Current NMT Students

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 81)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

T in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

69 months ago

I wouldnt put so much blame on the Program Directors. We dont really get to talk to the PD's before the application/accepted process. Most of us were interested in the field for what it was not knowing that there are few jobs available. Now if students thinking about going into the programs stumbled across a forum like this they would most certainly have put more thought into their decision, i know i would have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

T in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I wouldnt put so much blame on the Program Directors. We dont really get to talk to the PD's before the application/accepted process. Most of us were interested in the field for what it was not knowing that there are few jobs available. Now if students thinking about going into the programs stumbled across a forum like this they would most certainly have put more thought into their decision, i know i would have.

Where I attended school more than 10 years ago you were required to meet with the program dirctor before you could be admitted. Let me clue you in he does lie, as a matter of fact one potential student copied and pasted one of his emails to these very forums. He made the comment that those posting here were over reacting that there were in fact jobs out there! If nothing else these forums saved one young man, he decided to stick with IT...wise choice I think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zac Cockroft in Burnet, Texas

68 months ago

well I will comment on some things speaking from my own experience about the Nuclear Medicine Field. It is getting oversaturated, and way too many students are getting pumped into the market and no jobs to fill them. There were 17 students in my class and I believe only one has found full time employment. I was lead to believe there were jobs out there but through my countless interviews, you must have experience under your belt to land the job and be willing to relocate. If u land a full time job right out of school, you are very lucky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

J R Wagoneer in San Diego, California

68 months ago

Anyone getting into Nuclear Medicine right now is wasting alot of their time and money.

I graduated 4 years ago with an associates and found a job. Since then, there have been 3 graduating classes, each with about 20ppl in them, and only 2 people have found jobs according to my friend who is the dean at this school.

I love my job... but I would never recommend this career for anyone with a family or someone who is banking on getting a job right out of college anymore.

Vicky in West Chicago, Illinois

68 months ago

Stitch in Des Moines, Iowa said: Does anyone know what the general morale is among students currently enrolled in NMT programs? What are thier expectations upon graduation? I personally think very few will ever find full time positions as NMT's. Do these students have any idea what the job market is like for experienced NMT's, let alone new grads with no experience? What do these recruiters and Program Directors tell the students to get them to enroll? Are the students being lied to? What can any of us do about this situation? It's so unfair to the students for these "colleges" to take thier money like they do, knowing full well they will have essentially no chance of getting a job as an NMT after graduation. If these Program Directors told thier students the whole truth, there would soon be no new students, and no NMT program. These NMT Program Directors would then be out of work and forced to go out and find one of these non-existent NMT jobs for themselves.

Please go to admaccess.com We have a lot of openings for NMT, MRI and PET CT Techs. Some areas are CA IL IN KY NY NV NC PA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Vicky in West Chicago, Illinois said: Please go to admaccess.com We have a lot of openings for NMT, MRI and PET CT Techs. Some areas are CA IL IN KY NY NV NC PA

Looks like they are mostly PT or PRN...

68 months ago

Some of them are PRN and PT altough there are FT. Web site is currently being updated with a few more Tech needs. We are always growing and in need of Techs MRI NMT PET CT Please check back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

J R Wagoneer in San Diego, California said: Anyone getting into Nuclear Medicine right now is wasting alot of their time and money.

I graduated 4 years ago with an associates and found a job. Since then, there have been 3 graduating classes, each with about 20ppl in them, and only 2 people have found jobs according to my friend who is the dean at this school.

I love my job... but I would never recommend this career for anyone with a family or someone who is banking on getting a job right out of college anymore.

If you know of anyone looking for work please check out admaccess.com there are several postitons avail and avail. in many states. We are always adding accounts and staff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

68 months ago

Vicky thank you for the information. I think it was a while ago that someone else from your company had a similar post here, and I've been checking you web site every couple of weeks, but you really do not have much there besides PRN for NMT's. Right now there is only one FT position. It is hard not to say almost impossible to live off of PRN or PT job.

68 months ago

I Can understand. Some of the PRNS and Part time are close to FT hours. We are consitanly adding new sites which adds to our employee base. Please keep checking back. It is a really good company to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Yes, Vicky, I am and will continue checking your web site. Thank you so much for posting here. It is highly appreciated ;) This is important for other techs close in the area where those PRN/PT jobs are. It would be hard for someone to take the chance to relocate without guaranteed certain hours, but for others that do not have to relocate is ideal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

DJ81 in Charleston, West Virginia

68 months ago

If some of you spent as much time job hunting as you do writing bitter posts, maybe you would be employed! There is the same 5-10 of you posting. Get offline and start knocking down doors, lazies!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

DJ81 in Charleston, West Virginia said: If some of you spent as much time job hunting as you do writing bitter posts, maybe you would be employed! There is the same 5-10 of you posting. Get offline and start knocking down doors, lazies!

I have a job. If you knew how to read you would know that. The posts are NOT bitter they tell the truth so that others may make an informed decsion before entering an NMT program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

DJ81 in Charleston, West Virginia said: If some of you spent as much time job hunting as you do writing bitter posts, maybe you would be employed! There is the same 5-10 of you posting. Get offline and start knocking down doors, lazies!

Wow, you are surely getting bitter, disrespectful and rude here, the least said? We can say what we see, rather than being rude and arrogant. If we were "lazies" do you think we would care to even post on this blog? FYI, I do have a job as well, if you cared to read, rather than post arrogantly here, as Marie noted, you would know that. BTW, the job market for NMTs in Charleston, WV is one of the worst in the USA... Good luck finding a job. I will pray for you to learn to be nice, and since you are here on this blog, you are on the job market as well, aren’t you? I hope I never meet you and I will pray for your patients and co-workers cause they have to be served by you and work with you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

I'm glad I didn't go through with it.. also, from my understanding, a lot of the students that were going to go into the program didn't follow through with it. Some called me for advice and such. Thinning out the herd seems to be the fair way of getting this field back to where it was. IT industry is also feeling the pain of the recession with several hundred thousand layoffs. I hear everyone mentioning nursing and it seems to be the only safe bet nowadays.

DJ81 in Charleston, West Virginia

68 months ago

Nursing programs are hard work, and the job is even harder. It can be stressful beyond belief and the respect is nonexistent. If I could be a nurse, it would be a great job. I just don't want to work that hard to learn how to make beds and wipe peoples behinds...generally be MD's handmaiden. But, if you can tolerate it -- go for it! All I'm saying...there's a nursing shortage for a reason!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

john in Houston, while there are more openings in the nursing field, it is not all secure. I know couple of nurses recently got laid off, cause the dr's offices were not seeing as many patients they used to. Even this one job that so many claim to be safe is not recession proof. Yet, there are more options for it, and way more openings advertised compared to any radiology tech modality. Nursing could be very pleasant and joyful career for someone that is a people person. If you are both a people person, and you enjoy technology, then radiology modalities is the way to go. But pick a modality that is currently not shrinking like nuc med. Ultrasound/vascular especially is currently on the rise. Pick a program that is accredited by CAAHEP. If not, you might find it hard to land internship in a reputable and student friendly clinical site. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monique in Yonkers, New York

68 months ago

I can tell you would be the type of person that would shove your patient onto a table, talk about them as they lay there helpless, snap at them if they move a fraction of an inch and generally be rude, obnoxious, and nasty. You don't need a nuclear medicine job. I'd suggest you go work for the DMV but that job is too nice and respectable for you. Get a night job shoving papers where you don't have to deal with people. That's where you belong instead of on this forum insulting people.

chris in Mifflintown, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

Im currently a student i have a summer semester left. I thought there were job openings when i first started...now there are few to none in PA where i live. Im not as worried as many people because i am willing to move anywhere, unline 95% of my class who only want to work in the Central PA area because they have families. There are a few jobs posted here and there, its just a matter of wether u can move or not

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Sorry but it's not a matter of whether you can move or not. There are NO jobs in any of the states. Any hope of finding a job is going to be where you live with connections...I have more than 10 years of experience and was more than willing to move when I first got laid off. I found the job I have now through someone I know...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Chris I would suggest you hear what Marie Dunn said very well... I am wishing you best of luck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Farmgirl in Manchester, Iowa

67 months ago

Stitch in Des Mones,
Are you referring to a NMT program in Des Moines? I interviewed there a month ago and am wondering if this program is worth the expense and effort. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Farmgirl in Manchester, Iowa said: Stitch in Des Mones,
Are you referring to a NMT program in Des Moines? I interviewed there a month ago and am wondering if this program is worth the expense and effort. Thanks!

Farmgirl do you really think it matters what program you go to?...There are NO jobs. So go where you like....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Thanks Stitch!

67 months ago

Stitch in Urbandale, Iowa said:
Sorry to sound paranoid but I'd rather not say which specific program I attended. As part of a settlement with the college I attended, I signed an agreement that I would not say anything disparaging about that particular school...

Stitch in Urbandale did you end up suing your school/program? What settlement are you talking about?

67 months ago

Stitch in Urbandale hats off to you ;) You've done what most should do... I wish you could share that publicly, like write a book or something like it. I was not lied to when I went to school and had great experience with all the techs at my clinical rotations, except one, that did lie. I had wonderful program director and he stood up for of his students. But I do believe every word you say, cause I've heard that from others. I do work at a place that has exactly the same awful moral as you are talking about, starting with the employees and finishing with the administrators... It is so unfortunate that things like this can exist in today's world, and it is getting worse with the current economy status. People are getting bolder and bolder in their rude and unlawful behavior... it is very unfortunate to see this happening in the healthcare setting...

67 months ago

Stitch I've been in healthcare for several years now, and got to tell you that most folks in healthcare are not honest. We all make mistakes, and healthcare workers make mistakes, but their mistakes cost someone's life or health... I've seen where things get covered up and everyone acts like nothing has happened, and if you dare to say anything you will be booed out and caste out and it will cost your job, your reputation and ultimately your career. It is sad to say, but for folks with mind-set to the truth there are hardly any places where they can survive... Did you sue the school for misleading you, or for something else?

67 months ago

Stitch, May I ask, are you still working in a healthcare related field?

67 months ago

I do have to say the director of the school I went to is now saying nuclear medicine is in a deep valley and who knows when it will recover....All I can say to that is if students still insist on going through the program, they get what they deserve!!

67 months ago

Stitch, I'm taking in what you say. A book you may want to read is:How Can I Forgive You? by Janis Spring There's a review on Amazon. You have gone through a lot, and when the offending party has no remorse, it's especially hard to "forgive". Thanks!

67 months ago

Stitch in Urbandale, Iowa said: I always considered anything health-care related to be among the most noble of career choices. I still believe that... I still believe that many of those types of people gravitate toward the medical community because they have such a passion to serve sick people. There certainly are still many, many such people within the medical community, but I also know from personal experience that there are many, many, many people within the medical community who are outright criminals, profoundly dishonest, and lacking any moral character whatsoever. Sadly, for the most part, these are the people who are currently the decision-makers within the medical community. In my own situation, I saw and experienced so many illegal and unethical things

Wowwwww Stitch I need to say it again with big H "HATS off to you"... I've experienced exactly the same as you have, and wonder how long can this ruthless behavior continue in the healthcare, where mistakes are covered up, and instead of carrying for the sick and helpless, management/administrators care only for themselves and their own pockets???

Stitch in Des Moines, Iowa

67 months ago

The big winners in all this are 1.The schools who take in the tuition and fees from the students, and 2.The hospitals and clinical sites who are supplied with a constant stream of students to provide them with free labor. Actually not free, the STUDENTS are PAYING a small fortune to the school for the opportunity to provide these hospitals and clinics with free labor (done under the false pretense of "training" the students). These hospitals certainly don't have to hire and pay a licensed NMT when they are provided with this unlimited free labor from the schools, in fact it becomes more possible for them to lay off thier NMT's and CUT thier staff. That's one reason the staff NMT's resent the students so much. They know that this huge oversupply of new students and new techs is destroying thier own livelyhood and destroying the profession. Again, I can tell you I've certainly seen several of them lie and fabricate incidents about students and be abusive to students who were not thier own personal friends. If you go into this thinking that the techs at your clinical rotation sites will be eager to teach you and train you and see you succeed, I can tell you I experienced just the opposite. These schools will not close because there is so much money to be made and its extremely profitable for the hospitals for the reasons I just mentioned.

jane in Gardnerville, Nevada

67 months ago

Stitch in Des Moines, Iowa said: (continued) Of course the big losers in this are 1. The NMTs who can only helplessly watch thier profession and livelyhood collapse. 2. The students, who find out when they graduate that they've been conned. There will be no job for them and no career as an NMT, only a mountain of debt and student loans that don't go away even if they declare bankruptcy. FarmGirl, I'm honestly sharing this only I've been there, and because I want you to be able to make an informed decision. If I had known before I did my NMT program what I know now, I wouldn't be in the mess that I'm in and if I can keep someone else from getting hurt then maybe some good came out of all this.

Yea I totally agree with you. As a recent graduate of Nuc Med I have seen and been through the same thing. I have seen NMT purposely and not purposely make mistakes and blamed students from their mistakes. Very upsetting cause when you go into your internship you think you will be around people who are willing and excited to teach you all about the trade. At my internship there were a numerous amount of techs and maybe two of the fourteen were actually happy and willing to teach us the others acted like we where more in the way. It really is such a shame!

emac877 in Medford, Oregon

66 months ago

I graduated from a program in Oregon and after being treated rudely as a student and found the market here is dead. I wouldn't recomend my program at all. It's who you know and inside connections to get a job here. I worked in AZ for a few years and found the market there was pretty saturated too. I'm disillusioned with Nuc Med in general. The promises I was made as a student of job security and income were hugely padded by a greedy small school with a corner on the northwest market. I'm leaving the profession and going into nursing for more career direction and flexibility. Who knows...is anyone doing well in this economy?

abongiorno in Broward, Florida

66 months ago

I really don't understand where people are getting there information from. Maybe it has to do with where you live, but i am currently a student in college and i am always getting these emails from hospitals in the area willing to pay for a student’s full tuition and fees if they are becoming a NMT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

abongiorno in Broward, Florida

66 months ago

....I forgot to add that the student must work for them all they are done with school so they would have a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

abongiorno in Broward, Florida said: ....I forgot to add that the student must work for them all they are done with school so they would have a job.

Why do people get on here and lie? It really helps no one...

abongiorno in Florida

66 months ago

Are you serious? You think i am lying? Thats pretty funny. Why would i sit here ans say something that isn't true? I myself am thinking about doing NWT or Nursing and your telling me that i want to lie to people, thats pretty funny well here you go!!

America
Scholarship Coordinator:
Aventura Hospital and Medical Center
Cedars Medical Center
Kendall Regional Medical Center
Northwest Medical Center
Plantation General Hospital
University Hospital & Medical Center
Westside Regional Medical Center
Programs sponsored: *****Nuclear Medicine******, Nursing and Respiratory Care

The above hospitals all participate in a scholarship program with M***** College. If you are selected to receive a
scholarship, the sponsor will offer a monetary award up to $6,000 for tuition, fees, and book expenses at M*****
College.Once graduated, scholarship recipients work for a two-year employment commitment at one of the sponsoring
hospitals.You must be formally accepted and registered into the first term of your specified major prior to
applying to the Hospital Scholarship.

bishoujo22 in Gardnerville, Nevada

66 months ago

abongiorno in Florida said: Are you serious? You think i am lying? Thats pretty funny. Why would i sit here ans say something that isn't true? I myself am thinking about doing NWT or Nursing and your telling me that i want to lie to people, thats pretty funny well here you go!!

America
Scholarship Coordinator:
Cedars Medical Center
Northwest Medical Center

The above hospitals all participate in a scholarship program with M***** College. If you are selected to receive a
scholarship, the sponsor will offer a monetary award up to $6,000 for tuition, fees, and book expenses at M*****
College.Once graduated, scholarship recipients work for a two-year employment commitment at one of the sponsoring
hospitals.You must be formally accepted and registered into the first term of your specified major prior to

I dont believe that anyone is calling you a liar, however I think you are being mislead. I am a new graduate, 2008, NMT from south Florida where all these hospitals are located. They may still be providing information that they are willing to cover expenses but if I were you I would double check this information with HR at the facilities because many of them are not. All of these hospitals do provide a place to do your internship but that does not mean that you are going to get hired or that they will pay for you school anymore...
I know for a fact 110% Cedars is not hiring they actually had to lay off a few techs do to slow business and the rest of the tech there have to flex out early to save $ and their jobs...
And as far as Westside (I have family there) they do NOT cover expenses for NMT schooling and are not even hiring and usually do

bishoujo22 in South Lake Tahoe, California

66 months ago

abongiorno in Florida said: Are you serious? You think i am lying? Thats pretty funny. Why would i sit here ans say something that isn't true? I myself am thinking about doing NWT or Nursing and your telling me that i want to lie to people, thats pretty funny well here you go!!

America
Scholarship Coordinator:
Cedars Medical Center
Northwest Medical Center

not take students for internships, now I heard they might be starting to work with allied medical schooling but that isnt 100% yet....

University and Plantation does offer internships however they do not pay for your school and do not always hire from within. I know some students that just recently graduated that did their interships at University. University is hiring 1 part-time tech but they aren't even hiring the new graduates that interned there, they are looking from the outside and looking for people with more experience.

Notbody wants to call you a liar but just because you read or heard soemthing does not mean its true. I know all of this for a fact and we just want people to be informed and make educated decision and not be mislead as many new NMT's were.

66 months ago

But for nursing many of these facilites do cover tuition still..I have three graduates from my class that are going back to school for nursing do to the fact they can not get a job....

abongiorno in Florida

66 months ago

I guess so. This whole thing is just very frustrating because I hear so many different things from everyone, but I guess I figure it out myself somehow.

66 months ago

abongiorno in Florida said: I guess so. This whole thing is just very frustrating because I hear so many different things from everyone, but I guess I figure it out myself somehow.

Trust me I know how you are feeling. I didn't do my own research and just believed everything I was told or read. Just be smart and do your own investigating. Check with the Human Resource Departments of the hospitals and ask them if they cover tuition, ect....maybe even try and get a hold of the Director of Nuclear Medicine and ask the same questions (although it is hard to get a hold of anyone to talk to)..sometimes your best bet is to show up in person...Like I said I am from south florida graduated in Sept '08 had to move over to california to get a good job...now thats not always the case you maybe one of the lucky ones you never know...just do your homework thats all I can say. and Good Luck!

66 months ago

abongiorno in Florida said: I guess so. This whole thing is just very frustrating because I hear so many different things from everyone, but I guess I figure it out myself somehow.

Also consider the sources of your information. I know it sux to be told a million different things...the schools and programs just about tell you anything you want to hear to get you into the programs so just be careful and smart when making you decision on your career and which school you attend.

abongiorno in Florida

66 months ago

Thank you! I appreciate your advice. Aside from everything else, do you enjoy your job or do you wish you would have done something else?

66 months ago

abongiorno in Florida said: Thank you! I appreciate your advice. Aside from everything else, do you enjoy your job or do you wish you would have done something else?

No problem I know how confusing and crazy it can get out there....And yes I do love my job I wouldnt trade it for the world! I really do enjoy Nuc Med its just a shame I had to move al the way to california for a job but I am sure things will start to get better and hopefully I can come home soon....I am by no means telling you not to go into Nuc Med if that is you desire I say go for it...just know that it is saturated at this time and very competitive but if you are willing to relocate you will have slightly few more options to you but just know that you will need to get a state license ($$) in any state that you work it....Good luck

66 months ago

abongiorno in Florida said: Thank you! I appreciate your advice. Aside from everything else, do you enjoy your job or do you wish you would have done something else?

You can contact me anytime if you have any questions...since we are from the same area I will be able to give you the best advice I can since I have been through it all there...

abongiorno in Florida

66 months ago

Alright, thank you!! :)

sanny bhushan kumar in Manipal, India

66 months ago

every thing is nice....

66 months ago

I do not believe that there are scholarships for NMT's these days. If anyone tells you that they will give you one and then guarantee you job, I would suggest that you do not believe them either. I guess that would be the next “ponzi scheme”...

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.