To be the best...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every millwright must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your millwright expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

samson in Valley, Germany

125 months ago

I want to become a millwright

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Calgary, Alberta

119 months ago

Im a 2nd year millwright apprentice.

listen to all the advice journeymen have to offer.
work effiently and try to be prepared with all the tools you need in advance.
it helps to always a tape measure on hand.

Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Knoxville, Tennessee

114 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every millwright must have to excel?

mathematical, mechanical/techinical, and ability to work well with others to achieve tolerances to one thousandth of an inch. Contact your millwright local union hall in your area for the best training offered anywhere in the world! It's a four apprenticeship where you will work to earn a living as you attend classes on nights and weekends.

Union millwrights strive for perfection and will settle for nothing less than excellance! Union millwrights are the best trained, highest skilled workforce anywhere.

check union millwright.com for a list of phone numbers to local union halls in your area,

GOOD LUCK!

PROUD TO BE A UNION MILLWRIGHT

Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Vancouver, Washington

112 months ago

Get into the apprenticeship program as soon as possible. Your nearest union local should be able to give you all necessary information. Take classes at your local junior college such as blueprint reading, welding, fluid power, basic machining practices and industrial math. Invest in a GOOD set of tools. As you get closer to journeylevel status you should have a full set of handtools up to around 2" as well as machinist tools such as calipers, micrometers, torque wrenches, snap gauges, combination square. As your level of experience increases, try to specialize in specific types of equipment installation/repair such as rotating equipment, metal working equipment, cranes or vacuum furnaces. (During your career you'll likely find yourself working on machines you've never seen before, so learn all you can from those you apprentice under.) Stay focused on doing THE BEST job you can. Just remember. The quality of your work has YOUR name on it! Good luck.

Reply - Report abuse

billy locial 1554 in Franklin, Tennessee

112 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every millwright must have to excel?

Math,mechanial ability,self starting and the ability to think outside the box.Have the couarge to take the lead when others decline.
Show up everyday, do as your instructed.Stay focused on the job at hand ask questions.Seek out journeymen that have experance to offer.

Reply - Report abuse

brizzo in Hurricane, West Virginia

108 months ago

someone was telling me about a website that posts jobs all across the us, needing millwrights, and you can just get the contact numbers call them up and go to work? is this true?

Reply - Report abuse

Chubby in Forest Lake, Minnesota

108 months ago

Yes Brizzo.

It's called RoadTech.com.

Just be aware that a lot of those jobs are non-union, and while no one will fault a guy for feeding his family, if you are a member of a union and you take a non-union job, you may/will find yourself in trouble with your local hall.

All of that being said, like anything else in life, read the fine print. Get all the details before packing your bags.

Good Luck and Work Safe!
Chubby

Reply - Report abuse

valin_dahl in Vancouver, British Columbia

108 months ago

I am looking at taking the Millwright pre-apprentaship program and I am trying to find both employees and employers in the field here in British columbia to talk for informational interviews. Feel free to reply to me at valin_dahl@yahoo.ca

Reply - Report abuse

iron head in Port Charlotte, Florida

106 months ago

get your twic card and your nccer card and you will get a good paying job as a millwright if you can get an entry level position working on turbines or conveyors or rebuiling valves you"ll be doing yourself a great service these are the types of jobs that are the most popular for millwrights right now

Reply - Report abuse

CMurphy in Greenville, North Carolina

102 months ago

Chubby - roadtech.com is a website that sells safety equipment, not a job hunting tool website...

got a correct URL?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

billy locial 1554 in Nashville, Tennessee

102 months ago

Dude Try roadtech with an S RoadTechs.com

Reply - Report abuse

daub in Columbus, Indiana

84 months ago

Nothing against th e unions, but they starved me for 2 yrs. while I paid them to find work for me. Have been working non-stop 13 yrs. non-union. I am nccer certified instructor and turn out some of the finest millwrights in the world. Anyone could learn something from my grads.

Just saying....

Reply - Report abuse

multicraft in Port Charlotte, Florida

84 months ago

im looking for millwright work non union you got any leads?, i was in the pipe fitters union but they been starving me out lately too, all the union guys i know are loooking for work in the non union arena.

Reply - Report abuse

multicraft in Port Charlotte, Florida

84 months ago

the top 3 traits for a millwright nowadays huh? i'd say laser shaft alignment, conveyor maintenance and repair, and plc's and controls on the electrical end of things, these are the most highly sought after skills in the industrial millwright job market today, you definately want to know how to weld as well, knowledge of pumps, electrical motors and blowers is also helpfull, i agree with the previous statement on finding a mentor in the trade and trying to learn all you can the skills of a millwright cannot be learnes from a book they need to be learned hands on, be willing to help and work overtime and long hours and you will build the skill set required to call yourself a journeyman millwright wether you are in the union or not.

Reply - Report abuse

millwrightron in Saint Maries, Idaho

63 months ago

To learn about Millwrights.. Who are the Millwrights and what do they do?.. Visit Do It The Wright Way at www.unionmillwright.com
Be Safe
Millwright Ron

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.