Medical Transcriptionist needed in cincinnati Ohio area

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 70 of 70)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

allie palazzi in Nashville, Tennessee

61 months ago

Sharlene Joe said: I am a recent graduate of penn foster in medical transcriptionist and I am having trouble finding a job. Because they require experience. And I don't have any.

Try E-trans plus --- on the web. It is here in Nashville and they often hire new grads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cindyoh in Dayton, Ohio

51 months ago

Well, this thread is far more honest and informative than the other threads on this medical transcription forum. I've been transcribing 35 years now, doing well enough at home full time as a second shifter with my midsized present company but am amazed like others here that people are still spending a lot of money to learn this profession at these schools. I was hoping to be able to do what I do until I can retire but am not optimistic that will happen. I feel for these uninformed newbies. I'm glad I was able to at least persuade my insurance lady not to waste too much money, time or energy at the local community college. She was believing she could switch from running her insurance agency to medical transcription at home full time to pay her bills, and she thanked me for the heads-up. Not sure what I will do between now and retirement. I'm 56 and have a mother who will certainly need more of my attention as time goes on as she has Alzheimer's. As far as college courses go, I'm not remotely interested in accounting or even nursing at this point in my life but know I need to be finding something to make my resume look more interesting. Anyway, I wish you all luck in your futures.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cindyoh in Dayton, Ohio

51 months ago

Carol Piper in South Burlington, Vermont said: Umm, not to rain on anyone's parade, but Spheris is history, and was bought out my MedQuist. Terrible company - we were bought out in April. At first things didn't seem so bad, and I was thankful to be able to keep my job and my account, but it has gone downhill rapidly. So far I have been lied to by this company, and am totally disillusioned.....they "hired" us at our same pay rate, which I breathed a sigh of relief. Now a little more than 90 days later they have come out with their "MT Rewards," more like MT Rip-Off. I have an awesome supervisor and they will probably take her away next. I'm already working a couple things that after 10 years in this field will take me as far and as fast as I can away from this career....SR has ruined it for a lot of us. Someone making the pay decisions should REALLY listen to/try to do this stuff.

I feel for you. I left Spheris about 2 years ago after 9 years with them. Had my pay not been cut in half, I may have stayed but really hated that Cornerstone VR program, never did get the hang of it, not to mention the awful almost totally ESL account they stuck me with just before I left (had a very nice bunch of Texas hospital accounts before that and loved my work). I got out before Spheris fell completely and have been with Diskriter for about 2 years now. I'm in a comfortable account and hope I'll be able to survive at this company but who knows these days?

Carolp in East Freetown, Massachusetts

51 months ago

It's not that I hate the VR work, it's the attitude that it's not worth as much pay, and just doesn't pay as well as straight transcription. I have been on my account so long I can actually type some reports faster than fix a bunch of errors made by VR. It also seems that upper management thinks there is not as much skill/knowledge needed to do VR. I think one actually needs more to pick up the subtle differences that can make a big difference in the quality/accuracy of the record. I have seen VR type beers for liters more than once, and peritoneal vs. perineal and other soundalikes mixed up. I probably am not as quality conscious as I was at one time, but my feeling is "ya get what ya pay for." I check vitals and other stats carefully, but as for absolute perfection.... guess they don't want to pay for it. Very sad. I will probably leave this field I so love within the next year as I am already working PT somewhere else, and had to go PT with Medquist to do it. For now, it's a matter of surviving. Very sad!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stacey in Brooksville, Florida

51 months ago

Black Beauty in Miami Gardens, Florida said: So is everyone convinced that there is no use in attending medical transcription school?

Yes! Don't go for Transcription. I'm telling you from experience there are no jobs and I put in a lot of effort to obtain a job. I lost my long time account to voice recognition. I gave up and now I am currently in a nursing program. Go for billing/coding. Medical billing courses usually have a lot of the same classes as Transcription classes, it pays better and you can usually complete the course in about 1 year.

Stacey in Brooksville, Florida

51 months ago

Tina in Conway, Arkansas said: The opportunities use to be there. You are lucky you still make $20-$25/hour. I use to average anywhere from $20-$30 myself. I had worked on an account for 6+ years. Then disaster...switch to VR and cut pay in half! When one types 100+ wpm, there is no way that the VR rate can compare to the transcription rate. Not to mention the fact that they are sending the easy dictators to India and keeping the crappier dictators for USA.

I have been a transcriptionist for nearly 20 years...no raises, no bonuses, no medical insurance, no retirement. Oh how I wish I had taken the accounting/payroll job I was offered instead of going on with medical transcription 15+ years ago. I'd be so much further ahead...possibly looking at retirement! As it stands, I will be working till the day I die and making less than I did when I began!

I checked out MTdaily and every single listing was a dead end for me and I had a lot of experience and wonderful referrences. The reality is that... yes, there are still people that have good jobs (and I'm very happy for them), but for all of these poor girls who are being fed a bunch of bull from schools just wanting their money...don't fall for it!!! The Medical Transcription field is coming to an end! Very sad, but very TRUE!

tosham in Farson, Wyoming

50 months ago

Be thankful you have a job, its better than no income.

Caroline in Akron, Ohio said: If you go to MTDAILY.com you can find an occasional job that takes new grads. I have been doing transcription off and on since 1989 and it is a thankless, low paying job. My last stint in transcription was in 2004 when my husband died and I wanted to work at home. After 4 years of being destitutely poor I now work in a hospital for $12 an hour, which is also terrible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alia70 in Cincinnati, Ohio

48 months ago

I just got enrolled in MT program. The books don't look that bad. But after reading all this , I am disappointed. I have paid in full for the program. What should I do at this point?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sylvia Grace in Akron, Ohio

46 months ago

I had transcribed for 11 years for a hospital and made excellent money, good benefits and really enjoyed transcribing. Than all of a sudden in December of 2010 the hospital pulled the rug out of our whole department and announced they were outsourcing to a service and that our jobs were no more. There were ladies there with 25 years service and more and we worked dilligently for this hospital doing whatever it was they asked us to do. They completely lied to us and promised we would have a job with this company they were outsourcing to. All but 4 girls took the job because of the state of the economy, and we needed our jobs. We were promised our same schedules that we worked at the hospital. Then lo and behold, when we started with this company, when we signed on for our shift, none of us would "ever" receive work. If we did, it was 3 or 4 jobs then there would be no more work. When we would ask what to do, all they would tell us was to check back. They required us to do a certain line count for straight typing and of course a certain line count for VR. But because we were not getting any work, it was impossible to meet those requirements. Yet they would E-mail us every week and want to know why our line count was down. Each time I received this E-mail I would E-mail them back and ask them "how can I produce a line count when you are not giving us any work to produce a line count from?" We never got an answer to that question. So then they started firing all of us. We found out they were sending the majority of the work overseas and leaving us with the crumbs. There are only 4 girls left from our initial 32 girls and 3 more were let go last week. It was and is very sad. All of us were exceptional transcriptionists. I use to type at least 2100 lines a day, only to end up like this. Some of us girls did have a consultation with an attorney when all of this started happening and he told us before the firing started that it sounded like collusion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cindyoh in Dayton, Ohio

46 months ago

Excellent honest testimonial for everybody to read, Sylvia. This is where our professions have gone. I'm right now with Diskriter (a midsized company in PA that treats us pretty well) for the past 2 years. As I said elsewhere on this forum, I've been transcribing 35 years, the past 15 from home. Worked at SEMC in Dayton, OH for 18 years, then went to EDIX/Medquist before SEMC closed its doors, then on to Spheris (fine there for 8 years before they figured a way to cut our pay in half), then to Diskriter. Doesn't matter how good you are or how long you've been doing this job, these monster companies are taking over. I have another 9 years left to work before I can retire. I keep hoping things will make full circle and these hospitals will go back to hiring locally, as I live very close to Kettering Medical Center, but I'm not holding my breath. I love what I do but watch the hospital job openings, hoping maybe to get my foot in the door doing something different just for the hourly pay again. Makes me tired. I wish you and all your coworkers well and hope you all find employment. Do check out the midsized companies. I can't complain about Diskriter and can only hope they will continue to do right by us but who knows in these times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ellie in Youngstown, Ohio

40 months ago

Michelle Springer in Circleville, Ohio said: I have just completed a Medical Transcrption course through At Home Professions and I am looking for transcription work that I can do in the evenings at home. Any ideas? I have worked in the Workers Compensation field since 1992 and in the last 4 years, I have worked for an Independent Medical Examiantion company, reviewing reports on Workers Compensation claims on a daily basis, that included diagnostic tests, op reports, consultation reports, office notes, etc. I am very anxious to get started and hope to find something very soon.

I am considering going into medical Transcription with At Home Professions. How was your experience with them? Have you secured a job?

Laur74 in Chatham, New Jersey

39 months ago

Jan Ruzowski in Amarillo, Texas said: Your post makes me real sad. I am in the middle of taking the medical transcription course and have been so excited about it. I am wanting to supplement my income so I would only be doing it part-time. After reading your post, I am very sad and discouraged. Does everyone else feel the same???

Me too! I am midway through the MT program and after hearing all of these posts I feel like a made a poor choice in two ways.. Waste of time and money.

cindyoh in Dayton, Ohio

39 months ago

This is kind of a followup to my statements above. What I didn't mention was the very likely takeover of my hospital account in Michigan by EPIC, an expensive EMR system that has eliminated transcription jobs. It truly does not matter how experienced you are, this is just a harsh reality and why some of you need to look into courses other than medical transcription.

If you guys will go read at the MT Stars website under company forum, you can see what I mean or please do google information about EPIC and systems like it. Many good transcribers have lost their in-hospital jobs almost overnight once a system like EPIC is fully rolled out. I guess I need now to seriously get back into job hunting yet again, and I was just beginning to feel okay about myself after nearly three years at Diskriter. I had the feeling my own supervisor did not have a clue about the EMR systems.

Anyway, good luck to all of you!

Ghostwriter in Rockwood, Michigan

38 months ago

The money is gone is MT work. Working in Michigan, area Hospitals have closed because of population loss and lack of Medical Insurance.

Right now, Coding is the better choice, but it will probably be computerized away too! First we lost jobs overseas, then we lost jobs to computers.

You can find all the jobs you want for slave labor rates. What really is neeeded is protection against outsourcing our Medical Records information to Foreign countries. You can not guarantee Privacy outside our USA borders and even then, things get Hacked.

whistlingdixie in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

38 months ago

This profession is over, done, wrapped and thrown out to the heavens. Yes, we still need transcriptionists but who is willing to work as slave labor to the transcription companies who makes $10+ on each and every report while you are absolutely killing yourself for your $0.45 per line pay. This is dispicable. And unfortunately the Department of Labor is only interested if you are earning less than minimum wage. The lines are not verifiable. It is not less than slave labor. I would venture to say that most of us came from a time when you could earn a decent living, i.e. $30,000 at least a year and now we are killing ourselves, for a grand totall of approximtely $24,000. It is not an enjoyable job any longer, it is a blood sport just trying to earn enough for the basics! Do not go into medical transcription ever! and for that matter, it is not transcription any longer, it is medical editing!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leslie in Washington, District of Columbia

38 months ago

whistlingdixie in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: This profession is over, done, wrapped and thrown out to the heavens. Yes, we still need transcriptionists but who is willing to work as slave labor to the transcription companies who makes $10+ on each and every report while you are absolutely killing yourself for your $0.45 per line pay. This is dispicable. And unfortunately the Department of Labor is only interested if you are earning less than minimum wage. The lines are not verifiable. It is not less than slave labor. I would venture to say that most of us came from a time when you could earn a decent living, i.e. $30,000 at least a year and now we are killing ourselves, for a grand totall of approximtely $24,000. It is not an enjoyable job any longer, it is a blood sport just trying to earn enough for the basics! Do not go into medical transcription ever! and for that matter, it is not transcription any longer, it is medical editing!!!

Surely you meant $0.045 per line, not $0.45 (45 cents) per line. If I were getting 45 cents per line, I could dump my day job and survive on my part-time MT job.

Becky D in Gulfport, Mississippi

38 months ago

Amen, sister! Somewhere along the line, these profiteering raiders called MTSOs, sold the idea that editing should be paid at less than the transcribed line rate - that, somehow, it requires less skill to edit a report than to transcribe it??? If this is so, they why are editors and proofreaders in the publishing industry still in the $40,000 and up pay range? And they don't even know a second language? What has been done is no less than CRIMINAL - the problem is that the MTSOs have been very clever in covering their backsides, so how do you prosecute it? I hope someone figures it out and buries these MTSOs in lawsuits.

John in Chandler, Arizona

37 months ago

Wow. I'm so glad I found this page. Even if it's true that the end's not here for some MT, the outsourcing and voice recording technology argument is compelling. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope things turn out well for everyone. With the advent of all of these new schools it seems like it will just get worse. Experienced MTs are getting laid off and new fresh from school MTs coming in as the job market for this is shrinking. I know this is happening with other professions as well (can you say liberal arts major?).

I remember reading about a new type of guaranteed 6 figure double-major financial analyst type job. And there were 3 colleges offering this program. Word spread and next year every college in the country had this program. And then started to produce much much more grads than there were jobs. It just makes me think that schools at all levels don't care. They are a business and their number one priority is to make money. They don't care what happens after you graduate. Student beware.

Sorry if I made any errors! I've been up all night and my eyes are like blah after reading so much all night. But I'm so glad I did because I eventually stumbled on pages like this. Good luck to everyone and please think twice before going into this field.

Bonus: Btw, I did do as was suggested earlier and did a craigslist search of MT jobs in my city (Phoenix). There were none. But, I have found 3 pedals for sale... And another pedal for sale bundled with, yep, medical transcription books! Pretty scary to say the least.

cindyoh in Dayton, Ohio

37 months ago

John in Arizona, good for you for reading all the comments. I think forums like this can be great for practical advice. I don't know how old you are but I wish you well in finding a profession/career you can make a decent living with. At my age of 58, I'm not keen on going back to school so will hang in there as long as I can as a transcriber, but I've sure been reading other forums for the practical help. I'm thinking I'd do just as well at my age with a few part-time jobs locally that don't involve transcription. I just want to pay the mortgage off, ha-ha. Again, good luck to you.

Bobbie in Chicago Ridge, Illinois

36 months ago

ColleenCollect in Somerville, Massachusetts said: go to www.mtjobs.com they have many jobs listed. rather than focusing on the fact u have no experience, take the test. you might do better than u think.

Thanks Colleen for mentioning that site :), I also like www.medicaltranscriptionjobs.org for finding jobs. Best of Luck to You! ;)

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.