You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (43)

oyunbold ganbold in Oakland, California

97 months ago

i am searching for mri technologist training program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

djv106 in Apache Junction, Arizona

86 months ago

I have not but I would like to hear from anyone who has takem the ARRT MRI exam or the ARMRIT MRI exam during the last year. ALso what they did to prepare for either exam and what they found most helpful. Thanks, DJV dana.voigt@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MRIGUY in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

There is a great online MRI course run by Candi Roth. Let me know if you want details and i will forward them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MRIGUY in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

Oral in Kingston, Jamaica said: I am seeking an MRI system for my medical centre. What space I need, what is the cost of a good one and what is the cost for the least expensive one that you would consider very good.

"oral in Kingston"

Drop me a note and I can help you with this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Yes, I would like to know the site you mentioned by Candi Roth. Please e-mail with details. Is site recent? Thanks for your help-- Dana dana.voigt@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Candi Roth in Aston, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

djv106 in Apache Junction, Arizona said: Yes, I would like to know the site you mentioned by Candi Roth. Please e-mail with details. Is site recent? Thanks for your help-- Dana dana.voigt@gmail.com

Dana, i am Candi Roth (actually Carolyn Kaut Roth, co-author of "MRI in Practice"). This seems to be the book that many technologists use to prepare for the MRI boards. Regarding on-line courses, we have produced full courses for MRI, CT and sonography for the registered technologist / radiographer. Courses consist of 36 streaming video lectures with handouts, worksheets, discussion forum, and post tests that are available on-line and on-demand. For more information you can visit our website www.imaginged.com. If you need additional information, feel free to email me directly or if you would like to speak to me do not hesitate to call my direct line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dpatraker@*****.*** in Bronx, New York

86 months ago

MRIGUY in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania said: There is a great online MRI course run by Candi Roth. Let me know if you want details and i will forward them.

I have an MBA in Health Care Management and am considering taking the MRI course. Any tips?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Candi Roth in Aston, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

This course is designed for the RT who is considering cross-training and or certification in MRI. The course includes the didactic information required to take (and pass) the MRI boards. FYI as of January 2006, the ARRT announced two methods by which an individual would qualify for the MRI boards including: primary and post primary certification. To qualify for the MRI boards by the ARRT as a primary certification the applicant must successfully complete an accredited program. To locate an accredited primary program go to www.jrcert.org. (These programs are generally 2 years in length... or 1 year post baccalaureate program.) To qualify for the post primary certification the applicant must be registere in a primary modality (radiography, nuclear medicine, radiation therapy or sonography) and document clinical experience. For MRI, this includes completion of 120 clinical MRI exams. Didactic coursework is not mandatory at this time to qualify for post primary certification. However, as the MRI boards are challenging, most technologists opt to take a course in preparation for the boards. For you specifically, are you an RT? If not, do you intend to take the boards? OR are you getting up to speed with various modalities? If you require boards, there is an additional approach to MR certification that is also recognized by the ACR (known as ARMRIT). If you need additional information, feel free to email me directly or if you would like to speak to me do not hesitate to call my direct line.

sam in Cordova, Tennessee

85 months ago

anyone know the difference between arrt and jrcert??

djv106

83 months ago

MRIGUY in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania said: There is a great online MRI course run by Candi Roth. Let me know if you want details and i will forward them.

yes, I would appreciate any details you could send. Pls reply to: dana.4friends@gmail.com
My family is originally from the area of Williamsport, PA and we still have relatives there. Are you from that area? I am in the Phoenix Az area currently, and MRI tech salaries here are about $32 to 38 dollars per hr-- is that what MRI techs in Pa are getting?
I will look forward to the info and thanks-- Dana

Gina Walters in Lexington, Kentucky

81 months ago

Can you send me the website for verification,that you can obtain a primary certification in MRI.

81 months ago

I think you may mean this site : www.ARMRIT.com They are now recognized by ACR to certify MRI techs and I think they are better than the ARRT. Because they were just recoggnized by ACR in 2008 or 2007, there are still some places that do not know about them but more and more hospitals and states are recognizing them on an equal basis for MRI techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terry in Chandler, Arizona

81 months ago

What makes them better than the ARRT
The ARRT has certified mri techs for decades.

81 months ago

dpatraker@gmail.com in Bronx, New York said: I have an MBA in Health Care Management and am considering taking the MRI course. Any tips?

don't waste your time taking courses in MRI unless you have a place to do practice real mri exams. you will never get a job with out any experience in patient care or exams ans as of 2010 unless you are a certified mri technologist
boars certified will never get a job.
You can not learn mri just from a book.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Candi Roth in Aston, Pennsylvania said: Dana, i am Candi Roth (actually Carolyn Kaut Roth, co-author of "MRI in Practice"). This seems to be the book that many technologists use to prepare for the MRI boards. Regarding on-line courses, we have produced full courses for MRI, CT and sonography for the registered technologist / radiographer. Courses consist of 36 streaming video lectures with handouts, worksheets, discussion forum, and post tests that are available on-line and on-demand. For more information you can visit our website www.imaginged.com . If you need additional information, feel free to email me directly or if you would like to speak to me do not hesitate to call my direct line.

MRI in practice volume 3 is the best mri study book ever written.
Also the two small books MRI Safty and MRI physics by john Faulklang
are super
Carolyn Kaut Roth, does great on video lectures

Candi Roth in Glen Mills, Pennsylvania

81 months ago

Gina Walters in Lexington, Kentucky said: Can you send me the website for verification,that you can obtain a primary certification in MRI.

you can get this information on www.arrt.org
good luck

81 months ago

djv106 in Apache Junction, Arizona said: Yes, I would like to know the site you mentioned by Candi Roth. Please e-mail with details. Is site recent? Thanks for your help-- Dana dana.voigt@gmail.com

the site is www.imaginged.com if you have additional questions, feel free to email me directly

81 months ago

Terry in Phoenix, Arizona said: Has any one taken the mri review tour course? Then taken the registry?
I am wondering how though it is and is it all you need to pass the test. Tell me your experience and also tell me what was the registry like.
I take it in three weeks.

we have a registry review course in november. information is on our website www.imaginged.com. also bill faulkner hosts registry review courses... his website is www.t2star.com

hope this helps

81 months ago

sam in Cordova, Tennessee said: anyone know the difference between arrt and jrcert??

ARRT (the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists) is the organization that 'certifies' technologist. They are the one that makes the examinations known as "the boards". Once a qualified technologists takes, adn passes the boards (for example in radiography or x-ray), they become an RT (R)... registered technologist in radiography.

JRCERT (Joint Review Committee on Eduction for Radiologic Technology) is the organization that 'certifies' the school. To qualify for "the boards" one must first sucessfully complete the educational requirement (including didactic -classroom, and clinical - hands-on training). The school that provides the educational requirement msut be 'certified' by JRCERT or, if they are a college (or university) they may gain accreditaiton through the school.

If you are looking for an accredited school, the easiest way to search is to go to www.jrcert.org and search accredited programs in your area.

hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

BIZWAX in Dallas, Texas

81 months ago

There is no such thing as "the boards" for radiological technologists. Medical students refer to their big test as "the boards" because they must pass it to become "board certified" by the Medical Board. The ARRT is not a Medical Board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

BIZWAX in Dallas, Texas said: There is no such thing as "the boards" for radiological technologists. Medical students refer to their big test as "the boards" because they must pass it to become "board certified" by the Medical Board. The ARRT is not a Medical Board.[/QUOTE

Regarding Radiolgic Technologists certification and registration...
The ARRT (American Registry of Radiologic Technologists) is the 'certifying' body for registered technologists (RT's) in radiography RT(R) or other modalities such as CT, MRI, Ultrasound, Nuclear medicine, radiation therapy, cardiovascular/interventional and more. According to the ARRT "Certification is the one-time process of initially recognizing individuals who have satisfied certain standards within a profession. A person is certified by ARRT after meeting educational preparation standards, complying with ethics standards, and passing a certification exam." The Certification Exam is know to persons in the field as "The Boards". Upon sucessful completion of an accredited program, and passing the certification examination "The Boards" the technologist is known as a Registered Techologist RT, if in Radiography then RT (R).

Next, in order to be 'registered', according to the ARRT "Registration is the annual procedure required to maintain registration of the certification. ARRT registrants are those who, having already fulfilled the requirements for initial certification, continue to meet the requirements for annual registration. The ARRT annually registers the certificates of individuals who meet the following three criteria: agreeing to comply with the ARRT Rules and Regulations, continuing to comply with the ARRT Standards of Ethics, and meeting the Continuing Education Requirements for Renewal of Registration."

I hope that this carifies the subject.

randi in Irvine, California

81 months ago

Hello Candi- Diffusion imaging-Many facilities say NO to angling on the pulse sequence indicating it will produce more artifact. Some are angling steep as if performing CT of the head. Recently I viewed some images from a outpatient facility and it appeared to have more artifacts then I have ever seen before, maybe these artifacts were innate to that patient. What is the suggested protocol when performing diffusion.. Thanks

randi in Irvine, California

81 months ago

Candi-Is a hind foot a ankle protocol or is it a hind foot (angled to metatarsals)as in forefoot? Seems like a dumb question but I am seeing changes in scanning protocols. Most Books point to angling to metatarsals/plantar surface? Elbow use to be palm up now I am told wrong it is patient prone? Fortunately, Radiologist have always praised my work but with new technologist coming in with different ways of doing things I am wondering if some changes have occurred that I am unaware of. Too picky per friends

Christain Reese in West Palm Beach, Florida

81 months ago

djv106 in Apache Junction, Arizona said: I think you may mean this site : www.ARMRIT.com They are now recognized by ACR to certify MRI techs and I think they are better than the ARRT. Because they were just recoggnized by ACR in 2008 or 2007, there are still some places that do not know about them but more and more hospitals and states are recognizing them on an equal basis for MRI techs.

No one hires ARMRIT they have bare minimum training. Community colleges are trying to start two year MRI programs yet the technologist that survive said programs will be unable to get jobs due to the fact they are competing with ARRT (R)(MR) technologist and/or better programs, therefore they will make a great deal less money if they even get hired. Why hire a MRI tech that cannot take xrays. Ex: A patient was having a port removed last month at a imaging center affiliated with a large hospital, the only person in the building besides RN's were a U/S Tech and a MRI tech, the patient needed a unexpected stat chest xray due to sob(shortness of breathe) MD sent RN for new chief MRI tech to perform xray, MRI tech arrived stating she had no idea how, nor was she licensed to due so. Human Resources thought she was Xray/MRI, she was limited to MRI,needless to say they hired another tech for chief position and moved her down in hours and rank, not worth hiring. Established imaging centers are beginning to get rid of their MRI techs just as hospitals have in order to take a more educated technologist. Sorry for shorthand but I could give you at least 20 more examples

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amberleedd in Etobicoke, Ontario

78 months ago

How satisfied are you after work?
What is the atmosphere like working as a MRI Techinician?what would I get for grading MRI?
ASAP
Im doing up grading and...so need help...

jane in Las Vegas, Nevada

78 months ago

You can also check out www.mrireviewstore.com they have a basic mri review program thats very affordable! Best of luck

ty in Stevensville, Michigan

78 months ago

I just passed the registry today after only 12 months of training. Use mri in practice and the yellow and black registry review book. Thats all u really need

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ty in Stevensville, Michigan

78 months ago

on the job training, not school or formal.

xray4life soon2bmri2 in West Palm Beach, Florida

77 months ago

ty in Stevensville, Michigan said: I just passed the registry today after only 12 months of training. Use mri in practice and the yellow and black registry review book. Thats all u really need

congrats, im taking mine soon, so nervous about it.

jenny1 in Grand Rapids, Michigan

77 months ago

ty in Stevensville, Michigan said: on the job training, not school or formal.

where did you complete your on the job training for MRI tech? any info is appreciated? thanks!

jefferbroz in Utica, Michigan

77 months ago

Looking for on the job training,for mri tech.I need any info I can get.

nesbitt in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

70 months ago

I would love details on this, I am not getting very far studying independantly. ANY onfo you have would be GREATLY appreciated!

Candi in Aston, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

thanks for the kudos! we do offer live and on-line courses in MRI, CT...and coming soon ultrasound (this fall), mammography nd cardiovascular interventional (spring 2011)... feel free to email me directly if i can provide additional information. Candi

Karen in Amherst, Ohio in Amherst, Ohio

66 months ago

Candi, I have the Mri Registry Dec.16th, my last attempt to pass. I have taken it twice and received a 69% both times,not good. I am re-reading your Mri in Practice in more detail and making note cards to study. Can you offer me any advice on how to pass my registry? I purchased a Mri reveiw cd Rite Advantage, Mri Physics and have been successfully taking and passing the multiple choice tests with all the different catagories including the ones that gave me the most difficulty, data acquisition and processing, and physical principles of image formation. Really need some advice, soon please! I lost my job due to not passing my Mri registry, so I am studying my heart out to pass, and then finding a job once I am registered. Thanks! Karen R.T. since 1993, and Mri tech since 2001.

Greg in Akron, Ohio

66 months ago

I took the registry 5yrs ago. I read the older version mri in practice/green book. Anyway, that an Lippencott's review book. Know both well and you should be fine. Good luck

Greg in Akron, Ohio

66 months ago

You could also go to dr. kanel's (sp)? He gives lectures in vegas. My friend attended and did great.

lazarou in the uk in Birmingham, United Kingdom

66 months ago

Hi Guys, I am currently working as a MRI radiographer (technologist) in the U.K. I have a 3 year BSc degree in diagnostic radiography and can take anything from xray to mri (with the correct training i can expand to the remaining modalities). I solely work in MRI at the moment but still remember all my general radiography and I am seeking advice on registering in the USA.

From what I understand a UK rad tech cannot be ARRT registered but can apply for individual state licences. I have read that MRI techs do not need licencing at all but I have seen a lot of jobs requesting licencing. Also I have read that licensing in the state of florida provides licencing in the remaining 49 states respectively.

Is this in fact the case or am I misguided in my understanding? And also does anybody know of anything else that needs to be done prior to working in the USA from a UK background?

MRI 172 in Charlottesville, Virginia

65 months ago

If this helps I passed the MRI registry last year and I read the MCI MRI Registry review 3 times and MRI Physics Made Easy 3 times and I got an 81. I also want some advice, I am the only registered MR technologist at the outpatient facility I work at, with reform and CARE and other bills coming down the road that I feel will pass, are my coworkers, who are not registered and have no desire to take the registry, in danger of loosing their jobs or being demoted? I feel so and am trying to convince them to take the registry but with no luck. Am I wasting my time?

joseph in Fountain Valley, California

63 months ago

I have ARRT(MR). There are most of jobs in California required CRT (California Registry Technologist. How can I get CRT?

Amy Chopda in Berwyn, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

Karen in Amherst, Ohio in Amherst, Ohio said: Candi, I have the Mri Registry Dec.16th, my last attempt to pass. I have taken it twice and received a 69% both times,not good. I am re-reading your Mri in Practice in more detail and making note cards to study. Can you offer me any advice on how to pass my registry? I purchased a Mri reveiw cd Rite Advantage, Mri Physics and have been successfully taking and passing the multiple choice tests with all the different catagories including the ones that gave me the most difficulty, data acquisition and processing, and physical principles of image formation. Really need some advice, soon please! I lost my job due to not passing my Mri registry, so I am studying my heart out to pass, and then finding a job once I am registered. Thanks! Karen R.T. since 1993, and Mri tech since 2001.

Karen...Candi has courses designed for exactly what your looking for. I don't know if I'm allowed to post information about it here and I definitely don't want to "break the rules", so feel free to contact me if you are still struggling! You can always "Google" Candi Roth to find her website, too ;)

Virginia K. Anderson in Mount Sterling, Kentucky

49 months ago

I graduated radiography school in 1993 with an Associate in Science. I was laid off in 2008 and haven't had any luck finding a job. I would like to know if there are any facilities willing to use my volunteer services in exchange for MRI training?

Thank you
Virginia K. Anderson RT(R)

Brad in London, United Kingdom

30 months ago

lazarou in the uk in Birmingham, United Kingdom said: Hi Guys, I am currently working as a MRI radiographer (technologist) in the U.K. I have a 3 year BSc degree in diagnostic radiography and can take anything from xray to mri (with the correct training i can expand to the remaining modalities). I solely work in MRI at the moment but still remember all my general radiography and I am seeking advice on registering in the USA.

From what I understand a UK rad tech cannot be ARRT registered but can apply for individual state licences. I have read that MRI techs do not need licencing at all but I have seen a lot of jobs requesting licencing. Also I have read that licensing in the state of florida provides licencing in the remaining 49 states respectively.

Is this in fact the case or am I misguided in my understanding? And also does anybody know of anything else that needs to be done prior to working in the USA from a UK background?

Hi Lazarou,
I have studied anatomy, neural science, physiology at 1st year level in the UK.
Is there a fast-track programme, or apprenticeship scheme to become qualified via NHS/Private as an MRI tech in the UK?
Many thanks!

Danna in Denver, Colorado

3 months ago

Hmm... this topic seems to have gone stale... can anyone recommend any good review programs?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.