MRI Training

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (301 to 329 of 329)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7   

kated92172@verizon.net in Washington, District of Columbia

33 months ago

Jeffrey,
In answer to your question about the ambiguities surrounding this field. My guess is that you have checked some government websites such as BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) which do not update their sites sometimes for 3-4 years at a time. I graduated in 2008 and the field was tanking then. Don't spend your money or your time on this field. My best advice to you is to start checking your newspapers and online jobsites to see what kind of fields are hiring.
You need to answer a few key questions for yourself , are you willing to relocate?
My guess is that there are areas of the Country where Rad Techs are needed, but they may be somewhere you don't want to live. I have yet to find anyone from any part of the Country say that their area is loaded with jobs.
School has become the new cottage industry and these schools are not going to tell you the truth about this field. It is overcrowded and supply and demand is working here. Salaries are dropping. Think twice before you sign up for this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Professor13 in Avondale, Arizona

33 months ago

bheezee85 in Phoenix, Arizona said: The issue isn't the ARMRIT, its the training he received, or lack there of. I am currently enrolled in an armrit certified program and am very well versed in pathology, anatomy, and MR physics. The word from the lead tech at my internship has said that he believes I am going to be a great tech. Don't slam the armrit just because some guy didn't pay attention in school.

You may be very good but the instructors at WCUI are garbage. I hope you didn't go there or atleast had one of the younger instructors teach you. the two that are there now are terrible. The whole school is a bunch of crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MRI GUY in Mishawaka, Indiana

32 months ago

Tim Smith in Everett, Washington said: I totally agree. I am a ARMRIT certified MRI Technologist who has worked on diffrent MRI Scanners and software. I have seen many ARRT technologist who have no idea what parameters to use for simple T1, PD, and T2 weighted images. I have seen & tought many ARRT technologist who have no Idea what Matrix is i.e. Phase encoding, frequency encoding, voxel, volume, slice, gap/skip etc.... The magnet is what it is. The software and gradients make it. I honestly belive if you go through a school to learn X-ray then you are an expert at X-ray. I went through school to study MRI in depth. I am an expert in the field of MRI. I have only meet a few X-ray tech's who had any understanding of the physics of MRI, anatomy, cross-sectional anatomy, terminology, instrumentation at a basic level. I would only want a skilled well trained X-ray tech. to expose me and my family to X-rays. I would only want a ARDMS well trained US to do a Ultrasound on me and my family. I would only want a well trained MRI technologist who went to school for MRI to do MY MRI!!! Not a programed button pusher...

Best comment yet. Thanks.
I honestly believe the argument of having X-ray or CT credentials before training into MRI is just a way to pad one's job security and appear more highly qualified.
What about the guy coming out of x-ray school? Was there some other specialty he had to learn before going into x-ray? Nope. He studied hard, worked his butt off in his clinical rotations, passed the registry and entered the job market as an adequately trained x-ray tech. No hassle about not having previous experience in a different (unrelated) field.
Yes it is important to have experience in the field, which is what clinical rotations in your specific modality are designed to do. Perhaps all the x-ray techs should be required to work for free for 1.5+ years in MRI before becoming registry eligible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

W.B.C. in San Leandro, California

30 months ago

First of all I just finished received an ARMRIT certification but I am a trained Organic chemist with a PhD. Here's how I see the ARRT/ARMRIT debate; in my field if you told an analytical chemist that he needs to be able to run an X ray diffractometer in order to be good at NMR or mass spectrometry you would be laughed out of the building.

The principles that govern each modality are DAY and NIGHT just like X-ray and MRI. Like so many have said before there's no technical argument for ARRT snobs to stand on. My goal is to do MRI research so my stake in this argument is small. Btw, people with neither ARRT or ARMRIT do the bulk of the cutting edge MRI work. Can you imagine that, people publishing MRI work without an X-ray background? Unfathomable...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Zumba7 in Oyster Bay, New York

30 months ago

I am currently an x-ray tech being cross trained in MRI. I have a bunch of books and having began studying but would like to take a course (preferably not online) before taking the ARRT exam. The only program I found in my area requires you to a full time student for one year. My work schedule does not allow for this. Any suggestions?

MRI 172 in Charlottesville, Virginia

30 months ago

Zumba7 in Oyster Bay, New York said: I am currently an x-ray tech being cross trained in MRI. I have a bunch of books and having began studying but would like to take a course (preferably not online) before taking the ARRT exam. The only program I found in my area requires you to a full time student for one year. My work schedule does not allow for this. Any suggestions?

I was only able to study myself for the registry. I got an 81 with self study so have faith you can do it too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ldev in Tampa, Florida

30 months ago

I found a great book for you.
Its called MRI FOT TECHNOLOGISTS By PEGGY WOODWARD
By MCGRAW HILL 2nd edition. Please contact Jennifer Pierce Florida

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ldev in Tampa, Florida

30 months ago

M SO SORRY... MRI FOR TECHNOLOGISTS

Paul in Chino, California

27 months ago

W.B.C. in San Leandro, California said: "Like so many have said before there's no technical argument for ARRT snobs to stand on"..........

Yes, I myself as an ARMRIT certified tech, I agree that ARMRIT techs are just as competent and well trained as an ARRT certified tech when it comes to MRI, if not more competent. But..........

The argument of job competency, ARRT vs ARMRIT, is IRRELEVANT! The relevancy is the job market, and this is where the ARRT wins by a 1st round KO! The defense that I see ARMRIT techs say in regards to the job market, "recognized by ACR", "ARMRIT techs have found jobs at hospitals" - these arguments in favor of the ARMRIT, while true, don't hold water for too long.

As of this posting, 04-16-2012, I did a job search under the keyword "ARMRIT" in the state of California, ONLY 6 JOBS! Then I did a keyword search "ARRT - MRI" in the state of California: 114 JOBS! 1-2 years ago, these search results were about the same, and I predict that 1 year from now, these same exact search results will remain about the same (Over 90% of all advertised MRI jobs were, and will continue to be, ARRT ONLY)........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Chino, California

27 months ago

........And to add further insult to injury, I also called this medical temp. agency in SoCal (MediScan) about 1 year ago, and was told that their clients, whom are mostly hospitals, want mainly ARRT certified techs. I asked the lady if she heard of ARMRIT, she said yes, then I tried to explain about the ARMRIT, but she continued to say, "yes I know about the ARMRIT, but our clients want ARRT"....

See what I mean? Like I said, an ARMRIT techs' best defenses in regards to the job market don't hold water.

Currently I've been on the wait list for 2 years now at a community college to get into their RadTech program so I can get certified by the ARRT. Best of luck to any ARMRIT techs out there who still see this license as "worth fighting for". As for me, there is too much overwhelming evidence from basic job searching (ie indeed.com) that tells me (and others) that the ARMRIT is not worth fighting for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Norwalk, Connecticut

23 months ago

Radiographer in Beaverton, Oregon said: First of all you need to be a Radiographer, then you need to get cross trained by your employer of find a way to get clinical time so you can get certified in MRI. As far as employment goes, well by the time you become a MRI tech (3-5 years), it will most likely be very hard to find a job, most employers want two years experience and there aren't that many jobs available. Just think hospitals have 4-6 MRI techs on staff, 10-50 x-ray/CT techs, and 100's of nurses. Nursing is a much safer field to enter if you are just starting out, as the Imaging field has basically been flooded. Except for Ultrasound, but that is a different story, hope this helps you.

2020 there will be an increase in needed MRI Techs so now is the time to enroll

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

It's a messy situation. I decided to make a major career change 5 years ago and thought I was taking a sound path. I enrolled in an ARMRIT program, did very well and passed the registry. Once the process of finding a job began - reality hit. However, I got lucky (timing - and this was early in 2009) and a facility in CA contacted me. One thing led to another and I was flown out for an interview. 5 days later I received a call offering me a position. LUCKY!

ARMRIT, in theory, is a great idea. But the reality in this current economic climate is this: employers need to maximize every penny they pay their employees (sure, management EVERYWHERE will make stupid moves that end up being wasteful, but at times they do understand business) and quite simply - they want to be able to "double-dip" and that's one of the primary reasons they almost always want someone who is ARRT. In this way they know that you have at least ONE additional modality that you are legally allowed to perform, and this makes it much easier to fill service gaps in their operations as they happen (vacations, illness, etc). The question now becomes: Can any of us see a future with such a fantastic economy where management won't feel the need to "double-dip"? HIGHLY DOUBTFUL. Double-dipping allows them to be slightly more profitable and that is all that matters, sadly. Good Luck to all. If some school is guaranteeing you employment, ask for it in writing and notarized. I'll bet you ANY amount of money that you won't get it.

OpenMRIguy in Astoria, New York

22 months ago

Tom in Chicago, SOOO True.
The flip side of this is, and I am an ARRT RT(R,MR)...
I've been doing MRI since late '99. I'd sweat bullets if I had to shoot XRays again, not chest Xrays per se... but the tricky stuff that is all but forgotten to me now.
I don't know many (any) RT R's who are doing MRI AND Xray simulataneously at one facility or two different modalities in two different facilities. MR just pays better, why would you get a second job that pays less?
So, yeah, they could double dip, I just wonder what the pool of techs doing both are like out there.

Tom in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

That is valid, but at some of the facilities I am familiar with, it was a regular situation for the RT Techs. I shared a chair in the MR department with 2 people who regularly ran CT and shot X-Rays. This may, in fact, be a check mark in the plus column for management. And I agree with you regarding the pay, not to mention that MR as a modality is just hugely more interesting.
It's just a sticky situation for many people who are trying to find something that they are interested in, so I just wish the picture that gets painted for them was more in-focus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Tom in Chicago, Illinois said: That is valid, but at some of the facilities I am familiar with, it was a regular situation for the RT Techs. I shared a chair in the MR department with 2 people who regularly ran CT and shot X-Rays. This may, in fact, be a check mark in the plus column for management. And I agree with you regarding the pay, not to mention that MR as a modality is just hugely more interesting.
It's just a sticky situation for many people who are trying to find something that they are interested in, so I just wish the picture that gets painted for them was more in-focus.

Agreed Tom.
It may also be a function of "Ya gotta do what ya gotta do."
Meaning, in these times, if all you can do to help you 'carry your nut' from month to month is work doing MR, if you're lucky/skilled/qualified/certified enough and shoot Xrays someplace else.... well, I guess that's what you do.
Welcome to the new normal!
(Off topic: I also am certified to inject contrast, for about 3 years now. It was definately NOT one of my favorite things to do, still isn't, but, that's what is now expected of us. I was researching transilluminators,aka: vein finders. Usually red/orange LEDs placed on the skin to locate veins on 'tough sticks'. Anyone familiar with them? They can be pricey. A nurse's blog site had a few people espousing the use of common,cheap multi LED flashlights. Anyway, life goes on, with or without you.)

MRI Technologist in Anaheim, California

20 months ago

I recently took the ARMRIT exam for the first time and passed. It wasn't as bad as I thought. In fact, it was super easy. Everyone in my class has also passed, but finding a job has been difficult with this accreditation alone. I decided to just follow through with it because I had already invested so much money. So I took the exam to see where it gets me. I don't feel optimistic at all about landing a decent job. I don't feel ARMRIT is doing enough to get their accreditation recognized. I didn't do my research on this MRI field and fell into it out of desperation because of the economy and losing a job.

If I don't land a job by next year 2013, I don't plan to renew my license, especially with the costs of the seminars required to maintain currency. For those of you taking the ARMRIT exam and have questions, let me know. I can't figure how anyone could fail it. They answers were so obvious.

Some people I know who spent twice as much as I did have struggled to pass the exam. The guy that trained me during my externship must've taken the exam 10 times. I heard those people in X-Ray required to get licensed in MRI are having difficulty passing the MRI-ARRT exam. Is this true? I'm not sure how similar the ARMRIT exam is to the MRI-ARRT exam. I just hope I can find work to help pay off what I paid into this.

20 months ago

I really don't want to kick you while you are down, but:

"I recently took the ARMRIT exam for the first time and passed. It wasn't as bad as I thought. In fact, it was super easy. Everyone in my class has also passed, but finding a job has been difficult with this accreditation alone."

Discussions about ARMRIT VS ARRT-MR has been raging here and on many other sites for some time. I took the ARRT MR registry last October, I had been studying for months, bout DVD registry reviews, mock tests, study books, I even took a week off from work, vacation time, to cram for the exam. I got an 86 on the exam..... but it was a bear! I just was in panic mode and studied like my life depended on it, well, my job actually. You know what? I don't know if it was worth it! i have a friend here at work who took, and passed the exam about when I did. He's considering going back to school for pharmacy. It sucks out there, I'm sorry. Good luck.

20 months ago

Check this site out too to get a well rounded idea of what's going on, especially the Technologist forums.

www.auntminnie.com/index.asp?d=1&Sec=mkt&Sub=emp&Pag=srs&profession=44

MRI Technologist in Anaheim, California

20 months ago

OpenMRIguy in Astoria, New York said: I really don't want to kick you while you are down, but:

"I recently took the ARMRIT exam for the first time and passed. It wasn't as bad as I thought. In fact, it was super easy. Everyone in my class has also passed, but finding a job has been difficult with this accreditation alone."

Discussions about ARMRIT VS ARRT-MR has been raging here and on many other sites for some time. I took the ARRT MR registry last October, I had been studying for months, bout DVD registry reviews, mock tests, study books, I even took a week off from work, vacation time, to cram for the exam. I got an 86 on the exam..... but it was a bear! I just was in panic mode and studied like my life depended on it, well, my job actually. You know what? I don't know if it was worth it! i have a friend here at work who took, and passed the exam about when I did. He's considering going back to school for pharmacy. It sucks out there, I'm sorry. Good luck.

I agree. The market for MRI Techs is awful. Like I said, I stumbled on an ARMRIT accreditation out of desperation. A friend had suggested it to me thinking she had done the research. I went forward because I had no other alternatives. I will give it one year. If I don't find work, I will not renew my license with ARMRIT. Their accreditation is a joke. True, some people in my class have found decent jobs. But the sad of the matter is every place I look, no one recognizes this accreditation. It's terrible that these schools can operate and accept people's money very limited recognition of the type of license. It's terrible. I'm looking at a different field altogether. I don't have confidence that my ARMRIT license will get me anywhere. I'm just glad I didn't spend as much money as some did for the same ARMRIT license.

kayla in Chicago, Illinois

6 months ago

MRI Technologist in Anaheim, California said: I recently took the ARMRIT exam for the first time and passed. It wasn't as bad as I thought. In fact, it was super easy. Everyone in my class has also passed, but finding a job has been difficult with this accreditation alone. I decided to just follow through with it because I had already invested so much money. So I took the exam to see where it gets me. I don't feel optimistic at all about landing a decent job. I don't feel ARMRIT is doing enough to get their accreditation recognized. I didn't do my research on this MRI field and fell into it out of desperation because of the economy and losing a job.

If I don't land a job by next year 2013, I don't plan to renew my license, especially with the costs of the seminars required to maintain currency. For those of you taking the ARMRIT exam and have questions, let me know. I can't figure how anyone could fail it. They answers were so obvious.

Some people I know who spent twice as much as I did have struggled to pass the exam. The guy that trained me during my externship must've taken the exam 10 times. I heard those people in X-Ray required to get licensed in MRI are having difficulty passing the MRI-ARRT exam. Is this true? I'm not sure how similar the ARMRIT exam is to the MRI-ARRT exam. I just hope I can find work to help pay off what I paid into this.

what do you recommend to pass the ARMRIT exam?

Keri in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

5 months ago

Hi I am new to this board and was just trying to request some information from Candi Roth on MRI schools,preferably an accredited online school. I am a CHOP employee and was pointed in your direction. I have heard such wonderful things about you and look forward to hearing from you!

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

5 months ago

radiator81 in Seattle, Washington said: I agree with Erro s in Tampa. I completed aa 1 year program from a reputable college and got my ARRT MR registry in July of 08 and have had maybe 10 interviews with no job offers. They all want someone who can walk in with no orientation or training to that particular job. Or they want 3-5 years or more experience.

The schools and online courses have ruined it for us old time techs. The sad thing is that they are hiring brand new RT's and training them in MRI so they do not have to pay them. A slap in the face to those of us who worked our butts off.
You can blame the ARRT for allowing the schools to operate. They want the memmbership as do the schools. I was also told that many techs are getting laid off so they can hire new techs for less. So much for loyalty. It is all about money and sadly, that is not why I went into the field as many of the newbies have. I am ready to bail.
I recently heard that if you are registered after 2010, you will have to retake the registry exams every 10 years and those of us before will not. So that will get rid of some of the slackers.
Yep, dog eat dog! Or man eat man.

It was better when they had hospital-based programs for all modalities.
Now these schools are flooding everything from X-ray to ultrasound.
What people on here don't get...is that there are limited amounts of jobs to begin with in these fields. Places don't staff like nursing. Some places, there is one tech doing a modality, some hospitals only have a couple of techs...
Where do all of these people think they are going to work?

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

5 months ago

Steve in Norwalk, Connecticut said: 2020 there will be an increase in needed MRI Techs so now is the time to enroll

That's terrible to put something like that out there which is misleading.

AdamR in La Jolla, California

4 months ago

Looking to possibly get some info on the ARMRIT exam, was it really that easy for you? I am scheduled to take it this week, naturally I'm nervous. Are you still in the field now? Email me if possible (Live2skaye88@aol.com) Thanks!

MRI Technologist in Irvine, California

2 months ago

kayla in Chicago, Illinois said: what do you recommend to pass the ARMRIT exam?

Hi there. I actually stopped visiting this forum because I gave up on MRI altogether. I did renew my license for 3 years, but don't plan on renewing it after the 3 years. I found a different path far from health care. Were you able to pass the ARMRIT exam? The exam is very easy. It's broken into 3 parts - Anatomy, Physics 1 and Physics 2, all multiple choice. Good Luck!

MRI Technologist in Irvine, California

2 months ago

AdamR in La Jolla, California said: If I don't land a job by next year 2013, I don't plan to renew my license, especially with the costs of the seminars required to maintain currency. For those of you taking the ARMRIT exam and have questions, let me know. I can't figure how anyone could fail it. They answers were so obvious.

Looking to possibly get some info on the ARMRIT exam, was it really that easy for you? I am scheduled to take it this week, naturally I'm nervous. Are you still in the field now? Email me if possible (Live2skaye88@aol.com) Thanks!

How did you do on your exam?

Ace in Alpine, California

2 months ago

Passed with flying colors! Got a full time job as well as a per diem job within 1 week of passing. Success!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sizzors1 in Sonoma, California

13 days ago

I passed the ARRT last year it was not hard at all, I used MRI in practice but what really got me through was Bill and Dan from MRI CT group in Florida. sign up for their 4 week online $500 review course and you will pass easy. The Faulkner/ Roth review book is full of wrong answers and to date no one has fixed it. I bought both the hard copy and kindle and I was really mad that I wasted all that money do not buy that book trust me on this. They should be ashamed for not proof reading that book before sending it to print. Anyway don't get all nevous over this. I got an 88 and finished in under an hour and I went in thinking it would be so hard I was sure to fail. I had one math question and never touched a calculator. Call Bill and Dan it will be the best money you ever spent. If you are looking to cross train take the full course it's the best course out there and the cheapest.

sizzors1 in Sonoma, California

13 days ago

Does anyone know anything about medical and medicare refusing to pay hospitals that have non ARRT techs doing MRI. My friend is ARMRID and Kaiser wont hire him, I asked my super at Kaiser about a job for him and he said ARRT is required to work there. Kaiser pays well for MRI so this is huge, I would get ARRT if there really a new law going into effect. If anyone has seen this posted at ARRT or anywhere please send me the link.

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.