Turbine Millwright/helper contact questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Scottbh in Robinson, Texas

76 months ago

Hello, I have been searching and applying to turbine shutdown companies, I worked a shutdown in Shiro Tx, for QCI about 2 years ago I got a job offer I couldnt refuse closer to home. I really want to get back in the business, I was just a helper, but I have a full set of tools and a very reliable vehicle. How can I find more companies that hire helpers, I want to learn everything I can so I can become a Journeyman, I have been in school for the medical feild as a Medical Laboritory Technician. I just cant get away from working with my hands I really enjoy just good hard work there is no feeling than seeing something messed up get rebuilt and you can say, man I helped do that. I also went to school for automotive technician but in Waco Tx, you do not make any money and business is horrible. I am ready to work and ready to travel, if someone could help me find more contacts I would really appreciate it. Thankyou for all your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Council Bluffs, Iowa

75 months ago

Scottbh in Robinson, Texas said: Hello, I have been searching and applying to turbine shutdown companies, I worked a shutdown in Shiro Tx, for QCI about 2 years ago I got a job offer I couldnt refuse closer to home. I really want to get back in the business, I was just a helper, but I have a full set of tools and a very reliable vehicle. How can I find more companies that hire helpers, I want to learn everything I can so I can become a Journeyman, I have been in school for the medical feild as a Medical Laboritory Technician. I just cant get away from working with my hands I really enjoy just good hard work there is no feeling than seeing something messed up get rebuilt and you can say, man I helped do that. I also went to school for automotive technician but in Waco Tx, you do not make any money and business is horrible. I am ready to work and ready to travel, if someone could help me find more contacts I would really appreciate it. Thankyou for all your help.

Hey I had to smile when I read you blog. I am 53 years of age and am a welder by trade. I have worked as a welder,ironworker,millwright,steamfiter(just got lay'd off in May working permit on an ethanol plant). I am a steel trades journeyman and the work that gave me the most satisfaction in life was doind power plant shut-downs. I look at my award buckle almost daily anymore. We had finished work on the turbine at Cooper Nuclear at Browville NE. When Westinghouse(who had made the tubine) sent buckles to us because when we got done the tubine generated more killowatts than when installed new. Power Plants Will Spoil You! The money, the comradery, the feeling of doing something with your hands that means alot. I am searching for another company to trvel with and die with doing shut-downs or construction. I used to run my own crew doing tubing bending and insturmintation...I Love that work. You take care and I will not mind hearing from you or anyone else that can get me on a site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

yep in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

join the trade union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

iron head in Port Charlotte, Florida

70 months ago

Scottbh in Robinson, Texas said: Hello, I have been searching and applying to turbine shutdown companies, I worked a shutdown in Shiro Tx, for QCI about 2 years ago I got a job offer I couldnt refuse closer to home. I really want to get back in the business, I was just a helper, but I have a full set of tools and a very reliable vehicle. How can I find more companies that hire helpers, I want to learn everything I can so I can become a Journeyman, I have been in school for the medical feild as a Medical Laboritory Technician. I just cant get away from working with my hands I really enjoy just good hard work there is no feeling than seeing something messed up get rebuilt and you can say, man I helped do that. I also went to school for automotive technician but in Waco Tx, you do not make any money and business is horrible. I am ready to work and ready to travel, if someone could help me find more contacts I would really appreciate it. Thankyou for all your help.

roadtechs.com is agreat source for traveling millwright jobs lots of companies want turbine experience, however they often want you to have a twic card or nccer card so you might want to check into getting those

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Scottbh in Robinson, Texas

70 months ago

iron head in Port Charlotte, Florida said: roadtechs.com is agreat source for traveling millwright jobs lots of companies want turbine experience, however they often want you to have a twic card or nccer card so you might want to check into getting those

Yeah I should have gotten my twic card but I am going to jump on that really soon cause It is almost needed for everything now. The good thing is I have no bad history so the twic card will not be a problem. Thankyou for the help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Chattanooga, Tennessee

69 months ago

What has a TWIC card got to do with working in a NUCLEAR POWER PLANT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bigmike in Miami, Florida

69 months ago

Try this website- A website for Industrial traveling tradesman...all trades...all companies..with per diem and recruiters...good luck!

www.tradejobsforum.com/index.php?referredby=6

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MWnMobile in Mobile, Alabama

63 months ago

Hey just wanted to let you know about another good job search site... completely free membership... and it has a live chat service to talk to other construction people just like you and me.. My name is Gary and this site covers job openings in all crafts...Give it a try and if ya like it spread the word will you... its completely free and easy to use.... hope to see ya there...heres the link...

smokepen.phpbb3now.com/index.php

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nick slocum l.u. 2158 in Robins, Iowa

61 months ago

I'm a union millwright, my wife is slowly dying of cancer i can't seem to get any work because of all the permit hands that the hall dosen't know about ? or lost track of, i know that window dues don't amount to anything but if you get a contractor who hires 5 permit hands and you get hourly dues from these people, whats better five guys who cant make a collective decision but were getting dues from or a trained member who can think and is waiting for the haze to clear

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cekubnick in Rhinelander, Wisconsin

60 months ago

DO NOT BELIVE EVERYTHING THAT YOU READ. I was a blader for over 33 years. I was really thinking that I was going to be able to retire and DID. Go on the road only a couple of times a year. I got all the TWIC and NCCER cards and more certifications (up to date 12-01-09) than a doctor needs. Well,that as they say don't mean sgyt! ROADTECH.COM, Tradesman International is a nother that is full of it. For over 2 years now not one reply and YES I do all the follow up's that I can with everyone of them. They want a 23 year old kid with 40 years exp. anybody that has that much exp. is in there 50's, fat, out of shape and really just only whats the money (LAZY). I'am 52 years of age and far from any of the above. Do the math on how old I was when I walked in to the shop to start training on turbines as a the guy that installs the blades, brazing shrouds shelds,fitting footballs,SEALS,etc. Did you ever wounder WHY they ask you (but you don't have to answer) RACE,AGE,VET, ETC. that is so that they can figure out how old you are without having to go outside the EOE laws as a way to get around the laws of age discriation for the GOVERMENT, and if you don't answer they will think why would this person not be willing to answer the questions. Thank-you, Craig, Great Grandson and Son of one of the people that Frist started working on Turbines for Allis-Chalmers (to some that is a name in turbines). BE SURE BEFORE YOU GIVE ANYONE YOUR MONEY FOR A CARD CHECK THEM OUT. IN MY CLOSING ALL I CAN SAY IS YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY A PERSON THAT HAS NO CLUE AS TO WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING ANY MONEY TO GET A JOB in this THE GREAT NATION THAT WE CALL "THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cekubnick in Rhinelander, Wisconsin

60 months ago

nick slocum l.u. 2158 in Robins, Iowa said: I'm a union millwright, my wife is slowly dying of cancer i can't seem to get any work because of all the permit hands that the hall dosen't know about ? or lost track of, i know that window dues don't amount to anything but if you get a contractor who hires 5 permit hands and you get hourly dues from these people, whats better five guys who cant make a collective decision but were getting dues from or a trained member who can think and is waiting for the haze to clear

Nick, I think I might have worked with you in Grennell,IA. I worked for WITZ. Please E-mail ME I will leave you my e adress. cekubnick@yahoo.com some of the people that I worked with was Tom F. Steve, Don B,STICK, and Brian Z. YOU ARE MY BROTHER NO MATTER WHAT! IF I CAN HELP I WILL, Craig, 1056,WISCONSIN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jamie in Ashland, Kentucky

58 months ago

Dana in Council Bluffs, Iowa said: Hey I had to smile when I read you blog. I am 53 years of age and am a welder by trade. I have worked as a welder,ironworker,millwright,steamfiter(just got lay'd off in May working permit on an ethanol plant). I am a steel trades journeyman and the work that gave me the most satisfaction in life was doind power plant shut-downs. I look at my award buckle almost daily anymore. We had finished work on the turbine at Cooper Nuclear at Browville NE. When Westinghouse(who had made the tubine) sent buckles to us because when we got done the tubine generated more killowatts than when installed new. Power Plants Will Spoil You! The money, the comradery, the feeling of doing something with your hands that means alot. I am searching for another company to trvel with and die with doing shut-downs or construction. I used to run my own crew doing tubing bending and insturmintation...I Love that work. You take care and I will not mind hearing from you or anyone else that can get me on a site.

really an ironworker and millwright i smell a rat

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.