CT Tech with ?s regarding PET Certification

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Josh in Anaheim, California

47 months ago

Hello everyone,

First, thank you in advance for any info related to this subject. I'm a CT Tech ARRT(R)(CT) CRT in the State of California. I have researched all the requirements for obtaining a PET certification through the NMTCB. My question is if I did pass the PET Certification exam after fulfilling all the requirements, would I be able to actually handle the radioisotope? I realize that I would be able to operate the PET/CT scanner with the PET Cert. Since I'm not a Nuc Med Technologist, I think that I wouldn't be able to handle the actual radioisotope. I pose the question because that would mean that I couldn't work independtly on a PET/CT trailer or in an Imaging Dept. Am I correct with this assumption? Thanks again for any info you can give me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NucMed Guy in Tacoma, Washington

47 months ago

Hey Josh,

You have to log a certain amount of hours for PET/CT and have direct RPharm training and radiation saftey training to qualify for the PET/CT exam. On top of that you would have to log 3 months of PET/CT exams. In washington state a Nuc Med tech needs to either have his ARRT(R) or ARRT (CT) or the PETCT registery to legaly operate the eqipment alone. Though this is not clearly defined in our state it will all come down to reimberusment from private insurance/Medicaide and Medicare. I forsee it being a requirement within the next couple of years.

The fact: it is way cheaper to train a nuc med tech to do CT. However it's very diffuclt to provide a CT tech with the proper training vs. liablity to handle high energy isotopes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.