I just recently graduated as an EKG technician, and I am also certified, and have my CPR also,

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (43)

Sue in Dunbar, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

where can I get my foot in the door for EKG/monitor technician, i just passed my certification, and I still can't find a job, I also have a medical background, assisting, icd-9, cpt experience, so where are the jobs,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (209) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

bluetopaz in La Puente, California

74 months ago

Hi any info about EKG program @ York college NY. Can I get job after compl. course? Is it accredited? thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Dboyz in Youngstown, Ohio

74 months ago

bluetopaz in La Puente, California said: Hi any info about EKG program @ York college NY. Can I get job after compl. course? Is it accredited? thx

Hey, make sure it does holter monitering and stress testing if you can get into a school that does so. Heres what happens hospitals hire alot of N/As, or for better terms nurses assisstants to do basic EKGs. Also alot of staff nurses already know how to do EKGs. So to make yourself more marketable, do Holter monitoring and EKGS combined if you can. Also, maybe expand on this and get into ultrasound school.

Far as jobs, EKG, or cardiovasucular techs is a growing field. However, since nurses and medical aids are learning ekgs it can be a little harder to find a job than most medical professions. Although on the plus side, EKGs are becoming almost routine for anxiety and or heart problems. --I learn this doing my own research--

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

will westall in bay village ohion in Akron, Ohio

68 months ago

Andy Moses in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hello my name is Andy Moses, with ESA Medical, a recruiting firm who recruits for various medical positions nation-wide. We have some positions open in your area and are interested in speaking with you regarding these opportunities If you are interested, feel free to send me your CV or contact me at andy@esaglobal.net.

I look forward to hearing with you soon.

Andy Moses

Hello Andy I was looking for a place to get my ekg monitor tech schooling but cant really find what I am looking for any suggestion. Will wilylj@yahoo.com thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Katiebug25 in Fruitvale, Texas

66 months ago

Dboyz in Youngstown, Ohio said: Sue, did you get employed yet? I found a college that does EKG, Holter monitoring, Stress testing, and vitals. It takes 6 months and cost $7,000.00. I didnt know if its worth it? Its accredited. I checked the average in my area and techs make $14.50 an hour. However, I just wanted to use this as a stepping stone. I am a junior at a reg. college, but I am kinda floating around as to what to do. Thanks

Hi, I was wondering what school was this? I applied to the allied health institute.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dboyz0123 in Youngstown, Ohio

63 months ago

Katiebug25 in Fruitvale, Texas said: Hi, I was wondering what school was this? I applied to the allied health institute.

Don't do it.........Heres why..trust me dude I was in your shoes.
don't pay for these expensive programs for ekg classes. At Kent State they will offer for $1,000 ekg, holter, and stress testing, plus medications related to the heart. It's only a 50 hour class and you get a cert. plus get to sit for national exams. You only need to put $500.00 down. There were 3 ppl that signed up, and I woulda been the 4th. They need 7. They said they will restart the program if more ppl call or join. It's at Kent state trumbull. It's from a REAL university. Not some crap. I am trying to gather ppl. Contact me or reply if your interested. $500 down will secure a spot. They closed it, but will re-open if more ppl join or call. I had them look up the salary, they make 30k a year- 40k( especially with stress testing ). Also, I asked the instructor it would qualify you to be a monitor tech/telementry tech. My guess they would restart it march 30th, cause that's when some of their other career development courses start.

If i can get up to six, I will be willing to give you a small loan and you can repay me through the program.....I understand the economy. The reason why is b/c you will be number 7, which they need. I really want this to happen. Reply or contact me, and I will group ppl. I am going into health care administration and 5 classes away from an A.S, but I want this cert.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dboyz0123 in Youngstown, Ohio

63 months ago

will westall in bay village ohion in Akron, Ohio said: Hello Andy I was looking for a place to get my ekg monitor tech schooling but cant really find what I am looking for any suggestion. Will wilylj@yahoo.com thank you

Willy, I responded to someone earlier about ekg and monitor tech. Kent State trumbull has it for $1,000. Look at my last post for more info. I am trying to gather ppl. We can be a cohort...haha. Seriously, $500.00 down secures a spot. Reply if your interested. If your number 7 I can spot ya $250( if your number 7 ) and you can repay me throughout the program....since you live in ohio.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SLynn72 in San Diego, California

60 months ago

Sue in Dunbar, Pennsylvania said: where can I get my foot in the door for EKG/monitor technician, i just passed my certification, and I still can't find a job, I also have a medical background, assisting, icd-9, cpt experience, so where are the jobs,

Which certification test did you take? The NCCT or the American Phlebotomy Association? And does it matter? My school will give you both. I am for sure taking the NCCT, but what about the other one? Is an employer really going to care which one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lynette in Coshocton, Ohio

56 months ago

dboyz0123 in Youngstown, Ohio said: Don't do it.........Heres why..trust me dude I was in your shoes.
don't pay for these expensive programs for ekg classes. At Kent State they will offer for $1,000 ekg, holter, and stress testing, plus medications related to the heart. It's only a 50 hour class and you get a cert. plus get to sit for national exams. You only need to put $500.00 down. There were 3 ppl that signed up, and I woulda been the 4th. They need 7. They said they will restart the program if more ppl call or join. It's at Kent state trumbull. It's from a REAL university. Not some crap. I am trying to gather ppl. Contact me or reply if your interested. $500 down will secure a spot. They closed it, but will re-open if more ppl join or call. I had them look up the salary, they make 30k a year- 40k( especially with stress testing ). Also, I asked the instructor it would qualify you to be a monitor tech/telementry tech. My guess they would restart it march 30th, cause that's when some of their other career development courses start.

If i can get up to six, I will be willing to give you a small loan and you can repay me through the program.....I understand the economy. The reason why is b/c you will be number 7, which they need. I really want this to happen. Reply or contact me, and I will group ppl. I am going into health care administration and 5 classes away from an A.S, but I want this cert.

Do you know if this class is going to be held anytime in the future? Also could you send a link to the program if you have one? Thanks! Have an awesome weekend!
Lynette

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Haitibaby20 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

42 months ago

Sue in Dunbar, Pennsylvania said: where can I get my foot in the door for EKG/monitor technician, i just passed my certification, and I still can't find a job, I also have a medical background, assisting, icd-9, cpt experience, so where are the jobs,

hi im going to take my ekg this friday any advice on how its like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

link2lifemelissa in Lakewood, California

40 months ago

jeanne H in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania said: Hi looking to get training in this field, can you suggest a place that I could go to for the training. I'm a Cert/Phlebotomist. Thanks. JH
You can contact Me Melissa at www.link2life.org or melissa@link2life.occoxmail.com we have a lowest price guarantee. Where are you located?

Thanks
Melissa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EKG cert. in Irving, Texas

37 months ago

can someone who has passed EKG certification with CCI pliz advice me on what boks to study and prepare for that Exam..If you still have your study materials i will negotiate a fair price to buy.
Pliz Help me out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Suebee in Sacramento, California

34 months ago

Did you find a job? I'm about to finish an EKG course at end of May. Still have to find own internship before I can take certification test. What is the job outlook? I'm in Northern California.
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

sanafe75@aol.com in Cleveland, Ohio

34 months ago

EKG cert. in Irving, Texas said: can someone who has passed EKG certification with CCI pliz advice me on what boks to study and prepare for that Exam..If you still have your study materials i will negotiate a fair price to buy.
Pliz Help me out.

Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone responded to your question regarding what books you need to help pass EKG,Stress testing and also Holter monitoring.
Also how did you do, and did the classes prepare you well for certification?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ekg certified Tech in irving TX in Plano, Texas

34 months ago

sanafe75@aol.com in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone responded to your question regarding what books you need to help pass EKG,Stress testing and also Holter monitoring.
Also how did you do, and did the classes prepare you well for certification?

Hey thank you for asking. Yea i did pass my EKG certification through CCI. I just read the notes that my instructor gave us plus i did alot of question and answer online quiz cards at quizlet.com/ekg-flash-cards/
They helped me alot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ekg certified Tech in irving TX in Plano, Texas

34 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

On the fence in Weatherford, Texas

34 months ago

Ekg certified Tech in irving TX in Plano, Texas said: Hey thank you for asking. Yea i did pass my EKG certification through CCI. I just read the notes that my instructor gave us plus i did alot of question and answer online quiz cards at quizlet.com/ekg-flash-cards/
They helped me alot

Hey Irving/Plano TX Tech. Tried your link and it said it's an outdated link. Do you have another link? Second question, thinking of taking the EKG course thru UTA, wondering about job prospects, etc. Did you have any prior medical experience or training? I'm really interested in the EKG course but am worried about finding a job with just certification, etc. Most jobs I have found are asking for 6+ months exp in a hospital and additional training in some cases MA Certification. Your thoughts/experience? Thanks for sharing. It's scary changing careers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

EKG certified in Irving, Texas

34 months ago

hey when you click on that link it will show you some windows you can open on top of the page..click on the flash cards and once it opens up type in EKG exam questions and it will open up..or simply open EKG or ECG which ever one works will open a bank of EKG questions and answers plus you need to know how to differentiate the arrythmias and heart block like 1st degree 2nd type 1 and type 2 etc.
Well they ask for six months experience if you are not certified..after you get the certification they hire you and train you.
I never hed any experience before in the health field i was a dishnetwork technician

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

On the fence in Weatherford, Texas

33 months ago

Thank you EKG Certified in Irving. Great information. So I'm assuming you are working now having received your certification. I've trolled all of the Labor Board/Salary.com information sections on salaries and they are so varied. How much would you say a "green" EKG tech salary range is in Texas? Sorry for all the questions. Signed up for the class at UTA but nervous jumping from a corporate job to a completely different field. I appreciate you letting me pick your brain.

Congratulations on passing and good luck to you in your new career!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EKG certified in Plano in Irving, Texas

33 months ago

Hey on the fence in weatherford, yea i have a PRN job am doing at a horpital in arlington but they are paying me 13.50/hr.
That place they are stingy with money normally they pay from 13.50 to 16.00/hr in a good place.
Plus in the hospital you could get cross trained to do EEG too that Electroencephalography (EEG) Those are some of the others things you could at the hospital and it come with extra dollars if you can do both.
Hey but for my can came from technology field and dove deep end head first with an associate degree in ultrasound. So actually last week i got registered in cardiovascular sonography which pays way better than EKG or EEG..it pays from the 20s/hr.
So you can email me so its easier to communicate at f1_franks@hotmail.com
Hey plus with EKG certification you can also work as a Telemetry tech in the hospital. Check most hospitals need telemetry techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole M in Onalaska, Texas

32 months ago

Hi! can I get a job with just being a EKG tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Virtuous321 in Frisco, Texas

30 months ago

Hi EKG Certified in Irving. Thanks for your posts, this was very helpful info. I am also thinking about doing the EKG program soon. I wanted to know about the cardiovascular sonography program, can you tell me how to get registered and where is this program offered? And is there and EEG program or is this just something that they cross train you to do? Also, do you think it would be a challenge for me to get day shift hours in this field? Your help will be Greatly appreciated..Thank you

Maria in Cleveland, Ohio

26 months ago

I want to do this! Email me. mariacmendez105@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Cleveland, Ohio

26 months ago

dboyz0123 in Youngstown, Ohio said: Don't do it.........Heres why..trust me dude I was in your shoes.

Whoops I meant to reply to this, I am very interested in that program. Please email me and I'll be the 7th if they are still needed. mariacmendez105@yahoo.com

med homas in manhattan, New York

22 months ago

The certification is a voluntary process and many candidates apply for certifications which are just theoretical based, but the employers look for more of clinical skills and also the theoretical knowledge,national certification career association www.nccanow.com is the national certification EKG technician which evaluated students on clinical and theoretical knowledge.

Jeff Wilson in Tulsa, Oklahoma

21 months ago

The are four professional associations that also offer EKG Tech certifications. They are the Cardiovascular Credentialing International, American Certification Agency for Healthcare Professionals, The American Society for Phlebotomy Technicians, and the National Healthcareer Association. Click <a href="www.ekgtechniciancenter.com/certifications/">here</a> for more about these certification tests.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Jeff Wilson in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: The are four professional associations that also offer EKG Tech certifications. They are the Cardiovascular Credentialing International, American Certification Agency for Healthcare Professionals, The American Society for Phlebotomy Technicians, and the National Healthcareer Association. Click <a href="http:// www.ekgtechniciancenter.com/certifications/">here</a> for more about these certification tests.

Sorry, fixed the link.

21 months ago

Jeff Wilson in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: The are four professional associations that also offer EKG Tech certifications. They are the Cardiovascular Credentialing International, American Certification Agency for Healthcare Professionals, The American Society for Phlebotomy Technicians, and the National Healthcareer Association. Click <a href="www.ekgtechniciancenter.com/certifications/">here</a> for more about these certification tests.

Geez. Sorry again. Link should work this time.

FredHealth in Houston, Texas

19 months ago

Finished my CNA and EKG certifications. Here in Houston, it is becoming a tight job market. Employers now want you to have at least two skills. ( EKG + Phlebotomy ) or ( Medical Assistant with Phlebotomy ) increases your market value. EKG Certification, just by itself, limits your prospects to limited positions in hospitals and a few third party contractors. And you better have the skill to identify 35+ Rhythms on sight! Wages have been depressed, too. $ 11-14 is starting pay on a PRN or Suppl postion. Don't pay private school for this training! Just get your CNA and volunteer at hospitals. Increases your chances and you make contacts. Hospitals in Texas will train their CNAs in basic phlebotomy skills. CNA is hard work. Hit the gym to get ready. Peace.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andy in Florida

19 months ago

I recently started as a tele tech at a hospital and have a few questions also. I came in with no experience, no certification, no classes. I've been doing this for a little over a month and seem to be doing a decent job. My job does not require me to hook the patient up to the tele only pass them out and monitor them. Do other tele techs get to hook the patients up to the units? What kind of situations do other techs deal with? I personally just sit in a chair in the ICU for 12 hours watching 36 monitors by myself. Just wondering am I getting short changed in my tech responsibilities? What should I be trying to learn? I taught myself a good deal about rhythms and also lead placement (how to set up 5 and 12 lead EKGs) but I feel like I should be doing more. Also for anyone interested my starting salary is $13.20 an hour but make more because I work nights and make even more working weekend nights. It comes to over $1000 every 2 weeks plus full benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

netusingh989 in Essex, Maryland

19 months ago

I m ekg and phelobotomy certified six month ago and I still cant find job.this is so frustrating .c can someone help me to where I can start.

anthonypowers123 in Washington, District of Columbia

17 months ago

What has been the biggest inhibitor in finding a job as an EKG technician? Is it lack of information available? Lack of knowing where to look? Or general lack of jobs?

med homas in manhattan, New York

17 months ago

EKG & Phlebotomy Certification would be good for physicians offices provided you have the EKG skills of all different types which is 12 lead, 15 lead,3 lead,5 lead etc.

Stephanie George in Jacksonville, Florida

15 months ago

Look to get into labs or cardiology centers

arleneram@ymail.com in Murrieta, California

14 months ago

is it hard to get a job as a ekg tech after school. Do you need experience? Starting pay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

arleneram@ymail.com in Murrieta, California

14 months ago

are there enough jobs availiable as a ekg tech?

Dawn F in Richmond, Virginia

12 months ago

any updates about whether or not there are enough jobs available in the market?

cnaworker in Geneseo, Illinois

12 months ago

Hello everyone! Does anyone know about taking this class online? I see alot of offers for EKG courses online and was wondering if they really do make you eligible to sit for the national exams like their websites say they do. Any input or information would be great! The only reason im considering taking it online is because the nearest "in-person" class to me is over an hour and a half away!

Beth Hunt in San Diego, California

12 months ago

I see comments about going to school, and no posts from newly hired EKG Techs? I graduated last fall 2013 and have had no luck in getting a job in Ca.. I've also run into classmates at the community college where I took the one year course and they aren't working yet either. It's my opinion that if you get a job with no experience you are extremely lucky!! What's the trick in getting a job with no experience?

sroman in Largo, Florida

11 months ago

don't pay for these expensive programs for ekg classes. At Kent State they will offer for $1,000 ekg, holter, and stress testing, plus medications related to the heart. It's only a 50 hour class and you get a cert. plus get to sit for national exams. You only need to put $500.00 down. There were 3 ppl that signed up, and I woulda been the 4th. They need 7. They said they will restart the program if more ppl call or join. It's at Kent state trumbull. It's from a REAL university. Not some crap. I am trying to gather ppl. Contact me or reply if your interested. $500 down will secure a spot. They closed it, but will re-open if more ppl join or
call. I had them look up the salary, they make 30k a year- 40k( especially with stress testing ). Also, I asked the instructor it would qualify you to be a monitor tech/telementry tech. My guess they would restart it march 30th, cause that's when some of their other career development courses start.

This class is almost ended. Will it repeat again this yr?

Marie in San Diego, California

11 months ago

Beth Hunt in San Diego, California said: I see comments about going to school, and no posts from newly hired EKG Techs? I graduated last fall 2013 and have had no luck in getting a job in Ca.. I've also run into classmates at the community college where I took the one year course and they aren't working yet either. It's my opinion that if you get a job with no experience you are extremely lucky!! What's the trick in getting a job with no experience?

Hi Beth. Did you go to Grossmont because I'm looking at their program? Did they have you do clinicals as part of the program? The program there is much longer than others and I was wondering if it is worth it. SDSU has an extended learning program in the evenings twice a week and it is completed in 2 months. It worries me that you haven't found a job.

Beth Hunt in San Diego, California

11 months ago

Hi Marie, yes, it was Grossmont College. If you have a medical background you might have a chance of getting a job in SD. we had a couple of EMT's in the class and they are employed now, but the students I run into at Grossmont (continuing education), are NOT employed. When you go to sign-up for the program ask what the percentage (last two years)is? They sent me an email a couple weeks ago inquiring who got jobs. I'd like to know what the response was to that question. I'm trying to find out.

mari68 in Fort Worth, Texas

6 months ago

Does anyone in the Fort Worth area know how to get a job doing EKG's????I just got certified in June and everyone wants experience,how can we have experience just coming out of school??I have looked on so many sites,anyone have any ideas please reply,Thank you..

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.