Internships/apprentice programs?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 100)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Maple Grandma in Burlington, Vermont

52 months ago

Did you start with Houck as a newbie/ do an internship?
Thanks for letting me know how things went for you.
Let me know when you resolve this issue.

Have you found another job?

Maple Grandma

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

I, like so many of you, searched for an MT internship, and waited several months
for the AIM/Houck MT internship. There just aren't many internships out there.
The online employment process quickly became a waste of time.

I see the AIM $$ fee as any apprentice/intern would,
paying dues to get experience in a profession.
I saw another internship program that cost $450.00

I am very satisfied to have an AIM mentor
who responds immediately on Yahoo IM
with any questions I have as I am working.
And she gets pended the documents I work on,
so I know the physician gets the best copy possible.

Because of your (and others) input about AIM/Houck Transcription,
I have a plan to survive should I be offered a job with them.

The Irish Green Goddess of the Well blesses Us All !

Maple Grandma

52 months ago

How are you doing settling your $$$ issues with Houck Transcription?

Maple Grandma

sandra-53 in West Warwick, Rhode Island

52 months ago

I have spoked to Job Assistance at Allied Schools and they said that they would pay of it and I pay the other half.

concerned

52 months ago

I actually had to notify the BBB and they contacted her. I am still waiting on my January check. I finally got Decembers. She told the BBB that I would have it no later than March 26 but the 26th has come and gone. I did notify the BBB that I have not yet recieved my January check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Thanks for letting me know the status of your situation
with Houck transcription.

How long have you been an MT? How long did you work from Houck?
Did you do an internship at Houck?

Are you working now as an MT?

52 months ago

kimberlyjohnson in Denver, Colorado said: Hi there. I'm about to finish Allied's program in medical transcription. Just curious how things are going for you? Have you found a job yet? Have you taken the exam to get yourself registered, and if so, how did it go? I'm really liking the program so far. Do you know if, while you were attending Allied, were they an AHDI approved program (I know they are now). Did you happen to sign up and pay for them to give you lifetime assistance for resume, job search, ect.? (Sorry for all the question's, I haven't been able to find anyone else that has gone through Allied). Hope things are going well for you. Also, here is a great information page from AHDI for anyone reading this! www.ahdionline.org/TipSheetforBecomingaSelfemployedMT/tabid/359/Default.aspx

Allied Medical School was not AHDI approved when I was taking the online Med. Terminology and MT course. They were approved just after I finished.
I feel I got a good education, though the "real" work world of MDs and hospitals has specific guidelines for each type of document, none of these requirements were foreign to me.

I found it almost impossible to find a job, though Allied provided many places to test and apply.

I applied/tested/paid 1/2 the fee for the AIM/Houck Transcription MT internship.
After a long wait, I got started at the end of February, 2010. I have a wonderful mentor and real hospital experience.

I am feeling very wary as 2 people have been ripped off by Houck Transcription.
They were promised pay and had to go to the BBB to get her to pay what was owed.(3-4 months back wages).

So, on I go doing mostly VR editing and doing well.

RSVP

Maple Grandma

concerned

52 months ago

You are welcome. I have been an MT for 2 years. I did not do the internship with Houck. I am currently searching for a new MT job whether it be in an office or at home; as I am looking I am substitute teaching at the local schools. I decided to work from home since it was easier on my family as a whole. When I was working in an office I would leave home when I put my children on the bus and wouldn't get home after 6p.m.

maegene in Putney, Kentucky

52 months ago

I just wanted to put my two cents in about AIM program. I signed up 2 or 3 months back. They finally got in touch with me in March, I paid my 99 and went right to work next 2 or 3 days. I have a really nice mentor with 30 yrs. experience. I am learning a lot about what to do and what not to do. She corrects my work and gives it back to me so I can see what I have done wrong. I don't know about working for them how they are about paying. Everything else has been what they said they would do and I have had no trouble contacting them and Dawn seems to be very nice and helpful to me so far. I figure if nothing else, I will gain experience that will help me to get a job.

52 months ago

I feel the same way you do about AIM.
I really like my mentor, much more personal
than school.

Maple Grandma

Loretta in Fontana, California

51 months ago

I am a 55 year old online student of TransAm Associates located in Valrico, Florida. I have been a student for a number of years now. I am having a hard time passing their 3 required tests. If/whenever I pass these 3 required tests, I will be able to work for them. It's just that their testing is very difficult. I'm not gonna give up tho. I am determined to pass all three tests which will lead to much-needed experience in this field.

Nancy Schacht in Indianapolis, Indiana

51 months ago

Cindi in Bemidji, Minnesota said: same here! I am almost done with the medical transcription program through Penn Foster, and seeking employment in this field, however, every place I have applied to is looking for someone with at least a year of experience. My question is, How do you get experience, unless someone gives you the opportunity?

Having the same problem in Indianapolis Indiana. Received a Mastery Certificate in completing my course more than one year ago. no one is interested in mentoring or utilizing me as an intern. What do they have to lose? They receive "free labor" which is perhaps not at the level required of their company, but whatever reports are done by the intern are more than would have been done without the intern. Go figure. Also, the school I attended, TechSkills in Indianapolis, provided no assistance with internships. However, in their coding course and pharmacy assistant courses they did. Had I known how important the placement assistance was at the time, I would have spent the $7,000 with a school that did!

Nancy Schacht in Indianapolis, Indiana

51 months ago

Loretta in Fontana, California said: I am a 55 year old online student of TransAm Associates located in Valrico, Florida. I have been a student for a number of years now. I am having a hard time passing their 3 required tests. If/whenever I pass these 3 required tests, I will be able to work for them. It's just that their testing is very difficult. I'm not gonna give up tho. I am determined to pass all three tests which will lead to much-needed experience in this field.

I am finding, through testing for potential positions, etc. that there was not enough emphasis in my training curriculum on medications. This is surfacing to be of the highest importance in testing. Realizing the hundreds/thousands of medications that are in use, there should be attention paid in the courses to the most commonly used meds, at least. Meds were no more emphasized than any other aspect of the course. I would rather have spent more time on that than on HIPPA, Medicare, Medicaid or some other more "secondary" subjects which had nothing to do with the actual transcription process.

Kathy Plaxico in Aberdeen, Mississippi

51 months ago

I too understand the frustration that you are going through. I finished a medical transcription school and they really believe that you can get a job without mentoring or further training. I have tried and tried and checked everywhere. It is like my school has left me holding the bag after all the time and money I have spent. I am going to be starting Med Workshops on the 1st of May. I just wished I had checked all the schools out before I started. At least I believe that I am in the right school now. I am so very happy and looking forward to the guaranteed job at the end.

51 months ago

There's a lot to watch out for in this field.
Glad you are finding what you need.

leann4mk in Seattle, Washington

51 months ago

Kathy Plaxico in Aberdeen, Mississippi said: I too understand the frustration that you are going through. I finished a medical transcription school and they really believe that you can get a job without mentoring or further training. I have tried and tried and checked everywhere. It is like my school has left me holding the bag after all the time and money I have spent. I am going to be starting Med Workshops on the 1st of May. I just wished I had checked all the schools out before I started. At least I believe that I am in the right school now. I am so very happy and looking forward to the guaranteed job at the end.

Hi! I just started at Med Workshops two weeks ago. It will be great to connect on here. I chose MW because of a personal contact. She's been with them for about 5 years. She's now proof-reading and making $25 per hour, part-time. My niece started the course a month ago. It's nice to know other students. Check out comments by Redpen, she's finishing the internship. Good luck, and keep in contact. LeAnn

51 months ago

Hi Leann, I sure will stay in contact. Is this school pretty flexible when you get to the mentoring/internship? I work part-time during the day. I am willing to do what it takes to get a medical transcription job. I have wasted time and money on the other school. I still have two years to pay on the last school. So looking forward to going through this school and finally working.

51 months ago

Kathy Plaxico in Aberdeen, Mississippi said: Hi Leann, I sure will stay in contact. Is this school pretty flexible when you get to the mentoring/internship? I work part-time during the day. I am willing to do what it takes to get a medical transcription job. I have wasted time and money on the other school. I still have two years to pay on the last school. So looking forward to going through this school and finally working.

Hi! I'm just starting the course. I'm not sure about the internship program, but another woman on the forum is in the internship program. Look for posts from "Redpen". You, at least, have some schooling. I'm starting from scratch! It's been years since I was in school.

51 months ago

Hi, I sure will look for posts from Redpen. So you are starting with this course also. I wish you the very best of luck with it. The other school from what I understand didn't even hit the tip of the iceberg as far as the lessons and everything else. I have a whole lot to learn myself. But I am so very excited about getting started and into it.

51 months ago

Kathy Plaxico in Aberdeen, Mississippi said: Hi, I sure will look for posts from Redpen. So you are starting with this course also. I wish you the very best of luck with it. The other school from what I understand didn't even hit the tip of the iceberg as far as the lessons and everything else. I have a whole lot to learn myself. But I am so very excited about getting started and into it.

Hello, Kathy! Are you taking the make-up course? I'm anxiously waiting for my niece to take the section one tests. She started a few weeks ahead of me. It really helps to have someone taking the same course. Good luck with your new journey! LeAnn

51 months ago

Hi, No I'm not taking the make-up course. I am taking the starbright course, In other words starting from the beginning. It will be good for me. Thank you very much. I wish you the best of luck too on your journey. I am very anxious to get started. I agree, it really does help to know that there is somebody else out there doing the same things. Stay in touch...

Same boat in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

51 months ago

Ashley in Modesto, California said: I recently graduated from a medical transcription program and I am having a really hard time finding work. Does anyone know of any companies that do some sort of internship paid or not?

Good Luck

JEM in Watertown, South Dakota

51 months ago

I am a voc rehab counselor that works with many people trying to find alternative work situations. In my experience, the best way to get hired, and more importantly to determine if this is even a viable vocational goal and/or training program, is to visit with clinics, hospitals, etc. that would hire MT's. Find someone working in the field and ask if there is a market. Seek out placement services for the schools that offer this program and ask about their track record in placing graduates, openings and requests for graduates, etc. Bottom line, see if there is a REAL market for your services, vs. smoke and mirrors.

Lots of people like the thought of "working at home", and the illusion that this is a good thing. It can be, but it can also be difficult. Get the real story before investing alot of time, energy, and money into a program that has no openings. Just one person's thoughts...I have been doing this 20 yrs. however, and find that time up front is well spent. JEM

Ashlee in Minot, North Dakota

51 months ago

Hi Kim,

I finished the medical transcription course through Allied back in March. I haven't had any luck yet finding a job as most places require at least 2+ years of experience. It seems the places that do hire entry level people have to many at this time and are not hiring. I did sign up for the job assistance as well and they do send me leads but I haven't had any luck with those. I have not taking the exam to become a registered transcriptionist although I do intend to. When I called Allied for assistance while taking the course they weren't of much help so I'm hoping to find a place that will let me work in the office to get more hands on experience before starting to work from home. Hope this helps you.

51 months ago

Ask your student adviser at Allied about internship programs.
Allied can recommend a reputable MT company that does internships.

Mandy on the west coast in Springfield, Oregon

48 months ago

I just want to say that the AIM Program with Dawn Houck is a very good program. I would not have been able to get/keep a job anywhere if it was not for what I learned in that internship. My mentor was awesome. She was there for me whenever I had a question during my work shift, and all of my work was corrected by her and sent back to me for my review. I learned from every mistake I made, and I now have a good job that I love. I don't think anyone could really do this kind of work accurately without an internship to learn what you really need to know and have someone there to answer every question you have along the way. I am very happy I chose to complete the AIM Program.

OTEbyIM in Goose Creek, South Carolina

41 months ago

Online Transcription Essentials is offering a paid intership program for newly graduated MTs. We have two more spots available for the current 12-week session. For more information email oteip@onlinetxessentials.com or view our website for additional details.

41 months ago

Wow. .thanks so much for all the responses. The internship is now filled. The next run will take place May 2011 with registration beginning April 2011. See you then!

annette in Converse, Texas

41 months ago

I am a recent graduate from san antonio texas and am having trouble finding a medical transcription job. The places I've applied to many places and they all want someone with years of professional experience, which I do not have. I completed my unpaid internship, but am still having trouble finding a job. Can anyone help me please?
Thanks,
Annette

41 months ago

Check with TNIcentral.com, they hire newbies that have interned.

annette in Converse, Texas

41 months ago

OTEbyIM in Goose Creek, South Carolina said: Check with TNIcentral.com, they hire newbies that have interned.

I don't think there's a place to apply, it says that they offer the training and then the job placement after graduation, but I already graduated and just need the job placement. I had a couple offers from my home town but I moved 2 weeks ago and the offers i received did not offer contracts. Any other ideas?

41 months ago

Check the contact page. There is an email addy to send resumes. They always have a running add on Craigs List regarding training and jobs stating they only hire newbies that have interned.

Sarah in Riverside, California

41 months ago

Prin989898@aol.com in Iron Gate, Virginia said: I graduated from At-home professions 2005. Never found a Job do to no experience. Also could not make an 98% on the test. Very difficult it get a job in MT.

I am currently going to school through At-Home Professions as well.. on session 4, 2 lessons left and I'm onto the 5th and final session! :D)

Can you fill me in on other than the reading/quizzes/tests.. what does session 5 include- as in the material the school gives to students when looking for a job in MT'ing.. ANYthing would help!! Thank you!! :^)

Student in Parker, Colorado

39 months ago

Hi did you ever find a internship after you completed your program from penn foster?

television in Daytona Beach, Florida

36 months ago

karen in Port Orange, Florida said: I'm also a recent graduate from Allied Business School as a Medical Transcriptionist. Currently looking for employment or some kind of internship. I'm eager to start. I live in Port Orange, FL and right now a lot of places are not hiring, like hospitals and such, rather laying people off. Any suggestions?

hey, it has been about a year. So, did you find any work?
I live in Port Orange Florida.

television in Daytona Beach, Florida

36 months ago

television in Daytona Beach, Florida said: hey, it has been about a year. So, did you find any work?
I live in Port Orange Florida.

Port Orange medical transcription

rtg0526@embarqmail.com in Charlottesville, Virginia

33 months ago

Barbara Tucker in Clifton Forge, Virginia said: I need an Internship Program that is legit. I need someone to Mentor me as I need more study and practice.

Thanks a bunch!

Barbara Tucker

Barbara, I am now in the same boat you were in when you wrote this message, 8 months ago. Did you
ever find a mentor to help you out, I live in Virginia also. I am just about to give up.
Please reply to me.
Thanks a million
rtg0526@embarqmail.com

Barbara in Clifton Forge, Virginia

33 months ago

No, I did not cause they are not legit. I got ripped out of 100.00 from a person that said she would help me. The job market wants at least 1 to 2 years experience and 98 on the employment test. So I never made it. I was and am so disappointed with all the time, money and effort I put into it. I really did enjoy Medical Transcription but it is gone now.

Hope you find something soon!

Barbara

Maple Grandma in Waitsfield, Vermont

33 months ago

It is interesting how many people have been
disillusioned about Medical Transcription.

The reality of the job is very different than the hype
in the media or what is advertised to potential
students by online schools.

I too, paid for an internship.
After about 1-1/2 years the line ct. requirements
were increased and I realized this job was going to
cost me $$$$.

Because of this reality, I have
QUIT medical transcription.

Maple Grandma

Tracey in Atlanta, Georgia

33 months ago

Ashley in Modesto, California said: I recently graduated from a medical transcription program and I am having a really hard time finding work. Does anyone know of any companies that do some sort of internship paid or not?

Go to the AHDI website for information regarding apprenticeships and mentors.

Poosahkie in Fort Wayne, Indiana

33 months ago

Barbara Tucker in Clifton Forge, Virginia said: I need an Internship Program that is legit. I need someone to Mentor me as I need more study and practice.

Thanks a bunch!

Barbara Tucker

Have you checked with your local hospital/medical center? Have you typed in medical transcription in the search boxes? Are you on Monster.com, job.com, Career Builder.com, indeed.com ?

Mel in Aurora, Colorado

26 months ago

concerned said: I have worked for Dawn and I have not yet been paid for Dec. 09, Jan. 10 or Feb 10. She lies about when she gets the checks and when she mails them. I have even contacted SGS and they were very rude. They even lie about when the checks are mailed. Good luck with your work.

SGS is the company that provides/manages/maintains the software they use. No offense, but your comment is completely off track and irrelevant about the program. I waited 2 weeks to get going on the program, just completed the program and have talked to several of the people working with her, and they have no complaints. Honestly, I think that most of the people on here complaining about her program are just competitors trying to sabotage her out of jealousy or illegal business practices (ie., bashing a competitor).

Mel in Aurora, Colorado

26 months ago

Aja G in San Antonio, Texas said: I am also looking for a paid internship for medical transcriptionist. I'm just about finishined with my program and having trouble finding a healthcare facility that will take me in for training in San Antonio or surrounding areas.

You probably won't find a PAID internship. Anywhere.

Mel in Aurora, Colorado

26 months ago

Maple Grandma in Waitsfield, Vermont said: It is interesting how many people have been
disillusioned about Medical Transcription.

The reality of the job is very different than the hype
in the media or what is advertised to potential
students by online schools.

I too, paid for an internship .
After about 1-1/2 years the line ct. requirements
were increased and I realized this job was going to
cost me $$$$.

Because of this reality, I have
QUIT medical transcription.

Maple Grandma

Idk what you mean about hype. As with all technical and licensable professions, the more you learn, the more you earn. one of my friends works as an IC with a VERY Small hospital in thermopolis, wyoming.. about 12009 people... She makes more than $70k a year, just working for that hospital. But... she is a CMT, does billing and coding, and also has a RHIT.

Maple Grandma in Starksboro, Vermont

26 months ago

Frankly, I got tired quickly with Houck Transcription because

-$99.00 internship fee= quick cash for a poorly managed business
-the owner was rarely working and no back up staff either
-the increased line ct. requirements would have cost me money $$$$

Good luck to your friend who makes 70K with her 3 jobs.
It's hard to believe when I hear seasoned pros who make $15.00
an hour after 25 years.

Mel in Aurora, Colorado

26 months ago

A business that has been working for more than 15 years is hardly poorly managed. The owner works everyday, and i talk to her at least once a day, and most of the staff are actually on the same messenger service AND online at the same time. And if you can't make 500 lines a day when the software does most of the work (it takes about 4 hours, even when it's slow), then perhaps you aren't cut out for transcription at all. And my friend doesn't work 3 jobs, you didn't read the comment, she works ONE job, and has 3 certifications. You missed the whole point, in ANY profession, the more you learn, the more you earn.

Frankly, it is quite obvious to me, and anybody with any measure of intelligence, that you are not truthful in your statements. If you read your multiple statements, you 'backtrack' and 'reverse' yourself on several occasions.

MAdams5 in Sagle, Idaho

25 months ago

I too am a recent graduate of Penn Foster and I have been searching and applying for a position as a Medical Transcriptionist for the past 5 months. Has anyone had any success in this career field?

Student in Parker, Colorado

25 months ago

Hey Mel are you working as a medical transcriptionist? If so where are you working and what kind of internship/mentor route did you take? Any info would be great :)

CBerg in Seattle, Washington

18 months ago

Med Workshops offeres internship and job placement with their Finish Up program for past students of other MT courses that can not find work.

medworkshops.com

kayelee37 in Tampa, Florida

13 months ago

Kathy Plaxico in Aberdeen, Mississippi said: I too understand the frustration that you are going through. I finished a medical transcription school and they really believe that you can get a job without mentoring or further training. I have tried and tried and checked everywhere. It is like my school has left me holding the bag after all the time and money I have spent. I am going to be starting Med Workshops on the 1st of May. I just wished I had checked all the schools out before I started. At least I believe that I am in the right school now. I am so very happy and looking forward to the guaranteed job at the end.

Hey Kathy, just wondering how Med Workshops worked out for you as I'm considering signing up for their program.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.