how to get a home position

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 228)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Amari

83 months ago

Thankyou for your comments. You have been very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Logan, Utah

83 months ago

Heather Jo in Logan, Utah said: I work for both OSI and United transcription, but I have worked for McKay-Dee Hospital for a long while here in Utah. I make 9 cents a line when I type and 4.5 when I QA, which is pretty standard. Its just about what you know and how much time you spend looking things up. I rarely find something I have to look up (maybe 4-5 times a day), so I am faster than most. I have experience training too, and I have helped people learn faster ways to find terms, which helps so much.

I live here in Logan and want to begin doing medical transcription. I can do it all morning everyday, but I do have an 8 month-old daughter so it may be difficult to work onsite. Do you have any suggestions or would you be willing to help me out here in Logan? Your comments have proven to be very helpful. Thank you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

bmsluder in East Liverpool, Ohio

82 months ago

Shubhda Chaube in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I am an experienced MT interested in working from home. Is there anyone to share their workload?

Did you ever get a job as an MT? If so, what did you do, how did you approach the job market?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

bmsluder in East Liverpool, Ohio

82 months ago

Heather Jo in Logan, Utah said: I have been a transcriptionist for 7 years and I'm here to say, I make a lot of money, enough to put myself and my husband through school with no loans and I'm only 23. I started at home, worked in a hospital for a few years during college, and I'm now back at home. I don't know what is wrong with the people who say they have done it several years or more and only make a little more than minimum wage. I make between 25 and 30 an hour and I've worked for several different companies and never had problems with work being bottlenecked. I can make as much money as I let myself. Work is out there, you just get what you put into it.

Thank you Heather for your comments...I am a new recruiter for an IT school, that offers MT training. I am hearing all the nay-sayers, but it's good to know that there is someone out there that is actually making it happen...let me know, are you still making it happen?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

rojolottner in Grand Rapids, Michigan

82 months ago

Wow, sounds like so many are not liking the downturn in our work. Folks, nowadays, everyone has had to make cuts because almost every type of work has suffered under our economy. I think anyone looking for a high paying job is out of luck. Best you can hope for is minimum wage. As for MT work going off shore, there are those who are still lobbying Congress to add to the HIPAA regulations that things like transcription work cannot be outsourced outside the USA as the USA cannot bind them to the HIPAA regs. I have also tried VR and agree that it is not worth it. Too many errors, too much correcting for very little per line. Now, should they start paying more per line or report, I'll try it again. As for EMR, they will still need transcriptionists as there will always be doctors who want to concentrate on just healing people and leave the clerical-type work to us. The work is out there, it's just harder to find. I'm still looking but have confidence I will find something soon; just a matter of a good fit is what all employers in all fields of work are looking for now that they have so many applicants for one position.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

wendyparrish in Tyler, Texas

82 months ago

Question! I went to school back ten years ago and obtained a Certificate of Proficiency in Medical Transcription, but I never used this as I was unaware of assistance programs to help with finding a job after graduation. I found a data entry job, working for an insurance company, processing referrals for HMO and MC products. Thus, I stayed abreast of medical terminology to a degree. After four years working with the company, it shut down in our area and everyone was laid off. It was a pay-per-performance job that I was able to make bonus money in addition to my normal salary, as my accuracy and speed were excellent. Thus, I fell to the bottom of the work force after losing this job. With no experience in MT and years past since my graduation, I still could not get my foot in the door of this field. I found another job at a doctor's office, but it was working on the other end of the insurance spectrum. I didn't like it and quit after a year. I now work for an appraisal company, transcribing dictated appraisal information of commercial equipment and inventory. I come across medical equipment, but it is not the same as medical transcription. Can I still use my education from a decade ago to find a work-at-home job for additional income? Or, did I go to school just to accrue another debt as I've thought all these years? I now have an associate degree in science and thought of continuing my education in a new area altogether. I am 33 years old, but I feel just out of high school trying to figure out what to do once again. I want to make a career change or work from home. My husband and I have four children, and I want to contribute more financial stability to our home. My current job is fine, but I work for a small company. There is no room for advancement here, and I cannot continue to make this smaller salary while financial obligations increase. However, I do not want to continue my education if it will be just another debt for me. Any suggestions

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

lisez in Cookeville, Tennessee

82 months ago

I am currently looking into starting at career step to become a Mt. I am bilingual and think I can do great at this career has a stay at home mom. Currently work a fulltime job and all the money is going Day care and will be spending more when summer is here and school is out. Is this a good move for me? Please advise ? Getting scared after reading so many negatives?

Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Bilingual is usually in high demand. I am not bilingual and have had to not even look at jobs requiring bilingual. If you're doing this to eliminate daycare expenses, my advice would be no. You should still have someone watch your child while your working as children are a huge distraction, especially at first, when they need to learn to leave you alone and you need to learn not to let them distract you and concentrate on your work. That is why many of the at home transcriptionists I have worked with have gone back to using daycare until their children get old enough to care for themselves with very little involvement of you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Rojolottner in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: Bilingual is usually in high demand. I am not bilingual and have had to not even look at jobs requiring bilingual. If you're doing this to eliminate daycare expenses, my advice would be no. You should still have someone watch your child while your working as children are a huge distraction, especially at first, when they need to learn to leave you alone and you need to learn not to let them distract you and concentrate on your work. That is why many of the at home transcriptionists I have worked with have gone back to using daycare until their children get old enough to care for themselves with very little involvement of you.

my son is 8 years old he can work alone a long has I am at home he will not disturb in less he needs something or emergency.. my husband was reading all the negatives and is weried that i graduate from carrer step and be left with no job.

Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

medical transcriptist or coding dont know what to do..with this new health plan from the whote house the hospitals are going to need medical transcriptionist..what is your take on this??please let me know??

Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

WOW in Jackson, Michigan said: WOW, There really are some hateful and angry people here.

Someone who knows. Did you work WITH women? Because if you did that would be why you appear so psychotic here.

What about working from home? 17 years?

Why were you so rotten to the nurse? Do you know what it is like to be a nurse? Talk about working with hateful women.

Your "reputation" from being an MT wouldn't be what is keeping you out of the work force it is your psychotic behavior.

I just stumbled across this site to investigate business opportunities in MT. You have totally polluted this site with your anonymous psychotic behavior.

Unfortunately since you are the only one carrying on about this field this way I wonder if it is a personal problem for you and not typical of the the MT prospect.

If you want to get a message across about the field you should try not coming across like a lunatic. I get the feeling that these hateful women around you didn't care for your psychotic behavior so you came here to try to abuse people.

I would really like to know what your rational is about hating this field so much but I'm afraid you have no "rational" in you. You aren't getting any message across about the field here, the only message is that you are nuts.

THANK YOU! Someone Who Knows knows nothing! Could it be that person simply was not good enough to be a transcriptionist? I think so, why else would she/he hate it so much. I have been in this field for almost 10 years now after having worked in an office for insurance companies. Even though I had a good knowledge of medical terminology, I still had to go through intensive training on terminology and spelling of the words. MT reputation has gone down mostly because of foreign MTs and USA MT schools who are more interested in getting your tuition money than training you right. I LOVE this work and would recommend to anyone. Anyway, thank you for defending us against this lunatic!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Well, if your son is that independent, wonderful! Sounds like you are all set to work at home doing anything. Keep looking. There was a time when companies wanted experienced only, but I am seeing more and more willing to take on "newbies". Tell you husband for me that most of these bad comments are coming from people who did not put in 100% effort and thought MT would be easy work at home then found out how difficult the work can be so were a bit disillusioned. As long as you go in knowing that it's not as easy as it seems, you will do well. During these tough times, any job is hard to find (especially if you live in Michigan like I do!) so your husband would be worried no matter what field you get into. Keep trying, you will find something!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Wow, wish I could give you an informed comment but I really can't. I have never tried medical coding; however, my husband's ex-wife just completed her schooling and got a job almost right away in medical coding/billing. The company she works for sends her out of state, once to New York. I don't know how much she is paid. She likes her job and her work just as I like MT work. This probably isn't helping you much but I don't really have any other knowledge of the coding field other than the obvious success of my husband's ex. Good luck.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Louisville, Kentucky

81 months ago

I have been working in transcription 20 years, and it has been perfrect for me. As with any job, there are good and bad aspects.

There is quite a bit of difference in pay depending on who you work for. The large companies have a lot of foreign accent doctors and that really slows down the pay, but it can be a good stepping stone to get experience. There are lots of jobs and good benefits.

The issue today is voice activation, and I am not sure how it will impact the demand for medical transcription, but it has to lower the demand. Still, there will be need for editors.

The school you go to is critical. Must be one that employers will hire from that give you hands on experience. If you can then pass the test, you can find a job.

The greatest part is working from home, saving time in transportation and gasoline. I hightly recommend it, but it is not an easy job to get into, and much more difficult at first than it will be once you get experience.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Valencia, California

81 months ago

Rose in Louisville, Kentucky said: I have been working in transcription 20 years, and it has been perfrect for me. As with any job, there are good and bad aspects.

There is quite a bit of difference in pay depending on who you work for. The large companies have a lot of foreign accent doctors and that really slows down the pay, but it can be a good stepping stone to get experience. There are lots of jobs and good benefits.

The issue today is voice activation, and I am not sure how it will impact the demand for medical transcription, but it has to lower the demand. Still, there will be need for editors.

The school you go to is critical. Must be one that employers will hire from that give you hands on experience. If you can then pass the test, you can find a job.

The greatest part is working from home, saving time in transportation and gasoline. I hightly recommend it, but it is not an easy job to get into, and much more difficult at first than it will be once you get experience.

Hi . What are the best schools for MT. Medline looked good to me becasue of a paid intership. Is that a good one?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

karmill in Glendale, Arizona

81 months ago

I am looking into going to Career Institute for MT training, has anyone gone there? There is a lot of negative responses, what else do you recommend when you say do something else? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Valencia, California

81 months ago

karmill in Glendale, Arizona said: I am looking into going to Career Institute for MT training, has anyone gone there? There is a lot of negative responses, what else do you recommend when you say do something else? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

I looked into Career Institute also. I liked Medline because of the option of being a paid intern which would turn into a job. After reading all these posts im just kind of discouraged and confused.I was trying to find a job whoch would let me work from home becuase my son has to be homeschool due to heath reasons. I would hate to spend the money and time in a school and then find out it was not the right one and I cannot get a job.

Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Saltillo, Mississippi

81 months ago

I also make a comfortable living doing MT. I love it. Where else can you do that and sit at home in your PJ's, go pick up the kids, get dinner ready, etc. I made over $60,000 last year.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

marcie in Lilbourn, Missouri

81 months ago

Jenny in Saltillo, Mississippi said: I also make a comfortable living doing MT. I love it. Where else can you do that and sit at home in your PJ's, go pick up the kids, get dinner ready, etc. I made over $60,000 last year.

Did you go to school or did it on your own? I live in a very small community. I got my medical term. certificate at a tech school nearby. I have been a aide for special needs children for the past 10 years and I was wanting to work from home.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

hb in Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania

81 months ago

are you aware that transamassociates is a scam?

Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

hb in Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania said: are you aware that transamassociates is a scam?

What proof do you have to support this statement?

Reply - Report abuse

hb in Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

You should always look these companies up to make sure they are legitimate. I looked transamassociates up and all that came up were warning signs about their company. I decided to take their test...which was 45 seconds long....done by a digital voice no less! Most legit companies have you take a test with a real voice, and are much much longer than 45 seconds long. A seven year old could've taken this test. They emailed me back telling me that I had passed the test and that I needed to pay them money for their software and extra books before they proceeded with an interview....Most legit companies supply that for you at no cost. I got suspicious so I emailed them back asking why I had to pay for this stuff, and who they have done work for. Needless to say, they never emailed me back-SCAM.

Reply - Report abuse

TJ in New York, New York

80 months ago

I cannot believe TransAm Associates is still out there! If you want information on their scam, you can go to any messageboard about MTs and you will find out plenty. For example, go to www.mtchat.com and pose a question abut TransAm Associates to the seasoned and experienced MTs who are on that site and see what they say. Do not, I repeat, do not pay TransAm Associates any money for their "software" (which is worthless unless you are working for them, and by the way, you will work for free for them because you will never ... according to them ... get good enough to be paid).

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

TJ in New York, New York said: I cannot believe TransAm Associates is still out there! If you want information on their scam, you can go to any messageboard about MTs and you will find out plenty. For example, go to www.mtchat.com and pose a question abut TransAm Associates to the seasoned and experienced MTs who are on that site and see what they say. Do not, I repeat, do not pay TransAm Associates any money for their "software" (which is worthless unless you are working for them, and by the way, you will work for free for them because you will never ... according to them ... get good enough to be paid).

Thanks for the warning! I think I will look into doing something else. This doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

TJ in New York, New York said: I cannot believe TransAm Associates is still out there! If you want information on their scam, you can go to any messageboard about MTs and you will find out plenty. For example, go to www.mtchat.com and pose a question abut TransAm Associates to the seasoned and experienced MTs who are on that site and see what they say. Do not, I repeat, do not pay TransAm Associates any money for their "software" (which is worthless unless you are working for them, and by the way, you will work for free for them because you will never ... according to them ... get good enough to be paid).

Thanks for the warning! This is very helpful.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

georgie in Glenwood City, Wisconsin

80 months ago

Jenny in Saltillo, Mississippi said: I also make a comfortable living doing MT. I love it. Where else can you do that and sit at home in your PJ's, go pick up the kids, get dinner ready, etc. I made over $60,000 last year.

What sort of training do you have?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

hb in Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania said: You should always look these companies up to make sure they are legitimate. I looked transamassociates up and all that came up were warning signs about their company. I decided to take their test...which was 45 seconds long....done by a digital voice no less! Most legit companies have you take a test with a real voice, and are much much longer than 45 seconds long. A seven year old could've taken this test. They emailed me back telling me that I had passed the test and that I needed to pay them money for their software and extra books before they proceeded with an interview....Most legit companies supply that for you at no cost. I got suspicious so I emailed them back asking why I had to pay for this stuff, and who they have done work for. Needless to say, they never emailed me back-SCAM.

How do you go about checking to see if a school is legit? I am not sure how to do this? Is there a website that you can go on & can you check out any school?
Thanks!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

liquidroof in Shelton, Connecticut

80 months ago

Its really very difficult to give you an accurate idea because i have checked it out and found that the procedure is also different in different areas.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Pao in Dagupan City, Philippines

80 months ago

Thanks for your information. May I know if your a company from the USA hiring MT (home-based). I can help. If you will give me a chance I will do my best to meet your requirements and do the job.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Escobab in Cape Coral, Florida

79 months ago

justme in Palm Coast, Florida said: To the person who wrote this, it's grammAr, not grammEr. I wish you had never responded, you make the rest of us look just as illiterate as the Indians! Geez!

Excuse me but please don't go about making an absolute fool of yourself by calling Indians "illiterate" on a forum like this one! Indians are where they are simply by the virtue of their hard work, dedication, and resilience...they are definitely better workers than most American fat ladies who are nothing short of snobs and who want to get paid more for doing less or if possible, for doing nothing at all!

Reply - Report abuse

Ladysaintsfantoo in New Orleans, Louisiana

79 months ago

Kathy in Springfield, Illinois said: You need to learn English!!! There are so many grammer mistakes in your sentence, nobody would hire you

The truth is, your English could use help as well. The word is grammar, not grammer and a corrected version of your sentence would be:
"Your sentence contains so many grammatic errors that noboby would hire you".

Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

The truth is, your English could use help as well. The word is grammar, not grammer and a corrected version of your sentence would be:
Your sentence contains so many grammatic errors that nobody would hire you.

Reply - Report abuse

dfer in Chickamauga, Georgia

79 months ago

I hate to say, but to all of you ladies raging with one another, I don't care what school you go to, experience, experience, experience makes all the difference. If you haven't had English, well you need to. And, to Brownstown, Indiana, I am far from a stupid typist, I have nursed and trust me when I am typing a report, I want to know what things mean, when most nurses don't know what things mean. And as far as being hateful and rude, please, please, please go back and read what has been typed on this site, including yourself, and that is RUDE.

Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

It's apparent that you are clueless because if you weren't, you'd know that there is nothing wrong with my sentence. At the end of the sentence, I merely used her wording. I agree with the comment that we've strayed from the important purpose of this discussion. I was only standing up for the person who was insulted for expressing herself in her own way. There was no need to take a pot-shot at her or at me for defending her. I won't take up any more space with useless banter. That being said, I'm done.

Reply - Report abuse

Rojo in Grand Rapids, Michigan

79 months ago

Escobab in Cape Coral, Florida said: Excuse me but please don't go about making an absolute fool of yourself by calling Indians "illiterate" on a forum like this one! Indians are where they are simply by the virtue of their hard work, dedication, and resilience...they are definitely better workers than most American fat ladies who are nothing short of snobs and who want to get paid more for doing less or if possible, for doing nothing at all!

Honestly, I agree Indians should not be called illiterate, they can't help that English is not their primary language thus making it difficult for them to properly construct a sentence or even spell properly. But, you just made a fool of yourself for what you said about American workers. We Americans would not have gotten very far if we were what you describe. As for myself, I take great pride in the fact that all my employers, what few there are, have awarded me for my excellent quality work and I continue to produce said work...oh, and I am born and bred American. I produce a quality product and I expect to get top pay for that as should an Indian worker, a Chinese worker, any worker. We have to correct the horrible grammar of the doctors to make them look good, we should be compensated fairly for that.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Rojo in Grand Rapids, Michigan

79 months ago

Dorothy in Denison, Texas said: The thing you're not understanding here is that I work about 60 hours a week, producing about 290 lines an hour!! That equates to $13 an hour - This is after 15 years as a CMT!! I'm not just out of school (at which time I was barely making minimum wage). I've been a licensed MT for over 15 years.

Also, I am positive that you cannot have a child at home and produce 2900, 65-character lines per day to earn that $800 a week. It just doesn't work that way.

I myself, at the age of 44, am going back to school this year to earn my nursing degree because working 240 hours a month to earn $3200 (minus health insurance, etc.) is not any kind of deal.

BTW, I had to pass a VERY rigorous transcription test in order to be able to work for this company. They do not hire transcriptionists with less than 3 years of acute care experience.

Good luck to you!

You need to clarify, especially when making such horribly untrue comments, that what you were doing was VR editing, not actual transcribing. You were actually getting paid pretty good for VR editing at 4.5 cents per line (yeah, that's how the math comes out based on the figures you gave above) as the companies I have applied to pay only 3.5 cents per line average. Actual transcription pay on average 6.5-7.5 cents per line, twice as much as the average for VR editing. Stop scaring people away just because you couldn't cut it! I love this work and will never switch. VR editing is not as accurate as it is advertised to be thus will not soon be taking over completely, there will still be actual transcribing to be done for a long long time.

Reply - Report abuse

TJ in Brooklyn, New York

79 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Don't throw stones. Your sentence would read better if you used "grammatical" as the adjective.

Have a nice holiday.

Yes, the sentence would read better if it contained an actual word in the english language!

Newflash to Ladysaintsfantoo:

"Grammatic" is not even a word. "Grammatical" is a word, and, furthermore, would be the correct one to use in that sentence.

Reply - Report abuse

TJ in Brooklyn, New York

79 months ago

Ladysaintsfantoo in New Orleans, Louisiana said: It's apparent that you are clueless because if you weren't, you'd know that there is nothing wrong with my sentence. At the end of the sentence, I merely used her wording. I agree with the comment that we've strayed from the important purpose of this discussion. I was only standing up for the person who was insulted for expressing herself in her own way. There was no need to take a pot-shot at her or at me for defending her. I won't take up any more space with useless banter. That being said, I'm done.

Before you come back with another nasty remark, Google your made-up word, "grammatic," and you will get this result:

Did you mean: grammatical

Reply - Report abuse

TJ in Brooklyn, New York

79 months ago

LOL@myself!

I double-checked and grammatic is an actual word.

See what happens when we try and play "spelling and word usage monitor?"

We sometimes make idiots of ourselves!

Reply - Report abuse

efeMera in Gadsden, Alabama

79 months ago

Hi everyone :-)

I'm enrolled with FTCC's Career Step program. I'm in the first half of the course and running out of time. I was wondering if anyone knows how much an extension costs or if FTCC even allows one?

Thanks!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

lala in Petal, Mississippi

79 months ago

I live in MS also. I was wondering what company you work for making $60,000?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Carthage, Missouri

78 months ago

Msnider in Catron, Missouri said: Could you tell me what I could do next? I got my medical terminology cert. and have trying to find out how and what to do next. Seems no one will answer my emails or they want me to pay them something for the information. I would greatly appreciate anything you could tell me.

I am also interested in more information on what you had to do and where you went through to find the work.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Branson, Missouri

78 months ago

sandinmytoes in Los Angeles, California said: I am not sure how this system got that I am from "Brownstown, Indiana," but that is highly incorrect. I have worked in hospitals in a major metropolitan area.

^^^HOW MANY TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO TYPE THAT? IS IT REALLY NECESSARY FOR YOU TO KEEP REPEATING YOURSELF? FRANKLY WHO GIVES A RAT'S BEHIND???

^^

okay so the rude person on here needs to get a life and stop badgering others with nonsense! There are many more things to be concerned with in life than how many times something is posted... if you don't want to read it again than scroll the page down... not a difficult task for normal people...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Branson, Missouri

78 months ago

TJ in Brooklyn, New York said: Yes, the sentence would read better if it contained an actual word in the english language!

Newflash to Ladysaintsfantoo:

"Grammatic" is not even a word. "Grammatical" is a word, and, furthermore, would be the correct one to use in that sentence.

my goodness people! it is like reading posts from a bunch of elementary kids fighting on the playground!!! stop wasting your time on being rude and do something productive... what good does it do you? really?!

Reply - Report abuse

Royal in Knoxville, Tennessee

78 months ago

I decided to go into medical transcription to stay home with my sick daughter. Klaire is three years old and suffers from a rare chromosome disorder. Me or my husband have to be with her 24/7. I need a job transcribing, even if I start part-time. If anyone can help, please email me at sampson7@bellsouth.com
Thanks,
Royal

Reply - Report abuse

Royal in Knoxville, Tennessee

78 months ago

I'm sorry, the correct email to the above post is sampson7@bellsouth.net

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Pensacola, Florida

77 months ago

efeMera in Gadsden, Alabama said: Hi everyone :-)

I'm enrolled with FTCC's Career Step program. I'm in the first half of the course and running out of time. I was wondering if anyone knows how much an extension costs or if FTCC even allows one?

Thanks!

Contact FTCC about extension information ASAP before your course ends!! :)

This wasn't your question but I thought I would share a few things that are helping me get more done.

1. Word Building & Anataomy: Print off the lessons/exercises and do the matching exercises on paper first. Matching is much harder on a computer screen for me. When you print highlight the lesson and then a print selection/apply or else it prints off pages and pages of things you don't need. Those 2 were the most time consuming sections for me.

2. Anataomy: print off the pictures and tape them to your computer screen when you are going through that part. I still made mistakes, but that made it much easier not to have to scroll up and down for the fill in the blank exercises.

3. Don't get stuck on one page. If you do it 2x and still get below an 85% just move on. You can look at the expanded completion report for that section first thing the next day and work on those pages then. Doing it first thing really seems to help when you are not so tired. I know I have laughed at myself the next day thinking why was I so fustrated. :) This way you don't get bogged down.

4. I found I have to leave my home to really get a lot done. I started going to the library and have made so much progress. Our car is without a/c and it is hot to travel and a lot to pack up/carry but it's worth it. Mon - Wed the library is not as crowded. I bring my laptop and let my son play games on it while I work on a library computer. Friday afternoons I will usually get kicked off after my sign-up time is over because people are waiting. I've also gone to Whataburger with wifi when the library is closed.

Hang in there! :)

Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Pensacola, Florida

77 months ago

Royal in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I'm sorry, the correct email to the above post is sampson7@bellsouth.net

If you qualify for a pell grant, San Juan College has the Career Step program. That would be less out of pocket expense for you if you can get a federal grant (fafsa.gov) towards your tuition fees. They are in New Mexico if you need to search for their school code when doing the FAFSA application.

"The Language of Medicine" is a GREAT book. Look on Amazon for an inexpensive copy of the 6th edition. I bought one without the CD for under $10. I would start to work through that while you look at training programs. It will help you a lot when you start an MT program.

HTH :)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

TJ in Kingsport, Tennessee

77 months ago

Tootie in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Good Luck, I have ten years experience and got laid off from my last two jobs. It is bad career move because there is nothing out there right now.

I second that. I have 7 years experience and lost my job six months ago due to doctor leaving area. Almost all doctors/hospitals in my area are going with EMR. I'm about to give up on finding transcription work in Kingsport, TN.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

77 months ago

madaline in Cleveland, Ohio said: I don't thing experience has anything to do with being a MT. It is the school you get your training from. M-Tech, Andrews, and Career Step are the schools that companies will hire from, with no other experience needed. These schools will waive the 2 years needed. A lot of these companies will hire as soon as you graduate--some do not even require you to test for them--as long as you come from one of these schools. Those of you who went to Penn Foster, you wasted you time and money. This school is not going to get you a MT job. I am a graduate from CS and received a job offer four days after graduating. It is possible. Good luck to you all!

Sorry, I don't believe you. At all. Experience DOES matter. Employers will NOT waive experience in leu of which school you went to. DO NOT mislead people. MT especially is hard to get into, with electronic voice recognized software, most physicians do their own dictation. There are available jobs, but they are hard to come by.

I almost think you work for one of the schools......

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.