How do I get into mortgage underwriting?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Andrea in Minneapolis, Minnesota

67 months ago

There are a lot of mortgage underwriting jobs right now but I am wondering how do I get into the field? Most jobs require 1 - 2 years minimum of experience. Should I take some mortgage classes and then try to get into a company and work my way up to underwriting? Or, are there some companies offering training classes? Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

WF Applicant in Mission Viejo, California

67 months ago

You have to start as a shipper, doc drawer, funder, or jr. processor, then work your way up. However, the mortgage business is dead right now, nobody's hiring because nobody's borrowing. Don't waste your time and money on a class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

processingservices in Taylor, Michigan

67 months ago

Well right now in my state the mortgage industry is actually doing very well. As for becoming an underwriter you can not jump into it even if you took classes you must have experience. Just like the last person said the best thing for you to start out small then become a processor. I have noticed if you can find a company to become an assistant loan officer that well also help you get your self in the door. Like a lot of my friends even being a loan officer for a while well help you get into the door.

Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Looking for Underwriting work in Thornton Heath, United Kingdom

65 months ago

I am looking for an Underwriter positon but can't seem to fined many suitable roles advertised, does any one know of any good places to search for a role, or events to go to in order to get some good connections into the industry? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

underwriter30exp in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Looking for Underwriting work in Thornton Heath, United Kingdom said: I am looking for an Underwriter positon but can't seem to fined many suitable roles advertised, does any one know of any good places to search for a role, or events to go to in order to get some good connections into the industry? Thanks

Hello fellow limey,

If you are in the UK - GMAC is over there and most of the MI Companies - look them up on the web - it is different form of underwriting but it is more stable then lenders - this will give you a start. There are some agencies that are American based with international leads.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.