Recent graduate from M-TEC Inc.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

andrea in New Windsor, New York

66 months ago

That is very discouraging. I am surprised that companies are not willing to waive the 2 year experience requirement since MTEC offers such a comprehensive program. Have asked anyone at the school about this? After reading negative posts about the difficulties of findng a job after graduation, I asked my instructor if it were true. She said there is a tremendous need for qualified MTs. The economy is so bad, so it might have some bearing on your difficulties. Also, you just graduated this month, so you might just need to give it a bit more time. But I would call your instructor and ask. She might have some tips for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Wheaton, Illinois

65 months ago

bchbum82 in Toledo, Ohio said: Hello,

I am a recent January graduate from M-TEC Inc with a 96% GPA from the Premier program. I have been finding it hard, as is the current theme, to find companies that will waive the 2+ years experience required.

I have all my own equipment and research materials. Slow still but very accurate and question everything I am unsure of.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
Regards,
Kristen

I am a radiology transcriptionist with 17 years of experience, and I got my first job at a SMALL hospital working SECOND SHIFT. Sometimes you have to take jobs that are less desirable when you are a newbie. Also, take online tests when you see on MTJobs.com and MTStars.com that a good company is hiring. If you do really well on the test they may take a chance on you. How do you know if it is a good company? Without experience, I would say to watch the forums on the above websites and see what is said OVER TIME about specific companies. Keep a journal of the ones who seem to have the best reputations. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

shasta in Atlanta, Georgia

65 months ago

well, here's my two cents. I'm taking a medical coding certificate course at the local community college here in atlanta. at first i was very optimistic about my employment oppurtunities. as i was talking to a lady who was in one of my classes, i asked her what her course of study was and she told me HIT( health information technology). she already has a career in the medical field. she told me that i am not going to be able to get a job as a coder. here is how she put it: "do you think some doctor who has been to school for 8 years is going to hire you with no experience to work in the office. she told me that the coder was basically responsible for "paying" the office. she said you need so much more knowledge than what they teach in a certificate program because you are a major player in the operation of the office. she told me that you can't get a job with a certificate in coding. the only way that you could get a job in coding (and you would still need medical background) was if you had a degree. the HIT program at my school is the degree program that would enable you to do real coding work. of course, i was distraught at learning this info and talked to one of my instructors. when i relayed what the other lady said she didn't bat an eye and said the woman was telling the truth. she said that i would need to search for jobs in Medical Records or work as a file clerk. and she did advise me to continue with my education and get my degree in HIT after i got my medical coding certificate. with the economy what it is, i wish people would be more truthful and realistic when giving advice to newbies in the medical field, like myself. another friend tried to console me and told me that this woman didn't know what she was talking about and not to listen to her. But basically, the teacher confirmed what the lady said and job searches seem to support what the lady told me also. so the silver lining is that i now know what to expect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

VLC Student in Deltona, Florida

62 months ago

I can't believe what I reading! An M-TEC recent graduate with a 96% GPA cannot find work?
Well,that is discouraging according to what is being posted in the MT chat forums you guys (MTEC, Andrews etc..) are the best programs online.
Nonetheless, here you are stating the opposite.
That's ashame with all that money spend and no job straight out of the course.
I'm so happy to have chosen VLC that's right you heard it VLC! The online course you MTEC and Andrews graduates talk so wrong of... Our comprehensive program had an internship program and workplacement program.
So let this be a lesson to those interested in MT Carreers. I am a student from this course and have seen many graduates from VLC go off to do the internship and be hired right after completing the program.
Is not the money you spend that counts is the right program with the right resources to help you become the best in the long run that counts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Kim L in El Dorado Hills, California

62 months ago

I am a recent January graduate from M-TEC Inc with a 96% GPA from the Premier program. I have been finding it hard, as is the current theme, to find companies that will waive the 2+ years experience required.

I have all my own equipment and research materials. Slow still but very accurate and question everything I am unsure of.

Regards,
Kristen

Hi Kristen,

I'm also a graduate of MTEC way back in 2002. I started out kinda slow working from a local doctor's office in my town. you just have to make up an old fashion resume and talk to people. I did that for 2 years and then got a lead on a hospital job. I've been working for a nearby hospital (although I moved away, kept the same job) ever since. gotta love a job you can move with and raise kids with. Now i'm back in school and have great flexibility in my work, all the time.

I think there are jobs out there if you look. Small practices, ask your local hospital what service they use, ask what people are doing.

MTEC is a great school, great foundation to get you out there but still a lot to learn.

Don't give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tit4tat in Mocksville, North Carolina

61 months ago

VLC Student in Deltona, Florida said: I can't believe what I reading! An M-TEC recent graduate with a 96% GPA cannot find work?
Well,that is discouraging according to what is being posted in the MT chat forums you guys (MTEC, Andrews etc..) are the best programs online.
Nonetheless, here you are stating the opposite.
That's ashame with all that money spend and no job straight out of the course.
I'm so happy to have chosen VLC that's right you heard it VLC! The online course you MTEC and Andrews graduates talk so wrong of... Our comprehensive program had an internship program and workplacement program.
So let this be a lesson to those interested in MT Carreers. I am a student from this course and have seen many graduates from VLC go off to do the internship and be hired right after completing the program.
Is not the money you spend that counts is the right program with the right resources to help you become the best in the long run that counts.

Ouch, that really is bad. I know that program is costly. I took the program with PCDI and it was like little less than a $1000 and I can't find nada. So I pretty much gave up on Med. Tran. and have decided to take a online self-study in coding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MT4ME in Tampa, Florida

61 months ago

I think the fact that "VLC Student" has delivered a post with numerous misspelled words and poor grammar speaks volumes of the school, much like it would for any school.

Being a graduate of M-Tec or Andrews certainly helps you get a foot in the door, but is no guarantee of employment. Then, after finding employment many graduates are very disappointed to find themselves earning less than minimum wage in the first months. I attended one of those schools and received a superior education. I know that my choice of schools was the right one. Having said that, if I could go back in time and do it all over again I would RUN away from the field. In the amount of time it has taken me to complete the course, I could have become an LPN or 2-year RN and at a minimum be making $14 per hour and not worry about my patient being sent to a foreign country for care or that my skill might be replaced by a machine.

Shasta, It seems that you already know this, but those certificates in coding are nearly worthless. I am about to finish a second bachelors degree in HIM, after which I will take the RHIA exam. Other than the investment of time, getting an AS in HIM and sitting for the RHIT is really not a task that will require a great deal of you academically. More education is always a good thing! Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

MT4ME in Tampa, Florida

61 months ago

Tit4tat in Mocksville, North Carolina said: Ouch, that really is bad. I know that program is costly. I took the program with PCDI and it was like little less than a $1000 and I can't find nada. So I pretty much gave up on Med. Tran. and have decided to take a online self-study in coding.

Do your homework before investing anymore money in cheap programs. You get what you pay for. You are going to need a 2-year degree in HIM/HIT and not a certificate. Be careful with online programs. There are a lot of great online programs, but there are far more that just want your money. If it does not prepare you for credentials then you are wasting your time and money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tweety in Grove City, Ohio

60 months ago

Regards,
Kristen

Hi Kristen,

I am sad to hear that a fellow MTEC grad can't find a job. MTEC is a great school. Up until now even 7 years after graduating from MTEC, national companies are still sending me invitations to work for them because of MTEC's reputation. I am also proud to say that MTEC had opened the doors for me. I am now a proud business owner of an established MT company and has been servicing local physicians in my area. I started out working for a small MT company making peanuts just to get my foot in the door. I saw your post was 5 months ago so you probably have found a job by now. I am sure you will. Don't give up!

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

andrea

60 months ago

I hope at this point, Kristen, you have found something. I am on the verge of finishing #17. I am very curious to learn about what you've been doing. I hope you are enjoying a career as an MT. Please update us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tueke in Lake Park, Minnesota

59 months ago

I am a recent graduate of At-Home professions and I am also having trouble with getting a job as a Medical Transcriptionist. I have applied to nearly 200 places locally and online. I just can't find any place that is willing to waive the 2 years of experience. I live in a very small town and the local hospital has sent there transcription to India and the other hasn't hired in six years. Does anyone have any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Hi Tueke,

I would suggest trying to find a job online first. You can try MTjobs.com or MTStars. Some employers there are looking for MTs to work for them even without experience. The pay will be low but that is a good place to start to get some acute care experience especially the big 4s (H&P, Operative Reports, Discharge Summary, Consultation Reports). When I first graduated from MT school, I was an apprentice for this small company online then after 6 months I got a better paying job, also online.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tueke in Lake Park, Minnesota

59 months ago

Thank you for your quick response I look on mtjobs.com everyday. I haven't found anything that will let me do an apprenticeship. I don't mind if I was making less I wouldn't mind doing some volunteer work for a period of time just to get my foot in the door and keep my skills up to date. What was the company that you did that for? I will start checking mtstars also. How long ago did you graduate? Thanks again for any suggestions you have!

59 months ago

tueke in Lake Park, Minnesota said: Thank you for your quick response I look on mtjobs.com everyday. I haven't found anything that will let me do an apprenticeship. I don't mind if I was making less I wouldn't mind doing some volunteer work for a period of time just to get my foot in the door and keep my skills up to date. What was the company that you did that for? I will start checking mtstars also. How long ago did you graduate? Thanks again for any suggestions you have!

I graduated from MTEC in 2002. Not that I have anything against other schools, but MTEC kind of opened the doors for me. Most of the national MT services out there were willing to hire new grads from MTEC. I guess it is the reputation. I worked for LTS in Richmond, VA when I was starting out. I tried to find their website but I had no luck. Sorry! I also tested for Sten-Tel and passed their test that time and they were offering me a job but I accepted LTS instead.

Laurie in Oregon in Bend, Oregon

59 months ago

I am a graduate from M-Tec in April 2009. It took me a total of 3 months of diligently looking for work before I was offered a training position back east. She is not hiring anymore new people so I can't give out the name. But this is a confirmation that another M-Tec student got a job. ;)

tueke in Ada, Minnesota

59 months ago

Well I guess I will have to just keep checking. Thanks anyways.

Daphne Cojoe in Dallas, Georgia

50 months ago

Regards,
Kristen

Kristen,

Try Spheris (recently bought out by another company). You can still apply under Spheris. They routinely hire new MTs, especially M-Tec grads. With a 96% GPA, you should be able to get on with Spheris. Good luck to you.

From a fellow M-Tec graduate!

angela in Albuquerque, New Mexico

44 months ago

I completed the 12 month program at Penn Foster for about $1000, but did not feel quite ready for the job market, so I re-enrolled at PF for their MT Advanced course. Hopefully, I will find a decent job after this course. I haven't learned anything about Speech Recognition and am worried that a future employer would ask about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rgcoogie in Victoria, British Columbia

42 months ago

I need help with my last assignment that focuses on Discharge Summary in Cardiology such as ustable angina, chest pain, myocardial infarction... I have a weak listening skills as I'm trying to work hard on this.
The patient is 59 year old male with chest pain radiating...

Significant Laboratory findings:

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

palma

41 months ago

Does anyone know what rating At-Home Professions has as far as education is concerned for medical transcription. I am a graduate of this school and wondering, is it really that difficult to find a job once graduated?

I have not applied for a job position as of yet. Would like to know if I made the right decision choosing At-Home Professions for education.

newgirl in Butler, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

Hello, I just graduated with a Medical Transcription Diploma and am looking for a job. As a "newbie" is there any advice as to who will hire a newbie? Thanks

britneyspoonemore@gmail.com in Waitsburg, Washington

37 months ago

I am a new graduate of a community college medical transcription certificate program and feel the need for more practice and experience. I am looking for an opportunity to continue to learn all that I can in this field and build upon my current skills and knowledge. I would find it invaluable to be able to work with and learn from someone who is experienced and knowledgeable in this challenging, yet rewarding field.

If you have the ability, the patience, and the time to teach someone who is very eager to learn and grow as a medical transcriptionist, then I would love to hear from you.

kittendonna in Kelowna, British Columbia

25 months ago

Browsing, I came upon your post. Sorry, but I cannot help you but I have a question for you. I am contemplating taking the MTEC course. I live in Canada and will soon be retiring, looking for part-time work in my retirement. Are you currently working, and, if so, how are things progressing?
Thanks.

Donna

doodles in Winfield, British Columbia

22 months ago

Hi Donna, I live in Kelowna as well and am trying to decide between MTEC and CanScribe (a Career Step program here in Kelowna). They are about the same price. The MTEC course sounds much more in depth though. I'm just worried that Canadian employers might not recognize a US school. Any thoughts?. Thanks, Cathryn

David in Victoria, British Columbia

21 months ago

Hi Doodles,

Since September of this year, I've been taking the medical transcription program online through Selkirk College here in BC. So far I'm finding it a really comprehensive program. It is a lot of work but hopefully it'll all pay off in the end. I am quite enjoying my program. It has over 2500 minutes, I believe, of authentic transcription which is a real bonus (actual transcription with personal info being removed). I've heard that it is a well recognized program as well. I looked into CanScribe as well, which from from what I've heard is a fairly good program also. Best of luck with your schooling and future career!

doodles in Winfield, British Columbia

21 months ago

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply. I was interested in the Selkirk College program but unfortunately it was too late to enroll this year. I'm still doing research and hopefully will be starting a course soon. Good luck with your studies!. Cathryn

20 months ago

Hi Doodles in Winfield.

I am well into my course with MTEC. It's very comprehensive, and you have to be focused on your studies. I have worked long hours during the summer to advance, and it has paid off. I have learned a lot and have very much enjoyed the hours of "real doctor" dictation that we must complete at the end of the session. I researched both MTEC and Canscribe, and in my opinion MTEC has it hands down. In addition to the medical side, they have an technology instructor who is always available if you encounter any problems with your computer, how to set things up, etc. I am not too concerned about not being recognized by a Canadian employer, and there are more jobs in the US than Canada anyway. Good luck in your choice. Donna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Hello again doodles.

If you decide to pursue the course and pay in full, there is a discount. Keep that in mind and ask the enrolling officer if you decide. Donna

donandmar@shaw.ca in Acapulco, Mexico

15 months ago

An update to my finishing my course with MTEC. I completed the course almost 4 months ahead of schedule and graduated with a 97% GPA. I tested with MModal and was hired within a month after graduating. If you are serious and focused and want the best training, find a good school. Probably your best bet since MTEC is no longer offering a 1-year course is, in my opinion, Andrews. I debated attending our CDN based course, Canscribe, but am happy I chose MTEC. Good luck! Donna

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.