Are there any medical transcription courses that can be taken online?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

KB in Broadview, Illinois

27 months ago

I'm intrested in becoming a medical transcriptionist and I'm graduating high school soon so I was wondering if there were any classes that can be taken online? Only because I don't plan on going out of state for school and I don't know of any schools that offer it in Illinois.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Glenn in Ellicott City, Maryland

27 months ago

Please research the job opportunities in medical transcription. It is very difficult for a newly trained MT to find work. Jobs are becoming scarce, and employers can now have their pick of experienced transcriptionists. The pay is low, and there is no such thing as an "entry level" MT job, so hiring a newbie because their pay would be lower doesn't happen in this industry. Nearly everyone's pay is low now. Employers are requiring up to 5 years experience, so a newbit has a hard time finding a job. Graduates of the good training programs (i.e., Andrews) can still find jobs, but good training isn't cheap, and even Andrews graduates now can spend several months looking for work. The poor training programs aren't cheap, either, but they are not well regarded by employers, and graduates of the "bargain" training programs seldom find jobs.

If you want to work in the medical field, you would be better served to look at something other than MT as transcriptionists are going the way of the dinosaur.

Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Warsaw in Warsaw, Virginia

26 months ago

A great school is www.mtacc.net. There are still positions out there; you just need to be very well trained.

Amanda in Minden, Nevada

26 months ago

Career Step is one of the top medical transcription schools and they are AHDI approved. AHDI is a medical transcription association that reviews and approves certain schools that meet their high standards. There is a full review of the Career Step course at bestmedicaltranscriptiontraining.com/review.html or you can check out their website at www.careerstep.com/medical-transcription/?uid=ref10077 And it is all online too.

Another thing I would suggest to you is to get your Registered Medical Transcriptionist (RMT) certification through AHDI after you graduate. With a 6% estimated growth rate, you will need to do everything you can to pump up your resume to help you stand out from other applicants. Career Step does also offer graduate assistance after you graduate to help you find a job.

Good luck with your search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

SH in Lake Elsinore, California

25 months ago

Amanda, I'm assuming that you've already gone through the Career Step MT course? Did you find that you were well prepared to work in the field? Also, how easy was it for you to find a job after you completed the course. Are you able to telecommute? I need to be able to work from home for my baby. I am seriously considering joining Career Step. I have been researching for a week now and I spoke with an enrollment advisor from Career Step today.

tlampton in Mount Vernon, Washington

25 months ago

KB.. I work for an MTSO company. We hire a combination of experienced and new people. We like the mix because experienced people out of work often means there is a good reason they are not employed - not all the time of course, but too often they have issues. We like a blend of newbies and exp. Newbies usually have an excellent attitude.

We like the standards of curriculum set by the AHDI, such as the SUM program. We don't care if a school is approved by the AHDI because that is mostly buying an advertising spot on the AHDI site. The SUM program all by itself doesn't guarantee success. Personal attitude and effort is far more important to us. It comes out so clearly when we look at resumes.

We also like internships and personal instruction. We don't like the online only classes because the failure rate of graduates we have hired is too high. We think it is because the student works with a computer program instead of an instructor. Career Step is the main one we avoid.

As stated, we like Andrews except for no internship. We like Kaplan because of the SUM program, still no internship. We like Med Workshops because of the SUM program and internship. There, KB, you have the ones we like.

We don't like M-Tec now that it is owned by a big MTSO like we are. Plus no internship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

BABUSKA in Burnaby, British Columbia

19 months ago

I graduated from CanScribe a couple of months ago and I got a job right away! I work for MModal now from the comfort of my own home!!! I just bought a laptop so i can work from my bed. I wake up in the morning and work from 8am-10 am, take a break.. go to the living room watch a few episodes of my fave show and just get back to work after..i LOVE my job!! and the CanScribe is really awesome.. i graduated with honours!! The teachers are amazing and always interact with you. They even call you once a week to check up on you and see how you are doing with everything!!!! i LOVEEEE CanScribe!!! if any of you are interested just google CanScribe Careeer College! They helped me graduate with honours!!! thanks so much CanScribe!! You should check out their website!! tuition is very good compared to other online school!

KB in Broadview, Illinois said: I'm intrested in becoming a medical transcriptionist and I'm graduating high school soon so I was wondering if there were any classes that can be taken online? Only because I don't plan on going out of state for school and I don't know of any schools that offer it in Illinois.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

donandmar@shaw.ca in Mexico, Mexico

15 months ago

Congratulations BABUSKA in Burnaby on your success. I too will begin working for MModal in May, graduating from MTEC in February. I read so much negativity about this company, and it's a breath of fresh air to hear something good about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.