Getting a net developer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

How did you get your start doing net developer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

A.Y. in Milford, Massachusetts

74 months ago

I started my development career by accident - I had applied and was offered a Pre-Sales opportunity that involved a little scripting, prototyping, etc. and within a few weeks of that the company changed direction and decided they needed to develop some client based solutions. My manager at the time had taken the job during the 2002-3 lag so was actually an architect with alot of experience. He mentored me for about 18 months, during which time I learned alot about development.

After a while he left, and I followed, and throughout the next few years I picked up on more and more development fundamentals and latest trends through reading, etc.

With engineering degrees however, I do feel sometimes I'm lacking in some basics for computer programming/development. What some people take for granted and have applied over and over again, I trip up on or can't come up with immediately. Thankfully google and experts-exchange are out there :-)

I love working as a developer and would encourage anyone who has a keen interest to try. But I'd also caution that learning some basic fundamentals by someone/reference that is a good developer is a good idea. You don't want to just be a code monkey...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.