Medical Transcription Schools

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 138 of 138)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

NJseastar in Keyport, New Jersey

63 months ago

This is a great forum. As I'm reading advice on MT schools, instead of enrolling in one of the most advertised schools, check out the web site for CAI Medical Transcription in Barnegat, NJ. I opted to take my MT course through here and am glad I did. You can take it online too. The owner Cheryl Izzo worked for large MT companies herself and put in the time before forming her own school. She gives you personal attention and promptly responds to your Emails. Her course fee is much lower than any community college and less than many online schools. Read the testimonials on her site and you'll see how many people are very happay with her school, including me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy Handyside in Southgate, Michigan

63 months ago

I think it's rather frightening to think of how many people are depending on speech recognition software, because the software is so inaccurate. On my last job, I was working as an archival assistant and we were testing speech recognition on a film we were indexing. It was a nature film about wasps; the film narrator was talking about the female wasp and said, "And the eggs she produces..." Speech recognition software picked it up as "n the dead sheep producers"! MTs are still needed, we just need to convince the health care field of that fact. Speech recognition software is not sophisticated enough to replace MTs, but the problem is that the manufacturers of the software convince the doctors that it is, that it will completely replace MTs, and they can save a lot of money by buying the software. False advertising, IMO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joni Joyner in Tulsa, Oklahoma

63 months ago

Yes, and then transcription companies want to pay us pennies on the dollar which is harder to correct the transcription than it is than to just type the report in the first place a loose-loose situation....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Seriousness in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

It is sad that these transcription companies are not willing to pay their transcriptionists decent salaries. Transcription is not an easy job at all. Especially when you are listening to those doctors who act like they are in a speedway race dictating. By the way, Joni, are you still transcribing?

Joni Joyner

63 months ago

Yes, I still am transcribing. Are you? But I can not make money in ASR....and I just don't do it. Going to school pursuing other options.

Seriousness in North Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

Hi Joni,

No, I am not transcribing. I was enrolled in a medical transcription program but decided not to finish it because I realize that it would have taken me a couple of years to catch up to the wage that I am presently getting from my full time job that I doing now. This program demand a lot of studying and hard work as well as being under stress. A medical transcriptionist should not have to work many years before she/he see the compensation for all that extremely hard work and dedication that she has put in. So now I like you am looking at other options in the medical field.

meisha1954

63 months ago

Shannon Scroggins in Victorville, California said: I am thinking seriously about starting my second career as a Medical Transcriptionist. I have attented the seminar that At-Home Professions offers but I am really worried about not being able to get a job after I complete the course. Has anyone in this forum graduated from At-Home professions and actually gotten work after they were done with the course they provide?

I graduated from a local community college. I was at the top of my class and got a job right away with a very small local transcription company. Not a single person in my class has yet to get a job. It has been over three years. However, we have lost so many clients due to voice recognition and sending jobs to India since I started. I only make 5.5 cents per line. I do not mind as I am getting good experience. I would NOT recommend this as a "stay-at-home job" for anyone. Even the Mayo Clinic is going to voice recognition, and they have employed people (in the USA) to work at the facility and at home. I just found out they will not be hiring anymore transcriptionists. The remaining will be phased into other departments or retire. I am already looking to a future of changing professions once again.

63 months ago

Red Pen in Seattle - That's great news! My classmates and I have just formed a study group to prepare to take the RMT (Registered Medical Transcriptionist)certification exam from AHDI; our group starts up the end of the month. Sure it's a lot of work to get ready to take the exam, but I feel it will definitely be worth the time and money to get the certification. It will definitely show that we are serious about our new profession and I think employers will be impressed with that. At least, I hope so!

MT learning HIT in Lafayette, Indiana

63 months ago

One thing to be sure of when researching schools for HIT (Associate degree) or HIM (Bachelor degree) is that you choose one approved by CAHIIM. If you receive a degree at a school not approved by them, you cannot sit for the RHIT or RHIA certification exams. There are quite a few approved schools to check out, including online schools.

On the subject of MT, I graduated from one of the top schools in the field, and I currently make a VERY good living at well less than 40 hours a week. Some days I can make my minimum income requirement in about 4 hours. I am currently attending college to earn my HIT degree and continue on with my RHIT certification. I am not learning this to get out of MT, but because I feel that the field is changing. There will always be a need for good MTs, but the job will not be the same as what it is right now. I want to be ready for the changes when they come rather than trying to hurry up and get the additional education after there is a requirement.

Just a word of encouragement out there to potential and current MT students, there are jobs out there. If you can't find one, contact your school to find out which employers are known for hiring their grads. If they won't or can't tell you, maybe they aren't that good of a school. If you are a potential student, ask the schools you are looking at the same question and double check with recruiters at those companies. If the school won't tell you, think twice before signing up. Any good school should be more than willing to give this information out to potential students.

63 months ago

Does anyone know anything about a company called "RemoteMedicalJobs.com"? There are a lot of job postings by this company. Another one I've seen often is "MTRecruiters.com". I see this company listed all the time. Does anyone have any experience with either of these companies? I will be graduating from my medical transcription program in June (provided I can scrape up the tuition for the final course of the program: Hospital Transcription 2), and I've been putting together a list of companies to approach for jobs. Thanks! Kathy

phonetotext in Makati, Philippines

61 months ago

i dont even know how much cost to learn as Medical Transncriptionist i wish there are school which are cheaper how it cost. Transcription Services www.phonetotext.com/pages/landing/offer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NICOLE in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

58 months ago

JodyH in Peoria, Illinois said: I have been doing transcription now for 20 years. I think eventually, hopefully not real soon, that the voice recognition will be perfected enough for all physicians to want to try. You know, not to bash medical transcription, but I would not recommend any one go to school for it, the money these days is in the legal profession. Court reporters, legal secretaries. My sister in law is a leegal secretary and she makes $20 an hour. I will never see any where close to that transcribing, either in an office or out of my home. Doctors just dont want to pay well any more, and its even now with the economy the way it is. I think if I had to do it over again, I would have gotten into legal instead of medical, especially with the way insurance is, with not paying and people not having it. I don't know where you are from, but here in Peoria, Illinois you are lucy to make $16 an hour at very tops in transcription and thats if you have been with the same group for 20 or more years!! Just work on secretarial skills and typing skills and stick with legal, it will pay off.

J

Are you a lawyer or something....your on a M.T. site constantly downing everything about being a M.T. If we wanted to be in the legal field we would be on the legal aid site. I have repeatedly seen comments from you and they have been negative. I would never try talk a person out of what they are interested in and want to do. To me personally anything legal is BORING...just because you think its going to be phased out because of the VR machine is no reason to rain on everyones dream.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scared2BanMT in Suffolk, Virginia

58 months ago

Shirley in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I and my husband are presently in a medical transcription with Inscribe University online medical transcription school. So far I really like it. Several reasons I like them is because once you finish their program successfully, they have an internship program and if you complete their internship program successfully, they will offer you a job to work for their transcription company. The reason they start this program is because they understand how hard it is for a newbie to get their feet in the door.

The entire staff is great and is willing to help you in anyway they can. The entire amount to me was reasonable and you pay by the module. Just type Inscribe University and read what they have to offer to new students.

By the way on their website, you can apply for a position if you are already MT or a new MT for the first time.

Shirley

Hi Shirley,
Boy this site has me in tears and scared and disgusted with the industry and our gov't. Just wanted to know how things are going and wondering if I should even attempt this. I was all excited, then by the grace of GOD I found this site and it opened my eyes. 22 yrs, 10yr...out of work, no work, crappy pay..is it even worth going to school?
I know times are changing with technology so will MT's be needed? The VR stuff isn't reliable and the digital/computer medical records are taking over. Not sure what to do, but I'm desperate to help my family and want to work and love medical stuff. I'm gonna keep checking post and googling medical fields to get into except being a nurse, not wanting that.
Thanks for reading and blessing to you and your husband, hope things are working out. I need a sign or blessing myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

MT learning HIT in Lafayette, Indiana said: One thing to be sure of when researching schools for HIT (Associate degree) or HIM (Bachelor degree) is that you choose one approved by CAHIIM. If you receive a degree at a school not approved by them, you cannot sit for the RHIT or RHIA certification exams. There are quite a few approved schools to check out, including online schools.

On the subject of MT, I graduated from one of the top schools in the field, and I currently make a VERY good living at well less than 40 hours a week. Some days I can make my minimum income requirement in about 4 hours. I am currently attending college to earn my HIT degree and continue on with my RHIT certification. I am not learning this to get out of MT, but because I feel that the field is changing. There will always be a need for good MTs, but the job will not be the same as what it is right now. I want to be ready for the changes when they come rather than trying to hurry up and get the additional education after there is a requirement.

Just a word of encouragement out there to potential and current MT students, there are jobs out there. If you can't find one, contact your school to find out which employers are known for hiring their grads. If they won't or can't tell you, maybe they aren't that good of a school. If you are a potential student, ask the schools you are looking at the same question and double check with recruiters at those companies. If the school won't tell you, think twice before signing up. Any good school should be more than willing to give this information out to potential students.

Hi MT,
I would like to get more information from you on the MT school you attended and this HIT program your studying. Worried @ going into the wrong field or one that won't get me anywhere. Could you email information or talk with me.
Thanks
M

NICOLE in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

58 months ago

WLS said: I am not Kate, but I graduated 3 years ago and currently average $18 an hour. To me, that is good money for only taking a short 6-month course on-line and only working in the business a short time. I make much more as an MT than I ever did working outside the home and I save all the time commuting, which for me was 3-4 hours out of my day. So being able to stay home is a huge perk for me as I gain time in my day to spend doing what I want to do versus sitting in traffic.

I am on the low side as far as my rate of pay (less than 8 cpl), but because my company only assigns us a handful of docs, I average 250-260 lph and make a good hourly wage. I didn't get here immediately. I had to work on my expander daily. I made templates for all my doctors for each report type. I also learned macros in Word to help speed things up.

I also didn't stick with jobs that I knew I was never going to make money at. My first job was doing VR and I knew with that account, I was never going to make any money as the VR was horrible and the reports always had a ton of corrections. My second job was with one of the large nationals. My account was almost 100% ESLs (later learned all the good docs went to VR and we got the leftovers that VR couldn't recognize). Even after 6 months, I couldn't break minumum wage with the small cpl they paid me. It took me 6 companies to find one that worked for me. I now work for a small MTSO that only has a few clients. For me, I like this situation compared to working for a national. I like only having a few docs each day to do. I make much more at this job than working at the large national, but I have so much less stress and a flexible schedule.

What school did you attend?

58 months ago

NICOLE in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: What school did you attend?

I haven't started. I'm afraid I won't be able to do this. I have pretty good typing skills, not sure of the WPM, but I do data entry online and don't make crap so I wanted to get into something like this that will enable me to make good/decent money from home, I have 3 kids and deployed hubby. I checked out CAI MT in N.J. looks and sounds great and I price is reasonable, just trying to find funding for school. If you'd like to call me and chat that would be great, let me know and I'll call you or you can call me.
Thanks so much for replying.
Sincerely,
M

58 months ago

Shirley in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I and my husband are presently in a medical transcription with Inscribe University online medical transcription school. So far I really like it. Several reasons I like them is because once you finish their program successfully, they have an internship program and if you complete their internship program successfully, they will offer you a job to work for their transcription company. The reason they start this program is because they understand how hard it is for a newbie to get their feet in the door.

The entire staff is great and is willing to help you in anyway they can. The entire amount to me was reasonable and you pay by the module. Just type Inscribe University and read what they have to offer to new students.

By the way on their website, you can apply for a position if you are already MT or a new MT for the first time.

Shirley

I would like to talk with you about this school and how you both are doing now.
Maybe I will go to this school?
Thanks,
M

Shirley in Las Vegas, Nevada

58 months ago

Hi Scared2BanMT,

I and my husband are no longer in this course due to personal reasons. The other reason for me dropping out is that I was working a full time job and trying to do the training at the same time became too much for me to handle. If I was not the age I am now and was not in a full time job, I would have stay with it. Inscribe is a good school and they will give you a job as long as you pass their requirements. They are willing to work with you and do what they can to help you to succeed in their program. When I was doing the training, I had a wonderful instructor. Her name is Joddi. She was just awesome! She was so understanding and patient with me and her other students. So if you are still interest in contacting Inscribe, I say go for it and give Inscribe a try. You are young and at your age, you will be able to grasp on easy. Yes, you will have to study but I have faith you can do it. I hope my email has been helpful.

Shirley

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cpt in Vacaville, California

56 months ago

referral.careerstep.com/ref10024 .. offers job placement after completion of the course.

donnaj in Calhan, Colorado

52 months ago

NICOLE in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: What school did you attend?

You still there and still happy? Are they hiring? After 3 years of working ASR for a large service and getting deeper into debt, making less than minimum wage, working literally 12 hour days, I need to find MT work that is straight typing and no ASR. Email me please at donnaj@elpasotel.net

bringhooy in Yuma, Arizona

50 months ago

Retired in Yuma, Arizona said: Is there a job market for a MT with little experience (1 yr)?I have heard that you need 3 yrs. but how do you get those 3 years? Thanks

I need someone to help me with my medical transcription course, will to pay for the help. Please contact me at mrg_lws@yahoo.com I live in Yuma,AZ

A. in Grandview, Missouri

48 months ago

Shannon Scroggins in Victorville, California said: Thanx for the advise I have done some research and am looking at two training programs:
1. Career Step www.careerstep.com/site/type=mt/page=enrollmentpricing-mt
The price is good and I like the course outline.

2. MedLine www.medlineschool.com/index_files/Page387.html
Although for expensive and longer time to finish the course outline seems to cover a lot more.

Does anyone have any experience with these schools? I am open for any comments you have as this is an important decision for me and my family.

Medline have a good curricula but lacks integrity- so beware!!

A. in Grandview, Missouri

48 months ago

Peggy Arenz in Gilbert, Arizona said: I am also looking into schools and prefer an online program as I currently work fulltime. I have decided to stick with only AHDI approved schools. Out of the 14 approved schools, I have narrowed my list down to four: AndrewsSchool, Exact-Med, Med-Line, or M-Tec. I see people talking about Andrews and M-Tec, but wondered if anyone knows anything about the other two (Exact-Med & Med-Line). Any input would greatly be appreicate. Thank you!

Medline have a good curricula but lacks integrity- so beware!!

Jackie in Puntarenas, Costa Rica

47 months ago

Hello,
When I first started I had so many questions and did not know where to start. This site helped me out so much.
www.mtinformation.com/default.htm
It explains everything you need to know on how to become a successful medical transcriptionist working from home. Check it out, it helped me. Good luck!

Jackie in Puntarenas, Costa Rica

47 months ago

Hello,
When I first started I had so many questions and did not know where to start. This site helped me out so much.
www.mtinformation.com/default.htm
It explains everything you need to know on how to become a successful medical transcriptionist working from home. Check it out, it helped me. Good luck!

smudgecat99 in Hemet, California

45 months ago

Sheila said: Shannon,

I am an Honors Graduate of Career Step. I found the program to be excellent and will prepare anyone that completes the program to be an efficient MT. I do have a background in nursing (23 years) and I can honestly say I LOVE being an MT over being a nurse any day of the week! If you do decide to choose a school, please find one that is accredited by the AHDI such as Career Step, Andrews, M-Tec (those are the top 3) plus there are others. I'm sorry to say that At Home Professionals, while I'm sure many enjoy the course, most employers will not even consider the applicant for a position. So if you invest your money, time, and energy, please choose a school that is listed with the AHDI.

Good Luck!

Sheila

Sheila, I am looking at Career Step that is being offered through my local Community College for just under $2K. But I had a friend who is a medical assistant tell me that she has heard MT's will be obsolete in about 5 yrs due to Dr.'s sending work oversees. She suggested going into medical billing and/or coding instead. I really want to work mainly from home though. What is your thoughts on MT becoming obsolete in the near future? Thanks :-)

smudgecat99 in Hemet, California

45 months ago

@Amber
As soon as I saw that someone wrote that they trusted the company because it was a Christian company, I was concerned. I AM a Christian, so that is not why. A lot of the scammers out there are using Christianity as a gimmick to try and gain people's trust, even going so far as to say they are missionaries in some of the scams I have seen. It is very frustrating as it gives people a bad sense of true Christians. Having said that, any company that would ask for your personal info like that, including SS# and keeping that info for 4 weeks before they send you anything as the other person wrote -- red flag. Career Step is supposed to be very credible and can do from home. Even my local JC is offering this course through Career Step.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Gardnerville, Nevada

39 months ago

Career Step does offer their training through many community colleges. That is how good it is. The colleges buy it! I personally LOVE their training course and I recommend it! They are AHDI approved, use real dr dictation, well-known in the industry, make learning interesting with things like crossowrds as quizzes, and they listen to the industry. MT companies were asking for medical transcription editing (which is where I think the industry is heading) and a months later, Career Step had a new course! They list their promotions at www.careerstep.com/promo/?uid=ref10077 or you can view a course demo at www.careerstep.com/demo/?uid=ref10077

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Josie

38 months ago

P. in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi J,

I live in Georgia, near Atlanta and worked for a laboratory that paid me $16.25/hr so maybe you could try that. I have 18 years experience myself.

How did you get your degree? That would be helpful. thank you.

SDALCAMO@SC.RR.com in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

38 months ago

I have been doing medical transcription in my home and in hospitals, offices, etc for many years, and recently the group of doctors I was working for outsourced the work and now I have been without work for a year. I would like to have a part-time job and the money is not important. I would just like to have something to do to make a little extra money. I completed the Medical Secretarial course at Kings College in Charlotte, NC and the at home RHIT course with AMRA and now that I am semi-retired I am not able to get any work.

Lisa in Tarpon Springs, Florida

37 months ago

I wouldn't get into medical transcription now because it no longer pays the bills. Services now only pay 4 cents a line doing editing of speech recognition and they are on your back all the time. Not worth the grief for minimum wage after doing this for 12 years watching my living wage go down to nothing.

jayden in Plano, Texas

34 months ago

Bimmerkim in San Antonio, Texas said: For Karen Schueler: I am an RN looking into a program offered by an online school in Texas. They are of Christian faith (although I am not Christian, it impressed me that they don't want to scam anyone) and offer a course for nurses. Go to www.mtstat.com and check them out. They are less expensive than the other online schools, because as nurses, we already have experience with medical terminology, and either don't need it, or just need a refresher course. I am planning to ask for some references of past graduates to contact to see if they got the training/jobs they were looking for. Best of Luck.

Dear Karen,
I know this had been a while. Did you pursue the course? I myself am a nurse (RN) with lots of hospital experience. Have you been successful in checking references and were they positive? Thanks, Jayden

bimmerkim in Dallas, Texas

34 months ago

jayden in Plano, Texas said: Dear Karen,
I know this had been a while. Did you pursue the course? I myself am a nurse (RN) with lots of hospital experience. Have you been successful in checking references and were they positive? Thanks, Jayden

Jayden,
No, I decided not to persue this. I read enough about mts worried about finding a job at home, as well as the fact they could barely make above $13 per hour to reassess the wonderful opportunities we have as RNs and be thankful that we have a plethora of positions available to us at pay well above $23 per hour. I now work as an RN in a psych hospital for children and adolescents in Austin and love it. Best of luck to you.

Katherine in Provo, Utah

33 months ago

- Is Medical Transcription Going Away?

This is what the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity has said: “The amount of healthcare provider dictation continues to increase. However, the availability of qualified MTs is not growing at the same rate. Speech recognition technology is sometimes used to compensate for the shortage of MTs, but it is impossible for this technology, with all of its limitations, to completely eliminate the need for medical transcriptionists. Even at its best, machine-generated text contains errors that need to be corrected by professionals with language skills and an understanding of the health record. MTs continue to be the best qualified to discern the nuances of human speech.”

ahdionline.org/VisitorCenter/MTsPartnersInMedicalCommunication/AHDIAnswersFAQsAboutMedicalTranscription/tabid/243/Default.aspx

- How much do Medical Transcriptionists make?
The median annual wage of medical transcriptionists was $32,900 in May 2010.
bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Medical-transcriptionists.htm#tab-1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

32 months ago

P. in Atlanta, Georgia said: The electronic medical record really has nothing to do with transcription. The doctors are able to sign the reports electronically and access quite a bit of the patient record through advanced computer systems. From what I've seen, it's really rare that voice recognition does as good of a job that they say it does. I've listened to VR reports where the doctor has clearly said the patient was a male in the beginning but if they slur when the say "he" during the report, it comes out as "she". Of course the word is spelled correctly but the text is wrong so you still need a transcriptionist, or in the case of VR, an editor , to fix it.

Voice Recognition is a part of MT, and eventually, there won't be a person after something like Powerscribe. You'll have docs doing their own reports and so much of the MT business is off-shored now.

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

32 months ago

I really hate it when the schools spam on here.

Los in Wadsworth, Ohio

28 months ago

Maureen in West Bloomfield, Michigan said: Do you mean andrewsschool.com or Andrews/Holbrook (A&H)?

A&H is terrible. I just got my certificate from them. All of their keys are incorrect throughout the whole process. Can't be used for further transcription jobs down the line. Like working with a dyslexic company. Terrible. Wound not recommend. Cost was outrageous for what I got.

Amanda in Gardnerville, Nevada

10 months ago

It is getting harder and harder to enter this field with speech recognition software and electronic health records. The medical transcription job has evolved into more of a medical transcription editing job- editing reports generated from voice dictation software. That's where I would focus if I were to start over now. Get training that includes editing from an AHDI (a medical transcription association) approved school, then take the Registered Healthcare Documentation Specialist (RHDS) exam to become nationally certified. National certification is not required but may help you stand out when applying for jobs. There are other careers to consider too like medical coding and billing or medical records technician. These are office jobs though- not work from home jobs. There are some work at home jobs in medical coding and billing but not very many and you usually have to work in an office for a while before you can work from home.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.