Normal day

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Cassie in Junction City, Oregon

95 months ago

Hi my name is Cassie and i am doing a report on Medical Transcriptiony in my English class. I was wondering what a normal day would be like, what personal benefits you have and what economic benefits you have for being a Medical Transcriptionist.
Thank you for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bev chambers in Jeffersonville, Ohio

94 months ago

If you still need information, I would be more than happy to help you. I've been doing transcription for about 15 years now and have worked both from home and in clinic/hospital settings. My email is bchambers1@setel.com. Let me know if you still need info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

bev chambers in Jeffersonville, Ohio said: If you still need information, I would be more than happy to help you. I've been doing transcription for about 15 years now and have worked both from home and in clinic/hospital settings. My email is bchambers1@setel.com. Let me know if you still need info.

I would also like to know what a typical day looks like. I'm considering taking an MT course. I'm mother of two and would like to work from home while they are in school. Also, there's a community college in my area should i get training from them or an on-line course?
thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ColleenCollect in Boston, Massachusetts

87 months ago

i suggest u visit doc offices in the area, bring your resume, ask to speak to the office manger and offer to cover vacations and sick time. if u are good, word will travel fast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth Nygaard in Minneapolis, Minnesota

87 months ago

Cassie in Junction City, Oregon said: Hi my name is Cassie and i am doing a report on Medical Transcriptiony in my English class. I was wondering what a normal day would be like, what personal benefits you have and what economic benefits you have for being a Medical Transcriptionist.
Thank you for your time.

05/27/2008: Hi Cassie,
I have been medical transcriptionist for 30+ years and have watched medical transcription evolve from typing on manual typewriters and now typing on computers, using the internet to hear the vocal dictations for an acute care medical Center. I have done all acute care specialties for which I had a real passion. Now, with the advent of voice recognition systems, the entire industry is geared toward the metrics of it....how much one is able to type in a day and thus, is a very rushed detail oriented position. One must be able to withstand constant rushing in order to make enough money (paid by line now)to pay living expenses. Monetary compensation seems to vary state to state but from here, Minnesota, a recent job offer was for 8 cents per line. Good luck with your career choice.

Beth

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth Nygaard in Minneapolis, Minnesota

87 months ago

Wendy in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: I would also like to know what a typical day looks like. I'm considering taking an MT course. I'm mother of two and would like to work from home while they are in school. Also, there's a community college in my area should i get training from them or an on-line course?
thanks!

Hi Wendy,
I have been a medical transcriptionist for 30+ years and had on the job training, which I do not anyone has now. Taking a Medical Transcription course is a good idea. It is important for you to know also that Payment is usually by xx cents per line typed. It is a fast paced job, requiring much concentration and learning. The more one types, the more one makes...must be able to handle the pressure also, but good job for at home persons. I typed at home for 7 years, just got laid off, so looking for another job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Katy, Texas

86 months ago

This is a deadend job. Do not do medical transcription. The rate of pay keeps going DOWN. Twenty years ago, I made twice as much as I am being offered now to do transcription from home. It is a thankless job and the only way to make any decent money out of it is by production, quality is unimportant now. There is no pride in your work and no reward. Stop before it is too late. Working from home is killing you. Don't do it. Find something else, you will not regret it. Everything is going to voice recognition or overseas. Beware!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

yvette in Carriere, Mississippi

84 months ago

Can anyone direct me to a medical transcription job to work from home that trains you while working or know of a training that's affordable that will take less than 4 months to complete? Thanks so much for your help. I'm all brand new to this, desperate, need help and guidance soon. Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AllisonJ in Funk, Nebraska

82 months ago

Anonymous in Katy, Texas said: This is a deadend job. Do not do medical transcription. The rate of pay keeps going DOWN. Twenty years ago, I made twice as much as I am being offered now to do transcription from home. It is a thankless job and the only way to make any decent money out of it is by production, quality is unimportant now. There is no pride in your work and no reward. Stop before it is too late. Working from home is killing you. Don't do it. Find something else, you will not regret it. Everything is going to voice recognition or overseas. Beware!

How rude. How "bah humbug" of you Ms. Scrooge. Good Lord, with that kind of attitude, it's no wonder it didn't work out for you. Sorry for your experience but this profession is no closer to a "deadend" as I am to an early grave.

For your own benefit, I hope you have found work elsewhere doing something other than MT work, because if you have, you no longer need to be posting your negativity to the rest of us.

And FYI, I don't check this forum that often because there are entirely too many like yourself who are "bah humbug". That doesn't stop me from checking back every so often to see what's going on here. I really do wish the best for you but please, you have no reason to talk like that when it's very much not true. Read magazines, attend meetings, listen to the news once in a while, it could help your outlook.

^_^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Dallas, Texas

79 months ago

Anonymous in Katy, Texas said: This is a deadend job. Do not do medical transcription. The rate of pay keeps going DOWN. Twenty years ago, I made twice as much as I am being offered now to do transcription from home. It is a thankless job and the only way to make any decent money out of it is by production, quality is unimportant now. There is no pride in your work and no reward. Stop before it is too late. Working from home is killing you. Don't do it. Find something else, you will not regret it. Everything is going to voice recognition or overseas. Beware!

FINALLY! Someone who says something other than, "This is the best job ever!" I've been worried about the direction of medical transcription, since I'm considering going to school for it. Thanks for the input!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

MedTranHome in Washington

79 months ago

I've been doing medical transcription for 13 years and love every minute of it. I make a very good living at it and look forward to starting work every morning. I think some people just aren't well suited to it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

maggieb

78 months ago

I love transcription work especially doing it from home. However, out of nowhere the accounts I was working on just decided to start using Varian and Dragon software to do the work themselves. So with no warning, I am out of work. These were good accounts and replacing them will be hard. The online services do not seem to pay that well. I was getting 12 and 15 cents a line and had great doctors. Now I am basically unemployed overnight and looking. I also do get problems with my shoulder and my legs swell constantly. No, I am not trying to sound like a scrooge. But these are some of the realities of working from home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Katy, Texas

78 months ago

Unfortunately, all of the transcription companies are going to voice recognition and let me tell you the best you are going to do starting up on voice recognition (editing) is 4.5 cents a line. That's right. They are probably billing the hospitals at 12 to 15 cents a line, but they are only paying 4 to 4.5 to the voice recognition "editors." Of course you will see that you practically have to transcribe the entire text all over again to make it right and in order to change anything in the voice programs it takes a huge effort and it is impossible to spell check your work because anything you changed will not show up on the spell-checker, so good luck with that one. I believe that all transcription companies (excepting very few) will be going to voice recognition and probably have for several months, building up their voice files on each doctor to minimize the errors. I don't know how old you are, but if you are under 50 you should definitely look elsewhere, go back to school. Don't get stuck like I am, over 60, and no one willing to hire or train me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

maggieb

78 months ago

Hi "anonymous" in Katy, TX, thanks for your thoughts. I am exactly 50 and I have done lots of other things but most people now will look at my recent experience in MT and think I am not qualified for anything else. I am just still in shock. I have been in the workforce for 30+ years and have never been without a job unless it was my choice. I am open to any suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kevin / Pollys Dad in Gig Harbor, Washington

61 months ago

Beth Nygaard in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: 05/27/2008: Hi Cassie,
I have been medical transcriptionist for 30+ years and have watched medical transcription evolve from typing on manual typewriters and now typing on computers, using the internet to hear the vocal dictations for an acute care medical Center. I have done all acute care specialties for which I had a real passion. Now, with the advent of voice recognition systems, the entire industry is geared toward the metrics of it....how much one is able to type in a day and thus, is a very rushed detail oriented position. One must be able to withstand constant rushing in order to make enough money (paid by line now)to pay living expenses. Monetary compensation seems to vary state to state but from here, Minnesota, a recent job offer was for 8 cents per line. Good luck with your career choice.

Beth

You're hard to track down. Kevin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LoveLove in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

47 months ago

Hello, I've been taking the Medical Transcription thru Career Step off & on for about 2 years now & I am almost finished it's just so much to do toward the end in clinicals until being a busy mom with active kids makes it difficult to find time. I've been told that you can live in one state and work in another being a MT which is great, but what I have always wanted to know is: Is it possible in this day in time to still be able to get employed on a job, have a on job training & then gain employment that way? A friend of mine told me that she had a training and has been working as a MT for 12 years now, but she said that she doesn't know of anyone who still does in office training. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you so much, because I really, really need to work from home to be more available for my family & loved ones. Thank you and have a blessed day & life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

David Scott in Random Lake, Wisconsin

39 months ago

here is a really good article regarding medical transcription jobs. webvisionis.com/medical-transcription-jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

David Scott in Random Lake, Wisconsin

39 months ago

LoveLove in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: Hello, I've been taking the Medical Transcription thru Career Step off & on for about 2 years now & I am almost finished it's just so much to do toward the end in clinicals until being a busy mom with active kids makes it difficult to find time. I've been told that you can live in one state and work in another being a MT which is great, but what I have always wanted to know is: Is it possible in this day in time to still be able to get employed on a job, have a on job training & then gain employment that way? A friend of mine told me that she had a training and has been working as a MT for 12 years now, but she said that she doesn't know of anyone who still does in office training. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you so much, because I really, really need to work from home to be more available for my family & loved ones. Thank you and have a blessed day & life.

here is a really good article regarding medical transcription jobs. webvisionis.com/medical-transcription-jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Tarpon Springs, Florida

37 months ago

Don't do it unless you can survive the equivalent of 10 to 12 dollars an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Caasie in Katy, Texas

26 months ago

I agree whole heatedly. I was terminated without cauce after working for a very large company for 10 years without incident. Then I began to be called on the carpet for minor things. The reason for my termination was that I came up short one (1) report per hour and it was not in consecutive weeks. They are using speech recognition and want speed AND accuracy. The fact of the matter is that when you have to edit it takes time as the doctors mumble,chew gum, eat and everything In between whlle dictating. Not to mention the speech recognition picks up the conversations in the background and you must try to determine ifnthatnisnpart of the dictation or not. And yes, it is a thankless job. You have to work long hours just to make it worth your while.

I never received a raise. Instead, my pay declined every 6 months. They said because of speech recognition, the transcriptionist did not have to transcribe as mucho d it all balanced out. If it were not for my husband, I would have no insurance. Because of production thwy said I was ineligible for medical insurance. They. Insider the majority of us as part time but yet we were working 40'hours a week. I say, Don't do it! I worked from home as this is the way the company works. But it was not to any advantage pay wise. I receive a teNscription publication and it states that the jobs are being outsourced to over seas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.