Getting a mortgage loan officer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Host

How did you get your start doing mortgage loan officer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Pasadena, Texas

85 months ago

Just passed my test. What is next? With the Christmas around the corner is it possible for me to find a brokerage to work for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mortgage Pro in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

I just read through the comments on this blog and felt the need to add a few of my own. Let me preface my comments by saying I have been in the mortgage industry for 25 years. Been a broker a, a banker, an originator, an underwriter, if there is a job I have probably done it.

If you feel the mortgage industry is something you want to enter, you need to do a tremendous amount of research. There will be change and a great amount of change in the next several months. The "sub-prime" crisis is media hoopla in my opinion. The CREDIT crisis is very real and hasn't even come close to having to settling down.

If you read any articles apparently BROKERS are the root cause of all the problems (this is being said with sarcasim) in the mortgage industry. Bankers have always had issue with brokers. This is a perfect opportunity to shut brokers down.

Both brokers and bankers have PAC and industry organizations. The bankers have taken the time and effort to fund their organziations and continue to do so. The brokers were to busy spending their money or keeping it in their own bank accounts to fund their organizations.

If you want to be a Loan Originator I recommend you go to a Bank...Wells Fargo, Washington Mutual, US Bank. Do not go to a broker or even a mortgage banker.

In the past yes it has been a very profitable industry, but also very stressful. The stress will never leave, but the profits are going to be minimized greatly.

Those are my humble thoughts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

emmanuel in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

Thanks for your honest comment. I was looking at craiglist in los angeles trying to get a job doing FHA's the bokers advertising make it sound like they have so much business coming to them. if they are lying then they are marketing deception becaquse from my research the industry is almost dead for now but they try to decieve new agents that things are good. Please what are your thought on my statements. i also saw an ad for a job that the broker talked about saving the homes of people going through foreclosure dp ypou think its a better place for to get a job in this industry?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

k in Arnold, Missouri

82 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing mortgage loan officer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I am interested in getting your email address to talk privatley...please pass this along when you have time.

thanks,

copgirl1606@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Denny Skinnell in Dallas, Texas

80 months ago

I am a senior citizen & have been doing telemarketing from home for a Texas lender.
I am not licensed but Am interested in getting a better setup with furnished leads.
can you help or offer suggestions

Harrison in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Hello,

I will answer your questions in order.

1. How did you get your start doing mortgage loan officer work?

A good friend of mine presented me a business opportunity no one could turn down. I went to one of their opportunity meeting and trainings and from there on was history.

2. What career moves did you make to get your current position.

I'm only 20 years old but don't let my age steer you wrong. I did actually sacrifice a "career" as a Sales Manager of a GNC. I had my own store and was salaried at 19 years old more money than the above average school teacher makes annually.

3. Do you need a particular educational background?

No, in some states you need certain licensing to be a mortgage loan originator but as a general rule, no.

Summary: I'm 20 years old, I have a GED, and all I do is meet with mortgage brokers, real estate brokers, and work on an average of about 50 deals a month. Even if I'm successful at finding a deal 20% of the time thats about 10 deals a month which I'm sure surpasses the average loan originator. I am a Loan Supervisor now for Nations Funding Source Inc. I have a nation-wide mortgage company now through them and I have the ability to travel to and do loans in every state of the country. Yes even FHA. I know most of this seams unreal but if you would like to give me a call/email me feel free. Comment on this and it will notify me by e-mail. When that is done I will arrange giving you my e-mail and phone number.

The last thing I would like to leave you with is this; if I walked through a mine field and survived, would you follow my footsteps or would you walk your own path?

Have a good day and I hope I helped with some of your problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in San Juan, Puerto Rico

79 months ago

I read through all the comments but still doesnt seem to answer my questions. I am interested in doing loans, either through a bank, mortgage company, loan officer...what are the differences between the 3 and the individual education for them? Can I be a real estate agent at the same time as a loan officer? Is there on the job training w/o college degrees or licensing? Im thinking about going to to Houston.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PA MortgageMan in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

I have been in the industry for about 5 years now and I call it a career. As a branch owner, I struggle to find people who are motivated and understand the industry. Too often I get the loan officers that are looking for the quick buck and are not willing to invest the time that it take to be successful. While I do offer leads, I also look to have loan officers cold call trigger leads. I think it teaches them to work all leads to their fullest potential. If someone knows where the quality loan officers are, let them know that 65% pay-outs are still available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jade destio in Reading, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

I am not happy with the mortgage company am working at now, and would like to set up a time to talk to you about a employment for your company. My cell phone # is 484-400-5222. I have my resume saved at career link, and will try to send you a copy next time I am there.

MortgageMan in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

Jade,
I tried to give you a call but it said the number was non-working. Shoot me a email and we can figure out a way to touch base.

ks.0410@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

veronica martinez, mcallen, texas in Rego Park, New York

74 months ago

A good friend of mine presented me a business opportunity no one could turn down. I went to one of their opportunity meeting and trainings and from there on was history.

I'm only 20 years old but don't let my age steer you wrong. I did actually sacrifice a "career" as a Sales Manager of a GNC. I had my own store and was salaried at 19 years old more money than the above average school teacher makes annually.

No, in some states you need certain licensing to be a mortgage loan originator but as a general rule, no.

Summary: I'm 20 years old, I have a GED, and all I do is meet with mortgage brokers, real estate brokers, and work on an average of about 50 deals a month. Even if I'm successful at finding a deal 20% of the time thats about 10 deals a month which I'm sure surpasses the average loan originator. I am a Loan Supervisor now for Nations Funding Source Inc. I have a nation-wide mortgage company now through them and I have the ability to travel to and do loans in every state of the country. Yes even FHA. I know most of this seams unreal but if you would like to give me a call/email me feel free. Comment on this and it will notify me by e-mail. When that is done I will arrange giving you my e-mail and phone number.

The last thing I would like to leave you with is this; if I walked through a mine field and survived, would you follow my footsteps or would you walk your own path?

your response has been helpful. i am very interested in learning more. my e-mail is vero_martinez17@yahoo.com. if you could i would love to talk to you about getting my career in mortgage started. looking fo

Michelle Mc Donald - Upshaw in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

PA MortgageMan in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania said: I have been in the industry for about 5 years now and I call it a career. As a branch owner, I struggle to find people who are motivated and understand the industry. Too often I get the loan officers that are looking for the quick buck and are not willing to invest the time that it take to be successful. While I do offer leads, I also look to have loan officers cold call trigger leads. I think it teaches them to work all leads to their fullest potential. If someone knows where the quality loan officers are, let them know that 65% pay-outs are still available.

I am interested in getting back into the industry ASAP. I am looking for a broker to work under. I would like to do loans in all states as I did before. I am wanting to know what the PA requirements are for loan officers. Do you need a liscense.

Michelle Mc Donald - Upshaw in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

I would love to get some info from you. I got out of the industry a year ago when they started cracking down on brokers. I would really like to get back in the swing of things again. email me at mupshaw2548@comcast.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CentralCaliHustler

74 months ago

Michelle Mc Donald - Upshaw in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania said: I would love to get some info from you. I got out of the industry a year ago when they started cracking down on brokers. I would really like to get back in the swing of things again. email me at mupshaw2548@comcast.net

You have to understand that the reply from Harrison in Florida was from about a year. The market has changed drastically and you need to update and read a lot of the changes that have been made in the lending industry.
I'm not saying that 50 loans a month is not attainable, but how many of those are being closed? And in order for you to achieve that you would have to be doing massive advertising to close that many.
Maybe with all the recruits on his down line.
Here's the link for that Co.
nfsite.com/
Do your due diligence work and ck around local brokers as to what they offer on compensation and lead system.
If you already know your stuff and trying to get back in the industry PA Mortgageman sounds like a good deal.
Good luck to you.

CentralCaliHustler

74 months ago

PA MortgageMan in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania said: I have been in the industry for about 5 years now and I call it a career. As a branch owner, I struggle to find people who are motivated and understand the industry. Too often I get the loan officers that are looking for the quick buck and are not willing to invest the time that it take to be successful. While I do offer leads, I also look to have loan officers cold call trigger leads. I think it teaches them to work all leads to their fullest potential. If someone knows where the quality loan officers are, let them know that 65% pay-outs are still available.

Pls contact me if you're license in Ca. and offer the same set up.
Thx. jolivar@financier.com

Mark in Denham Springs, Louisiana

73 months ago

Denny Skinnell in Dallas, Texas said: I am a senior citizen & have been doing telemarketing from home for a Texas lender.
I am not licensed but Am interested in getting a better setup with furnished leads.
can you help or offer suggestions

I am very interest in the script you used in telemarketing>

Could you share with a reply online

Kindly, Thanks

Mark in Denham Springs, Louisiana

73 months ago

Amber in San Juan, Puerto Rico said: I read through all the comments but still doesnt seem to answer my questions. I am interested in doing loans, either through a bank, mortgage company, loan officer...what are the differences between the 3 and the individual education for them? Can I be a real estate agent at the same time as a loan officer? Is there on the job training w/o college degrees or licensing? Im thinking about going to to Houston.

Yes, I am a realtor and loan originator, In Louisiana ( as with FHA ) I cannot fund a house I am selling, but I can sell both houses and mortgages.....hope that helps

Mary- in Asheville, North Carolina

73 months ago

Hello,
I am seriously thinking about a career in this field. I am very interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on a good training program, also thoughts on the current market and potentail success in the field would be great! I am really just in the very beginning stages of this!
Thannks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bevt in Greenville, North Carolina

73 months ago

Mary- in Asheville, North Carolina said: Hello,
I am seriously thinking about a career in this field. I am very interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on a good training program, also thoughts on the current market and potentail success in the field would be great! I am really just in the very beginning stages of this!
Thannks.

Mary, I just signed up with Abacus Mortgage training. They travel the state of NC to give 3 day classes. You can go to their web site for more info. Also, www.nccob.org to get info on licensing in NC. Hope this helps.

Evadadiva in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

I have been in Property Management for 8 years. I am licensed realtor and I am considering becoming a loan officer. Is there a particular school I should go to for training- or can I do it on-line or does it matter? Is it just a matter of getting the education requirements done then passing the exam then looking for a bank to work for?

Kenneth in North Las Vegas, Nevada

72 months ago

i was thinking about getting into this line of work and was wondering if I could ask you a few things....if its cool hit me back up...
pakmusicgroup@gmail.com

lee in Apollo Beach, Florida

69 months ago

Let me have your number and let's talk. I'm very interested in a career move. Good information.

lee in Apollo Beach, Florida

69 months ago

Very helpful info. Let's talk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shellie in Winder, Georgia

68 months ago

I had a good friend tell me about his new job working for a Mortgage Company. he said he is doing great even in this economy with Refinances. I am wanting to work from home and thinking seriously about leaving my career in selling insurance to work for a Mortgage Company as a Loan Officer. Can anyone tell me if this is true about the refinancing picking up? After reading all this I am getting a little skeptical of switching careers in this economy.Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

c edmonds in Indianapolis, Indiana

65 months ago

I am considering changing from a salary personal banker job to my companies mortgage loan originator role. I want the flexibility of the schedule and I know that it's commission with 4-6 mths of base pay but it's scary. I'm use to the bi-weekly pay. I want a career change and I do very well in sales and always have in my current role. It's a leap of faith but I have a family ...of not now, when? Is it worth getting out there, is commission really scary? please let me know.

tedmonds1225@sbcglobal.net

Funder in Visalia, California

65 months ago

If I was you, I will stick out until the market changes.

You're going to work twice as hard and be on call all the time for your clients.

I've been in the mortgage biz for 6yrs and it's tough.

But it's your call.

Good luck

Toni6363@comcast.net in Naples, Florida

64 months ago

Here's for the new peeps thinking they may want to go into the mortgage business-PLEASE think again! I have been a broker for over 10 years in South Florida and have done quite well. However, it is a brutal business and I've never been quite sure the stress is worth it. It seems like every 5 seconds the "rules" are changing and the customers & realtors just keep wanting more and more for less and less. It is certainly not what it used to be. Luckily I'v built a fairly strong following but it tooks years of development (i.e. long hours and hard work) I'm not saying it can't be done, but be warned, this business is not for the faint of heart. If you can stomach wondering if you'll be paid week, to week, month to month and have the financial strength to stay in the game, then perhaps its for you. But if you like the security of a weekly (even monthly) steady paycheck, and like having your evenings and weekends free, then the mortgage biz is defintly not a fit. Sorry to sound so negative, but this is what 10 years does to someone who entered this crazy business with very good intentions, only to find out its ripe with fraud and duplicity. Remember, if you lay down with dogs you might just end up with fleas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marketsvcs in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

64 months ago

I dont think newbes are thinking about the quick as much as what has been hyped to them. Too often I hear broker spooning out the kool-aid, promising all kink of numbers. Then why such turn over. Perhaps management should help build what was promised instead of pouring more kool-aid, only having to retrain all over again

loanmaverick in Goodlettsville, Tennessee

64 months ago

Mortgage Pro in Denver, Colorado said: I just read through the comments on this blog and felt the need to add a few of my own. Let me preface my comments by saying I have been in the mortgage industry for 25 years. Been a broker a, a banker, an originator, an underwriter, if there is a job I have probably done it.

If you feel the mortgage industry is something you want to enter, you need to do a tremendous amount of research. There will be change and a great amount of change in the next several months. The "sub-prime" crisis is media hoopla in my opinion. The CREDIT crisis is very real and hasn't even come close to having to settling down.

If you read any articles apparently BROKERS are the root cause of all the problems (this is being said with sarcasim) in the mortgage industry. Bankers have always had issue with brokers. This is a perfect opportunity to shut brokers down.

Both brokers and bankers have PAC and industry organizations. The bankers have taken the time and effort to fund their organziations and continue to do so. The brokers were to busy spending their money or keeping it in their own bank accounts to fund their organizations.

If you want to be a Loan Originator I recommend you go to a Bank...Wells Fargo, Washington Mutual, US Bank. Do not go to a broker or even a mortgage banker.

In the past yes it has been a very profitable industry, but also very stressful. The stress will never leave, but the profits are going to be minimized greatly.

Those are my humble thoughts.

My background is 20 yrs and I too have worn just about every hat their is to wear in the mortgage broker/banker world and in several states. Yes, I agree with you completely. For the inexperienced thinking of entering this field, I would advise against it. There are many more with greater experience applying for the same position and it's not the mortgage economy it was a few years back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

rockmount in Albuquerque, New Mexico

58 months ago

I personnaly left aa mortgage company after ten years and I thought the other side of the pasture was greener and since I left my last company saying this is a done deal I can't get a job due to jan 1 REStrictions

amfb7 in Los Gatos, California

42 months ago

Evadadiva in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I have been in Property Management for 8 years. I am licensed realtor and I am considering becoming a loan officer. Is there a particular school I should go to for training- or can I do it on-line or does it matter? Is it just a matter of getting the education requirements done then passing the exam then looking for a bank to work for?

Did you ever get into doing Loans? I am a realtor thinking of switching too. Just curious how things have gone for you. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Ella Pacey in Massachusetts

41 months ago

Evadadiva in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I have been in Property Management for 8 years. I am licensed realtor and I am considering becoming a loan officer. Is there a particular school I should go to for training- or can I do it on-line or does it matter? Is it just a matter of getting the education requirements done then passing the exam then looking for a bank to work for?

Do think education requirements is only for looking for work? I've thought about it for a long time. Prove it, please!

Loan Consultant in Brooklyn, New York

40 months ago

What is the typical commission structure for mortgage loan officers new to the business?

Jefflexis in Huntington, New York

29 months ago

I have been trying to find a mortgage firm that would train and help me obtain my license but it's hard is there anything else you can suggest?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

eickeca in Frisco, Texas

21 months ago

Is this still True, i am trying to do the same, but everything I see on FHA says I can not be a Realtor and work for a lender if the lender is an FHA approved lender. Regardless of whether I
am selling real estate and doing loans. This seems discriminatory to me.

charles

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nwaneka in Dallas, Texas

16 months ago

Jefflexis in Huntington, New York said: I have been trying to find a mortgage firm that would train and help me obtain my license but it's hard is there anything else you can suggest?

I am very interested in getting into the mortgage business ! I do not know exactly where to start but I promise you I have the skills and ambition to have what it takes.

Please email me -- nwaneka11@gmail.com I want more information

cmy121412 in Farmingdale, New York

4 months ago

I am a NYS licensed realtor, have an MBA, and have a lifetime of experience in a management position. I am interested in entering the mortgage industry in an entry-level position that has opportunity for advancement. How should I proceed to make this happen?

Dorenezeller in Elkhart, Indiana

1 month ago

Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal or business loan?contact Dennis Hopkins Finance Home he help me with a loan of $300.000 some days ago after been scammed of $2500 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $300.000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Email: dennishopkins_financehome@live.com or dennishopkins69@yahoo.com or www.dennishopkinsfinance.de.vu .He is a trust worthy man.

wardwell Evans in Tempe, Arizona

20 days ago

Good day loan seekers i just want to advice you guys be very careful cause i have been searching for a loan of $35,000.00 to consolidate my debts for the past 5 months and all the lenders i have done transaction with rip me off my hard earn money not utill my friend introduce me to Mr Barry who lend me a loan of $35,000.00 without any stress if you need a loan below his is email: (barrysmith1loanlender@gmail.com)

Mr Raj Thomas in Tempe, Arizona

13 days ago

Hello, Good day my beloved brothers and sisters here comes a loan that will change your life forever my name is Mr Raj Thomas a certified and legit loan lender that give loans to less financial privilege are you in need of a loan to get back on track i want you to understand the fact that I Mr Raj Thomas is here to give you that loan which you have being sicking for, are you in need of financial Assistance in a low interest rate of 2%. Bad credit acceptable,The Terms and Conditions are very simple and considerate.You will never regret anything in this loan transaction because i will make you smile.

I Mr Raj Thomas, will render the best of my services to all legitimate borrowers.You will never be disappointed by me in this transaction because you were not born to be a loser, any interested clients should contact me Asap via Email(rajthomasloanfirm@gmail.com) for further proceeds.

Please fill the below application form and get back if interested and
you will be glad of knowing a loan lender like Mr Raj Thomas

BORROWER'S DATA

1)Full Names:
2)Country:
3)address:
4)State:
5)Gender:
6)Marital Status:
7)Occupation:
8)Phone Number:
9)Monthly income:
10)Loan Amount Needed:
11)Loan Duration:
12)Purpose of Loan:

I will be looking forward to hear from you so as to proceed.

Kind Regards

roymorganfirm in Laguna Niguel, California

12 days ago

Dear Valued Customers,

I am a private loan lender by Dr. Roy Morgan, i give certified loans to serious minded individuals and company at an interest rate of 2% with total loan repayment allowed weekly monthly or yearly depending on how you can make repayments if interested kindly contact us. We give out all kinds of loans such as:

* Personal Loan
* Business Loan
* Home Equity Loan
* Debt Consolidation Loan

Personal Information To Apply.

Full Name:
Contact Address/country:
Mobile Telephone Number:
Loan Amount Needed:
Loan Duration:

contact us via email: dr.roymorganfirm@gmail.com

Thanks
Dr. Roy Morgan

Mr Raj Thomas in San Jose, California

12 days ago

Hello, Good day my beloved brothers and sisters here comes a loan that will change your life forever my name is Mr Raj Thomas a certified and legit loan lender that give loans to less financial privilege are you in need of a loan to get back on track i want you to understand the fact that I Mr Raj Thomas is here to give you that loan which you have being sicking for, are you in need of financial Assistance in a low interest rate of 2%. Bad credit acceptable,The Terms and Conditions are very simple and considerate.You will never regret anything in this loan transaction because i will make you smile.

I Mr Raj Thomas, will render the best of my services to all legitimate borrowers.You will never be disappointed by me in this transaction because you were not born to be a loser, any interested clients should contact me Asap via Email(rajthomasloanfirm@gmail.com) for further proceeds.

Please fill the below application form and get back if interested and
you will be glad of knowing a loan lender like Mr Raj Thomas

BORROWER'S DATA

1)Full Names:
2)Country:
3)address:
4)State:
5)Gender:
6)Marital Status:
7)Occupation:
8)Phone Number:
9)Monthly income:
10)Loan Amount Needed:
11)Loan Duration:
12)Purpose of Loan:

I will be looking forward to hear from you so as to proceed.

Kind Regards

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.