Future in Nuc Med with certification in Nuclear Cardio and PET/CT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Jerome K in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

Hey Im a graduating Nuc Med student later this summer with a BS, and I know the job market is going to be tough. I was curious if there were any benefit with getting the NMTCB certification in Nuclear Cardiology and PET/CT. I know there is a huge future in PET and the PET/CT certification may become standard, but I am curious if it worth pursuing these certifications right out of school(Also if looking into cross-training is worthwhile). Any insight would be greatly appreciated, and also any other pointers or advice for a future Tech would be openly welcome. Thanks!!!

-Jerome

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Zac Cockroft in Austin, Texas

54 months ago

Well, you cannot pursue these specialty exams right out of school. You have to accumulate so many hours as a full time Tech to sit for the Cardiology exam, and have to accumulate so many hours on a Pet/Ct scanner, all documented before you can sit for it. Go to the NMTCB website and it will tell you what you need to do before you can pursue them. The job market for new Technologist is very tight right now...good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

NukeTech in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

Jerome,

What school are you currently attending? I am a recent graduate in the heavily saturated Chicago area and may have a few tips for a new tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jerome K in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

Hey guys,

Im at the VA. I know I need to get experience hours as a full time Tech before getting in on these other specialty certifications, but I was curious if in your opinions it would be worth the time. Thanks for all the tips.

-Jerome

Zac Cockroft in Austin, Texas

54 months ago

No not really, it really isn't worth the investment. They are just extra credentials by your name; talk with your employer in time, and see if they are worth the investment, but more than likely, they will not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teamnuclear in Laceyville, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

There is no reason to get a BS in Radiology. It means nothing at all. Your employer is looking for experience, not education. A certificate is just as good as a degree program and a hell of a lot cheaper and faster. The best thing to do is let your employer pay for your future education i.e. BS if you feel you need a degree. As for the PET Boards, I haven't found any employers that are giving you a raise or anything if you have the title of PET. Although it may get you an edge for employment. It's would be better to obtain your CT board, you will be more marketable and all you will have all the skills you need to be a good technologist it PET and CT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

NukeTech in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

Nuclear Techs cannot perform CT scans in IL, unless they are a radiographer also. If you want to stay in Chicago don't waste your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Certified and Jobless in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

Is there any state that allows a Nuc Med Tech to perform CT scans on standalone machines without their radiography certification? (ARRT (R)). I'm certified in Nuc Med and in a CT program now. From what I've seen, I don't think there are any states that allow this.

Nuke in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

NukeTech in Chicago, Illinois said: Jerome,

What school are you currently attending? I am a recent graduate in the heavily saturated Chicago area and may have a few tips for a new tech.

Hello NukeTech in Chicago,

I am a tech also looking for a job in the chicago area. I would like to know what tips you may have for a new grad. I could use all the tips I can get. Getting a job out here is tough.

gaston in River Grove, Illinois

41 months ago

Nowadays it is hard to find a job as a nuclear medicine technologist...

darksidzz in Los Angeles, California

41 months ago

I use to live in IL where my dad kept pressuring me to join that stupid program, I knew it was wrong choice so refused!

pet in Winston Salem, North Carolina

40 months ago

in NC a NUC med tech can operate pet-ct with only nuc cert.

some advice? in Brooklyn, New York

39 months ago

i am going to be graudating from Nuclear Medicine Program with a BS this May and will be starting my clinical during the summer. i can a choice to either do my cilnical, get the certification get some experience in patient care or should i just contiune my education(take some extra classes) so i can apply to be a Physican Assistance the following year. Which route should i pick?

RTRNCT,CNMT in Dumont, New Jersey

39 months ago

Honestly,I would pick some extra preequisite classes and enroll in Physician Assistant program. That's what my former classmate is doing and it's good idea. If you do get accepted into the PA program, work a few hours each week as a technologist if you can in the weekend. If not, do not sweat it.

nuketechlouisiana in Covington, Louisiana

39 months ago

Don't even bother with trying to apply for a job as a Nuclear Med Tech or PET CT tech in another state other than the one you live in. You will not even get any consideration. I have been told that employers will accept the applications and then toss or shred them instantly! They only want to hire in state or locals. What a farce! This profession is going in the crapper real fast. I have been a Nuclear Medicine Tech going on 20 years now and if I could only turn back the hands of the clock, I would not be in this profession today! For those looking at getting into this field..take some advice...turn the other direction fast! Just my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Devin in Pinckneyville, Illinois

37 months ago

Im a Nuc Tech that also has a degree in Radiology and just took and passed my CT certification boards as well. Im interested in how marketable my certifications are and if I have opened up any extra doors for myself?

MARK IACOBAZZI in Bloomingdale, Illinois

17 months ago

The Nuclear Med Tech field is very saturated and medicaid/medicare are not reimbursing as much as they did in past years. This results in a shortage of Nuclear Med Tech positions. If your have dual modalities in other areas of radiology, like Ultrsound, CT,X-ray,MRI , you will have a better time finding work. without experience, this also will cause the graduate not to be able to find work. You might want to consider travel contract work as an option. You will see the country and gain experience working.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.