me in her swivel chair and fiddle with some items on her desk before she could think of anything to say. Her reply was meaningless, and of course nothing will be done since the only thing that matters is getting reports done on the cheap.

Still, I felt it had to be said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

I neglected to mention 'speech recognition' technology--such as it is--though at the very least, domestic outsourcing was an issue long before this sorry software arrived on the scene.

Best of luck to all of us who have seen a great industry go down the drain. It was great while it lasted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Brooksville, Florida

15 months ago

Unfortunately, Nocturnal, the "sinking ship" has sunk. I agree with all of your comments. And yes, the quality of reports will go down or have gone down. It's all about the "almighty buck" as always. As for me, at age 60, I am retired enjoying each day as the Lord gives me. I care for my elderly mom and enjoy retirement with my husband. I am in a position that I can do that, but I do feel for those that have lost homes, filed bankruptcy, etc. It was a beautiful profession while it lasted.

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

15 months ago

Nocturnal 1 in Queen Creek, Arizona said: I neglected to mention 'speech recognition' technology--such as it is--though at the very least, domestic outsourcing was an issue long before this sorry software arrived on the scene.

Best of luck to all of us who have seen a great industry go down the drain. It was great while it lasted.

I also lost my career to automation but in a different field. Time marches on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona

15 months ago

I still see people talking about going into this field, and any other saturated field. They obviously don't read these forums, or are arrogant and think things won't affect them if they march on like a warrior.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Paula, that's great you were able to retire. I am not in that situation and I don't mind working, as long as there is work to be had that pays more than a pittance. Amazingly, I am seeing job listings with salaries that are equal to what I was making 15 years ago doing that same job (claims adjuster, which I really don't want to do again).

Wages have always lagged behind cost of living but since wages took a U-turn while COL has kept moving ahead, I feel like I'm the Twlight Zone when I read job descriptions and pay ranges.

Ruby, I am sorry you lost you career as well. If you don't mind saying, what line of work were you in, and what do you do now?

xboxer, I am flabbergasted when people ask about learning transcription. I see similar posts on one transcription board that is loaded with conversation about the dying industry--how can they not read what is right there? Or maybe as you say, they think it will be different for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

I should addend my post and state it is not all companies or all positions, but I do see a lot of retro-wages out there.

MD2727 in Orland Park, Illinois

15 months ago

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona said: I still see people talking about going into this field, and any other saturated field. They obviously don't read these forums, or are arrogant and think things won't affect them if they march on like a warrior.

I'm not sure people who are talking about going into transcription is due to arrogance, but rather that there are SO MANY schools, including mostly online schools, that are STILL offering medical transcription as a viable option for employment and telling people there are jobs available, when the field is almost totally defunct. Some people pay thousands of dollars for schooling and for books, then find out they have wasted their money. Schools offering education in defunct occupations should be fined and made to stop offering these classes. I've been a transcriptionist for over 30 years and holding on by my fingertips to one of the last jobs around, and I don't know how long that will last. I feel very sorry for those who do not realize the field is closed and are taken in by school advertisements and false promises.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MD2727 in Orland Park, Illinois

15 months ago

Also, I've had friends who wanted to work at home and wanted to do transcription, like I do. They had no idea there were "transcription forums" like this one. They said they saw lots of advertisements about how great transcription is, and even that with the new Obamacare there is an increased need for transcriptionists! If they had not asked me, they would have gotten taken in by these schools and online websites. One woman asked me too late and had already paid for a course and was unable to find a job.

15 months ago

MD2727, I am surprised to hear schools are still selling transcription; I haven't seen it advertised for several years now. I am sorry your friend lost her money.

MD2727 in Oak Forest, Illinois

15 months ago

Yes, unfortunately, there are quite a few online places offering transcription courses. If you just type in "medical transcription" you can see offerings for training and schooling for MTs. :(

Chloe in Scottsdale, Arizona

11 months ago

MD2727 in Orland Park, Illinois said: I'm not sure people who are talking about going into transcription is due to arrogance, but rather that there are SO MANY schools, including mostly online schools, that are STILL offering medical transcription as a viable option for employment and telling people there are jobs available, when the field is almost totally defunct. Some people pay thousands of dollars for schooling and for books, then find out they have wasted their money. Schools offering education in defunct occupations should be fined and made to stop offering these classes. I've been a transcriptionist for over 30 years and holding on by my fingertips to one of the last jobs around, and I don't know how long that will last. I feel very sorry for those who do not realize the field is closed and are taken in by school advertisements and false promises.

I am very thankful that I found this wonderful site with so many seasoned professionals in the medical transcriptionist field. I was very close to enrolling in one of THOSE schools that just wanted to take my money. Many thanks to all of you for this valuable information! Glad I did some more research!

transcriptionistincolumbus in Columbus, Georgia

9 months ago

Jennifer in Southwest Brevard Cnty, Florida said: I am in the same boat as well. I as well have been a transcriber for 15 years and am now unemployed due to EMR and have lost all of my doctors because of it. I even have a call in system that I payed for and now won't be used. If any one knows of any way to find doctors that aren't switching, It would be greatly appreciated. I looked into the bigger companies and they want shift work and weekends. I have never had to do that. This is why I work at home to have flexible hours with my family. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for Medical transcription work is a waste of time and frustrating. 90% of the doctors have already gone to EMR/dragon and those who haven't are about to retire. If you are lucky to find another transcription job how can you depend on the income when "the word is out how much faster/money you can save using EMR" (younger doctors are being trained to use EMR). I have never worked for a transcription service, but reviews by other transcriptionists complain the pay is lousy. Unfortunately, you will have to find another profession or work for peanuts.
P.S. If you look around you this is happening to everyone (factory works were first - even though I didn't take notice). Any job that can be performed by a machine has taken the jobs of people (example: operators, airport attendees who use to take your calls, money/debit cards have just about been replaced by machines). Good luck!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.