Too bad......

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 85)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Lisa

81 months ago

I took a course in Medical Transcription, and the woman in the town where I live who was running the course made it seem like we (students) would all be able to get jobs once done with the course. Not one of the students ever got a transcription job and the woman pulled out before the training was through,...taking real tapes out of the course and the students could only practice with made up tapes. This woman cannot be reached whatsoever....anywhere. To me, she must be hiding out. At first when the course ended, I was nice about it...but all the time and money spent and realizing I will never be an MT and knowing that she is "hiding out" makes me think that she is a lot worse than I thought she was and never had any intention of really helping anyone become an MT. She let the woman who owned the school conflict with her at the sacrifice of her students. I am not a nasty person, but was just wondering whatever happened to this MT teacher who ran this course. Probably no one out there can help me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa

81 months ago

Just wanted to add, I think it is too bad that this woman cannot (unless she has personal problems ..health, family, etc) acknowledge any student that she ever had and own up to the fact that she promised we could practice from real tapes and just took them out of the class because she had a conflict with the owner of the school who used to (I guess) be her friend. I took an interest in becoming an MT, but a lot of the students said that this woman really didn't want anymore "MTs" out there because of competition, and now I realize that they were correct. I am not trying to make this woman feel guilty, but she doesn't have to "hide out" like a criminal. I doubt that any, any of her former students from years ago would ever do her any kind of harm - but she acts like she did something really wrong. She should have thought about the way she is before she even took on the responsibility of teaching students MT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mtathome in Yorba Linda, California

81 months ago

I'm so sorry, Lisa.

I'm always telling prospective MTs to pick one of the AHDI-approved schools so this kind of thing doesn't happen to them. There are a lot of little scammy MT schools around, and people pick them because they're less expensive than a real MT school.

Anyway, if you're still interested in MT, go to the ADHI website, linked below, and look through the MT schools listed there. The two best MT schools are Andrews and M-Tec. They're both offer very comprehensive training and are well-known to MT companies, and the companies overlook their 2-year work experience requirement for graduates of those schools.

Here's the link: www.ahdionline.org/scriptcontent/mtapproved.cfm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa

81 months ago

Thank you MTathome. I appreciate your telling me about Andrews (which is a good MT school, and M-Tec.) I used to be really interested, but this initial school (in my hometown, which is small) kind of made me distrustful about what to do. So...I do keep other schools in mind, but really don't have anymore money to spend on a new career. It happens, but this school and woman I checked out and it really seemed legitimate. The woman doesn't have to "hide out" like she is a really bad person though. I think she is making it worse for herself by doing so. People (students) are still discussing how they never got a job out of that school...but I know that not one student would ever really personally "bother" her. I think in the end, she had some medical problems,....but still she should have taken that into account as to the way she was acting towards the very course that she made thousands and thousands of dollars off of. She showed no loyalty or dedication to her students or to the principles of teaching and she acted in the end of the course very, very unprofessional. It is just strange though, that it is like over the past 5 years, she has disappeared from the face of the earth...(last time I heard she was living in Conn.) and she was a well-known CMT.
But thank you again for answering me in the forum...it does make me feel somewhat better to know that there are other schools and courses out there that are a scam. I live and learn...sometimes the hard way.
Lisa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

pamela in Corona, California

81 months ago

I went to PCDI for medical transcription and never obtained a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa

81 months ago

I never heard of PCDI (?), but that is too bad. I know - all the hard work and money and absolutely nothing to show for it. I really took an interest in medical transcription. Even if it was phased out, I would still be interested in editing reports. But no one gives anyone a break in the business, unless your a friend of a friend. You have to have 2 years experience in the acute care field and how is one going to obtain that if no one hires you from the start out of a school. I know people who were a unit secretary and a housecleaner in a hospital and put in for transcription, the hospital staff trained them and they are now successful transcriptionists working who (at the time I know of) were working at the hospital as transcriptionists and also the former housecleaner was working from home at one point plus the hospital.
Its discouraging,disappointing, and degrading for a person trying to start out in the field.
Lisa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

dal77 in Columbus, Georgia

81 months ago

Lisa, I have to agree with you. After several years in a particular field, I decided I wanted to change careers, so I took an MT course through US Career Institute. This is something that I had thought about doing for years, and since kids are grown, finally had the time to focus on the course. It's been over a year now, and I still haven't landed a position. I am willing to work any hours, any days. I admit, I would like to work from home, but at this point I would take just about anything- in office would be fine. I really enjoyed the course, and although it was not easy, I thought I could make a career of it. Like you, I am disillusioned because as you mention, everyone wants at least one year (and most want 2 years) of experience. It's the old Catch-22- how can I gain experience if I cannot get hired?
I have been on this forum on another post, because now I am having a problem being hired, even in my former career area! Jobs are so hard to come by. So I had pretty much let go of the idea of MT for now. I have to have a job, ANY job at this point!
Anyway, read over the other older posts on the forum, and there is a very long post where others are discussing this very same situation. There are some helpful tips and websites listed there. I still have a bit of hope left for all of us! Good Luck to you and all the other "newbies" out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa

81 months ago

Thank you for the info. I am sorry to hear that you are out of work. I have been there also, but something came along. I really enjoyed MT....possibly to the point where people saw that (I worked in a local hospital part-time for 6 months 'til I was let go because they didn't have anyone to "train me." They said I didn't have a good line count, but at first for like 3 months...my work was always praised. Then a friend of a friend was hired so they thought of a reason to dismiss me. But if it was because of my line count, no one was there to train me. I had to wing it on my own or have my coworkers (who were busy with their own work) help me. By now, if they had given me a chance...I would be a good transcriptionist. I really took an interest in it, but now have realized that there is no sense in pursuing it. But I do really feel like I was robbed. I can understand scams out there...but this was a real crime not only to me, but to many students. Also for you...the experience you can't get if no one hires you. It is like a "joke" for the people on the other end.
Anyway I am going to go to the older posts and just look at websites there. I know I have given up...but still I am curious. Everyone told me "oh, don't give up." Well, after over 7 years...I realized nothing was going to come about ever. I would tell you not to "give up" but you know what is best for you. I know the job market isn't good at times...but one never knows. Something may turn up. I pray for you.
Lisa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marty in Mount Airy, North Carolina

79 months ago

Have you ever heard of At-HomeProfessions.org?
What can you tell me about them?

Lisa

79 months ago

I never heard of them. But it might be a good thing to look into. Of course, being at home working has its good points and drawbacks. Especially if you are in business for yourself, although there is no boss but you....I have heard it can be very difficult.
Lisa

FarAwayDeb in Rochester, New York

77 months ago

Marty in Mount Airy, North Carolina said: Have you ever heard of At-HomeProfessions.org?
What can you tell me about them?

They are in the same class as PCDI, Penn Foster, etc. They are referred to as "matchbook" schools (they frequently print their ads on matchbooks). They do NOT offer sufficient training for you to get a job afterwards. If you do not take a course from either Andrews School, M-TEC, or Career Step, it will be very very difficult to obtain work. Everyone will tell you they require 2 years' experience, what they don't tell you is they will waive that requirement if you graduated from one of the good schools that trains you well.

Don't waste your money on any school other than Andrews, M-TEC, or Career Step. If you don't believe me, just keep checking around online and see the HUNDREDS of posts from "grads" of those other schools who cannot get a job.

Archie in Wauconda, Illinois

77 months ago

Has anyone heard of courses offered at med Trans Inc IL?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MTatHome- in Madisonville, Texas

76 months ago

I would like the owner of this blog to contact us as soon as possible.

866-698-5667

The screen name of MTatHome is being mis-used. MTatHome is a company for medical transcription and when you use this name on this blog people are getting confused thinking that you are with our company. We have also contacted another board that is doing the same thing. We need to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Thank you and God Bless,

Julie
Owner of MTatHome
www.mtathome.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MTatHome- in Madisonville, Texas

76 months ago

I would like the owner of this blog to contact us as soon as possible.

The screen name of MTatHome is being mis-used. MTatHome is a company for medical transcription and when you use this name on this blog people are getting confused thinking that you are with our company. We have also contacted another board that is doing the same thing. We need to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Thank you and God Bless,

Julie
Owner of MTatHome
www.mtathome.com

New Career in Milford, Indiana

75 months ago

Has anyone tken the MT courses at Allied? Would love to hear from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Colleen in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

74 months ago

I am considering taking an online course for medical transciption and am looking at mtathome.com. Has anyone taken their program? Are they recognized as reputable and are their graduates able to find employment? I am a mom of 5- with 4 now in school- and my looking for a way to supplement our income. I want to be able to work from home so that I can be in control of my schedule and keep my kids out of daycare. Thanks in advance for any and all information you have.

Lisa

74 months ago

Really the best school is Andrews. It is a lot of work, but they do prepare you and are up-to-date on a lot of what one has to do to be an MT. Lately, (don't know if people are just telling me this) I heard that a lot of work (reports) are being sent out of the country and doctors are having foreigners do the work. Then I heard that voice recognition is taking over and in a couple of years, MT will be obsolete...but, these rumors I have heard for 10 years now and I think the people I know are just saying that to make me feel better, since my career as an MT never got off the ground. I know I would have been excellent at it...I am a very conscientious person and if only that hospital had worked with me...but they didn't and the first school I went to....was a total "bust." Once one recognizes how the doctors speak...they have it made. That is all it would have taken with me. But you think anyone in that hospital would have the patience to help me out(?) And that first school I went to...the woman kept saying "trust me" you will become MTs. What a joke on all of her students. She must have gone home laughing...she pulled out when she had a conflict with the owner of the school and all the real tapes she supplied she took away from her students .... so we never could learn on real tapes or get the real experience out of her course or from the school. The owner of the school is also to blame ....not one person in the class I was in (there were like a dozen girls) ever got a job as an MT. Well, you live and learn. What a waste! -Andrews school is not a waste....
Lisa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RSS in Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

I'm a graduate of Andrews and have to say that it is one of the best schools out there. They have a wonderful forum, once you commit, that puts you in ready contact with all the other students, and some people come back as graduates to mentor as well. Companies approach the owner with job openings, and she will in turn post them on the forum. However, you are always free to look on your own too. Lots of tips and help on this forum, so you are never alone. It's like a virtual classroom.

They have a payment plan where you put a certain amount down and pay equal monthly payments for a certain period of time, so it's a good set up for many people who don't have all their tuition all at once.

Andrews graduates are sought after by MT companies because they know the name. It's been described as the Yale of MT schools, if that tells you anything.

It's a tough school, with really good instructors, real tapes with all kinds of accents to help you get used to ESL doctors, and challenging assessments, but that's what you want so you have the confidence by the time you graduate. You get your money's worth.

Lisa

73 months ago

RSS in Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania said: I'm a graduate of Andrews and have to say that it is one of the best schools out there. They have a wonderful forum, once you commit, that puts you in ready contact with all the other students, and some people come back as graduates to mentor as well. Companies approach the owner with job openings, and she will in turn post them on the forum. However, you are always free to look on your own too. Lots of tips and help on this forum, so you are never alone. It's like a virtual classroom.

They have a payment plan where you put a certain amount down and pay equal monthly payments for a certain period of time, so it's a good set up for many people who don't have all their tuition all at once.

Andrews graduates are sought after by MT companies because they know the name. It's been described as the Yale of MT schools, if that tells you anything.

It's a tough school, with really good instructors, real tapes with all kinds of accents to help you get used to ESL doctors, and challenging assessments, but that's what you want so you have the confidence by the time you graduate. You get your money's worth.

Andrews is a good school...just too bad that the first school I encountered was such a hoax. I would think that the woman in charge of that course, would at least come forth for her students and at least (even if she does have personal problems) acknowledge that fact that no one in the one class ever got a job due to her pulling out of school. We were offered job placement and help in the end...which we never, ever received. She just pulled out of there with her tapes and there was absolutely no help in job placement. I don't see how people can live with themselves who are like this.
Andrews is a very good school!
Lisa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ananda924 in Citrus Heights, California

68 months ago

RSS in Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania said: I'm a graduate of Andrews and have to say that it is one of the best schools out there. They have a wonderful forum, once you commit, that puts you in ready contact with all the other students, and some people come back as graduates to mentor as well. Companies approach the owner with job openings, and she will in turn post them on the forum. However, you are always free to look on your own too. Lots of tips and help on this forum, so you are never alone. It's like a virtual classroom.

I was wondering how quickly you were able to find a job. Are you pleased with your choice to become a MT? Any info would be great, as I am considering Andrew's. Thank you.

Bridget in Killeen, Texas

68 months ago

I just recently finished my course in medical transcription through US Career Institute. I am now discovering that I am in a catch 22. You need to have experience in order for anyone to hire you. I was just recently told that there are some companies that have internships but it seems that you have to take their course in order to go through their internships. Do I really want to go through that again? More money out of my pocket? Hmmmm, not sure on that.

RSS in Mehoopany, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

Ananda924 in Citrus Heights, California said: I was wondering how quickly you were able to find a job. Are you pleased with your choice to become a MT? Any info would be great, as I am considering Andrew's. Thank you.

I was able to find a job in less than 6 weeks, I believe. In my case, another graduate came onto the forum with news of openings for the company she hired with. I chose to be a contractor, as it gave me more options and control in terms of schedule. Downside with that is that you do have to do your own taxes. I am no longer an MT but may return to it at a later date. I ended my contract primarily due to health issues. Working from home can be very challenging. You will need discipline and balance to succeed, but I do know many success stories. You will be tempted to work yourself ragged to reach certain line counts. My best advice is to keep your health and your family's well being at the forefront. Afterall, you are most likely doing this for them. Shut the door and screen your calls during your work hours if possible. Buy a timer that counts up and down so that you can stop it when you have an interruption. This way you can keep track of how long you are actually working. (Pampered Chef?) Pack high-protein low carb healthy snacks and drinks and keep them within reach so you are not distracted with trips to the kitchen or more unhealthy options, and to try and keep a regular work schedule (as if you were employed outside the home) as well as you can to optimize your success in a reasonable amount of hours daily. It does take a while to reach your required line count. Choose a company with a patient owner. Ask around. Take the time to make lots of macros daily, and USE THEM. I learned a tremendous amount from Andrews, but the exposure of working in the field is what extends your education and makes you an MT in the true sense of the word.

RSS in Mehoopany, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

Also just to say that 6 weeks was not typical and that most MTs were hired sooner than that, some right away, actually. There was a very temporary slump in hiring at that time that just goes with the territory.

If you are serious about becoming an MT, Andrews is the way to go. The instructors are second to none, show no favoritism, and their main goal is to produce professionals who know what they're doing. It's in their best interest to train you well. Assessments come with thoughtful comments and suggestions for improvement, and you are never alone with the forum at your disposal 24/7.

smnelson in Roscoe, Illinois

61 months ago

I am taking classes thru Penn Foster. I'm thinking that this was not a good choice. Can anyone offer any other school to take MT courses?

ngagirl in Woodstock, Georgia

61 months ago

I just signed up for Career Step after MUCH research and physically speaking to an HR person for a major MT company who said they pull a lot from CS b/c they are highly trained and qualified upon completion. Good Luck!

operablower

61 months ago

ngagirl in Woodstock, Georgia said: I just signed up for Career Step after MUCH research and physically speaking to an HR person for a major MT company who said they pull a lot from CS b/c they are highly trained and qualified upon completion. Good Luck!

I graduated from Career Step and paid the extra as they said they would help find me a job. The only thing they do is give you a list of companies to check out. This list is given to every graduate. I still don't have a job and doubt I will have one in the near future.

Laura

sjf1057 in Phoenix, Arizona

60 months ago

Is this through Med Trans Inc by Mary Park-Youhanaie? I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone from that place and have spent over $755 for course materials. I'm really scared that I made a huge mistake - my parents gave me the money for this course and I feel so stupid that I was scammed by these folks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

60 months ago

sjf1057 in Phoenix, Arizona said: Is this through Med Trans Inc by Mary Park-Youhanaie? I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone from that place and have spent over $755 for course materials. I'm really scared that I made a huge mistake - my parents gave me the money for this course and I feel so stupid that I was scammed by these folks.

It has been a pet peeve of mine for years when schools tell students they will make tons of money transcribing the minute you get out of school. It takes years of transcribing in a hospital setting to become proficient enough to transcribe medical reports without actually doing harm to the patients. There is a whole lot more involved than an anatomy/grammar/style course in medical transcription before one is able to call themselves a medical transcriptionist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa

59 months ago

So what is going on? So many people are interested in MT, they take courses and never are able to get jobs in it, unless they are an Andrews Graduate or have gone to M-Tec. It is just a waste of time of anyone feels that they are really going to have a good career unless they go to one of these two schools. I was really interested and my enthusiasm was great to become an MT and have a career change. Finally was doing something positive in my life. It didn't work out, I've accepted it...but what a waste. Just futile attempt. Why do all these schools advertise that one can get a career when they can't? Must be some big joke in the MT world for these schools to advertise "oh yes, go to this school, graduate, get a good career as an MT and probably will be able to do it on your own at home." These schools should be outlawed and it should be posted that really the only two schools to go to to possibly get a career as an MT is Andrews or M-Tec. Well... If I ever do get the extra money I will talk to Inscribe Us. I know I go on about this, but no one would believe the enthusiasm I had for getting a career as an MT, which made my learning easier. The interest and enthusism...I should have gotten a job as an MT. There should be something out there for a lot of people who go to MT schools...even if it is part-time work. No one out there is really willing to help. If this is the case...no one should advertise these schools except for Andrews, M-Tec, and Inscribe Us. It is an absurdity and an insult for us students, newbies, and graduates who receive no reward (no job as an MT) for all the hard work, efforts, and money spent. I would tell future MT students and newbies to keep at it, but I just don't think it will "pan" out unless they go to one of those 3 schools...and even then, I really don't know. Believe me, I know that in life that many times, things just don't work out or come about...but this, to me, now, is such an apparent hoax in MT.
Lisa

Dona in Dushore, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

It's your score on the tests that will get you the job. If you want to work for a particular company, push to be tested regardless of where you graduated from. We all have to market ourselves.

Even if it's a smaller company, take the job for a year or two and stick with it to learn the ropes and expose yourself to real-time dictation. There's no replacement for actual experience/exposure, even the best schooling available.

Truth is, it is learning how to efficiently use your references and macros (either on your own or using the software your client uses) that will actually speed you up and determine your earning potential. That's something you learn on the job. You aren't going to graduate and instantly be making $35,000.

Furthermore...the medical terminology and transcription exposure is not a waste of education. If all else fails, you could probably still land a position in a hospital or clinic doing something clerical with that under your belt.

dormguard

59 months ago

What is ADHI certificate institute? I haven't heard of it.
I was wondering if you know where I can sell a lot of transcription books for a really low price?
Dormguard

dormguard

59 months ago

dormguard said: What is AHDI certificate institute? I haven't heard of it.
I was wondering if you know where I can sell a lot of transcription books for a really low price?
Dormguard

I was only trying to edit this quote. Anyway the books I have, I guess I am getting rid of since I just can't make a break in this field. I really tried. This Institute, sounds like it would be good; but I just don't have any more money to spend on this field of study. It is unfortunate, but I feel as though I have gone to enough initial schools and nothing has worked. I have spent a total of 3 years going to school for transcription and nothing has come about whatsoever.

Lisa

59 months ago

[QUOTE"]What is AHDI certificate institute? I haven't heard of it.
Lisa
Again, trying to edit quote.
Lisa

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

59 months ago

Any of you who went to school for medical transcription, you do have the option of learning to scope for court reporters. You should learn steno theory and buy the editing software. Court reporters don't take their work out of the country.

Lisa

59 months ago

Court reporting (?) Well, that is something to look into.
I used to know shorthand quite well...maybe that has something to do with "steno theory". All I was looking for was a part-time job in medical transcription to start out with and if my career at it became easy and good, I had planned on going into it full-time. Really , though, I am looking for part-time work now. I now have a job that offers a pension, and I can't quit it to go into another career now, unless I can do it part-time. I wonder if they have part-time court reporters? That is something for me to look into Mary, thank you.
Lisa

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

59 months ago

Court reporters are freelance. You work as much or as little as you want. As for scoping, same thing. Scoping is editing for a court reporter. You should learn theory (how to read shorthand notes). All court reporters are on CAT now. A scopist will edit for a court reporter.

Sandy in Battle Creek, Michigan

57 months ago

Archie in Wauconda, Illinois said: Has anyone heard of courses offered at med Trans Inc IL?

Yes, I paid for these courses and was certified. Now, like all these other people I am trying to find a job. Med Trans Inc has plenty of jobs posted on Careerbuilder that I have applied for. But, since I was not one of their "top students" they are not even considering to hire me.

Lisa

57 months ago

So...it's like "what's the sense..." It should be posted before anyone goes into the MT field that "student must be outstanding...to even be possibly considered for a job, or they must know someone (a relative or close friend) who can get them a job in the field. If they are not outstanding or don't know anyone close to them who can get them a job as an MT, then they must be prepared to "waste time and money" if they decide to go into the medical transcription field." Believe me, I am an optimistic person who had a lot of spirit....after futile attempts in the MT field, the optimistic spirit I had is gone. Not one person helped me out even when I worked part-time in a hospital. They still got their best friend's friend in to replace me. I was definitely willing to learn and had great enthusiasm for becoming an MT. I was even willing to train for free. Well...I just don't see how some people can live with themselves, knowing how they push out a beginner in MT and replace her with a good friend (who never was an MT before.)...I can only hope that the supervisor and the person who owned the MT course at the school I went to (which is now obsolete) read this and at least express some feelings at least to themselves...like they can recognize themselves and say: "That was me, I did that to that new student who had a lot of enthusiasm to learn and a lot of good spirit to becoming an MT; I pushed her out and brought in my "best friend." I was never even given a chance. After all the hours spent and the money spent....the money I made in the hospital didn't pay back my schooling. It's like all the schooling I went through(I was a dedicated student, not outstanding, but not failing) was just a waste...I have absolutely nothing to show for it except for the books that I never use now. That's it...a waste of time and money.
My optimism is gone towards MT field after what has happened to me and others.

Dona in Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

I graduated from a reputable school and found a job from home within 3 months.

You need to find a reputable school that helps with placement. With the web, there's really no excuse for attending a school with less than a stellar reputation. Work from home for 2+ years and THEN go out and try to find something elsewhere outside the home if that is what you prefer.

If you can't pass the tests, then why SHOULD they hire you? The documents an MT produces are legal documents permissible in court. Can't blame anyone for wanting a high rate of accuracy, especially when an error can lead to someone's accidental death.

So...I schooled for 3 years, worked for 2.5, and as it turns out, I really didn't care for working from home and being my own contractor. It meant long hours, filing my own taxes, and I truly missed contact with people. My health was suffering too. I was gaining weight, developing edema in my lower limbs, and constant pain in my shoulders. You have to be prepared for the solitude of working from home and you need to be a very disciplined person to get in your required lines. That's hard to do when there are a million distractions and family members who never quite get on board with what you're trying to do.

So, even if you can find a job, you have to be prepared for the drudgery end of it, the discipline required, and being paid by the line in some circumstances - with a required line count, mind you. In some respects...that's like working in a factory.

So, it's got its good points and it's not-so-good points. You need to go into it having done proper research, having talked to lots of other MTs, finding a reputable school with good job placement help, and knowing the tricks of the trade to hasten your line count (with macros). If you work from home, it's going to take a huge amount of discipline, and that's not easy when you've got kids running around, dogs that need to be walked, and laundry that needs to be washed, dried, and folded.

Lisa

57 months ago

Well, thanks anyway...finding a school with a stellar reputation?
Been there, done that more than one time. Everybody learns differently and as you know, I'm sure, everyone is different.
I wasn't even given a chance...one has to become familiar with the way a doctor talks and I have seen it in hospital the flaws that are let go in hospital reports (of course nothing serious...but the reports are not perfect.) The schools demand perfection in reporting, which is understandable... but they want everything learned at once. Schools don't let one become familiar with the way a doctor speaks. Good for you, that you were given a chance.
I feel, that I wasn't. Working from home, would be what I want (but the dream of doing that is long gone and I'm movin' on), working from home is not what you want. Learning the tricks of the trade..."one has to have a teacher with patience and as far as I'm concerned..not one of the schools or the hospital that I worked in exhibited patience in teaching me. So time and money wasted. Oh well...some people have to: "live and learn." If I were a teacher in an MT school, I would help and not just see what the student can't do. I would have the patience. If someone could teach me, I would feel, that I could teach and help someone else. All while I was learning MT, I got the feeling from schools...that they just wanted to see what I can't do and really did not want me to suceed whatsoever. I truly believe that schools and teachers feel as though too many people are trying to get in this field if the student didn't catch on in a week or two...(even with a reputable school) they were not worthy of helping or teaching. The online schools...it is difficult to learn sometimes online and also difficult to teach online. I wasn't impressed, sorry, after going to two previous schools. They want 2 years experience now...and no one will hire a student. What is it a joke? How can one get the two year experience as an MT?
Lisa

Lisa

57 months ago

Honestly, the schools "reputable ones" should concentrate on the students who have trouble with MT.
They should exhibit patience and try to show the student "the way to the career" in the simplest form possible. It should not be thrown at the student all at once. Punctuation, medical words, grammar, spelling...should not be subjected to the student all at once; unless that student is on "speed" or has "formerly taken "speed". The schools shouldn't try to exhibit how good they are by concentrating on the students who are passing. Try to help the student who is struggling also...and the school shouldn't just give up or toss them out.
Lisa.

Lisa

57 months ago

Also, the "reputable schools" I went to, really tried to get by with the bare minimum of staff and supplies. If the really good schools got more staff then the students who needed concentrated help might have a chance with these schools who demand high grades and perfect reports in a 6 month time frame. Missing staff was a problem. I didn't have the same instructors online for very long...just passed along. When I did get an instructor that trained me for like 3 months...she tried to help, but I just don't think she had the patience and I do believe that she felt pressure (being that the school was understaffed and really exhibited no understanding or patience to the one who had no knowledge of transcription. Definitely need to fill in the spaces for staff that left the school; and also hire more staff. Believe me, I went to good schools...just feel they need more staff to really concentrate and help the student.
Lisa

Stephanie H in Oxford, Michigan

56 months ago

Anyone taken Exact-med courses? Any experiences with them that you could share? I am thinking about going to this school. Thank you!

Lisa

56 months ago

Stephanie H in Oxford, Michigan said: Anyone taken Exact-med courses? Any experiences with them that you could share? I am thinking about going to this school. Thank you!

I never heard of Exact-med, but it sounds good. Andrews school is supposed to be really good. They work with the student and the price is reasonable. Even if you don't get a job in transcription, after going to Andrews, you learn a lot.
Lisa

StephanieH in Oxford, Michigan

56 months ago

Lisa said: I never heard of Exact-med, but it sounds good. Andrews school is supposed to be really good. They work with the student and the price is reasonable. Even if you don't get a job in transcription, after going to Andrews, you learn a lot.
Lisa

Well Exact-med is a school that is on the list for approved schools....Ahdi. I am most likely going to go there. Hopefully they are as good as they looks. They also help with job placement.

Lisa

56 months ago

Sounds good. Good Luck!
Lisa

Susie in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Dona in Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania said: I graduated from a reputable school and found a job from home within 3 months.

Dona, can you please tell me which MT school you trained with? I'm researching different MT online schools right now. Although it appears to be unanimous that Andrews is the best, I can't afford that one. I'm considering mtathome.com and careerstep.com. Any feedback on these schools, particularly concerning their rate of placement of their graduates, would be most appreciated. I have in the past worked out of my home (doing court reporter transcripts and various freelance administrative assignments) and love it! That's what I'm hoping to do with an MT certificate.

Also, I'm researching the job outlook for MTs. Any input would be welcome as well. Thanks...

Dona in Springville, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Hi. Well, I did Andrews too. I asked around a lot and even checked with the Better Business Bureau before I committed. Andrews actually had, at that time, a very reasonable payment plan, so do consider it and speak to someone there at the office (Linda Andrews if you can get a hold of her - she's the owner, or someone else) before you rule it out based on cost. I believe I may have put over $1,000 down and paid the balance in 24 interest-free payments. They may work with you on this.

Good luck. I've also heard of CareerStep, but honestly can't give an opinion one way or the other on that. Have you asked around at the MT websites, like MTDaily?

Lisa

55 months ago

Dona,
You got a job after 3 months of graduation? You must be an apprentice or something of that nature in the office. What stopped me from proceeding with my career training was that once one graduates, in order to be hired by anyone, they have to have a minimum of 2 years experience as an MT. My question was always, how is one to get 2 years experience if no one will hire them. This is like a steadfast rule now. Unless you know someone who is willing to help you and be patient with you for two years....I guess your in the transcription field. I hated to quit, but really saw impossibilities.
Any comment about your job and 2 - year experience (rule?) might help me to decide to pick up studying transcription again or not. I can't understand, after my going to all those schools , spending all that money, working for a short time in a hospital, why I can't get into this field. I am definitely going back to the hospital and see what they are doing now. I mean, it couldn't hurt, just to check it out.
Lisa

Dona in Dallas, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

I would check out MTDaily and see if you can talk to other graduates of Andrews School. It would also be helpful if you talked to Linda, the founder of the school. People who graduate from the better schools are hired upon graduation. In fact, prospective employers go TO Linda so that she will post openings on her forum for the graduates to apply.

I've also heard the 2-year thing, but you need to first talk to the founder of the school at Andrews or one of the top instructors and then maybe even some working graduates from there. Considering that you've been through your schooling already, you would probably fly through the books with Andrews and get done in minimal time, so it's something to consider.

Graduates come on the forum often to mentor and to announce they've been hired, to encourage and keep people motivated.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.