Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 99)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most nuclear medicine technologist opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Pompano Beach, Florida

83 months ago

we are seeing a temporary 'stall' in the industry. The DRA has had a significant effect on new installations and PET reimbursements need to be reevaluated before we see this incredible technology properly utilized and reimbursed
The patients are still there, in fact imaging demand is on the rise as the 'boomers' become patients and imaging moves to the forefront of medicine.

It will take a while as the congress and payors figure out how to fund the new technology for the populace. In the meantime, we need to keep increasing our skillsets as the advanced imaging technologies eveolve and move closer together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kelly in Springfield, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

There are no jobs in Pa.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brenda in West Bend, Wisconsin

78 months ago

Nuc jobs in Wisconsin are nearly non-existant, which is fairly frustrating seeing I just graduated last August with a degree. The market here is over saturated with Techs and the 2 schools that produce them just keep pumping them out every year. So if you live in Wisconsin, don't go to school for it unless you plan on moving out of state!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NMT in Gainesville, Florida

77 months ago

Brenda in West Bend, Wisconsin said: Nuc jobs in Wisconsin are nearly non-existant, which is fairly frustrating seeing I just graduated last August with a degree. The market here is over saturated with Techs and the 2 schools that produce them just keep pumping them out every year. So if you live in Wisconsin, don't go to school for it unless you plan on moving out of state!!!!!

Same goes for North Carolina, South Carolina and Florida!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Salt Lake City, Utah

77 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most nuclear medicine technologist opportunities?

It seems to be slim everywhere. Which means that employers can be picky and demand 5+ year of experience. I personally feel demand for Nuc Med scans will eventually climb. With the concern for Ct Dose becoming a bigger issue over the next few years and especially with the "Hopkins" report that came out, you should see a trend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bob Cleary in Richmond, Virginia

77 months ago

I agree with John re: the demand for techs and NM services.

We are in the 'backlash' of the DRA.....$ for Diagnostic Imaging is being decimated by the Congress.....PET (one of the great new technologies!!!!)is suffering from implementation issues because of the reimbursement and the high capital expenditure.....all while the 'boomers' are entering the scene as prime medical consumers.

It a conundrum....and it will work out over the next few years and we will see the rise in demand.

It is very important for us all to become politically active and lobby for our industry.....the Diagnostic Imaging Community does not have a strong political voice which makes us an easy target for budget cuts by the congress.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rob

77 months ago

Nuc jobs in Wisconsin are nearly non-existant, which is fairly frustrating seeing I just graduated last August with a degree. The market here is over saturated with Techs and the 2 schools that produce them just keep pumping them out every year. So if you live in Wisconsin, don't go to school for it unless you plan on moving out of state!!!!!
Is bad everywhere...just graduated...did well....passed boards with distinction and not a job anywhere..have sent out more than 100 resumes...lookin at macdonalds right now.....and i have a bachelors degree in it...yeah....not too promising right now..would suggest a different path for anyone wanting to enter the field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rob

77 months ago

needless to say if i had to do it over again...probably wouldnt..job market is non existant and if you see jobs posted online...there are traditionally fifty people applying for the same job....its saturated out there..and employers will not give a new graduate a chance....chances are slim and none of finding a job in the central states right now......and more students are being pumped out at an alarming rate...I thought getting my Bachelor's degree in it would help...but its not helping at all..so if your thinking about going into this field...think again...go to pa school or some other field where you might possibly find a job

geoff in Boca Raton, Florida

77 months ago

My daughter is considering a $25,000 year long course of studies in South Florida leading to a certification as a nuclear medicine technologist. All of the information I have uncovered in extensive research indicate that this professional job market is saturated and will remain so for the indefinate future. Me fear is that she will be stuck with useless certification in as she will not find jobs anywhere in the USA and will have nothing to show for that year's work except more debt. Please help us with this decision. What are the prospects for a new graduate with a bachelor's degree in science?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lila in Yonkers, New York

77 months ago

geoff in Boca Raton, Florida said: My daughter is considering a $25,000 year long course of studies in South Florida leading to a certification as a nuclear medicine technologist. All of the information I have uncovered in extensive research indicate that this professional job market is saturated and will remain so for the indefinate future. Me fear is that she will be stuck with useless certification in as she will not find jobs anywhere in the USA and will have nothing to show for that year's work except more debt. Please help us with this decision. What are the prospects for a new graduate with a bachelor's degree in science?

Sorry to say...prospects are very poor for new graduates. The field was booming just 8 years ago. graduates were getting 2 and 3 job offers 2 months before graduating. Over the last three years jobs have dried up, and techs are not leaving the jobs they have. There have also been alot of layoffs and hospitals are paying less and expecting more. Things may change but it will take awhile. I would advise your daughter to go into radiology and from there CT, mamography or MRI. There are many jobs available in the health field. Nursing jobs are also excellent. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

I would strongly advise against it. I have been in the field for over 20 years and I wish I had chosen a field with more jobs options such as nursing.
I have extensive experience in many aspects of Nuclear Medicine but have a very difficult time finding any type of position these days.
I am very fortunate in that I am married and that we do not need to rely on my income.
Please advise her to do something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Madison, Wisconsin

74 months ago

Sandy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I would strongly advise against it. I have been in the field for over 20 years and I wish I had chosen a field with more jobs options such as nursing.
I have extensive experience in many aspects of Nuclear Medicine but have a very difficult time finding any type of position these days.
I am very fortunate in that I am married and that we do not need to rely on my income.
Please advise her to do something else.

I'm confused... There are 45 new jobs on this site alone today. 6or so in Wisconsin. I've been a tech for 13 years. My salary has doubled from the start and now I'm the lead. It will turn around folks. Cross train into CT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Boca Raton, Florida

74 months ago

Not everyone is able to relocate to these 45 jobs posted that are spread out all over the country. I think the problem lies in finding a job in the area that one is confined to for various reasons, such as having family, children and husbands/wives that cannot pick up quit their jobs to relocate to a different city/state for an entry level position. You may happen to be one of the lucky ones but I know from experience that jobs are difficult to come by these days...unless you can and are willing to pick up and relocate to a new city or state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wendy in Polk, Ohio

74 months ago

There is a job cycle in all careers. I agree that things have slowed down considerably in the last year. I graduated 21 years ago and I've changed jobs 4 times in my career. (I have no regrets) Nuc techs seem to have more options to advance or crosstrain than other modalities in radiology and it seems to be a more respected and rewarding career. Good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

NMT in Charlotte, North Carolina

74 months ago

Tim in Madison, Wisconsin said: I'm confused... There are 45 new jobs on this site alone today. 6or so in Wisconsin. I've been a tech for 13 years. My salary has doubled from the start and now I'm the lead. It will turn around folks. Cross train into CT.

When you say that there are 45 new jobs, you need to read beyond this 45 number. You will see that most of those jobs are just repeats over and over and most are just PRN jobs or PRN PT. You will be lucky to get a PT job in NM these days. This web site just recycles job openings from several months ago, I know for sure for few of those advertisements that have been filled 2 months ago, still this web site advertises them every week as new postings. So to say that there are 45 new jobs all over the state is very irresponsible unless you read all of them and really there are 45 new postings. Also consider this, there are over 1100 new NMT graduates every year, and now is the time when they are graduating. You can do the math, how many candidates per opening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Cranberry Twp, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

NMT in Charlotte, North Carolina said: When you say that there are 45 new jobs, you need to read beyond this 45 number. You will see that most of those jobs are just repeats over and over and most are just PRN jobs or PRN PT. You will be lucky to get a PT job in NM these days. This web site just recycles job openings from several months ago, I know for sure for few of those advertisements that have been filled 2 months ago, still this web site advertises them every week as new postings. So to say that there are 45 new jobs all over the state is very irresponsible unless you read all of them and really there are 45 new postings. Also consider this, there are over 1100 new NMT graduates every year, and now is the time when they are graduating. You can do the math, how many candidates per opening.

You are absolutely correct

Debbie in Boca Raton, Florida

74 months ago

Finally, someone else who sees the real picture! You are absolutely correct in your observations regarding the "45 jobs"

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

74 months ago

Brenda in West Bend, Wisconsin said: Nuc jobs in Wisconsin are nearly non-existant, which is fairly frustrating seeing I just graduated last August with a degree. The market here is over saturated with Techs and the 2 schools that produce them just keep pumping them out every year. So if you live in Wisconsin, don't go to school for it unless you plan on moving out of state!!!!!

Don't plan on moving out of state. I live in Texas close to the Texas Medical center and there are NO jobs here. Yet the school is still graduating hopeful students. I graduated in 2001 and have PET experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dianna R in Texas

74 months ago

Holly in Kingwood, Texas said: Don't plan on moving out of state. I live in Texas close to the Texas Medical center and there are NO jobs here. Yet the school is still graduating hopeful students. I graduated in 2001 and have PET experience.

What do you do? I am going back to school and trying to find people in Texas with any input. I live very close to you. Nice to see more TEXANS with input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

74 months ago

Dianna R in Texas said: What do you do? I am going back to school and trying to find people in Texas with any input. I live very close to you. Nice to see more TEXANS with input.

Email me Diana @ hollyann48@hotmail.com.

Dianna R in Texas

74 months ago

Holly in Kingwood, Texas said: Email me Diana @ hollyann48@hotmail.com.

Finally someone wants to talk from Texas.
my email is d.randall88@yahoo.com Hope to hear from you Holly in Kingwood, Tx

Dianna R in Texas

74 months ago

I sound so "redneck". Sorry people, I am what I am.....

Craig in Scottsdale, Arizona

70 months ago

geoff in Boca Raton, Florida said: My daughter is considering a $25,000 year long course of studies in South Florida leading to a certification as a nuclear medicine technologist. All of the information I have uncovered in extensive research indicate that this professional job market is saturated and will remain so for the indefinate future. Me fear is that she will be stuck with useless certification in as she will not find jobs anywhere in the USA and will have nothing to show for that year's work except more debt. Please help us with this decision. What are the prospects for a new graduate with a bachelor's degree in science?

try Ultrasound

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

70 months ago

Yep, US or nursing would be a better way to go. Nursing would be the best choise though.

70 months ago

We, the NMT's in job search are not alone. Here is a post on a forum for x-ray techs: "I just finished basic X-ray at UMC. Just took the state board, and recieved my license. So, you think I would be happy. Not at all. I got one offer, starting at $10 an hour, and they said well we will cross train you into MA, and re-evaluate you in 6 months, and then you might be eligle for another 1-2 dollar raise. OK, $10 an hour, after taxes, buys groceries and gas these days, even $11 or $12 an hour. How am I supposed to survive on that? What about overhead (rent and utilities?) When I went into school, they told me how much I would start out with, $15-18 an hour start. Even that is hard to survive on, but with a room mate possible. I just feel I was mis-led. And even if I were to take the $10 an hour,no-one is hiring!!!That was a one time spot opening up, that the lady decided to stay, it was going to be her replacement. We have about another hundred new basic x-ray techs that just graduated also, and everyone is waiting in line. I have seen one or 2 ads tops, for an RT, then it says, no Basic please!!! do not apply. So, I am now selling cars! Just beware anyone considering it, especially basic or limited scope x-ray....CNA's make more...telemarketers, even waitresses."

After I read that, I know exactly where we will be in one more year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

The pay is already dropping for NMT's. I make $2.00 an hour less than when I was FT. A PRN job should pay more, but in this market it just doesn't. It's very stressful for me, I see them cutting back on my hours any day now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: The pay is already dropping for NMT's. I make $2.00 an hour less than when I was FT. A PRN job should pay more, but in this market it just doesn't. It's very stressful for me, I see them cutting back on my hours any day now.

One would think that PRN's should be paid better. And I agree with that thought, but these days the employers' pick for PRN NMT's is unlimited, so what does the greedy employer do - eats out of the PRN's salary. The bottom line is - the market theory works - higher demand = higher salary; lower demand=lower salary. I can surely predict that 1 year from now the new grads NMT's if offered any jobs, they would be in the $15.00/hr range. There are some doctor offices right now that actually pay experienced NMT's with 1 year hospital experience only $16/hr, and I know that for a fact...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Dover, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

It's absolutely impossible to find a full time Nuc Med job in Central PA. It's completely saturated and as stated before, the schools, in this location, are pumping students out like there's no tomorrow. I completed a B.S. degree in Nuc Med in 2007, worked as PRN for a year with no luck in finding a full time job. I've also been looking in to the radiopharmaceutical sales sector with again, no luck. My advice, research another healthcare field because finding a Nuc Med job is frustrating and seemingly impossible, at least in PA.

merci in Palm City, Florida

60 months ago

Is not only in PA is nationwide I think. I'm from florida and it is impossible to find a job period. It is 100 people after one position, Please if you are thinking going into N.M. please thinker over, research the field. Without having any experience the situation is even worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Molyb Denum

60 months ago

Pay is dropping - it's a reality!! If not already seen, low-paying PRN positions for desperate workers, experienced workers in the field fired in order to hire cheaper graduates (on a prn base). As long as students THINK and HEAR that it's a easy 1-2 yr program where you make good money and "plenty of jobs" out there, they'll keep applying to the schools, until reality hits them. Techs. have got to BE PROACTIVE. Docs, investors, hospitals, the gov. purposely manipulate the market to their advantage in order to correct the market to THEIR advantage. It's time that TECHS stand up and do the same. Nurses in the past have known this, that's why they have experience in dealing with it (but unlike nurses, TECHS aren't as powerful in term of numbers). I find that TECHS are "smart" people, but they lack the ECONOMIC/POLITICAL savvy. (because techs been spoiled by the comfortable pay--however soon to be nomore). By the way, has anyone noticed SNMTS Pres. title of MBA before CNMT (sorry don't want to make it sound like a personal attack), but does this guy work for YOU as a TECH or does he work for "corporate"?

Saly in Dublin, Ireland

60 months ago

Got one more think to add to the last post... there are NMT's out there that like to suck up to their bosses and there lots and lots of them out there, how do you expect them to stand up and show some spine??? No they will not, they will tuck their tail between their legs and will do what their boss wants them to do... they are spineless, geli-fish that care for no one, but themselves... and that is another reason why things are the way they are...

Amy in OKC in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

60 months ago

What about overseas jobs? Does anybody know if there are better opportunities in say...Australia or Western Europe? Would something like a "working holiday" be an option for someone like me--new graduate with zero actual nuc med experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Maynooth, Ireland

60 months ago

Don't know about abroad job market for NMT's, but some time ago here was a topic, a girl from Australia was looking for a job in the USA and she said their market is very, very saturation with NMT's and the salaries are falling down drasticaly. I think this was about a year ago. I doubd thigs have gotten better there for just a year.

Amy in OKC in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

60 months ago

That's a shame. Before I began this program, I was told by several people that there were always enough jobs for graduating students. Until this year, that seems to have been the case here. Thanks for the reply Saly.

Saly in Cork, Ireland

60 months ago

Amy, sad to say, but whomever told you that, simply lied to you... sad, but true.

Molyb Denum

60 months ago

Amy, I'm sorry you never heard the old saying "Don't believe everything you hear". Hopefully by posting here, I (we all) can make aware to others who are thinking about getting into this field, to really look at the reality versus what they hear (from schools, recruiters, --the ill informed media that clump up ALL MEDICAL fields and say "there's a need in the medical field" instead of focusing specifically on particular ones..as if we were a monolithic bunch).

For those contemplating nuclear med tech(or for that matter any medical particular field), you'll get your answer by looking DIRECTLY at hospital postings, I REPEAT DIRECTLY. Postings such as here may be REPOSTs of posts, reposts, old posts not removed...which may seem like "wow quite a bit of openings" (but quite contrary in actuality). I mentioned looking directly, because this way you'll really know where the DEMAND really is (ie. nursing job posting vs. nuclear med vs. respiratory therp..vs...etc...). Also, keep in mind the versatility of a certain job position which is SOOO important if you want to be mobile (or because your spouse may have to be).

I've mentioned this before as well, that you may hear "there's openings", but check it out...most probably for PRN position (which you may end up working 1 day a week, or 1 day in 2 weeks, or 1 day in a month???). This CHRONIC UNDEREMPLOYMENT has been such a big issue.. which employers have been able to take advantage of and techs have had to take the brunt of (unless you're just fine working with possibly working 1 or 2 day a month...meaning you probably aren't depending on as a livelihood).
So again, check out 1) available open positions 2) type of hours wanted

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Molyb Denum

60 months ago

Also for those contemplating nuclear med (or any or medical field) to look at how much upward mobility/growth/direction you can branch out to. For example, with nursing, you can do public health, hospital floor (and even within, there's different depart./specialty), practitioner, admin., anesthet. homehealth, etc.....In nuclear med. hmmmmm let's see, opportunity for growth is quite limited.PET/CT possibly? Supervisor? Sales? And even with PET/CT in some places is impossible unless you have an XRay Tech license.

merci in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

60 months ago

This is so true!!! I recently saw a job posting for The Great Clevenland Clinic here in south Florida and in the job posting they are already telling you how much they will pay and is a miserable $15 a hour job, is not even worth the radiation expousure, this is turning ridiculus. Please, Keiser University stop sending 20 studend out every 14 months. Is not Jobs available in South Florida period!!

wp in Hemet, California

60 months ago

I would suggest going into nursing. You'll have more outward mobility. You really need to be dual licensed in order to do PET/CT I stayed in nuclear for 28 years and can think of only two jobs that were decent. No one likes being on call (nurses for the most part are not). It's just a job that doesn't reward age. If I had to do it all over again I would select something else. I went into real estate after nuclear. I wish I would have left sooner. Don't waste your money.

Liz in Avon Lake, Ohio

60 months ago

Tim in Madison, Wisconsin said: I'm confused... There are 45 new jobs on this site alone today. 6or so in Wisconsin. I've been a tech for 13 years. My salary has doubled from the start and now I'm the lead. It will turn around folks. Cross train into CT.

I was just wondering where can i go to get crossed trained in CT? When i talked to my teachers at college they say i cant get crossed trained in CT and i really need to do something. I graduated 14 months ago and still cant find a job! Thanks

Liz in Avon Lake, Ohio

60 months ago

merci in Palm City, Florida said: Is not only in PA is nationwide I think. I'm from florida and it is impossible to find a job period. It is 100 people after one position, Please if you are thinking going into N.M. please thinker over, research the field. Without having any experience the situation is even worse.

There are no jobs in ohio either and if there are they want 2-5 years experience. I graduated from the university of findlay 14 months ago and i still cant find a job and findlay just keeps pumping students out like crazy and then doing nothing to help them find a job. Im upset that i was told the job outlook was great and then after my time and money is spent i cant find anything.Having no experience makes it so much harder too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

NothingHere in San Diego, California

60 months ago

It sucks here in CA too. There's nothing out here.

Tamee in Pompano Beach, Florida

59 months ago

Craig in Scottsdale, Arizona said: try Ultrasound

Nothing at all in So. FL for NM techs.

cnmt0101 in Sammamish, Washington

59 months ago

Does anyone now how the job market is in WA for nuc med techs? Thanks

mdemirer in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

59 months ago

merci in Palm City, Florida said: Is not only in PA is nationwide I think. I'm from florida and it is impossible to find a job period. It is 100 people after one position, Please if you are thinking going into N.M. please thinker over, research the field. Without having any experience the situation is even worse.

I have 17yrs experience 7yrs FT/10yrs traveler and now no NUC job nationwide or worldwide FT or traveling.

Zac Cockroft in Burnet, Texas

59 months ago

Welcome to the real world folks. I have been with my current employer now for 5 months and it is going ok. I do all Cardiac, but at least it is something. Out of my class of 17, there was only one person that landed a full time job, two got PRN and I got this one which is part time; here in a couple of years I will probably branch out and hopefully find full time employment. 15 more students just graduated last July from Amarillo College. Sad.

Andrew in El Paso, Texas

58 months ago

Hey Zack! I graduated out of your class and was lucky enough to get a job after we graduated. But I also was an RT(R)(CT). But to be honest, it was more about who I knew and the opportunity presenting itself at the perfect time. We are hoping that things will grow a little down here, but we are super saturated here as well. I have a student that just graduated that we are trying to find room for as well.

Zac Cockroft in Burnet, Texas

58 months ago

Hey Andrew, I remember you. Ya I work for Texas Cardiovascualr Consultants here in Austin and its going ok. I usually work three days and then cover other offices the rest of the week. With all the Medical Facilities being built around Austin in the coming years it will be ample opportuntites for me to branch out if I decide to do so. True, it's all in who u know but having a CT registry also helps.

LORI Gonzalez in Miami, Florida

55 months ago

tell her to study something else especially in florida schools put out 100s of students every 6 months there are no jobs and for those of us in the field we fear for ours everyday!!!

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.