Any reviews for Career Step or Andrews Training Corp?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1301 to 1326 of 1326)
Page:  « First « Previous   24  25  26  27   

KC in Spokane, Washington

5 months ago

momto10cats in Huntersville, North Carolina said: The Career Step program is not an easy one. You really have to work hard and study. It was worth it, though. I know I got the initial interview with the company I work for partly because I was a Career Step honor grad. I would definitely pursue CS as the school to go to, but you have to be very serious about it. After you graduate, you also have to be deligent about finding a job. It's not easy. Entry level jobs are very hard to come by. A big part of actually finding a job is applying at the right time. In other words, A company may not have an entry level opening when you apply on Monday. Then on Tuesday, they do...and the person who applies on Tuesday will be the one who gets the interview. Just remember, after you test/apply, send a followup letter about 10 days later. I applied to over 100 (yes, 100!!) companies. Most of them didn't even respond back to me. Probably because they get 100s of applications a day. You just have to keep a positive attitude and know that the right job is out there. I didn't accept alot of job offers because they weren't the right fit for me...but when the right one came along, I jumped on it. If anyone has any questions about Career Step, please email me at lindasanmt@catpeoplerule.com

Hi, I tried emailing you but couldn't get through. As far as their job placement program goes, I keep hearing it is not that great - however I am not real concerned as I have 5 years of medical billing experience. I'd like to be a medical coder. However I want to know if there's any resume/cv writing help that is available after you're certified or complete the program?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

PMRNC in Plattsburgh, New York

5 months ago

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois said: KC,

Yes, Career Step offers post graduation assistance including a one on one consultation with a career advisor and individual review of your resume and cover letter, as well as other tutorials and training to prepare you for interviews. You have access to the graduate help hotline for a year. In addition, the cost of tuition includes a voucher for a medical coding exam (up to a $325 value).
Your years of medical billing experience will definitely give you a leg up when applying for jobs and transitioning to a medical coding position is a great step up as far as salary and career path.
referral.careerstep.com/mc?ref=36530

We get a lot of Career Step students that join our Association and are really not fully prepared. As far as job placement, I can't comment only to say that those that do join us are looking for jobs and don't possess the qualifications most certification exams require to pass.

Linda Walker
PMRNC
Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
www.billerswebsite.com
Medical Billing Resources, Education, Certifications & Networking

Reply - Report abuse

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois

5 months ago

PMRNC in Plattsburgh, New York said: We get a lot of Career Step students that join our Association and are really not fully prepared. As far as job placement, I can't comment only to say that those that do join us are looking for jobs and don't possess the qualifications most certification exams require to pass.

Linda Walker
PMRNC
Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
www.billerswebsite.com
Medical Billing Resources, Education , Certifications & Networking

What are you even talking about? What is your "association"? Your website links to something about medical billing, this is not a field that requires any type of certification so how would you know what Career Step students are prepared for? Career Step has been around for over 20 years and is well respected by employers in the industry. Specifically, Career Step's Medical Coding certification program was written by 2 top AHIMA consultants and is one of the few online programs that are AHIMA approved. AHIMA is one of the 2 organizations out there that certifies all medical coders. The other is the AAPC, and Career Step graduates get all the required education they need to pass Medical Coding exams from both organizations.
Additionally, while this thread often goes off topic into Medcial Coding and Billing, it is originally under the Medical Transcription thread, something your "association" has nothing to do with as far as I can see your website.
It's fine if you want to make others aware of your association and its offerings, but it is completely uncalled for and out of line to imply that a well-respected program leaves graduates unprepared, especially when your organization doesn't even prepare people for the field in question.

Reply - Report abuse

paul59 in Springfield, Illinois

4 months ago

I am going through the program at this time. Having worked my way up to the beginning casework of the Practicum I have reservations about recommending this program to anyone. Bear in mind that I have previously finished a BA degree by independent study but had access to instructor support at any time. With CS I have yet to have any instructor-led discussion or webinar. A daily chat stream (weekday mornings only) seems to fulfill their desire to interact with their students. While there is the ability to email an instructor the feedback from said teachers is far from prompt according to those who've done this. If I were starting this process all over I would definitely look for a classroom environment of some type that actually teaches this material. I understand that CS works in conjunction with a number of community colleges across the U.S. That is the only way I would consider CS or sending someone to this school. Unlike others on this thread I am in no way getting any kind of referral bonus to send people to CS.

Reply - Report abuse

marci521 in Austin, Texas

4 months ago

momto10cats in Huntersville, North Carolina said: I graduated from Career Step in January, and after testing/applying to over 100 companies, I got a job! Career Step was a great school/course. My only problem was that they advertise that they will help/assist in finding employment, but they did not! I found my job on my own...and I paid the extra to be a platinum student for that benefit alone. Career Step is NOT strictly on a cash basis. You can pay with credit , check, or pay installments. Also, I applied for a scholarship and received one. They do not accept Pell Grants. I bought the books, and they have come in handy while working at my job. Don't get me wrong...the school is a great way to learn MT. I feel I am a better MT for having gone through their course. They just shouldn't advertise that they will help you in job placement...and finding a job as a newbee is very hard. You just have to keep applying and testing. Eventually, the right job will come along. RIGHT PLACE/RIGHT TIME!!

Hi, I was currently looking at the career step MTE course and was wondering if you would still recommend the course? My background is in medical coding but I'm ready for something different. I was also a court reporter many years ago and enjoyed editing transcripts so I think I would enjoy editing medical transcripts. The course includes speech recognition editing with MModal software now. They say if you pass with honors, that MModal will interview you and consider you for a job. I was also wondering if the pay was as low as I see some MT's say these days? I'm not looking to get rich, just a job to cover bills. I have a son with a hearing impairment and working from home would be amazing for my family. Any advice would be great!!! You can email me marcia521@hotmail.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Janice R in Normal, Illinois

4 months ago

Barb, are you employed by Career Step? You seem to be their biggest cheerleader.

Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Not an employee, just a satisfied customer who is concerned about some of the misinformation I sometimes see. I do have a friend at work who tried a cheap online program that doesn't even exist anymore, wasted her time and money, soured her on internet courses, before going to her community college for her certification class. I post the facts about Career Step it's been around a long time and isn't some fly-by-night scam. If someone wants or needs the convenience of training at home, I want to make sure they choose a program that will actually deliver.
Yes, that is an affiliate link I post, (I don't make any attempt to hide that, it says "referral" in the link, they give anyone who enrolls a referral link to share). I've had a couple small pleasant surprises in the mail because someone actually enrolled through my link, but it is by no means a source of income!
referral.careerstep.com/ref36530

Reply - Report abuse

pamrobertson59@*****.*** in North Little Rock, Arkansas

4 months ago

Kristen in Temecula, California said: Hello,

I am interested in any commentary on Career Step from graduates. Were you well prepared? I was just reviewing comments in another well known forum who did not have great things to say. THis was the first time I have read anything bad about CS...before I shell out money for training, I want to make sure I am not blind sided.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

I enrolled in Career Step's Medical Coding program 08/11/16. I had been a RN for 15 years, and had a BS degree in biology. After 10 years of retail and restaurant work I wanted to get back into the medical field. I took and passed my final exam in May, and now am preparing to get certified. This program allowed me to study at my pace and allowed me to work at home as I took care of my elderly father. I had hoped to complete the course in 4 months, but realized that speeding through the content was counterproductive. The course was more difficult than anticipated, but now I am very proud of my accomplishment.The need for coders is great, and there are many different career paths available. The staff at Career Step is very supportive and I could not be more pleased with my decision to enroll with them. Good luck!

Reply - Report abuse

PMRNC in Plattsburgh, New York

3 months ago

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois said: Not an employee, just a satisfied customer who is concerned about some of the misinformation I sometimes see. I do have a friend at work who tried a cheap online program that doesn't even exist anymore, wasted her time and money, soured her on internet courses, before going to her community college for her certification class. I post the facts about Career Step it's been around a long time and isn't some fly-by-night scam. If someone wants or needs the convenience of training at home, I want to make sure they choose a program that will actually deliver.
Yes, that is an affiliate link I post, (I don't make any attempt to hide that, it says "referral" in the link, they give anyone who enrolls a referral link to share). I've had a couple small pleasant surprises in the mail because someone actually enrolled through my link, but it is by no means a source of income!
referral.careerstep.com/ref36530

By surprises you mean "BONUS payout's" or "commissions"...??? Because that's what the website says about their "affiliate" program. legacy.careerstep.com/promote

Nothing wrong with posting links, but be a bit more honest about them.

Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

PMRNC in Plattsburgh, New York said: By surprises you mean "BONUS payout's" or "commissions"...??? Because that's what the website says about their "affiliate" program. legacy.careerstep.com/promote

I said "surprise" because its not any kind of regular income so if a referral bonus comes in, it's a "surprise". Like I said before, the link I add says "referral" in it. I think most of America understands how referral links work. I'm happy to inform people about Career Step with or without the referral bonus; it is nice if someone clicks through the link but not expected. Not trying to hide anything or trick anyone, the referral link is given to students, so it is for people who want to share their experience, they don't just give it out to random people to promote Career Step who haven't used the program.

My main motivation in informing people about Career Step is that I was very happy with their program and don't want people to end up like my friend at work who wasted time and money on a "scammy" program that didn't prepare her for the certification exams.
Unfortunately, there is no official accreditation for medical coding programs so it can be hard for people to choose the right one. Career Step is on AHIMA's list of approved programs and has been educating medical office professionals for over 20 years.

Reply - Report abuse

primo in Richmond, Texas

3 months ago

PMRNC in Plattsburgh, New York said: By surprises you mean "BONUS payout's" or "commissions"...??? Because that's what the website says about their "affiliate" program. legacy.careerstep.com/promote

I have been an affiliate for years. Maybe got one check? Here is what I can tell you about the program. It will get you as ready as it can. Not an easy field to jump into. You are learning basically a new language and a new skill (listening ear). I got a job and worked about 4 years doing it, but it was hard work for not a lot of pay. Right now there is something going on with Nuances software from hacking and I guess there is a lot of straight typing, but no shortcuts. I went back to Real Estate when the market rebounded, but the school is well recognized and it prepares you as much as it can. You work from home, but it is not an easy job. My hands used to throb for about 22 to 27K a year.

Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Blair, Nebraska

2 months ago

april64 said: They told me I can complete the course in 4 months for a Coder...Is this realistic..

NO.

Reply - Report abuse

jonilikens in Pineville, Louisiana

2 months ago

I am trying to decide if I want to take medical transcription , or medical coding. I will admit that I am afraid "computers" will be taking over these jobs; and so I am leary! I would not mind part-time, and not mind working out of the home, at first. I am 57, tho and really want something I could do at home. I am changing careers, and can not afford to waste money on a course that I cant get a job for after. Can anyone give me any hints. Is it realistic for me to do this? I hope so. Thanks.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

DeAnna in North Vernon, Indiana

2 months ago

Please do not waste your time or money going for a MT career. I have research this and was considering this myself. I have talked with people who work in this field and they will tell you the same thing. It's a outdated career that has been replaced with overseas workers, that is if anyone is still using a MT. The pay is horrible and the jobs you get are far and few on top of it meaning you have no study income. Any school worth it's weight will not offer this because they know their are no jobs and the pay is pennies per line. I then decided to check out career step and their medical coding and was sold. I signed up and got into the program and ran into problems with little help. I was lost as there isn't much guidance or help like the kind you need. That was money wasted. I decided to go back to school and become a medical assistant and just graduated after two years of schooling. I would go back to school, an actual building with instructors, if your going to try out medical coding because it is very complicated. We had to learn it in the MA program i took and did much better with onsite instructors...still it was difficult but doable. I liked career step and how everything is set up, but for something like coding you really need more guidance then what was provided to understand it. That being said many have taken the program and graduated, so it's doable, but i would not recommend it. Alot of these people already had a foundation and working knowledge of the field but for someone who doesn't your in for a rude awaking once you get into the program. Then your stuck owing money regardless. CS does offer a MT program, but read the forums and you will hear the same sad story again and again, can't find a job, pay is horrible and so forth. Then you have ones on there that claim it changed their life, i personally don't believe they were real students uhmm! Take what i say or leave it, just my two cents and my experiences

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jonilikens in Pineville, Louisiana

2 months ago

Thankyou for your quick reply. In your reply, you said that I would be lost in medical coding unless I had something previously. I was a respiratory therapist for 25 yrs., so some of it I would already know, like medical terminology, and anatomy. I am 57 and need something quick. I was thinking maybe I could find someone to be an apprentice, for me. I was attracted to these, because of my background, and doing them in 4-12 months. The medical coding is more expensive. I am concerned, because it seems that a computer program could quickly do what a coder does, if the doctor transcribes into a computer. Maybe this sounds stupid, but if a doctor transcribes into a computer , could the computer do the same, that a transcriber does? Seems to me, they could. As far as the jobs going overseas, I believe our new president has bought some back, and will continue to. I don't know! I cant do respiratory therapy anymore, because of the damage to my feet. The health careers are good, but there is a quick burnout. So, I am at a loss. Thankyou, again.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

If you can get through career steps coding program you will be able to get a job working from home, more then likely from one of their contacts seeking out coders. Yes, most coding is done through a computer program but they still need someone who knows what they are doing to understand what the program is doing and you have to know how to imput the information, plus understanding how to code a doctor's, surgeon's services provided. Coders in demand isn't going anywhere for a long time and they are highly sought after. It pays so well because it's hard...you really have to know what your doing in that field and be dedicated. If your really set on doing a coding program from home i highly recommend career step then, but be aware you must be able to learn on your own with very little guidance or help and coding is complicated. I sought out many places and career step has all the crediting you want. They do allow you a trial period before you are committed but you really don't know what your getting into until you are further down the program. Most if not every person that makes it through that program finds employment at home through career step. If your really set on doing something from home, that is in high demand and pays very well go through career steps program. I would recommend going to a actual school where you have on sight instructors but i can see you really need and want something you can study from home. Forget about the MT your wasting your time with that...you need to be looking at coding if you want a at home job that is in demand and pays very well. I wanted to do coding so bad, but i just couldn't grasp it. Now that i have my MA i am thinking about going back to school to study coding and give it another shot. I am not in the best of health and having a at home job is very attractive. But i will have to go through a school with instructors like i did with my MA degree. I loved it when we covered it in our MA course requirements, but i struggled

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

what happens is companies who do coding for hospitals and doctor offices look for coders from home. They provide you with a computer and the programs you need. You work off of their computers and data base. They send you the medical records and you code them. You have to be able to read those documents and know how to code them and put it into a computer program. It sounds easy but it's not if you don't know what your doing and even after you know what your doing it takes time and experience to completely master it. All you folks out there looking into MT are missing the boat if you want a at home job that is in demand and pays well...coding is where it's at.

Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Let me tell you how i ended up on this forum. Way back a couple years ago i was in the same boat looking for a at home job and MT seemed to be the way to go. So i subscribed to this forum but never unsubscribed for whatever reason as i never read it anyway. I just happened to read a notification today for whatever reason and saw this discussion so i decided i should take my experience and research and share it. That is the only reason why i am on this forum today. Like i said take what i say or leave it, but i hope those who read it do some research before jumping into a MT program.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

LadyDiana214 in Winnipeg, Manitoba

1 month ago

DeAna in North Vernon said it best....I went into one of these 'MT' courses from home thinking it was doable and while my marks were up there, the support was AWFUL, I spent more time correcting THEIR mistakes than them correcting mine and I sadly came to realize there would be NOTHING for me in this field from home once I was done the course. Over one year i only saw ONE ad for MT's in my city for out of home work and to work from home, the pay was AWFUL! You would think for as much knowledge as you need to do this job the pay would be much better, but as DeAna said, thanks to 'overseas' workers doing these kind of jobs for peanuts, that is what they are only willing to pay now. I think as time goes on and the mistakes made cost more and more, that may change....but for now, you are better off to take a course in a brick and mortar school. There is definitely demand in the medical field, but you can be sure you will have to leave your home to do it to make a decent living. Work from home is mostly minimum wage pay, if that. Been there. Done that.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

LadyDiana214 in Winnipeg, Manitoba

1 month ago

P.S. I also agree with DeAna about the medical coding being the field to go into. I sadly realized that a year too late! Also, I would HIGHLY recommend you take the course in a building where you have the support & help you need b/c if you do it from home, you are TRULY on your own!!! It may not be the best solution for you, BUT if you want your best chance to succeed at doing this, it really is the best way to go. Best of luck to you :)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

michelle78 in Chicago, Illinois

1 month ago

jonilikens in Pineville, Louisiana said: Thankyou for your quick reply. In your reply, you said that I would be lost in medical coding unless I had something previously. I was a respiratory therapist for 25 yrs...

Joni,
If you are looking to complete your training quickly, then you are probably more suited for online options, rather than waiting to go through a 2 year community college program. The training for MT is shorter, however, salaries and job prospects for medical coders are better.
You indicated that you already have a medical background, this is good because you can move through the anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, background curriculum more quickly than most.
Career Step's program is listed at taking 4-6 months to complete, that is if you can devote yourself to full-time study, but also if you have a medical background, you will be able to work through some parts of the material more easily than someone starting from scratch.
Just be careful with online programs because medical coding programs do not have an "official" accreditation process, there are some scammy programs out there that will waste your time and money. Career Step has been educating medical office professionals for over 25 years, is a name recognized by employers, and is one of the few completely online programs that are AHIMA approved. AHIMA is one of the two organizations that certify medical coders.
Keep an eye out, they will often have tuition incentives when you enroll by a certain date. Right now they have an awesome back to school special when you enroll by the end of the month with $600 off tuition. Here is a link to that offer:

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

paul59 in Springfield, Illinois

1 month ago

I have now completed the final and am awaiting my diploma. My thoughts expressed here are all the more true. If one is serious about the medical coding field please go to a classroom where an actual teacher can teach you this material. It is not easy by any means and made more difficult where there's a hands-off approach with regards to instructor involvement as it is with Career Step.

With my test results they were offering 30 minute time slots for a phone conference with an instructor to go over the final. Where was this earlier in the program? To anyone wondering if CS is a legit school or not I will say it is quite legit. But the execution in delivering course content is less than effective by a large degree. If one can simply read and digest complex course material well enough to retain it then you'll do fine. But if you're one who needs interactive lectures, webinars, classroom discussion, etc... this is not for you

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Gene in Loganville, Georgia

1 month ago

Hi, where did you apply for scholarship?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Gene in Loganville, Georgia

1 month ago

Hi, so the IOD company are hiring medical billing/coders for $10 / hr & $15 if you pass their test???

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

paul59 in Springfield, Illinois said: I have now completed the final and am awaiting my diploma. My thoughts expressed here are all the more true. If one is serious about the medical coding field please go to a classroom where an actual teacher can teach you this material. It is not easy by any means and made more difficult where there's a hands-off approach with regards to instructor involvement as it is with Career Step.

With my test results they were offering 30 minute time slots for a phone conference with an instructor to go over the final. Where was this earlier in the program? To anyone wondering if CS is a legit school or not I will say it is quite legit. But the execution in delivering course content is less than effective by a large degree. If one can simply read and digest complex course material well enough to retain it then you'll do fine. But if you're one who needs interactive lectures, webinars, classroom discussion, etc... this is not for you

I tried to go through the medical coding at career step and please people listen to every word he says. His experience was the same as mine. I would offer the same advice word for word. I actually did over in the MT forum and encouraged people to not go that path but go for medical coding, but i did warn them about going through a online course, basically the same thing that this poster said. Career step is a legit school as he stated but..........everything else he said.

Reply - Report abuse

pamrobertson59@*****.*** in North Little Rock, Arkansas

1 month ago

chalena in Oskaloosa, Iowa said: misty,

I have just started the MT course at CS and was wondering did you graduate with "high honors?"

I recently passed my Career Step final for medical coding and billing with a score of 90%, which allowed me to graduate with honors.

Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   24  25  26  27   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.