Dedicated NUC MED tech needs work.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

Everett Lang in Appleton, Wisconsin

47 months ago

I am a dedicated Nuclear Medicine Tech with 16 years of experience in a variety of clinical settings. I am experienced in general, cardiac and PET. I am skilled in the ACR accreditaion process and NRC/State regulatory compliance.

I firmly believe in Winston Churchill's statement "Never, never, NEVER give up!" As of today, I have applied to 231 jobs throughout the US and abroad. It is a matter of time before I find something. If you are in my same shoes, keep your chin up and remain positive! Keep trying! Don't let negativity get you down!

Sincerely,

Everett Lang, BS, CNMT
everettrlang@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jiggish007 in Newark, Delaware

47 months ago

HI
I like you enthusiasm, but if the school keeps graduating over 200 techs each year, how am I ever going to find a position. Since you are experienced I do like to ask if doing CT and MRI will help with finding a job. I am also looking into PACS administrator programs? Let me know what you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jiggish007 in Newark, Delaware

47 months ago

Everett Lang in Appleton, Wisconsin said: I am a dedicated Nuclear Medicine Tech with 16 years of experience in a variety of clinical settings. I am experienced in general, cardiac and PET. I am skilled in the ACR accreditaion process and NRC/State regulatory compliance.

I firmly believe in Winston Churchill's statement "Never, never, NEVER give up!" As of today, I have applied to 231 jobs throughout the US and abroad. It is a matter of time before I find something. If you are in my same shoes, keep your chin up and remain positive! Keep trying! Don't let negativity get you down!

Sincerely,

Everett Lang, BS, CNMT
everettrlang@hotmail.com

HI
I like you enthusiasm, but if the school keeps graduating over 200 techs each year, how am I ever going to find a position. Since you are experienced I do like to ask if doing CT and MRI will help with finding a job. I am also looking into PACS administrator programs? Let me know what you think?

Everett Lang in Green Bay, Wisconsin

45 months ago

jiggish007 in Newark, Delaware said: HI

I have to have a good attitude for my family.

Everett Lang in Green Bay, Wisconsin

45 months ago

jiggish007 in Newark, Delaware said: HI

PS- I have applied to my 280th job now. Again, to all those techs in my predicament....keep a positive attitude!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WheelSpin in Arlington, Washington

45 months ago

I like Churchill just fine, but use practical judgement. Popular platitudes don't put food on the table. There is a line between persistence & stubborn denial. For most, money is finite, & at some point a decision has to be made based on real-world scenario of the probable outcomes. If you have a relatively limitless supply of cash to live on until the market turns around to make probability of securing employment more likely than not & then you DO find something, then go ahead & dig in. That isn't the situation for the majority.

Another problem is that, with the sheer number of new graduates coming on line every yr (has the tide tunred yet?), the longer you remain out of work, the less & less likely your chances will be of securing something compared to those newer grads with more recent clinical experience/training. As it is, even techs with yrs of OTJ are out of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Everett Lang in Appleton, Wisconsin

45 months ago

I applied for my 300th job today.

Again, I encourage everyone to keep trying. Don't give up the ship!

I don't know of anyone who has a limitless supply of cash, but I do know that I am going to dig in. That means taking any kind of job in the meantime.

All I am proposing is: Keep a good attitude!

Everett

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

karkar in Ambridge, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

One of those hundreds of new grads here... I've lost count at how many jobs I've applied for since graduation (at least 3 a day since 08/20/10)...still working part-time at a hardware store...can't afford to go back to school. I wish my college wouldn't have promoted NMT as an "in demand career" with high job placement! Ugh :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Tampa, Florida

45 months ago

Wow I can see the frustration! I graduated from nuc in aug. 09, and applied everywhere and anywhere and still no luck. In the past 17 months I had one interview with the VA about 2 weeks ago. Major competition! I feel your pain. Hey Ambridge Pennsylvania I went to school in Pittsburgh, PA. What school did you go to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Tampa, Florida

45 months ago

karkar in Ambridge, Pennsylvania said: One of those hundreds of new grads here... I've lost count at how many jobs I've applied for since graduation (at least 3 a day since 08/20/10)...still working part-time at a hardware store...can't afford to go back to school. I wish my college wouldn't have promoted NMT as an "in demand career" with high job placement! Ugh :(

Wow I can see the frustration! I graduated from nuc in aug. 09, and applied everywhere and anywhere and still no luck. In the past 17 months I had one interview with the VA about 2 weeks ago. Major competition! I feel your pain. Hey Ambridge Pennsylvania I went to school in Pittsburgh, PA. What school did you go to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

karkar in Ambridge, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

Liz in Tampa, Florida said: Wow I can see the frustration! I graduated from nuc in aug. 09, and applied everywhere and anywhere and still no luck. In the past 17 months I had one interview with the VA about 2 weeks ago. Major competition! I feel your pain. Hey Ambridge Pennsylvania I went to school in Pittsburgh, PA. What school did you go to?

I went to IUP (did u mean college??) then NMI in Findlay! How about u? And how did u get lucky enough to move to Florida without a nuc med job?

ttaylor394 in Morgantown, West Virginia

45 months ago

Hi all,
Same situation out of Wheeling, WV. Wheeling Jesuit Univ. They farm out about 15 students/year. I work at Ruby in Morgantown as a telemetry tech, and nothing has opened up for me here yet. I did have an interview at another local hospital, but the schedule was pretty much the only one I couldn't work.

Its nice to hear Im not the only one in this siuation

Good Luck
tbt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Tampa, Florida

45 months ago

karkar in Ambridge, Pennsylvania said: I went to IUP (did u mean college??) then NMI in Findlay! How about u? And how did u get lucky enough to move to Florida without a nuc med job?

listen to this!!!! my story is unique b/c i had an undergrad degree in business and really wanted to go back to school b/c i was super interested in the medical field and helping people. LOL What the hell was I thinking. I left a full-time govt job with kick ass pay and benefits but hated sitting at a desk doing paper work. SO I decided to go back to school thinking b/c I was willing to move anywhere I would be ok! Right! I am originally from pittsburgh, and moved bac to PA to live with my parents. This was the only way i could afford to go back to school. So I finished school and took the boards and still couldn't find a job anywhere. My friend in fl was like come down here and just find something. So, I found an entry-level job doing mindless work all day long. I work for a radiology center. It is a front desk position and there have been recent graduated students that hand me a resume and I say I am a nuc med tech and work the front desk! Messed up! Biggest mistake of my life going to school for nuc! I figure at least the weather is great down here and i get to see the sunshine!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Tampa, Florida

45 months ago

ttaylor394 in Morgantown, West Virginia said: Hi all,
Same situation out of Wheeling, WV. Wheeling Jesuit Univ. They farm out about 15 students/year. I work at Ruby in Morgantown as a telemetry tech, and nothing has opened up for me here yet. I did have an interview at another local hospital, but the schedule was pretty much the only one I couldn't work.

Good Luck
tbt

When did you graduate? I worked with a Matt Taylor I think at UPMC presby in pittsburgh and he went to wheeling jesuit!!! We had a clinical rotation together.

Mettler in Wheeling, West Virginia

45 months ago

ttaylor394 I'm currently studying nuc med at wheeling jesuit and I'm just now hearing about how bad the job market is for techs. Did you go to jesuit?

jiggish007 in New Castle, Delaware

45 months ago

No, But it doesn't matter where to went to school. Nuclear Medicine Field is dead anyway. So many graduates every year and No jobs makes for a bad career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mettler in Wheeling, West Virginia

45 months ago

ttaylor394 in Morgantown, West Virginia said: Hi all,

Good Luck
tbt

ttaylor394 I'm currently studying nuc med at wheeling jesuit and I'm just now hearing about how bad the job market is for techs. Did you go to jesuit?

AH in Garland, Texas

45 months ago

WheelSpin in Arlington, Washington said: I like Churchill just fine, but use practical judgement. Popular platitudes don't put food on the table. There is a line between persistence & stubborn denial. For most, money is finite, & at some point a decision has to be made based on real-world scenario of the probable outcomes. If you have a relatively limitless supply of cash to live on until the market turns around to make probability of securing employment more likely than not & then you DO find something, then go ahead & dig in. That isn't the situation for the majority.

Another problem is that, with the sheer number of new graduates coming on line every yr (has the tide tunred yet?), the longer you remain out of work, the less & less likely your chances will be of securing something compared to those newer grads with more recent clinical experience/training. As it is, even techs with yrs of OTJ are out of work.

I like Churchill as well but the reality of the situation is there will be fewer job openings for nuc med techs (and all rad techs) than there are graduates now and in the future.

There are 100 more schools now than there were just 8 or 10 years ago. No job market grows that fast.

According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the nuc med field will grow in the coming years BUT there will continue to be more grads than jobs. It will only get worse, not better. Sadly, it looks as though the tide will not turn this time.

Ken in Commerce City, Colorado

42 months ago

I can sympathize with many jobseekers posting here. I have 15 years experience in nuclear medicine, established and successfully operated several imaging centers ranging from nuclear cardiology, specialized brain imaging, and now currently PET/CT for oncology. Also obtained MBA and have insights from an administrative perspective.

Its important to look at the larger picture within the industry, including healthcare reform, declining reimbursements,stark laws, and the prolonged effect of for-profit nuclear medicine schools flooding the job market with a disregard for their own job seeking graduates. Hospitals, outpatient imaging centers and cardiology offices simply can't afford to hire nuclear technologists in this environment and current situation in many markets dictates employed nuclear techs will increasingly be asked to cut back on thier hours due to budget shortfalls.

Its also wise to re-evaluate your options, recommend reading "who move my cheese" the rules have changed and you have to adapt with them...positive thinking needs to be accompanied with a healthy dose of reality. Also referred to the Stockdale principle...look into it may be benefical to you and good luck in your endeavors

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian30987 in Weirton, West Virginia

39 months ago

Mettler in Wheeling, West Virginia said: ttaylor394 I'm currently studying nuc med at wheeling jesuit and I'm just now hearing about how bad the job market is for techs. Did you go to jesuit?

Hey there I just graduated from WJU in May. I have about 45 applications out and I've had one interview. Talk to the instructors about CT involvement because they will set you up with a place to get your CT clinicals as well. It can only help you and make you have more prospects !

mattiemjk in Yorkville, Illinois

39 months ago

Brian30987 in Weirton, West Virginia said: Hey there I just graduated from WJU in May. I have about 45 applications out and I've had one interview. Talk to the instructors about CT involvement because they will set you up with a place to get your CT clinicals as well. It can only help you and make you have more prospects !

Yes the market is tight we all know that. The fact that you at least had one interview is positive. A lot of jobs are hard to come by now not just healthcare. Many college grads in a lot of different degrees are not having much luck either. Nuc Med is still a good profession its just really competitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Everett in Slinger, Wisconsin

30 months ago

I thought I should post an update!

I'm the one who quoted Winston Churchill 16 months ago...

I worked for 16 years as a Nuc Med Tech before finding myself out of a job.

This past year and a half, I have worked at Wal-mart and as a Certified Nursing Assistant, and have had learning experiences that I never would have had otherwise.

After over 500 applications, I finally have a full-time Nuc Med position!!!!

Keep trying. Don't give up!

WheelSpin in Marysville, Washington

30 months ago

Everett,

Congratulations on finding work.

That said, the sobering reality is that your 16 yrs of OTJ experience was probably a pivotal factor in landing a slot. It's not the same for *new* grads, who have no experience beyond their clinical rotations - something we all have. Statistically, your experience is an anomaly in the population of applicants. Any prospective student should look at it form this angle when they seek to choose a career path.

At some point, a person has to "give up" to reality & choose something that can provide a realistic financial income for them. By the numbers, this field doesn't really offer that any more.

But again, congratulations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Everett in Slinger, Wisconsin

30 months ago

Wheelspin:

Thank you. I do understand about having no experience. When I graduated in 1994, there was a glut of NM techs in Ohio. It took me 6 months to get a job back then.

This time it was different. It took me 18 months. I think that my 16 years of experience actually worked against me. Many of the jobs I applied for were filled with new grads! So from my neck of the woods, new grads do have hope of finding a job. Maybe this varies from one region to another.

The job I did get is a new hospital just opening up. They only wanted experienced techs. That is where my 16 years of experience became pivotal. Otherwise: if a facility already has experienced techs, a department can hire a new grad. A very important factor in keeping costs down.

All this being said, it would be interesting to know what the breakdown is on who is getting jobs: new grads vs. experienced techs. But I think it all depends on what the employer is looking for.

If you have a NM job, be thankful for it. If not, then work at something in the meantime to put food on the table. (I have 8 children so I understand about a realistic financial income.) I have also read that employers are more likely to hire someone who is working at something than they are to hire someone who isn't working at all.

Disclaimer: I am an optimist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Thornhill, Ontario

30 months ago

For those of you have already graduated, yes keep on looking. It's a lottery, but you might get lucky like this gentleman. But if you are thinking about entering nuc med, then save yourself the headache and depression and look into another field. The situation is very bleak for nuc med. There are many causes, but the bottom line is that the supply of nuc med techs GREATLY EXCEEDS demand. And I don't see the situation changing in the near future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

mattiemjk in Marco, Florida

30 months ago

Everett in Slinger, Wisconsin said: I thought I should post an update!

I'm the one who quoted Winston Churchill 16 months ago...

I worked for 16 years as a Nuc Med Tech before finding myself out of a job.

This past year and a half, I have worked at Wal-mart and as a Certified Nursing Assistant, and have had learning experiences that I never would have had otherwise.

After over 500 applications, I finally have a full-time Nuc Med position!!!!

Keep trying. Don't give up!

Congratulations on the job, you played merry hell to secure that full-time position.

Your story is testament to the true NMT employment market, it shows the rigors one may
have to go through - just to obtain a position in Nuclear Medicine.

Realistically though, Nuc Med still fails to offer reasonable paths to employment based on the odds and numbers. Nuc(with or without the schools pumping) remains a very small niche profession with traditionally low turnover and much slower growth compared to other imaging modalities.

alawson in Charleston, West Virginia

29 months ago

So I just decided I want to do nic med. But I'm would like to know how .much the pay is at the start.

The comments really help as well. Think I'm gna do
too lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Thornhill, Ontario

29 months ago

is this a joke? Surely you can't be serious. Have you taken a look on this forum and seen all the nuc med graduates that can't find a job? don't throw away your life like that. Go into a field where there are actually jobs. I'm sorry but nuc med will be dead for a long time...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joeschmoe in Winnipeg, Manitoba

29 months ago

alawson,

I think you'll be a-ok. Don't listen to the negative opinions here, there is far too much nonsense that's spewed on this board.

For the people who are passionate about their given profession, there will always be a spur of jobs for.

The pay can really vary. In Canada, the starting pay is somewhere around $30-35 dollars an hour depending on the union agreement. This amount can raise up to $42 an hour and sometimes much more depending on your position.

Nuclear Med has been a great career, and it's really served me well. I highly recommend you do some job shadowing before any serious commitment. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

beezorchdaddyo in Austin, Texas

29 months ago

joeschmoe in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: alawson,

I think you'll be a-ok. Don't listen to the negative opinions here, there is far too much nonsense that's spewed on this board.

For the people who are passionate about their given profession, there will always be a spur of jobs for.

The pay can really vary. In Canada, the starting pay is somewhere around $30-35 dollars an hour depending on the union agreement. This amount can raise up to $42 an hour and sometimes much more depending on your position.

Nuclear Med has been a great career, and it's really served me well. I highly recommend you do some job shadowing before any serious commitment. Good luck!

The nonsense is coming from YOU, Hoss.

WheelSpin in Everett, Washington

29 months ago

The indisputable fact is that the jobs-to-applicants ratio < 1 by a gross margin.

Word to the wise: invest in something that offers a decent chance of a return.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.