Medical transcription vs Medical coding and what's the best online school?

Comments (1 to 50 of 155)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Nik in Wedowee, Alabama

94 months ago

I am interested in either taking medical transcription or coding online and Ashworth University is one of the schools I have been researching. I like the price of it, although I was hoping to get a loan or grant as I am "financially challenged" right now. I have also been looking at Career Step (which does offer loan assistance but no grants and the price is twice Ashworths) and Everett Community College (accepts FASFA and has Pell Grant and price is 4X Ashworth) Can you or anyone give me any further info about any of these schools? I am subscribing to several forums and reading everything I can get my hands on about both fields. I did go to technical school back in the 70's and took Clerical. I haven't been in office work for quite some time - divorce put me in the mills to be able to support myself for a while, and after I remarried, I moved to a small town where the only work I could get was in mills or restaurants. I currently have an accurate typing speed of about 50 wpm, so will have to work on getting my speed up as well. As I get older, mill work is getting harder on my physically, and restaurant work is too low paying and frustrating, so I am committed to getting the education I need to improve my lifestyle. I am unable to take all the courses I need at the nearby community college and can't get to the other campuses, so the online route is my only viable option, I just want to make the right choice. I would like to hear from MTs and MCs and what are the pros and cons of both? Thanx for any help!

Billie in Reno, Nevada

75 months ago

It's clear across the country. ;)

Billie in Reno, Nevada

75 months ago

I chose to do the Gold program. I had intentions of upgrading to Platinum, but was working before I ever had the chance too. I've heard nothing but amazing things about the graduate support and job placement assistance offered through the Platinum program, though. =)

Jenn in Los Angeles, California

75 months ago

momma6 in Freeland, Pennsylvania said: Which program did you finish at CS?

I had the platinum course, but I never utilized the career assistance. I had a job before even graduating. Personally, if I had to do it again, I would go with gold and save a lot of money. All I got for my $200 was a list of companies (some of which no longer hire CS grads). The same list of companies could have been found by searching the CS forum. I did receive a couple of emails from CS notifying me of companies that were hiring. Of course, all the platinum grads received the same emails, so the companies received tons of resumes for only a few openings. I did better searching for jobs on my own. I did try to get help with my resume, but CS never responded to my emails. For me, it was a complete waste of money and I wish I instead would have spent the money on an expander or good headphones. I tell most perspective students to get the gold as you can always upgrade to platinum later (I believe even after graduation) if you decide you need the assistance.

Of course, those selling the CS course who make commision from having you sign up under them will tell you the platinum course is a great deal.

Asri Joda in Lake Forest, California

75 months ago

I am currently taking online medical coding class from allied school. But, before you take any expensive medical classes you will need to find out which medical career is more valuable for you. Good information, check it out here.

www.medicalcodingcourses.com/compare-career.asp

nspringer05 in Fairview, Oregon

75 months ago

Billie:

How frustrating. I graduated from Penn Foster's medical transcription program in December 2008, and I'm having a heck of a time finding any company that hires new grads. Is it truly a lost cause?

Nicole

Billie in Reno, Nevada

75 months ago

Hi Nicole,

Send me an e-mail (bcharmed01 at yahoo dot com). I'm having problems with my spam folder, so try again if you don't hear from me within a couple of days.
Give me an idea of what steps you have already taken.

Don't give up. =)

MariaMartinez1 in Oakland, California

74 months ago

Try allied school offers financial programs also,

www.medtranscriptioncourse.com/

Musiciantype in Lake Worth, Florida

74 months ago

I am thinking of taking the medical transcription course at Career Step. I have always used an Apple computer and I was wondering if it is possible to use this computer in this career?

Billie in Reno, Nevada

74 months ago

Musiciantype,
I really don't know. But, the school should be able to answer that question. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call and ask. =)

CS Grad

74 months ago

I know some have done the CS course using a Mac with no issues. The problem comes when job hunting. Most companies' platforms are not compatible with Mac. You would be limiting your job oportunities if you did not have a PC.

Amzie in New Durham, New Hampshire

74 months ago

Hello.

I am a student with Allied Schools. I am studying MT. I am a good typist but the problem is figuring out what they are saying! Having a bit of a tough time. I enjoy it but get frustrated because I only get some limited help over the phone. I am wondering if anyone knows whether transcription or coding is easier to learn for someone new to the medical field? Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

getitrightMT in Spring, Texas

74 months ago

Just know that the AHDI is not an accredited body, they only get you certified but do not regulate schools. The website is a paid sponsored link (they pay to get on there) They are NOT accredited by the AHDI so their classes will not transfer and they are not considered a school through the US Department of Education or the Distance Education Training Council (DETC.
Remember to always look for Nationally Accredited and look at the syllabus. Please go to detc.org an enter in the schools name first to see if they are accredited first before you waste the time and money. I dont see Career step on there at all. I chose Allied Schools. I'll let you know how it turns out. So far I'm learning alot and they have alot of ways to help you learn everything as well.

Billie in Reno, Nevada

74 months ago

getisrightMT,

I wish you much success in this field, but wanted to point out a few things.

Please know that Medical Transcription, in itself, is not a degree. Therefore, accreditation is not necessary. You can go through an accredited program if you plan on putting those credits toward a future degree. However, if you major in something other than the medical field, those credits will most likely be used as extracurricular credits.

First of all, Career Step is partnered with MANY community colleges. They teach the Career Step course in a college setting, allowing the student to receive the CS training while receiving credits through an accredited program. In other words, if accreditation is important to you, Career Step is still an option. A friend of mine is taking this route. She is taking the Career Step course through our local community college. She receives the same training I did, but has the credits should she want/need them in the future.

Your right, AHDI is not an accredited body. Again, though, Medical Transcription is not a degree. AHDI does, however, set the standards for MT courses. Students can be sure that any course on their approval list has proven to provide the requirements necessary to get started in the MT field. Most employers require years of experience OR graduation from an AHDI-approved school. They know that students from these courses produce competent entry-level medical transcriptionists.

Career Step is AHDI-approved and students DO have the option of taking their course through an accredited program. Allied schools is accredited, but not AHDI-approved.

Amzie in New Durham, New Hampshire

74 months ago

Hi.

As I wrote yesterday, I stated I was taking MT at Allied Schools. I am almost finished and considering taking MCoding. I am wondering if Allied or Career Step has a better program. Please help...Thanks :)

74 months ago

Billie,

Thanks for the note...but I'll take my chances with going to an accredited school, why waste the time and money on a school that the employer may not even recognize. You say many schools use the CS program? Who? to name a few? I'm sure that employers want the school to be accredited more than they want this AHDI approved program. I'm sure there are other programs as well that help set the "standards" for MT, not just AHDI.

Amzie,
I advise you to do your research before you make your decision. I am currently attending Allied Schools, I just started so I cant get you all the details you need but I feel the books and CD's really helped me learn everything better. Take your time and just look into what program will work best for you.

Billie in Reno, Nevada

74 months ago

Amzie,

I missed your question. Sorry about that. You ask "if anyone knows whether transcription or coding is easier to learn for someone new to the medical field?" I don't know a lot about coding. I've always worked in the transcription field. I can tell you that, as with everything else, practice makes perfect. It will take time to "train your ear" to the medical terminology. Depending on how the course is setup, after completing several reports go back and do one of the first few. You'll be surprised at how much better you did the second time around, after having more practice.

Best of luck! =)

Billie in Reno, Nevada

74 months ago

Getitright,

Everett Community College - www.everettcc.edu
"The Medical Coding Online and Medical Transcription Program use a building-block curriculum published for Everett Community College (EvCC) by Career Step."

Great Basin Community College of Northern Nevada - gbcnv.edu
"GBC partners with Career Step of Springville, Utah, to deliver all MTRN (Medical Transcription) courses online."

To name a few. AHDI-Approval and Accreditation. =)

Again, I wish you much success, but please remember that I took the CS course, graduated, and was working less than a week after graduation. I hope you have the same success, but I can guarantee you that employers recognize Career Step.

Proof? Here are links to some of the larger National MT employers:

Medquist: "To be considered for employment, applicants must have one year of recent work experience as a medical transcriptionist or must be a recent graduate of an AAMT certified transcription program." - www.medquist.com/Default.aspx?tabid=189 (As I'm sure you know, AHDI was formerly known as AAMT (American Association of Medical Transcription). Many still refer to AHDI as AAMT. Feel free to look it up)

Sten-Tel: "If you do not have experience in the medical transcription industry, it is strongly recommended that you complete a quality medical transcription program. Click here for more information on medical transcription training." - By clicking on the link you are taken here: sten-tel.com/mt_schools.asp

Focus Infomatics: If I remember correctly, the have a list of approved schools, but you may have to start the application process or call in order to get it. Either way, their website directs you to the Career Step program in the event that you need education: jobs-focusinfomatics.icims.com/jobs/intro

I have more, but am running out of room.

By the way, Allied Schools has a B- Rating with the Better Business Bureau. Career Step has an A+ bbb.org

Jennifer in Salt Lake City, Utah

74 months ago

Hi Nik,

Anyone who has done transcription can tell you that your arms, wrists and fingers will hurt from all of the typing. You need to be familiar with Medical Terminoloy and spelling and must be fast, responsive and willing to get things right the first time. It's a lonely job as you usually work in your own quiet office, with headset on and foot pedal to control the tape speed. Most companies look for people that can type 60+ words per minute as you get paid by the word or line.

Coding is based on how the doctor treats the patient, understanding the procedure codes, modifiers, diagnosis codes and insurance carrier specific rules to your state, taxonomy code and provider specialty. You don't need to go to school for either of these jobs however; work experience is usually required before you can get through someones door to get hired (unless you are really persuasive in the interview process).

Certified Coders do require schooling however; most doctors won't hire you on just out of school because you learn the "overview" of how to code usually not speicfic to the doctors practice and they usually like to train people themselves. Of course every company is different in what they look for when hiring people :).

If you think that coding is right for you visit www.videotrainingpro.com/ and scroll down to view the free medical billing training videos. Basic Billing Videos, Advanced Billing and Collections would be more of what a coder / biller would handle in job responsibilities.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer
www.videotrainingpro.com/
www.medicalbillingsoftwarepro.com/
www.askamedicalbiller.blogspot.com/

74 months ago

Billie,

Thanks, for the info on CS. I'm sure decisions will be made appropriately for anyone who is looking for the best school for them to sign up to. Oh, and I did look at the BBB rate for CS and Allied, I am very aware of the B- rating. I also looked at how long they where a member of the BBB too. CS since 2001, Allied has been with the BBB since 1997. I'm sure over that amount of time its hard to maintain even that rating. They must be doing something right. I think we can agree the challenge will be to find someone to hire a newby after they finish the program. So with that said if we choose the correct program for us and then make sure we a taking care of our end of the deal by learning our material to the best of our ability so that transition can possibly go a bit easier. I wish all the best in their careers. I'm glad to hear CS worked out for you as well Allied is working out for me.

james jonava in san francisco, California

73 months ago

Hi Billie,

You can easily compare the medical transcription and coding just by going here, www.medtranscriptioncourse.com/compare-career.asp. Hope this would help.

CS Grad in North Hollywood, California

73 months ago

getitrightMT in Spring, Texas said: Billie,

Thanks for the note...but I'll take my chances with going to an accredited school, why waste the time and money on a school that the employer may not even recognize. You say many schools use the CS program? Who? to name a few? I'm sure that employers want the school to be accredited more than they want this AHDI approved program. I'm sure there are other programs as well that help set the "standards" for MT, not just AHDI.

Actually, most national employers do only look at AHDI-approved schools. Accreditation of schools in this industry means little unless you are going to continue your education towards a HIM degree and can transfer credits. I don't know anything about the Allied program other than from the many posts I read from their grads who can't seem to find jobs. When someone asks me, I recommend M-Tec or Andrews for the simple fact that their grads get jobs and succeed in the workplace.

lala in Yakima, Washington

73 months ago

Penn Foster is actually a member of the AHDI

Josh79 in Glendale, Colorado

73 months ago

From AHDIonline.org: "Membership requires only payment of membership dues... in no way represents an endorsement for these programs by AHDI." Just about anyone or any school can be a member of AHDI. Being an approved course, however, is an entirely different category.

avonbloom in Avon, Connecticut

73 months ago

I am also trying to decide which training program to go with....what do you know about TRS Institute? It is an approved program on the AHDI website, and they have a self-paced program, and they claim 100% of their graduates are employed.

Rileigh in Helena, Montana

71 months ago

I'm a stay at home mom and I have been looking at MT for a little over a year, but now I'm wondering if Medical Transcription or Medical Coding and Billing would be better for me? I want to be able to work from home without having to work on site for 2 years. Does anyone know which program would be better for me, or any schools which have better programs? So far I have been looking at Career Step and Allied, although Allied won't give any prices or anything without you calling them, and right now I'm just comparing and dont want to get calls from them every 10 min! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

taguse0 in Montgomery, Alabama

70 months ago

I just started the medical billing and coding program with Penn Foster online school. The tuition is less than other schools I looked at and they let you put any downpayment and monthly payments you want (I did 50.00 down payment and 100 a month)

Cojo in Florence, South Carolina

70 months ago

But they don't do anything to help you find employment like other places do. I found that out the hard way after completing the course.

Lisgolden in West Bloomfield, Michigan

70 months ago

Stephanie in Birmingham, Alabama said: I am in my 13th month of school for medical transcription with MTEC found at www.mtecinc.com which was the first online school to be accredited by AHDI. I looked into CareerStep when searching for a school, and I dont know very much about it but it was my impression that they did not offer courses long enough to learn this skill. Now over a year into this, I see that nothing short of a 12-18 month course could ever completely qualify you to step directly into the workplace. Choose the school that satisfies your needs, but in my humble opinion, you get what you pay for!

Stephanie, how much time are you putting into the MTec course? YOu say you are in your 13th month here...is that part time, full time, or what?

70 months ago

Billie in Winnemucca, Nevada said: Many at-home employers will not hire graduates of Penn Foster's Medical Transcription course.

Most employers require years of exerience. HOWEVER, many will waive this requirement if you graduate from an AHDI 'approved' school.

AHDI is the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity - www.ahdionline.org (formerly known as the American Association for Medical Transcription). AHDI sets the standards for MT courses. Employers know that graduates of these 'approved' courses have gained the skills necessary to begin their career as an MT.

If your looking into Medical Transcription pay the extra in tuition to attend an 'approved' school. When I was researching school options, I called several MT employers. I spoke to their Human Resources departments and asked about getting started in the field. All of them recommended attending an AHDI approved program. Many people have received training through inadequate programs only to find out that they are unable to find a job.

I attended Career Step ( mteducationonline.com ) and recieved a job (at-home) less than a week after graduating. I've received several more job offers since, but have stuck with my original employer. It can be a difficult job, but I love it!

I recommend CS because they are partnered with MANY employers, self-paced (you can finish in a few months or take as long as over a year or two), and more affordable than the other top 2 courses. Plus, I have personal experience (and success) with the program.

Attending your local community college will give you a good chance at a job in-house, but if you are wanting to work from home, an online 'approved' course is the way to go.
Good luck!

Billie, someone made a comment that a quick school under a year will not give you the training necessary to go out and get a job. Did you find this true with carrer step? I am deciding between carreer step and mtec. any help is appreciated...

Billie in Reno, Nevada

70 months ago

Lisgolden,

Good Morning! I had responded to that statement after it was posted. In case you missed it, I'm going to copy and paste my response below. If you have any additional questions, let me know!

~Billie

"I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this. I was able to finish my training in less than 12-18 months, and have had nothing but success in this field. In fact, I was working less than a week after graduating from the CS course.

MTEC is a good program and I wish you much success in your search for employment. However, because Career Step is partnered with multiple employers, on average their graduates are able to find employment sooner than those of other courses.

The course is self-paced and you get out of it what you put into it. I put a lot of work into the course and received multiple job offers. My employers are very impressed with my skills.

Also, the reason Career Step's course is cheaper than the other AHDI approved courses is because the founder, Andrea Anaya, wanted to keep it affordable. She knew that most students were signing up for the course in hopes of finding employment after graduation. Many of them needed a job that would allow them to stay home with their kids and generate an income for the family. Those needing an income, may not have much money in the first place. Therefore, Anaya wanted to keep the course affordable.

As I said, MTEC is also a reputable school, but I am completely satisfied with the training I received through Career Step (and so are my employers).

I wish you much success in this field and in finding employment after graduation."

70 months ago

Billie thanks so much for your reply, as it helped me a lot. I needed to hear that about CS. I think I will look into it further. Also I have a medical backgroud as I used to work as a nurse anesthetist. M-Tec had provisions for those with medical degrees. Do you have any feelings about me having a nursing background as far as compatibility with CS? Were you totally happy with the program, did you receive your materials timely, and so on. Please let me know more about the CS program because CS is half the price of the M-Tec program, but I just want to make sure you are not half as well qualified when you get out. One comment said that you get what you pay for...and that concerned me. Any negatives about the CS program? I appreciate all your honesty, help and time
.Fondly,
Laurie Golden

Billie in Reno, Nevada

70 months ago

Laurie,

I don't know about M-Tec, but given your medical background, you will be able to 'test out' of sections within the CS course that you are familiar with - such as Medical Word Building. You'll basically be given the opportunity to skip those sections and move on to the areas where you need more instruction.

The CS course takes a lot of self-discipline. It is self-paced, so unlike M-Tec and other courses, you will not be given deadlines. You'll need to work on your own time and learn from your mistakes. From what I have seen/heard, the majority of people who do not do well in the CS course are those who need more structure. However, remember that once you start working, you may find yourself in a similiar situation - needing to be self-motivated, with the company offering little-to-no structure.

Personally, I was completely happy with the CS course. There was always someone available to answer my questions and offer advice. I've had several family members and friends take the course, as well. They are partnered with my local college. The college teaches the CS course in a college setting.

Hope that helps!

james jonava in san francisco, California

70 months ago

I just started the medical coding program with Allied Medical online school. The tuition is less than any other schools I was searching around and even they let you put small down payment and monthly payments. And I guess the best part would be "Pass or Don't Pay" guaranteed by Allied School.

www.medicalcodingcourses.com
www.medtranscriptioncourse.com

Shayla in Rancho Cordova, California

69 months ago

avonbloom in Avon, Connecticut said: I am also trying to decide which training program to go with....what do you know about TRS Institute? It is an approved program on the AHDI website, and they have a self-paced program, and they claim 100% of their graduates are employed.

Hi Avonbloom- I recently graduated from TRS and I enjoyed the education and thought the program was good (for the most part). They are AHDI-approved and use the SUM program. The claim that 100% of grads are employed is b.s.

I have been unable to find any work. I have tried most of the employers from all the lists of companies that are known to hire "newbies", so far most of the companies do not even acknowledge that I sent in a resume. The response rate is about 1 in 10. So far no offer of any work.

As others have mentioned on here, these schools are businesses and many seem to soften the harsh reality that "real-work experience" is what is wanted these days from MTs. I have had little help finding work through TRS (they gave a list of maybe 10 companies to check with and most were in-house, so you need to be in the area). I have noticed that all the schools put a happy spin on the negatives about this field. Not to discourage but I would pick another field if you havn't started school yet. MT work is stressful (98% accuracy at least) and the pay for even CMTs is low. Best I have seen is .10 cpl. Many of the hourly positions have been phased out as hospitals use national companies and no longer employ MTs in house.

I felt like I did alot of research on medical transcription before choosing this career but it seems like once your in it you hear much more than before. The vast majority of MTs that post on all the different forums say that this is a deadend career with low pay and super high expectations, but you get to work from home if you can ever find a job =)

WAHmomTo2 in Winnemucca, Nevada

69 months ago

Medical Transcription vs Medical Coding

Which career path you choose is dependent on your career goals. If you are looking for a job that you can do from home, medical transcription (MT) would probably be your best option. Over 80% of MTs work from home. Although you can work from home as a medical coder, it is not nearly as likely as an MT.

What does a medical transcriptionist do? A medical transcriptionist listens to doctor dictation and types it for the patient's medical record.

People generally get into medical coding because they have a medical background or because they want to get their foot in the door in a medical career. A medical coding job is a great start!

What does a medical coder do? A medical coder takes the patient's medical record and applies codes to the procedures and tools used. These codes are then used to bill insurance companies and patients.

Which online school is the best? Well Career Step of course! I love their courses! They offer both medical transcription adn medical coding courses. They have really been expanding on their medical coding course and now offer medical coding and billing for both inpatient and outpatient. I know that they partner with top employers in the industry and will even help you find a job after you graduate if you enroll in their Platinum course. They just started offering a demo of their course online. Its really awesome that you can go in and see what it would be like as a student in one of their courses. I will put links to their demos below in cas eanyone is interested!

Good luck!

Medical Transcription Demo- bit.ly/htGsG
Medical Coding and Billing Demo- bit.ly/mJsMQ

dmbaker1 in Cleveland, Ohio

69 months ago

Debbie in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: I have the same question - can anyone recommend a really good online school?

My daughter took an online course through Careersteps. I was very impressed with what a comprehensive program it was. I have been a medical transcriptionist for 20+ years. I would definitely recommend Careersteps.

wants2bhome in starke, Florida

69 months ago

I am a licensed massage therapist in florida. I currently am pregnant so the thought of working from home is a dream come true. I have many questions that I just can not seem to find the answers to. I also have been looking into career step for training. Is an online course really enough prep for the test? I would be greatful for any advice on the subject matter. As I said I am changing careers and its very scary to just jump into something.

musicalpam in Reno, Nevada

69 months ago

Hello,

I live in Reno Nevada. I am a Legal Secretary that just got laid off 2 weeks ago. I know you guys are talking about Medical Transcription vs. Medical Coding. I type 95 WPM ... so I wondered if you guys from Nevada could tell me what would be more profitable ... I obviously don't want to waste my time with the wrong program as I have 11 years experience. Is Truckee Meadows or UNR accredited schools? With my background in legal, what would be better for me?

Thank you for writing me back.
musicalpam@hotmail.com

Laura in Montana in Missoula, Montana

68 months ago

After 26 years in the customer service profession, I'm looking for a change. I'd at first considered Medical Coding but thought that it would be too boring/difficult to find employment locally/stuck between Doctors, insurance companies,and patients. Did I mention that I want a chance from customer service (getting yelled at :-) ). However, today I spoke with a local woman who runs an at-home Medical Transcription business and she said she thinks this is a dying field because of voice recognition software. She said coding is the way to go. I thought voice recognition software was still not up to par for the medical community needs? Anyone have a comment on that? I also attended a free MT seminar last night, sponsored by At Home Professions. $3000 for approximately 5 months of study. In reading through previous comment string, and checking the AHDI site (which doesn't list At Home Professions), I'm thinking this isn't the course to take but I'd be interested in comments from anyone who's familiar with them. Thanks! Laura

at home in Reading, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

***Hello all. This is my first time posting on a forum & would appreciate any feedback from you. I have been studying MT through At-Home Professions & I will soon have the course completed. I do feel they are very thorough with their instructions & student services support is wonderful. They are strick with their grading, but this is only for the benefit of the student/s. My question/s is/are, should I wait to have my diploma before job searching? What is the best way to "get your foot in the door"? Benefits of working for a hospital/dr. verses self-employed at home? I'm so torn on what is my next step. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I do not know of anyone else in this profession. Thank much!!

Brianna in Winnsboro, South Carolina

66 months ago

I went to Penn Foster...before I found out that everyone felt this way. I had known someone who went there for MT and graduated and found a job...so far I've been unsuccessful and feel very frustrated and like I wasted my money and 12months of my time. Does anyone know where I can apply for jobs? Or know of any one that would hire me? I'm back in school for Medical Assiting now and I have a lot of knowledge!!

niki mills in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

65 months ago

I think you should get an Associate Degree in Medical transcription or Health Information Technology. Check out Rasmussen College totally online.

www.rasmussen.edu

tell them you heard about it from Shannon W.

nkmills225@gmail.com

65 months ago

CS Grad in North Hollywood, California said: Actually, most national employers do only look at AHDI-approved schools. Accreditation of schools in this industry means little unless you are going to continue your education towards a HIM degree and can transfer credits. I don't know anything about the Allied program other than from the many posts I read from their grads who can't seem to find jobs. When someone asks me, I recommend M-Tec or Andrews for the simple fact that their grads get jobs and succeed in the workplace.

www.rasmussen.edu is accredited program in transription and health information technology and medical coding and billing its better to get a AAS Degree is entry level

nkmills225@gmail.com

65 months ago

Frank Garcia in Scottsdale, Arizona said: Hi Nik,

Listen I am an Enrollment Specialist, at an online college. We have a medical Billing and coding program. If you would like advice (And this goes for everyone on this forum) on what steps to take on getting into school. Send me an e-mail fgarcia@lac.edu. I would love to help all of you in figuring out your educational needs. Thanks for your time.

Frank Garcia

www.rasmussen.edu check it out

nkmills225@gmail.com

65 months ago

Debbie in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: I have the same question - can anyone recommend a really good online school?

www.rasmussen.edu

nkmills225@gmail.com

Let me know what you think about the programs.

Shannon W.

kiki929 in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Billie in Winnemucca, Nevada said:

Send me an e-mail at bcharmed 01 @ yahoo . com (remove spaces).

I've helped a few PF grads in their job search. It a bit more difficult, but there are a few options. =)

~Billie

Hi Billie, I was hoping to get some advice from you. I am looking into the Medical Transcription field as a second career. I have a Bachelors Degree but would like to stay home with my son & my current line of work doesn't allow me to. I have decided to go with Career Step but I am worried after reading entries on other forums that it is impossible to get a job in medical transcritions, working from home, making any money. Can you tell me about your experience with finding work after completeing Career Step's program? Are you making decent money? I don't expect to make $60K like I was but atleast a supplemental income. Also I was going to pay for the Platinum program, is that a waste of money? I was thinking of doing the Gold program & using the extra $200 to buy the text companion. Should I buy the Audio CD library too? Lastly, I was wondering how hard the program is? I can type pretty well, 65 wpm but I am worried about the medical terminology.

Thank you in advance for your time.

kiki929 in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Hi Jen, I am writing to both you and Billie as you both completed the Career Step program. I have a few questions & would like some advice. I am looking into the Medical Transcription field as a second career. I have a Bachelors Degree but would like to stay home with my son & my current line of work doesn't allow me to. I have decided to go with Career Step but I am worried after reading entries on other forums that it is impossible to get a job in medical transcritions, working from home, making any money. Can you tell me about your experience with finding work after completeing Career Step's program? Are you making decent money? I don't expect to make $60K like I was but atleast a supplemental income. Also I was going to pay for the Platinum program, is that a waste of money? I was thinking of doing the Gold program & using the extra $200 to buy the text companion. Should I buy the Audio CD library too? Lastly, I was wondering how hard the program is? I can type pretty well, 65 wpm but I am worried about the medical terminology.

Thank you in advance for your time.

musicalpam in Sparks, Nevada

64 months ago

Medical Terminology is easy ... you can get a book on it from Barnes 'N Noble. That's the easier part as far as I'm concerned. I would definitely make sure they help place you because some schools won't.

Billie in Kingman, Arizona

64 months ago

Hi Kiki!
I was lucky enough to be working less than a week after graduating. I would recommend calling the school and asking what percentage of graduates go on to work (from home) and what the average time frame is for accepting (different from receiving) an employment offer. They send out graduate surveys and should be able to answer those questions for you.

I worked as a Medical Transcriptionist for a couple of years. I enjoyed the work (learned something new everyday). It can be challenging and a bit difficult, but as with anything - practice makes perfect.

You can check this site, www.bls.gov/oco/ocos271.htm, for the latest MT statistics, including average wages. There are several factors which will determine your wage - WPM, whether you use a word expander, difficult of the account, how well you know the terminology, etc. For this reason, it's hard to determine just how much you, personally, will make, but it is possible to make a decent income from MT. I worked two accounts and there was a big difference in my average hourly wages between the two. One was a fairly easy account. The other consisted of several ESL dictators.

I've heard amazing things about the extras that come with the Platinum course, but have no personal experience with them. I purchased the Gold and had planned on upgrading soon after graduating, but had received a job offer (from one of my top choices) before I had the chance to. As for the text and audio upgrades, that depends on your own preferences. It is the exact same material you will find in the online course. I didn't buy any of it and never missed it. A friend of mine bought EVERYTHING. She used the text to study while on the road, lunch breaks at work, etc. She played the audio while cleaning around the house to help train her ear to the terminology. It's just personal preference.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.