How do you get started with becoming a mri tech?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 153)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

peaches902 in Columbus, Georgia

65 months ago

I am starting radiology tech classes in January, and I was wondering once I get my degree as a radiologist technician. What do I do next to become a mri technician? Also, how long will I have to be in school to get an mri degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (346) / No (68) Reply - Report abuse

peaches902 in Columbus, Georgia

65 months ago

I would also like to know, if anyone stays in Georgia, how the job market is for radiologist technicians or mri techs in this area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

amyindallas in Euless, Texas

62 months ago

Central Georgia Technical College's campus in Macon, GA has a MRI certificate program. It's 3 quarters in length. You have clinicals and classroom lectures and in the last quarter there is also a registry review class to prep you for the ARRT MRI registry. That might be a good option for you after you finsih your Rad Tech degree. I have no ideas about the job market in your area (I'm in Texas).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

taurus20 in Decatur, Georgia

62 months ago

Hi peaches,I live in Atlanta,Ga.I've been a rad tech for 12 yrs but I've been doing mri for the last three yrs. Right now I know that the job market for rad techs in atlanta and all over the country is not so good. I cant even find a full time job,I'm just prn. And for people just graduating from school its even worse. I think this is because of 1)the economy is in a bad recession and 2)x-ray schools in this country have accepted way too many students which have flooded the market for years to come.The demand for x-ray techs is no where like it used to be so theres just not enough jobs for everybody. Before you spend your hard earned money on a rad tech program,please thoroughly research this field by talking to people already employed in it. Dont trust what the schools tell you,they just want your money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

jason in louisville in Louisville, Kentucky

62 months ago

taurus20 in Decatur, Georgia said: Hi peaches,I live in Atlanta,Ga.I've been a rad tech for 12 yrs but I've been doing mri for the last three yrs. Right now I know that the job market for rad techs in atlanta and all over the country is not so good. I cant even find a full time job,I'm just prn. And for people just graduating from school its even worse. I think this is because of 1)the economy is in a bad recession and 2)x-ray schools in this country have accepted way too many students which have flooded the market for years to come.The demand for x-ray techs is no where like it used to be so theres just not enough jobs for everybody. Before you spend your hard earned money on a rad tech program,please thoroughly research this field by talking to people already employed in it. Dont trust what the schools tell you,they just want your money.

hello there,
i live in louisville, ky and am looking to go to school for something in the medical feild like a PTA, OTA, biomedical equipment tech or a x-ray tech. what is the job market like for these feilds and is it stable or worth pursuing an associates for? i am interested in any advice or suggestions.

thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Port Charlotte, Florida

62 months ago

peaches902 in Columbus, Georgia said: I am starting radiology tech classes in January, and I was wondering once I get my degree as a radiologist technician. What do I do next to become a mri technician? Also, how long will I have to be in school to get an mri degree?

Once you graduate from rad.school, and if your employer will allow you to train on the job in mri. You do not have to go back to school for mri yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

misskimmy71 in Kalamazoo, Michigan

62 months ago

peaches902 in Columbus, Georgia said: I am starting radiology tech classes in January, and I was wondering once I get my degree as a radiologist technician. What do I do next to become a mri technician? Also, how long will I have to be in school to get an mri degree?

I'm not sure how it is in Georgia but here i Michigan, There are a couple of actual MRI programs at the community colleges that I think are only a year and you don't have to have your RT degree first. Otherwise, you can also crosstrain, on the job. That is how I became an MRI tech. Getting your certification, as far as how long it takes, if you crosstrain on the job, it's up to you and your employer. Most employers require you to pass the MRI registry within 2 years from the date you were hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

taurus20red in Lithonia, Georgia

52 months ago

Are you a new graduate or do you have years of experience in mri? NOBODY in Ga comes out of mri school making $72,000 a year, unless they have two jobs or putting in at least 20 hrs of overtime. Thats an unbelievable salary for a new graduate mri tech in Ga.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MRILinda in Palos Heights,, Illinois

51 months ago

Are you a new graduate or do you have years of experience in mri? NOBODY in Ga comes out of mri school making $72,000 a year, unless they have two jobs or putting in at least 20 hrs of overtime. Thats an unbelievable salary for a new graduate mri tech in Ga.

taurus, I think Tony is a very good exaggerator, or as you said working 25 hours of OT a week. Unless he has been a MRI tech for many years, I highly doubt he is making that kind of money. Just because you study hard doesn't make you a great tech. And, we won't go into how ARMRIT is better than going thru X-ray first. With the job situation as it is, Tony better keep his high paying job...cause he won't get that anywhere else, unless he has years of experience. Just my opinion....

Linda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

FAST SPIN in Las Vegas, Nevada

51 months ago

I was lucky . I found a mobile mri company out of state and they hired he with no mri experience. They gave me on the job training plus sent me to MTMI Wisconsin. Now you can get a Bachelor degree in MRI at University of Mich. I also used alot of mri books to study, My freind told me about a web site called www.mrireviewstore.com. He said they have a good MRI Review course at a reasonable price. If you REALLY want to become an MRI Technologists, I suggest you do what ever it takes! Meaning, contacting mri employers on career finder or career builder .com and write a nice letter that you are willing to learn mri and move out of state if needed. There are alot of MRI jobs here out west in California, AZ, So I suggest you start contacting asap!
Best of Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

melanie6613 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

FAST SPIN in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I was lucky . I found a mobile mri company out of state and they hired he with no mri experience. They gave me on the job training plus sent me to MTMI Wisconsin. Now you can get a Bachelor degree in MRI at University of Mich. I also used alot of mri books to study, My freind told me about a web site called www.mrireviewstore.com . He said they have a good MRI Review course at a reasonable price. If you REALLY want to become an MRI Technologists, I suggest you do what ever it takes! Meaning, contacting mri employers on career finder or career builder .com and write a nice letter that you are willing to learn mri and move out of state if needed. There are alot of MRI jobs here out west in California, AZ, So I suggest you start contacting asap!
Best of Luck!

FAST SPIN:

Email me at melanie6613@yahoo.com. I have some questions I would like to ask you. If you don't mind. Thanks.

Melanie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Abill Voicemail Aaabill in Marietta, Georgia

51 months ago

Buying a review course is not the best way to become an MRI Tech. Find a good school. There are a lot of 1 to 2 year programs out there. I have been in mri since 1982 n run across all kinds of techs. The best n the worst. ARRT n ARMRIT both have good n bad techs. You can tell the good tech when they can explain T1 n T2 or how K Space works. Not just long TR n Long TE but why fluid is bright on T2 in detail. These are the techs that either went thru MRI school or kept studying on their own n have many years of experience. Reading a course over two weeks memorizing n finding someone who will let u be a free tech aid n show u how to push buttons n set up slices makes a bad tech. Find a school n learn as much as u can about physics, safety, infection control and so on. When u sit behind a scanner, know how to get the best spine images on a 22 y/o 300 lb male versus an 88 y/o female with osteoporosis. You shouldnt use the same protocols on each. If u can make each the best picture on each as if they were your relatives n know WHY you are getting the best images, than ur an MRI tech. Find a school. Bill

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

natasor in Sylvania, Ohio

51 months ago

I have a NMTCB and ARRT(N) lisences. Whjat is the fastest way to get MRI certification?
Does anybody knows the way, or school, or free internship?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Dear Natasor,
There is NO quick way to learn or MRI. Read all the forums above and other's that spell out the difference between ARMRIT schools, and being a Registered Radiologic Tech, then going into MRI through the place your working. There are as many different opinions as hairs on my head...OOPs, those are lessening with age too! However, simply, there is BUNCH of Techs, X-Ray, and MRI that cannot find jobs. Even if you do obtain your certification in MRI, they usually want someone with experience. The market is flooded, and many of the schools that want to charge you an arm and a leg to go through lie about the jobs out there.
And, on a final note....NEVER take the quick way out of getting or achieving something. That too shows up with NO experience on your resume. Best wishes.....

Linda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jiggish007 in Newark, Delaware

51 months ago

Hi
Is Cleveland Clinic a good place to do CT and MRI program. Are they accredited?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jiggish007 in Newark, Delaware

51 months ago

How is the market for MRI technologist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bammer101 in Marietta, Georgia

51 months ago

You can go directly into an MRI school if you have certain pre-rec's These schools are 15 months to 2 years long and make sure it is an approved school first. The ARMRIT (American Registry for MRI Technologists) looks at MRI as its own field, like the RDMS for ultrasound. Go to ARMRIT.org and check it out.

Bill

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

myaleye in Atlanta, Georgia

50 months ago

Peaches< how did everything work out, just wondering as I was also looking for a good mri school.

50 months ago

Watch for schools that make u find your own clinical sites. They are very hard to find. There is a 15 month school in Austell GA that has 7 clinical affiliate mri centers plus one insure u can use for your clinical's. This school is long n intensive but has 3 straight weeks of registry reviews at the end along with 8-10 mock tests. It's at www.namrit.org. Or .com. I forget which. It covers all the physics in 400 classroom hours n you need to put in 1000 clinical hours, so when u graduate u know how to scan and why you are changing parameters to improve images. Check out the website, call the guidance confounds n talk to the students in classes now n ask them about it. Best way to find a good school is to talk to current students.

Bammer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mriteck4u in Cabot, Arkansas

50 months ago

Please if any body reads this that is thinking about going to x ray school, DONT! There is no jobs anywhere. I graduated about two months ago and I only know one person in my class of 18 that actually has a job. I thought it was just a Florida problem but by reading this I can tell it's a national problem. I wonder why something is not being done to restrict the schools from putting out all these techs. It is really bad for the career. The ARRT should be trying to do something. For me, I guess Im starting to think about doing something else. Its not a good feeling to know that very soon I am going to have a huge school bill and not the high paying job I was expecting to help pay it. Same for MRI the Jobs are not out there don't waste your time.

taurus20red in Atlanta, Georgia

50 months ago

I agree with you. I am ARRT registered in MRI and x-ray with 4 yrs experience in mri and 8 yrs in x-ray. I cant even find a fulltime job right now in either modality. I know an MRI tech with 8 yrs experience who is only working prn cause that is all he can find. The radiology field is way too saturated right now and I wouldnt recommend anyone to go to school for it either. There are a lot of frustrated and broke x-ray techs out there right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Bammer,
Aren't you one of the leader's of the schools of ARMRIT? I would be very careful what you are telling these people. MRI jobs are not easy to find..UNLESS you have experience! And, like it or not...ARRT Registered MRI tech's will probably get hired first...Just my 2 cents!
Linda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Linda,

The ARMRIT is a Regestry for MRI Techs, not a school or group of schools. See ARMRIT.org. I am a registered MRI n X-ray tech. I opened a school in Georgis in March n only take 12 students per year. My school has nothing to do with the ARMRIT or the ARRT. It's strickly a school for people who wish to become MRI techs. it's 15 months long n there are 3 students in my first n only class who already have mri jobs lined up. I am very careful what I say n I do not run a chain of schools as u suggested in your statement. But thanks for your advice. I know the market is tough all over. I still feel a well trained technologist can find work if they look hard enough. For exact statistics see my website n the link to the national labor board. Thanks. Bammer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

taurus20red in Atlanta, Georgia

50 months ago

Bammer101,
I'm looking for a fulltime or parttime job in MRI. I'm ARRT registered in mri with 4 yrs experience.I've worked on both open magnets and high field magnets in hospitals and clinics.If you have any information on any companies that are hiring in Atlanta could you please e-mail me at taurus20red@yahoo.com. You sound like someone who might have a lot of contacts in the MRI community.I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

50 months ago

I am writing to apologize to Carolyn( might have name wring but look down posts), I thought she was insinuating that I was running mri schools for the ARMRIT. After reading it again closely I realized what she was saying. So in response, first I apologize, second, my school that just opened in Atlanta is primarily for X-ray techs who wish to become mri techs with extensive training. Again it's a 15 month program and very in-depth on mri physics, safety n scanning. We have our own scanners n affiliates for students to get the 1000 clinical hours I require for my class. I am a strong supporter of the ARMRIT n all my students must take the ARMRIT registry within 6 months of graduating. They can also take the ARRT upgrade certification test for MRI. I encourage both. We do accept students who are not already X-Ray techs but only with a strong medical background n on a case by case basis. Students are informed the an x-ray tech with mri registry is more likely to get a job as most hospitals want someone who can fill in as an x-ray tech also. I have been mri since 1982 n have seen many ARRT n ARMRIT techs. There are good n bad ones in each. However, just being registered as ARMRIT does not mean you can't find an mri job. I know of 10-12 jobs right now I can fill if tech is willing to relocate. Yes it is more difficult as only ARMRIT, especially in Georgia where a lot of places have not heard of it. But the ARMRIT techs are very well trained n must go thru a 12 month minimum school n pass a very difficult test. The American College of Radiology as of June 2008 stated that they accept ARMRIT tech as registered mri techs n Medicare accepts them. They are just as qualified as ARRT tech who pass their mri test. Again my school is over 75% xray techs but the ones that are not will be able to find a job with just a little extra effort n I can get them a job if they are willing to relocate. Sorry for misunderstanding what you wrote, but I stand by my ONE mri school. Bammer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

I would like to extend an offer to mri Technologists in an mri school anywhere close to atlanta who are having trouble finding a place to do your clinical's. I've heard it can be difficult to find a place to allow you to work as a student and get your hours in. I have several scanners n more affiliates that you might be able to get your clinical hours in if you are already in an mri school. For information on this please contact me directly at bammer101@me.com. That's my personal email. Please no calls, This is only if you do not have a place for your clinical's. Not for a closer site to your home. I am trying to help techs who can't find a clinical site. Bammer

(Bill George).

missmri9 in Auburn Hills, Michigan

50 months ago

misskimmy71 in Kalamazoo, Michigan said: I'm not sure how it is in Georgia but here i Michigan, There are a couple of actual MRI programs at the community colleges that I think are only a year and you don't have to have your RT degree first. Otherwise, you can also crosstrain, on the job. That is how I became an MRI tech. Getting your certification, as far as how long it takes, if you crosstrain on the job, it's up to you and your employer. Most employers require you to pass the MRI registry within 2 years from the date you were hired.

Hi I have been an MRI tech for 7years coming from the east coast to Michigan, and I am looking for a Mri course to get my certificate, Im hoping that it will also help me pass the registry. I need some class time to help me get through it, so can you give me the colleges that offer this program? Thanks so much....Anything closer that Kalamazoo? Im in auburn hills!

50 months ago

It's mandatory to be registered unless u have been a technologist since 1996( I could be off on exact year), check technologist requirements per www.ACR.org under mri certification. The sight must have registered techs to have their site ACR certified n most insurance companies require this or acrml
To allow u to scan n get paid for their patients. As far as mri tests go. Ccheck out ARRT for mri upgrade certification testing. I believe u need to go thru a program and or get 225 scans in before u can sit for their test. the other registry ARMRIT.org has requirements too n most require a school program n 1000 hours of scanning. There are grandfather clauses but if ur looking at becoming a new tech. Check the requirements n find a good school program. Best of luck.
Bammer

DAVID J. in Phoenix, Arizona

49 months ago

Do have any recommendations for ARRT school, I will be finished with my MRI schooling in December but 6 months of clinicals which they will place me but not a guaranteed job placement. I have been considering moving to Atlanta to be closer to family but I like some insight since I didn't look into the differences in ARRT and ARTMIT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

David,
NO one, regardless of what they say, can make a promise of a job when your finished with your schooling. So, PLEASE do not listen to some of the schools that tell you they can. The market for MRI tech's is over saturated now, and, only the Lord up above will be able to tell the future.

If you have read through this forum, you will have gotten a lot of different opinions. I urge you to look through some of the big cities classified adds. You may find your answer there. There are much greater chances of being hired IN MY OPINION, if you are ARRT certified. I know ARMRIT is just a testing process...or that is what I was told from the above. But, remember the boards you take are different. The ARRT MRI boards and the ARMRIT ones are different. Are they both a26recognized by ACR...yes....but, go thru the big city newspaper adds. If your not ARRT certified, it doesn't make it impossible, but, possibly less likely to get a job. I base that on all the Career boards and classified adds I've read through. There are some jobs here in Chicago area. However, it's pretty cold. Best wishes in your endeavor!

Linda

49 months ago

Sorry about my spelling error above...the devil made me do it!

Linda

49 months ago

Point of clarification. ARMRIT is NOT just a testing registry. you must go thru an approved MRI school to sit for the ARMRIT. These schools are 12-24 months long n are extremely intensive. Minimum of 400 hours classroom and 1000 clinical hours. Most ARMRIT techs are very well trained in scanning This is not to say that ARRat techs are bad techs. I've worked in MRI for 28 years n both have good n bad techs. As far as schooling. Ask previous students about the school. Some are short n tough to find clinical sites. The job market in Atlanta is very bad right now. However I see jobs open each week. Probably 10 techs trying to get each one though. Medicare cut backs have hurt mri bad. I agree. No school can garuntee you a job If they say they can, stay away. If you want an mri career, do your research. The best source of info are prior students. Remember ARMRIT is MRI only so you are cutting out 30% of job opportunities as ARMRIT only but there are many places you can work as ARMRIT registered tech. Goodluck. Research research research. Bammer

DAVID J. in Phoenix, Arizona

49 months ago

Bammer101 in Marietta, Georgia said: Point of clarification. ARMRIT is NOT just a testing registry. you must go thru an approved MRI school to sit for the ARMRIT. These schools are 12-24 months long n are extremely intensive. Minimum of 400 hours classroom and 1000 clinical hours. Most ARMRIT techs are very well trained in scanning This is not to say that ARRat techs are bad techs. I've worked in MRI for 28 years n both have good n bad techs. As far as schooling. Ask previous students about the school. Some are short n tough to find clinical sites. The job market in Atlanta is very bad right now. However I see jobs open each week. Probably 10 techs trying to get each one though. Medicare cut backs have hurt mri bad. I agree. No school can garuntee you a job If they say they can, stay away. If you want an mri career, do your research. The best source of info are prior students. Remember ARMRIT is MRI only so you are cutting out 30% of job opportunities as ARMRIT only but there are many places you can work as ARMRIT registered tech. Goodluck. Research research research. Bammer

thanks for FYI, I want to become a MRI tech with knowledge not a button pusher

Godwithus in San Diego, California

49 months ago

Well, it's bad all over, but don't lose hope there are jobs out there. By the way I'am an ARMRIT tech and I'm working in a level 1 trauma hospital and working per-diem for a great company here in San Diego (private clinic), we actually scan pro footbal players coz the company has open MRI's (San Diego, Chargers). Be patient but you have to go and be registered by either ARMRIT or ARRT. They are both great organizations. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nani135 in Tampa, Florida

49 months ago

Iam an mri tech/ radiographer arrt registered living in Tampa, florida. The job market here is real bad, only prn position. Right now iam working 30 hours a week as an mri tech. i have been an mri tech for 17 years and looking for a part-time but nothing.

brenda in Dallas, Texas

48 months ago

Bammer101 in Marietta, Georgia said: It's mandatory to be registered unless u have been a technologist since 1996( I could be off on exact year), check technologist requirements per www.ACR.org under mri certification. The sight must have registered techs to have their site ACR certified n most insurance companies require this or acrml
To allow u to scan n get paid for their patients. As far as mri tests go. Ccheck out ARRT for mri upgrade certification testing. I believe u need to go thru a program and or get 225 scans in before u can sit for their test. the other registry ARMRIT.org has requirements too n most require a school program n 1000 hours of scanning. There are grandfather clauses but if ur looking at becoming a new tech. Check the requirements n find a good school program. Best of luck.
Bammer

No it IS NOT mandatory that you be registered(though I think it should be)...that IS NOT what is says on the ACR website. Read it again. I am constantly amazed at the misinformation and terrible grammar displayed on here.

48 months ago

brenda in Dallas, Texas said: No it IS NOT mandatory that you be registered(though I think it should be)...that IS NOT what is says on the ACR website. Read it again. I am constantly amazed at the misinformation and terrible grammar displayed on here.

Brenda,
In Bammer's defense, not that he has asked me too, I will say, even if you did read that, Registered MRI Tech's are having difficult times getting a job, let alone anyone without being registered. I would have come under the 1996 grandfather clause, but chose to take my boards from the ARRT. I also took my CT Registry. I will never be sorry for either. The ACR and the ARRT and MOST hospitals, as well and imaging centers are falling under terribly scrutiny now with restrictions that have been put on them by the government. If you ever had to do ACR certification, you would possibly understand just how stringent they are.

No one here, I think, wants to use bad grammar, or get nasty. It's a forum. We all don't have to agree. As with anything in life, take from the forum what you think you can use, and then if your still not happy, the internet is a world of information.

Best wishes...
Linda Bigus R.T. (R)(CYT)(MRI) in Palos Heights, IL

brenda in Dallas, Texas

48 months ago

MRILinda in Palos Heights,, Illinois said: Brenda,
In Bammer's defense, not that he has asked me too, I will say, even if you did read that, Registered MRI Tech's are having difficult times getting a job, let alone anyone without being registered. I would have come under the 1996 grandfather clause, but chose to take my boards from the ARRT. I also took my CT Registry. I will never be sorry for either. The ACR and the ARRT and MOST hospitals, as well and imaging centers are falling under terribly scrutiny now with restrictions that have been put on them by the government. If you ever had to do ACR certification, you would possibly understand just how stringent they are.

No one here, I think, wants to use bad grammar, or get nasty. It's a forum. We all don't have to agree. As with anything in life, take from the forum what you think you can use, and then if your still not happy, the internet is a world of information.

Best wishes...
Linda Bigus R.T. (R)(CYT)(MRI) in Palos Heights, IL

Ummm what? It has nothing to do with "agreeing". This is not a matter of "opinion". The ACR website DOES NOT say what he said it does.. That is simply a fact. I clearly stated that I DO think techs should be registered...so I really don't get your point at all. I don't need any additional "information" from the internet,what are you talking about?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MATT in Bronx, New York

48 months ago

New Graduate. What does anyone out there recommend that I learn first, CT scan or MRI? (ps.. i get bored easy and I'm aware of how long a MRI exam can take)

the ringer in Glendale, Arizona

48 months ago

learn basic MRI compared to CT more time but no radiation

FAIL in West Palm Beach, Florida

48 months ago

This job field failed so bad. Lots of un trained so called MR Techs, and lots of unemployed Radtechs with CT and MR. Too much into the pool what happens? Low salary you cant even compete, you dont even have a choice but to accept what they offer or someone else will!

FAIL in West Palm Beach, Florida

48 months ago

Too much Bs here, $72,000 for MR tech 3 days after graduating? LOL what a BS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bammer in Marietta, Georgia

48 months ago

Go to www.bls.gov. Type in MRI Technologists than type in your zip code or any zip code or city/State you want to know about salaries. It shows averages salaries from one year to ten years experience by years of experience. (again 1-10 only). This should settle the 72k salary for the tech in Austell Ga. Who is making what he says he is making but has 7-8 years experience . There are some great MRI jobs out there n cities where 100's of techs looking for work. Either way the economy is bad and with new tech aid positions being offered n the ARRT having a registry test for a tech aid now, things will get worse. 5 techs will turn into 3 techs n 2 tech aids. Isn't the ARRT there to support n lobby for Radiology ( all bracches), for us. It seems to me starting a registry position for a tech aid will take away jobs from us techs. Why would they do this? Can anyone think of a reason that benefits the techs they are supposed to be protecting? Come to think of it. Since we have to have CEU credits, why would we have to take the registry every ten years now too? With a registry review guide book I can cram n pass a test in an area I haven't worked in 15 years but would not be able to do the job. I wonder if more specialities will come out for testing or a breakdown to specialties of specialities. Seems the more I pay the less I can do. Bet I get some hate mail on this one. Bammer

Bammer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 in Miami, Florida

47 months ago

taurus20red in Lithonia, Georgia said: Are you a new graduate or do you have years of experience in mri? NOBODY in Ga comes out of mri school making $72,000 a year, unless they have two jobs or putting in at least 20 hrs of overtime. Thats an unbelievable salary for a new graduate mri tech in Ga.

not really it could be possible,just look up on Google- salary for an MRI TECH..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Question.....About 6 months ago I told many of you that remember, that I ended up with an ARMRIT student, that I didn't get asked to train. As a tech for over 36 yrs, with the ARRT, and Registered in Radiology, CT and MRI, I was skeptical. But, if you remember reading my posts, I was willing to give the young man a chance. Here were are now about 6 months into this, and, even he knows now his school was a sham. I am not accusing all of the ARMRIT schools shams, but, his certainly was. I work at an Orthopedic ( mostly) as we do outside referrals too, MRI site. This student came to me with so little knowledge, I couldn't believe it. Again, I gave him a chance. He tried, but, still knows nothing about Anatomy, MRI basics, and his medical terminology is just non existent. I got blasted on this board months ago about me not being fair. Now, I would love to know who to turn his school in too? Even he now realizes he got taken in. He has been to his school to ask numerous times at my urging, to go to a hospital, or a site that does more advanced studies. He has never seen peripheral gating, nor cardiac gating. He has never seen a study done with breath holds, used oral contrast, let alone angiography. When he was at his school last week, again I urged him to push them into getting him into a site that can help him. His instructors, or I should say the head of his school, Here in Chicago, told him, and I quote, "Why not just stay there (meaning with me), finish out your hours and then you can read up on the review books to pass your boards." I told him, I honestly didn't feel that any review books could ever teach you the experience you should have to pass the boards. He is stuck, as he has paid them over $16,000, and they are not following through on their part of his contract. How would I go about turning a school in like this that is so shameful?
Any advice would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bammer in Marietta, Georgia

47 months ago

Contact the ARMRIT. At www.ARMRIT.org. I'm sure they would love to hear about this school that gives a bad name to other schools that turn out excellent mri techs. Again don't just look at ARMRIT schools. I have 3 X-ray techs that went thru a certified ARRT mri school n they learned more in 3 months than they did in there complete school certified by the ARRT. There are good n bad in both. Unfortunately people get money hungry.
The best thing for a new tech to do is to ask students who have graduated n see what they know, what jobs they were able to get n how were the instructors. I urge you to contact the ARMRIT They take their accredited schools very seriously n if what you say is true, they have not followed the approved ciriculum n should be shut down. Bammer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

alexhun12 in Port Chester, New York

47 months ago

very true

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

keke.p. in Dublin, Georgia

47 months ago

I'm currently in a radiology program at a tech school. During clinicals I've learned from experienced techs that the market is extremely flooded especially in the middle ga area. The best route to take, i guess, is to become an RT(R) first because you can crossover easier into other modalities. Bridge programs and on the job training are quicker ways to be certified in other areas. I would not go into (for example) a bachelor level sonogrophy program because if you decide to cross over, you will have to start from the very beginning. Another 2-4 years of school! and on top of that, once you have a bachelor's degree, HOPE will not pay for a lower degree... so think hard and long about what routes you take!
Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Bammer in Marietta, Georgia said: Contact the ARMRIT. At www.ARMRIT.org . I'm sure they would love to hear about this school that gives a bad name to other schools that turn out excellent mri techs. Again don't just look at ARMRIT schools. I have 3 X-ray techs that went thru a certified ARRT mri school n they learned more in 3 months than they did in there complete school certified by the ARRT. There are good n bad in both. Unfortunately people get money hungry.
The best thing for a new tech to do is to ask students who have graduated n see what they know, what jobs they were able to get n how were the instructors. I urge you to contact the ARMRIT They take their accredited schools very seriously n if what you say is true, they have not followed the approved ciriculum n should be shut down. Bammer

Bammer,
I did just as you said, and, this is the response i received from Armrit.Org Below:

Your concerns should be addressed to the school directly.

Regards,
James F. Coffin, ARMRIT
President

ARMRIT 8815 Commonwealth Blvd. Bellerose, NY 11426 Ph:

Now tell me they care? Just what would you suggest I do with that? Call his school and complain about the school? Like who is watching over the accreditation?? THis concerns me on so many levels...
Linda

MRI 172 in Charlottesville, Virginia

47 months ago

MRILinda in Palos Heights,, Illinois said: Bammer,
I did just as you said, and, this is the response i received from Armrit.Org Below:

Your concerns should be addressed to the school directly.

Regards,
James F. Coffin, ARMRIT
President

ARMRIT 8815 Commonwealth Blvd. Bellerose, NY 11426 Ph:

Now tell me they care? Just what would you suggest I do with that? Call his school and complain about the school? Like who is watching over the accreditation?? THis concerns me on so many levels...
Linda

This should concern all of us!!! Wish more ARRT registered MRI Techs would speak out about this issue.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.