Finding Entry Level Medical Transcription Jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 4264)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

sarah p in chappell, Nebraska

92 months ago

Hi Cassandra-I'm a recent Medical Transcription Graduate and am having no luck in obtaining a job, also. I've been on the search for about 3 months now, and have only had a few replies to all of the many applications I've filled out. I'm getting very impatient and discouraged. It seems everyone wants someone with 2 or more years experience to do the job, well if we don't have experience are we ever going to get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (463) / No (66) Reply - Report abuse

Linda Valencis in Southington, Connecticut

92 months ago

I currently work from home for Spheris as a medical transcriptionist. The first 2-3 years were wonderful. Commute was from bedroom to desk. No special wardrobe, no makeup, hair appts needed. All the equipment, PC, etc. was provided by employer. I just needed == and I would highly recommend -- cable connection for PC use. Get paid by the numbers of line transcribed, which is usually around 10 cents a line, and that is "good." I get paid every other week, direct deposit. We accrue PTO (paid time off)which can be used for holidays, sick time, vacations, appointments, mental-health time off, anything. And it does add up pretty fast. The only two paid vacations each year are Thanksgiving and Christmas. We get more $$ by taking on harder (MORE ESL dictator accounts)accounts or working night shifts.

Right now, I am very disillusioned with the work. There is a flood of ESL (English-second language) doctors and it is severely affecting my production, i.e., my pay check.

We are able to email coworkers for help and samples of difficult dictators, and in doing so, I have become friendly with other MTs across the country. Quite of few of them have left and gone to other companies. One in particular really went from the frying pan into the fire to MedQuest.

Be careful. There is NOT a lot of money to be made in this field. I did work as a remote MT for a local hospital, but had to go into the hospital for monthly meetings which were agonizing because they were "corporate" type meetings and had nothing to do with MT BUT we were pulled into doing BS corporate stuff like coming up with ideas on how to improve something in the hospital that really had nothing to do with our work at all. All of us "remotes" hated that. We also had to go in once a month for MT meetings which did make sense. But, again, not really productive.

None of that at Spheris, and that is something I really like about them. Have run out of space in this comment box.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (193) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Sue L in Grand Island, Nebraska

91 months ago

Mary,
Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I invested to much in this to give up. I will look into joining a AAMT group.
Sue

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Grand Island, Nebraska

91 months ago

I would love the opportunity Brooke. I live in Nebraska and graduated from At-Home professions based in Colorado. Please let me know what other information you need.
Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Dianna Lazan in Los Angeles, California

91 months ago

TransAm is a reported rip off that makes you spend money on their equipment. They have been reported on in several scam articles as well as MTStars.com. Best bet is to join the local AAMT and network. There has been a drastic change in the MT world. Where once you could actually make money (I was making over $90,000 a year), now it is all on software platforms working for large services with no scrupples, and you spend a great deal of time dinking around on the platforms. I have $2200 a month in business costs plus over $4000 a month in medical expenses from work injuries, and my salary is nowhere close to the first or the latter anymore.

Mary in Los Angeles, California said: Hi Sue:

Have you tried to join a local AAMT group in your area so you can network with other medical transcriptionists? This is your best bet. It is hard to get work initially in this field without having contacts. Also, when I first started in the field, I too wanted to work at home but soon realized that I needed experience and especially needed to know a lot more than just what I learned when I came out of school.

Now that said, I just did a Google search on "medical transcriptionist no experience needed" and came up with a lot of places that you can find on the Internet to research. One company is called Trans Am Associates and I noticed they have listings in California and New Jersey, so they may have openings in other states as well.

With the changes in technology that allow digital dictation files to be uploaded and downloaded, it is easy to work from home and I do think that with concerted effort on your part, you will find a company that will be glad they found you.

Keep plugging away, Sue, and don't give up! This field needs good, dedicated people. I'm sorry you're having a rough time right now, but you may be closer than you think to getting your foot in the door!

God bless you,

Mary Ruff-King

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Rome, Georgia

90 months ago

I had the same problem. I looked for jobs before I even graduated from school and was very discouraged that no one wanted a "newbie". I took test after test, until I tested for a company called MRecord. They have hired me and I am about to start work tonight. This is a work from home position.(It is 3rd shift, but beggars can't be choosers. I will be working from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.)So you might want to try them. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

excellent, thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 somethn crowd in Naperville, Illinois

90 months ago

Linda Valencis in Southington, Connecticut said: I currently work from home for Spheris as a medical transcriptionist. The first 2-3 years were wonderful. Commute was from bedroom to desk. No special wardrobe, no makeup, hair appts needed. All the equipment, PC, etc. was provided by employer. I just needed == and I would highly recommend -- cable connection for PC use. Get paid by the numbers of line transcribed, which is usually around 10 cents a line, and that is "good." I get paid every other week, direct deposit. We accrue PTO (paid time off)which can be used for holidays, sick time, vacations, appointments, mental-health time off, anything. And it does add up pretty fast. The only two paid vacations each year are Thanksgiving and Christmas. We get more $$ by taking on harder (MORE ESL dictator accounts)accounts or working night shifts.

Right now, I am very disillusioned with the work. There is a flood of ESL (English-second language) doctors and it is severely affecting my production, i.e., my pay check.

We are able to email coworkers for help and samples of difficult dictators, and in doing so, I have become friendly with other MTs across the country. Quite of few of them have left and gone to other companies. One in particular really went from the frying pan into the fire to MedQuest.

Be careful. There is NOT a lot of money to be made in this field. I did work as a remote MT for a local hospital, but had to go into the hospital for monthly meetings which were agonizing because they were "corporate" type meetings and had nothing to do with MT BUT we were pulled into doing BS corporate stuff like coming up with ideas on how to improve something in the hospital that really had nothing to do with our work at all. All of us "remotes" hated that. We also had to go in once a month for MT meetings which did make sense. But, again, not really productive.

None of that at Spheris, and that is something I really like about them. Have run out of space

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

50 somethn crowd in Naperville, Illinois

90 months ago

I may be looking for a career change. Been to 8 head hunter, looking for accounting work, nothing yet but only 20 hours of work. Just like you cant depend on SS as income, I need to keep looking other than those agancies. How much money does it take to get started in med xscrpt. Per hour wat is the range.
Currious - bp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Can anyone tell me what study guides/materials I should invest in to study for the RMT exam. I've been looking at the RMT study guide and also the aamt book. I've talked to several people in my job search that noted being registered newbie might bring in more job offers. Any suggestions on what anyone else thinks or study guides that would be helpful to prepare for this would be great. I am going to join the aamt but like everyone else have to wait until I have the funds. With 2 girls in college and a teenage son money sometimes is short. :) Hopefully by the end of the month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ebony in Cedar Hill, Texas

90 months ago

Amanda in Rome, Georgia said: Go to MTJobs.com. That is where I found all of the jobs that I applied for. They have many listings on there. It is called MRecord. Just click on it and submit your resume. I didn't have anything to even put on my resume, so I played up my grades in school. They then sent me the test to take. I took the test and then they called and hired me. They are in the process of hiring alot of new people. Good Luck!! Let me know if you need any help with anything.

Hi Amanda, I took the test the other day for MRecord. It wasn't that hard, I think the only hard to her one was the last the report other than that, I think I did pretty well. Hopefully they will call me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tricia in Southbury, Connecticut

90 months ago

I'm thinking of entering the field of MT. Not sure if a good career move. By reading all of your comments, it doesn't sound promising. But, I am also learning that its just about putting yourself outthere. I guess that is with anything. Been a secretary for almost 20 yrs. Its time for a change and I've always loved the med field and I am a peopel person.
Any responsees would be appreicated.
Thanks - Tricia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I think it is a great field so far. I have just finished taking my classes and now I'm trying to find work. I really just started looking for work. check out career step if you are interested. Let me know if you have any more questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Rome, Georgia

90 months ago

Hi, I have been self-employed in the medical transcription field since 1997. Having worked in a hospital and doctor's office before this venture, I had a lot of networking going on so I had no problem finding individual physical therapy clinics, physicians, etc. who became my clients. In the past, I have also worked for MedQuist which is a wonderful company and they hire newly graduated MTs, as well as those with 1 year of on-the-job experience/training. I would highly recommend MedQuist because they are flexible in your scheduling, pay is competitive, they provide your equipment, and there is always work available. Log onto Medquist.com and click on the link for transcriptionists. On going at it on your own, the main thing is to NETWORK because you are going to be wearing all the hats of your business...accounting, transcribing, and especially MARKETING. Good luck everyone! I've been extremely happy and successful in my venture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I thank you so much for that information. I was starting to feel a little discouraged. I will try medquist and see if I can pass the test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Rome, Georgia

90 months ago

You are welcome. Don't get discouraged because it is a great field to be in. Good luck with MedQuist, and you can always work with them permanently or work with them while you are trying to branch off into your own business. The good thing about MedQuist is that there is always work and you always know when you will be paid (although it is never the same because you are paid by your production) plus they offer benefits, where working for yourself you have to do the billing AND the collecting...Collecting is a big issue sometimes :( and you have no benefits other than your freedom to make your own schedule, set your own rates, etc. Once again, Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I do have a question maybe you can give me some ideas on what I really need to do. I had tested with SOAP and of course was not hired. So I did ask the reason why and she told me that it was small things that were missed and some missed spelled words. That I don't remember. I don't remember how hard there test was at all. What would you advise I work on so that I don't get these type of responses?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary Ruff-King in Los Angeles, California

90 months ago

Hi Ebony:

I think part of the answer, at least, is in your response. Please, I am not critizing, just commenting:

"...small things that were missed and some missed spelled words." Should be "misspelled words."

"I don't remember how hard there test was at all." Should be "their test was at all."

English is challenging for us all, and it takes a long time to become moderately proficient in it.

One of the things that can be done to improve your English is to read, read, read. Read an article and notice what words are used and how they are spelled. Analyze the writing style: Why do you like the way an article was written? Then rewrite the article in your own writing style.

Write down words that are challenges for you.
Study punctuation and grammar.
Write articles for your own benefit and amusement to improve your writing skills.

I love to write and have worked very hard over the years to improve my writing. It sounds like that is all you will need to do as well; study, practice, and implement what you learn the next time you take a test for a medical transcription job.

I hope this helps...keep on plugging away, and I admire your courage to ask for help.

Regards,

Mary Ruff-King
www.mtmasterycenter.com
www.medicaltranscriptionmasterycenter.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Hi. Thanks so much, that was very helpful. I will probably go thru with it. I will check medquist!

Thanks again
Tricia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Thank you for your help. I really mean it.

90 months ago

Hi Ebony:

You are welcome! If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know...and I really mean that. I am here to help those who want to get into the medical transcription business and do well by the profession. Medical transcription is very rewarding. I've been in the business long enough to know how exciting and rewarding it is.

You have the right attitude, so I applaud you for that! God bless you and the best of luck in your endeavors.

Mary Ruff-King
www.mtmasterycenter.com
www.medicaltranscriptionmasterycenter.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I will continue to log into the forum on a daily basis. I'm going to practice some of these sample reports and see if I can get my error rate together! I want to do this so bad that I have to keep on pushing. I like to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about and I found you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Thanks, Ebony...that means a lot to me.

Regards, Mary Ruff-King :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey in Mount Morris, Michigan

90 months ago

sarah p in chappell, Nebraska said: Hi Cassandra-I'm a recent Medical Transcription Graduate and am having no luck in obtaining a job, also. I've been on the search for about 3 months now, and have only had a few replies to all of the many applications I've filled out. I'm getting very impatient and discouraged. It seems everyone wants someone with 2 or more years experience to do the job, well if we don't have experience are we ever going to get a job?

I was making around $25.00 a day for about 5 hours of work at home. Our money situation was so bad, that I started looking for another job. I am now working at Wal-Mart as a people-greeter and looking for a part-time MT job. I would look for something part-time at first as a MT.

90 months ago

Hi Sarah,
I'm going to look for part-time work myself because money is very tight for me too. I'm going to keep on going over my practice report and applying for jobs. Hopefully, something will come up for the both of us.

90 months ago

Me too. So I understand what you are going through. I would just fit perfect in my life situation right now. I'm not going to give up and neither should you. Something will come along.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sarah p in chappell, Nebraska

90 months ago

Let's hope! It would fit perfect in my life right now as well...I'm a young mom of a 3-year-old and a 6-week-old and refuse to take them to daycare. I run an in-home child care and am getting very burnt out with that, finished schooling for mt a few months back and love it, just not lucky in finding a job, I guess.

90 months ago

Right. I have a daughter that is 9 and daycare is not an option for me either. I lost my job two months ago while I was still taking my classes. I have now finished and don't want to go back to the collections field, it was too stressful for me.

90 months ago

Sarah, you say your school is suppose to help you find something? IF you dont mind I ask. Where did you receive your training? The school I'm looking into is one I can do from home online, and they tell me as part of the program you receive life time assistance with job search. So, I was just wondering. I'd hate to finish the program and not have the help they say they will offer. On another note for all the other MT's. How hard on the arms/hands is it. Strange question I know. Reason I ask, I have MS and sometimes my arms/hands cramp or ache up. So, I'm just trying to find out as much about it as I can before I committ to anything. Sometime later in future I may become disabled, so having some training behind me would still help me find work. For example, are you usually paid by how many lines are entered and is there usually a time frame on which to complete the work that is sent to you? Thanks to everyone who will offer to info. Also, I work full time now, have 2 small children; so my time is limited. Would you all still rec I persue an MT course?
Thanks, Tricia

Sylvia Albury in Atlanta, Georgia

90 months ago

Hi,

You know anything is possible. I have worked as a transcriptionist for 15 years total and I have not found it to be hard on the hands and arms. Sometimes my shoulders get stiff and my wirst get a little irritated but a wrist band for a few days and stretches for the shoulders remedies that problem. With your already busy schedule you would have to be determined but you would find time to study. Wish you the best.

90 months ago

Thanks for you comments. Appreicate it.

:)Tricia

90 months ago

Can anyone tell me where I can go online to get free typing test to check my wpm? I've been approached with a job opportunity locally and they want a price per 30 minute tape. How do I go about figuring out how to charge?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Sorry; half asleep here.

Correct link to free typing site: www.caihometype.com/typetest.html

Mary Ruff-King in Los Angeles, California said: Dear Sue:

Here's a link to a free typing test; I did a Google search on "medical transcription typing test" and came up with it:

www.caihometype.com/typetest.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Your a lifesaver Mary, thanks

90 months ago

Hey Sue:

Thanks for your kind response.

I'd like to ask all newbie MTs what is your greatest challenge? What questions do you have that you would like answered?

Please post them here, and I'll try to answer them; if I don't have the answers, I'll do the research to find the answers.

Thanks,

Mary Ruff-King

90 months ago

My greatest challenge is to trying to pass the employment test for these MT companies.

90 months ago

My biggest challenge is getting my foot in the door. Everyone wants 2 years experience.

90 months ago

Hey again, Sue:

Would you mind telling me what you have done specifically so far to try and get your foot in the door? It would help me to see what you have done/not done.

Thanks, Mary

90 months ago

Hi Ebony:

We communicated earlier in the week about English. Is there anything else besides English grammar with which you are having trouble when trying to pass the employment test? What have you been told by potential employers?

Regards,

Mary

90 months ago

Hi All:

I am toying around with the idea of developing a teleclinic on a monthly basis for newbie MTs for which I would be the moderator. I have never done anything like this before, just brainstorming here, but I know how easy it is to get discouraged and feel like you are all alone when you just start out in medical transcription.

I think it would be great if I have guest speakers to talk to newbies and take questions. I just get the feeling there is a need for this, but do others who are new to the profession feel this way? I cannot say; only you can.

Give me some feedback. I can also develop an e-book or whatever to go along with the teleclinic and then at the end of the year, send out CDs of the teleclinic seminar recordings. Again, just brainstorming here.

My feeling is this would be set up like a like a membership site with a flat rate monthly fee. I could also do one-on-one consultations.

I don't know if anyone would be interested in this, but if you are just let me know, and we'll all brainstorm together to create something you want and from which you would receive great benefit and support.

Thanks so much!

Mary Ruff-King

90 months ago

Right out of school in 2005 I sent out letters introducing myself and asking to be considered for any jobs available then or in the future. Mainly to local hospitals, doctors and dentist offices. The reply's I got in follow up was that they hire MT's with at least 2 years experience or I needed to be certified. Recently I have been applying online to jobs available through www.transcription.net. I've tested a couple times through jobs available there. I seem to need a refresher in grammer and punctuation as that is my weakness and also need to get my typing speed up. I'm also considering taking the RMT test. Do you think that would help? It is my understanding you have to be a RMT before you can become a CMT. What study materials would you suggest for preparing for these?

90 months ago

Hi.

I have only had one employer to respond. The employer just stated that there were small things that resulted in me not passing. I'm not sure from that answer, what I really need work on. I feel very comfortable as far as what I hear being dictated and I never guess. If there is something that I really can not make out what is being said, I will just flag it.

90 months ago

Hi Ebony:

Here is a site I thought you might like to peruse:

grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/

I took a quick look at some of the web pages, and it looks like it could be helpful to those who are interested in honing their English writing skills.

Tell me what you think of it, ok?

Thanks,

Mary R-K

90 months ago

Thanks Mary.

I'm going to check it out now and let you know. I also think that your ideas for the newbies would be wonderful and a great benefit.

This feels so crazy, starting something new when I have been in the medical field for as long as I can remember. I'm just so determined to make it work so, I'm willing to go the extra mile to make it happen.

90 months ago

Hi Ebony:

Here is another site for English grammar:

a4esl.org/q/j/

Regards,

Mary R-K

90 months ago

Hi Sue:

Have you been networking with MTs? Have you joined the AAMT and the local chapter of the AAMT in your area? It works so much better to have face-to-face contact with local members when seeking an MT job. There are a lot of unadvertised positions that are announced at local AAMT chapter meetings. That is how I got my start. Are you friends with a local seasoned MT with whom you could conduct an information interview?

English grammar and punctuation are a challenge for us all. I have posted a couple of sites that I found (see my posts to Ebony)

a4esl.org/q/j/ - this is a English grammar test site.

The following is a link to the book I used when taking my MT transcription courses. I really like this book; it covers a lot about English grammar and punctuation used in medical reports. You can buy a used copy of it for dirt cheap at Amazon.com.

www.amazon.ca/Diehl-Fordneys-Medical-Transcribing-Techniques/dp/072169568X

Regards, Mary

Sue in Grand Island, Nebraska said: Right out of school in 2005 I sent out letters introducing myself and asking to be considered for any jobs available then or in the future. Mainly to local hospitals, doctors and dentist offices. The reply's I got in follow up was that they hire MT's with at least 2 years experience or I needed to be certified. Recently I have been applying online to jobs available through www.transcription.net. I've tested a couple times through jobs available there. I seem to need a refresher in grammer and punctuation as that is my weakness and also need to get my typing speed up. I'm also considering taking the RMT test. Do you think that would help? It is my understanding you have to be a RMT before you can become a CMT. What study materials would you suggest for preparing for these?

90 months ago

Thanks again. The first one that you gave is good. It has some practice test to take, so I'm going to play around with them for awhile. This makes me feel dumber than a bag of rocks! I know I have been out of high school for a long time, but this is just stuff I should know like the back of my hand. :)

90 months ago

Hi Ebony:

You just keep that attitude. I like the expression: "You go, girl!" And keep on going, and going, and going....!!!

You will constantly get my encouragement. It seems you have the same attitude I had when I started out; bulldogged determination to succeed. Believe me, there were days when I would talk to myself, wondering what the heck I was doing, thinking I could get into medical transcription...some days were very overwhelming, even though I knew deep down I had the proper skills and that this profession was a good match for me.

So I know what you mean when you say it feels so crazy. After I got into medical transcription, life has never been the same, and I'm grateful for that!

Regards, Mary R-K

90 months ago

I'm going to keep at it. I haven't talked to anyone yet that states that they don't love the field. I love the medical field period. I feel like I have paid my dues with the other jobs in the medical field,and now I just want to sit down and let my fingers do the typing!

90 months ago

These sites and books sound wonderful. They will help me brush up. I know how Ebony feels as I have been out of highschool 30 years. I know I knew this at one time but it sure feels foreign. I will take a look. Unfortunately I do not have any friends I can mentor under. I have yet to find a local chapter for aamt but I am planning on joining one. Might just have to join through the website and then branch into a local when I find it.
Mary I want to thank you again for all the advice, encouragment and support you offer all of us. Since I joined this forum I have learned so much and it is such a relief to know I am not alone. You are a true inspiration.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.