heard about getting a job, it made me question whether this

was a line of work I wanted to continue to stay with. I am

so glad to hear that there is something out there for us that

may be of help. I would definitely welcome this. Would you

be sending this U.S. Mail?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TC in Hartville, Missouri

69 months ago

I would like a copy of the guidebook sent to me through email if that would be alright. My email address is tkchenoweth98@yahoo.com. I have 17 weeks left before I graduate and receive my degree in Medical Transcription and I am having difficulty finding jobs that take new graduates. Thank you. It will be greatly appreciated.

TC, Missouri

Deb Long in Mount Sterling, Iowa

68 months ago

I graduated last month from MT course offered through our local collage. I feel like I should have researched this type of work better, because there are no jobs in this area, and I do not have the experience to work at home. I graduated with a 4.0 and did over 200 hours of clinical practice, but I am still looking for work.....any suggestions would be helpful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorlyn in Cherokee, Iowa

68 months ago

Hi Deb,

I am also from Iowa and I am sure you have checked locally to where you live and have found there to be nothing open in that field? It is tough in Iowa - people tend to keep their jobs quite a long time and openings are just not available unless someone dies or moves. Anyway, have you tried signing up for the MTJobs newsletter? Check out MTStar as they list job openings on their site - join some MT forums - search some out through Yahoo groups - I am signed up with 3 different ones on there and there is also one through Google groups also that I am signed up with - sometimes people on these sites hear of openings in their own companies and can sometimes help you get a contact that may help give you a better chance at locating work.
I have been searching for 3 years for work with a national company, but because I do not have any acute care experience I am not being given a chance to spread my wings. I think it is unfortunate that so many ads one reads on becoming an MT makes it sound so glamorous and that you will make $45,000 a year and there is plenty of work. What they fail to tell you is yes you have to have an education or we won't even look at your resume and then if you do not have acute care experience you education means nothing - doesn't matter that you got a high score in school - it is not the real world and they don't want the expense of having to train you. The training I took never once said there was going to be problems locating work - I probably would have chose a different route. I keep checking all these places out and have had the opportunity to test with companies, but still waiting for the right company to give me a chance - isn't that what every person needs at some point in their life - not asking for the moon - just a chance! If you have questions, you can contact me off group.

Hope it helps some!

Lori

manelson1976 in Brainerd, Minnesota

68 months ago

I was reading thie forum about the handbook and would like it too if possible. My town has a free one hour senminar work at home be a medical transcriptioninst on Thursday June 6th and thought this woulod be a great opportunity to work from home. But reading all these formus I'm having second thoughts.

manelson1976@yahoo.com is my e-mail

Thanks

Natalie in Greer, South Carolina

68 months ago

Lorraine McGuire in Columbia, Tennessee said: Hi, go and check out www.inscribe.us who not only is a transcription company but also has it's own online university. After a internship and as the positions are available we hire our students....

This company does not support Windows Vista. Is it worth the cost of purchasing a different Window program just to test with this company?

leighmelton@mchsi.com in Naples, Florida

68 months ago

cj in Byron, IL said: I want to become a medical transcriptionist, but most of the want ads I see require 1-2 years experience. Where do I get experience if no one is hiring a recent graduate?

I started out working in the office of radiology as a file clerk. When a transcription job became available I was the first one in line. Also, if you want to do medial records transcription, do the same, start out in the office filing or answering the phone. Good luck!

Michelle in Cowden, Illinois

68 months ago

Hello Teresa in Iowa. I am interested in doing part-time medical transcription work. I graduated in December with a degree in medical transcription. I do not have much experience but I am very interested in getting started. My only experience is transcribing three cancer webinars for the American Urology Association. If interested, please email me at drakeandmarlismom@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Martha Irwin in Erie, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

I also would like the opportunity to test. Like the other "newbies", jobs are hard to find without the experience. My email address is bishwin55@yahoo.com.

68 months ago

I am still trying to "land" my first MT position. If you have a "Craigs list" in your area, check it out. We, as newbies seem to be in the same position. Hang it there and persevere!

68 months ago

Please excuse the typo. Hang in there!

lynn in Lake Villa, Illinois

67 months ago

Teresa in Solon, Iowa said: I am looking for a transcriptionist to do oncology/hematology clinic dictation (not as intimidating as it sounds). I will have my test site up and running in a couple days. If interested in testing with us, let me know and I will let you know the particulars on the testing site. I would like to hire a fellow Iowan, and am willing to give new grads a chance, if they test well.

Hi Teresa,
I would like to test for you. I have degrees in Teaching and Clinical nutrition/Biology. I have related experience writing IEP's (Individualized Education Plans) while teaching Special Education. I love to write on my computer and have had extensive knowledge with medical terminology due to my Nutrition/Biology degree. Here's my email address Hoosierlynn@yahoo.com

dlong in Keosauqua, Iowa

67 months ago

Teresa in Solon, Iowa said: I am looking for a transcriptionist to do oncology/hematology clinic dictation (not as intimidating as it sounds). I will have my test site up and running in a couple days. If interested in testing with us, let me know and I will let you know the particulars on the testing site. I would like to hire a fellow Iowan, and am willing to give new grads a chance, if they test well.

Hi Teresa,
I just checked back here and saw your reply....do you still have the test site available? I would be interested in checking it out.
Thanks,
deb

Teresa in Solon, Iowa

67 months ago

lynn in Lake Villa, Illinois said: Hi Teresa,
I would like to test for you. I have degrees in Teaching and Clinical nutrition/Biology. I have related experience writing IEP's (Individualized Education Plans) while teaching Special Education. I love to write on my computer and have had extensive knowledge with medical terminology due to my Nutrition/Biology degree. Here's my email address Hoosierlynn@yahoo.com

The position has been filled. Thank you.

Kat M in Hinesville, Georgia

67 months ago

Hello all I am currently enrolled in a medical trancriptionist program with the US Career institute. Does anyone have any comments on this schoo?. They have been around for 25 yrs but i haven't heard any of you say you atteneded it, know anyone that did or even mention it. Yeah i was lucky to have the military pay for my schooling but i would still be dissapointed if that money is wasted in a course/school that is not reputable or respected in the industry. Sounds like its hard enough getting work-from-home positions without adding a certification from a not-known school. any words or advise anyone??? would really appreciate it

Dana McKee in Spring Hill, Tennessee

67 months ago

Lorraine McGuire in Columbia, Tennessee said: Hi, go and check out www.inscribe.us who not only is a transcription company but also has it's own online university. After a internship and as the positions are available we hire our students....

Ms. McGuire,

I am interested in finding an oncology/hematology position closer to home. I live on the very north side of Columbia, almost to Spring Hill, and would like to work for a company closer to home. I have a little over 2 years' experience transcribing oncology/hematology for a transcription company in Woolrich, Maine. I find the work exciting! I cannot wait to start work in the morning. I am very interested in talking with you when you have the time. Also, I have a resume I could send to you.

Thank you,

Dana McKee
danamckee@hotmail.com

cmanley2@nc.rr.com in Roxboro, North Carolina

67 months ago

Hello Dana,

I notice your last name is McKee. My maiden name is also McKee. I wonder if your husbands family and I are related. My fathers name is James E. McKee and he does have faimly in New England.

Just wanted to say hi.

Good luck on the job search closer to home.

Charlotte

Katie in Ravenna, Nebraska

66 months ago

Martha Irwin in Erie, Pennsylvania said: I have taken the course from At-Home Professions. It is a very good, accredited course. It is designed so that you can work through the course at your own pace. The material is very well put together and the support from the school is great. I graduated in Februrary '09 and unfortunately, the "newbie" status is still with me as I continue my search for employment.
Marty - Erie, PA

Hi Marty!
I am just starting the At-Home Professions course, and I am glad to hear that someone else had success getting through the course. How long did it take you to get through the course? I should have my materials by the end of the week. I can't wait to get started. I hope I can find a job soon after.

lmm32580 in Valparaiso, Florida

66 months ago

Jessica in Cleveland, Tennessee said: I attended Ashworth when it was previously called PCDI. I just graduated in April from there. I thought it was a great school. My friend's mom graduated from there about 8 years ago and has been working for a company called MedQuist. I am still looking for a home-based position. Whatever you do, do not work for Transam Associates, IT IS A SCAM. I fell for it and you never stop training no matter how good you are, you cannot pass their test. I have yet to find 1 person who has and been paid by them. Well hope this helps and if anyone out there hires newbies, I am a hard worker and willing to learn- (personal contact information removed)

I don't know why everyone thinks Transam Associates is a scam. I have passed their test and have been making money. I just don't understand why everyone thinks they are a scam.

jami in Grand Prairie, Texas

60 months ago

Has anyone ever worked with the AIM mentoring program.

Chrsitna in Westport, New York

60 months ago

Teresa - Well I hope you were successful with your new venture with transcription. I am another new grad. looking for work. If you are up and running, please e-mail me and I would be glad to test for you. I'm not sure how I found this website "complaints" area, but at least I know I am not the only one with dreams of transcribing; but disappointed with the "minimum of 2 years" experience required. c82steen@westelcom.com Thanks Christina

Melissa Bishop in Topeka, Kansas

59 months ago

Heather in Birmingham, Alabama said: Has anyone heard anything positive or negative about Ashworth Career School's medical transcription program out of Georgia? I am a stay at home mom, looking into the medical transcription programs-but it seems that there are so many scams. So, I was just wondering if anyone knows for sure that this training school is legit.
Thanks for any input!
-Heather

I am actually getting my Medical Transcription certificate through Ashworth. I have 4 lessons left then I graduate.

leann4mk in Kent, Washington

59 months ago

Red Pen in Seattle, Washington said: SORRY--correcting typo error!
I am a student at Medworkshops, and am just finishing up my course and getting to start my Mentored Internship program. I would recommend checking them out at www.medworkshops.com . I have been very happy with my traning and chose them due to their internship program and guaranteed job offer. Without those things, it's easy to spend a lot of money and time on a program only to find that you can't find a job. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about my experience in their course.

Excited to find you on here. I'm waiting for my books to arrive. My start date is the 1st.

camcf1228 in Hernando, Florida

57 months ago

Does anyone know how to access the test for Medquist. It keeps redirecting me as in an error page.

angelamoniquetom in San Mateo, California

52 months ago

leann4mk, I'm soon thinking about joining medworkshops.com. Can you please tell me how your internship went? Were you placed somewhere afterwards?

Christine in Waukesha, Wisconsin in Lansing, Michigan

50 months ago

Thank you very helpful information. I will try some of these and let everyone know how it works.

Maria in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Your school should tell you which companies tend to hire their graduates. Apparently it's true that unless you went to M-tec, Andrews, or Career Step, it's not that easy to start working at home right away. You may need to start in-office or with a mentoring program. People also say you should test with every company that will let you. Before I was hired, I did some research. I'm including the results here:
Some companies that hire new grads-some of them require you to take their test:
www.nemtinc.com/careers.htm NEMT-New England Medical Transcription
www.accustat-mts.com/careers.asp Accustat, Inc.- has mentoring program that pays 4 cpl for new grads
www.medquist.com/ Medquist
www.spheris.com/home.aspx?flash=true Spheris
jobs@qtranscriptions.om Quality Transcription Solutions, LLC (QTS)
www.medwaremt.com/applyonline.html

Mentoring Programs
www.allstatetranscription.com/ AIM Mentoring Program through Allstate Transcription-there is a $100 fee, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about this program.
www.meditec.com/meditec-jumpstart-program.html Meditec’s Jumpstart Program-there is a $400 fee, but I’ve also heard great things about this program.

The following have links to tests on their websites. I don’t know how hard they are, but I’ve been told to make sure you have good references before you start.
www.amphion.mttest.com/
www.transrs.com/careers/default.asp
www.medivoxx.com/
www.md-it.com/

Good resources
forum.mtstars.com/newmts/
www.mtchat.com/frame.php?frame=message

Best of luck to everyone. My heart goes out to all of you who are looking for that first job.

Sparkleboy in Sebastian, Florida

39 months ago

Woody Cock in Tiffin, Ohio said: Maybe you should work on your verb tenses while your at it.

Maybe this person can find an Ebonics speaking doctor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rascalflattgirl in Hollywood, Florida

39 months ago

Woody Cock in Tiffin, Ohio said: Maybe you should work on your verb tenses while your at it.

Why do you have to be so rude? maybe you should work on your manners!

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.