All these schools...???? Allied, Career Step

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Chell in Gainesville, Florida

51 months ago

I did some research and found out some information about Allied and Career Step, but would like some feedback from those with experience.

I found Allied Schools is accredited by the US department of education through the Distance Education and Training Council, they are given a B+ rating from the Better business bureau, and are approved by AHDI.

Then I found with Career Step is NOT accredited by the US department of education, that they are given an A+ rating from the BBB, and they are also approved by AHDI.

So Accreditation vs Non-Accreditation. What more should I know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

future MT in Alpena, Michigan

51 months ago

Chell in Gainesville, Florida said: I did some research and found out some information about Allied and Career Step, but would like some feedback from those with experience.

I found Allied Schools is accredited by the US department of education through the Distance Education and Training Council, they are given a B+ rating from the Better business bureau, and are approved by AHDI.

Then I found with Career Step is NOT accredited by the US department of education, that they are given an A+ rating from the BBB, and they are also approved by AHDI.

The reason that some businesses get an "A+" is because they are paying members. If you pay the BBB you get a higher score from what I understand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Florence, South Carolina

51 months ago

future MT in Alpena, Michigan said: The reason that some businesses get an "A+" is because they are paying members. If you pay the BBB you get a higher score from what I understand.

The comment regarding being able to "pay" for a high rating with the BBB is erroneous. This is one business that operates solely on the merit of the businesses that are paying members, which is the ONLY thing they pay for - the membership. This in and of itself is creditable. The BBB is one honorable organization designed to help the public and has NOT been caught up in the "just for money" frenzy that makes businesses forget what their original goal was - helping the public with honest, real reports from consumers. Also, regarding "accredited" vs "creditable." The US government advises that anyone can claim they are "accredited" just by forming their own organization and then claiming their alternate business is "accredited" by that other organization. What you need to look for in a school is one that is "creditable" and has a staff of long-time MTs and MT instructors onboard and who are live and available to take you through your course with valuable information from the real world of medical transcription. This coupled with a good textbook course offers you the best bet and should NOT break your bank in enrollment fees. I know because I did this and am enjoying every minute of it. Too many of the "big names" in schools have also forgotten their original intent - to TEACH medical transcription! You want answers and explanations and no penalties if you don't finish in a certain timeframe! Think qualified instructors! Get direct answers and assurance you will have live mentoring and instructors, unlimited, and included in a modest cost! You will be a wonderful MT and spare your nerves and pocketbook! Hope this is helpful! Becky

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

StephanieH in Oxford, Michigan

51 months ago

Has anyone heard of Everett community college? Or Seminole community college? I am debating on which one of these to go to. They both work with FAFSA, and thats why I will choose one of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mama_de_bones in Winnemucca, Nevada

51 months ago

Chell in Gainesville, Florida said: I did some research and found out some information about Allied and Career Step, but would like some feedback from those with experience.

Career Step is a really great school. They are one of the top schools for medical transcription training. I think you will really like it. They are a leader in the industry. They just launched their medical transcription editor course which will teach you everything you need to know about medical transcription as well as medical transcription editing so you can be prepared and trained in both fields. There is no other school out there with that kind of training. Did you take their course demo? They have an online course demo so you can see it beofre you enroll. They have good learning tools that help you stay focused on your training. I do know for a fact that Career Step has medical transcriptionists on staff in many areas such as student support and employment advisors. The founder was an MT for many years before she created the course.

If you want to take a look at that demo I was telling you about, you can go to careerstep.com/demo-mt/?uid=ref10077 to check it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ona in Jonesborough, Tennessee

44 months ago

I am looking into Career Step vs. Kaplan University for Medical Transcriptionist training. There is a big cost difference. Any feedback would be appreciated. I don't want to waste money either way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gigi in Kansas City, Missouri

44 months ago

Ona in Jonesborough, Tennessee said: I am looking into Career Step vs. Kaplan University for Medical Transcriptionist training. There is a big cost difference. Any feedback would be appreciated. I don't want to waste money either way.

I do not want to be a 'Debbie Downer'here but..... I have been in medical transcription for 10 years. While I have made good money doing so, many companies are going to speech recognition programs, and some doctors offices are now even using their own standard forms and just filling in the blanks; thus, using no medical transcriptionists at all. In my opinion, I will be surprised if you can even find a job or make much money at medical transcription 2 or 3 years from now.

Sandra111 in Miami, Florida

44 months ago

I think differently, Medical Recognition Software cannot think, analyze, or make conclusions of its own, but on the other hand a medical transcriptionist makes logical deductions to arrive at a conclusion to deliver a complete medical record. Many doctors don't want to take the time to learn a new system and also complain about the accuracy of the transcription (formatting and punctuation) and the quality. It is very time consuming for a doctor to speak clearly and proofread everything he is writing. Many doctors talk to fast, eat lunch while dictating, drive, etc. There are doctors that do have the time, but many DO NOT.
That is my opinion. I started a web page and I talk about outsourcing and all of this stuff. I have been a medical transcriptionist for 7 years now working from home and use the voice recognition, it can work for transcriptionists, rather than against. I have doubled my production with this. Check out my website: www.mtinformation.com - Good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jenjen111 in East Lansing, Michigan

33 months ago

Ona in Jonesborough, Tennessee said: I am looking into Career Step vs. Kaplan University for Medical Transcriptionist training. There is a big cost difference. Any feedback would be appreciated. I don't want to waste money either way.

Actually those are the same programs I'm looking at getting into right now either career step or kaplan but kaplan is very expensive, on the other hand kaplan lets you get an associate of applied science in medical transcription, but then again career step helps you with editing which is becoming popular among transcriptionist so I would go with career step

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shelleybelly in Memphis, Tennessee

31 months ago

you sound to me very experienced in training/schools for RNT's, could you please let me know your recommendations? i am doing lots of research on online schools and most everything is ending up half & half??? any help or opionion would be really appreciated : ) thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen

31 months ago

Hi, if your looking to go to school online then I would recommend kaplan university as their training in medical transcription gives you an associate of applied science which is the highest degree you can get in transcription as well as an internship when you graduate, their accredited too. If your looking for editing as well as learning transcription, then I wouldn't recommend kaplan, I would recommend Career step as they teach you editing too which is becoming popular these days with dragon. On the whole I think the best school would definately be kaplan because they are well known, career quest is not accredited yet, but will be soon.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.