Getting a California NMT License????????

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (33)

Paul in Lansing, Illinois

72 months ago

Hi, I just graduated with a Bachelors Health Science, major in NM, I live in IL, I have a IL License but am possibly thinking of getting a job in CA, cause there are more opening there than in Chicago thats for sure. Im taking the NMTCB in June, but before I start applying how do I obtain a CA License, is there a website to apply. Here in IL you pay I forget how much and they send it to you, no test or anything, how is the case in CA, is there a test or do you just pay and apply?? Also what are the NMT making in CA right now just curious, here in Chicago starting is about $26-28. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Lansing, Illinois

72 months ago

Nevermind on the test part I just read it, if you took the NMTCB and pass it your exempt from the CA test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

carolh in San Jose, California

60 months ago

Hi,

I have been a nuc med tech in California for 4 years. The low range for jobs is $40/hr, but you can make $60/hr in a private clinic or as a mobile worker in California.

Good luck!

Paul in Lansing, Illinois said: Hi, I just graduated with a Bachelors Health Science, major in NM, I live in IL, I have a IL License but am possibly thinking of getting a job in CA, cause there are more opening there than in Chicago thats for sure. Im taking the NMTCB in June, but before I start applying how do I obtain a CA License, is there a website to apply. Here in IL you pay I forget how much and they send it to you, no test or anything, how is the case in CA, is there a test or do you just pay and apply?? Also what are the NMT making in CA right now just curious, here in Chicago starting is about $26-28. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

janedoeesmith in South Lake Tahoe, California

60 months ago

Paul in Lansing, Illinois said: Hi, I just graduated with a Bachelors Health Science, major in NM, I live in IL, I have a IL License but am possibly thinking of getting a job in CA, cause there are more opening there than in Chicago thats for sure. Im taking the NMTCB in June, but before I start applying how do I obtain a CA License, is there a website to apply. Here in IL you pay I forget how much and they send it to you, no test or anything, how is the case in CA, is there a test or do you just pay and apply?? Also what are the NMT making in CA right now just curious, here in Chicago starting is about $26-28. Thanks

Hello I am also a fairly new graduate (Sept 08) and I moved from Florida to California for work (I had a job before I moved). Yes you are correct you do not have to take the Ca exam if you pass the NMTCB. I am working for a fairly small facility and they started me off at $42.37 an hr plus shift differ... If you work for a larger private facility like carolh in San Jose said you may get started off with a little more..... Just remember the cost of living out here is a little more than where you are coming from....

ww2.cdph.ca.gov/programs/Pages/RadiologicHealthBranch.aspx

Here is the web link to get the form for your California license...I would suggest that if you are serious about coming out to California then apply for your license as soon as you can because many places require you to have that before they can hire you, not all places but many of them do...
Good luck and let me know if i can be of any other help...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Roanoke, Virginia

59 months ago

janedoeesmith or carolh.. What is the best way to find job in California?

59 months ago

honestly there are several sites in which you can go through. Obviously you know of indeed.com also careerbuilder.com or nucgang.org and also for some of the smaller facilities i actually google searched hospitals in california and literally went down the list of all the hospitals clicked on the websites and looked for jobs..... those are the ways i searched and found my job here in california....it was actually the google search that i found this hospital and job it wasnt posted on any internet sites or job boards like indeed or careerbuilder... its a lot of leg work but trust me it is worth it cuase you can find faCnilites like mine who arent huge facilites but still have great pay benefits and are usually willing to give a new grad a start in the biz...good luck...also no matter what state you apply for let them know that you are in the process of obtaining the state license as well they like to hear that it shows that you are serious about moving for the position....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

orrug2k in st louis, Missouri

59 months ago

how much is a license if your alread a cnmt with nmtcb. Do you have to pay the full 150 bucks..

59 months ago

orrug2k in st louis, Missouri said: how much is a license if your alread a cnmt with nmtcb. Do you have to pay the full 150 bucks..

Yes you do still have to pay the $150 for the state of california license even if you are already licensed with another state....

also if you have not passed the NMTCB exam and received a license prior to your california application they will make you take their state test as well from what i understand....

Priceless1 in Charlotte, North Carolina

59 months ago

Just Graduated from Phlebotomy School , does anyone know where they are hiring in Charlotte ,NC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

glowinthedark4U

56 months ago

ANSWER: FIRST TAKE NMTCB BOARD CERT.
Then Contact the California Dept. of PUBLIC HEALTH__Radiologic Health Branch (RHB) Submit all req. documentation, answer questionier,and PAY the FEE Reqested.It akes aprox 3months to recieve CA is very slow at processing requests for application !!

NOTANYBETTERHERE in San Diego, California

56 months ago

Like glowinthedark4U said, it takes quite awhile, especially with budget woes of government here. It's a slow process here, and not only that but you better have all your documentations/ verifications of the # of studies , what type, what machines you've worked on, etc. Let's just say they're very nit-picky here, not like other states where you just pay the money and easy application form. Most places won't even look at your application unless you already have the required CA license. And don't kid yourself of there being more Nuke jobs here. I spoke with a supervisor where for an on-call weekend position, she received over 100 applications. The cost of living is high, there's a high unemployment rate, but on the bright side, the weather is really nice, there's alot of beautiful/physically fit people(as least where I'm at), there's a lot of things to do, and people like to have fun.

loveseat in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts

56 months ago

It's intresting to know that CA has nuc med jobs at least.Iam a canadian citizen, just graduated in Canada,came down to MD for a visit ,Sat, passed and got certified as a NMTCB ,now in love with the US , i am thinking of working in thes in the near fuyure.What do i need to do to realize my dream

Jane in Gardnerville, Nevada

55 months ago

loveseat in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts said: It's intresting to know that CA has nuc med jobs at least.Iam a canadian citizen, just graduated in Canada,came down to MD for a visit ,Sat, passed and got certified as a NMTCB ,now in love with the US , i am thinking of working in thes in the near fuyure.What do i need to do to realize my dream

first you need to located their states website to obtain your nuc med license for the state of california its a lengthy documentation asking about verifications of the # of studies , what type, what machines you've worked on, stuff like that and will need to either be filled out by your current employer or by you programs director for your internship...the job market use to be a little larger for nuc med here it has tapered off a little like the rest of the country but just keep hitting the pavement and i guarentee you will find something...it might not be right away and you might get a lot of rejections at first becuase a lot of places dont want to hire new grads but hey i did it i found a place to hire me so dont let anyone bring u down u can do it. Also I can suggest that on ur cover letter or objective on ur resume that you state that u have or are obtaining ur california license and are looking at relocation there as well :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

loveseat in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts said: It's intresting to know that CA has nuc med jobs at least.Iam a canadian citizen, just graduated in Canada,came down to MD for a visit ,Sat, passed and got certified as a NMTCB ,now in love with the US , i am thinking of working in thes in the near fuyure.What do i need to do to realize my dream

oh i know iknow my info say nevada but i live on the border of naevada and cali and i actually work in south lake tahoe, ca....

55 months ago

NOTANYBETTERHERE in San Diego, California said: Like glowinthedark4U said, it takes quite awhile, especially with budget woes of government here. It's a slow process here, and not only that but you better have all your documentations/ verifications of the # of studies , what type, what machines you've worked on, etc. Let's just say they're very nit-picky here, not like other states where you just pay the money and easy application form. Most places won't even look at your application unless you already have the required CA license. And don't kid yourself of there being more Nuke jobs here. I spoke with a supervisor where for an on-call weekend position, she received over 100 applications. The cost of living is high, there's a high unemployment rate, but on the bright side, the weather is really nice, there's alot of beautiful/physically fit people(as least where I'm at), there's a lot of things to do, and people like to have fun.

Yes its like that all over the country every position is receiving an overload of resumes , unemplyment sucks all over the country...same thing when i grad last yr but i think that nothing should detour anyone if u keep trying and pushing u will find the right place :)

55 months ago

glowinthedark4U said: ANSWER: FIRST TAKE NMTCB BOARD CERT.
Then Contact the California Dept. of PUBLIC HEALTH__Radiologic Health Branch (RHB) Submit all req. documentation, answer questionier,and PAY the FEE Reqested.It akes aprox 3months to recieve CA is very slow at processing requests for application !!

wow i got mine within a month...guess depends on how "busy" they are ;) just like every gov job lol

55 months ago

Contact the California Dept. of PUBLIC HEALTH__Radiologic Health Branch they have a website which u can just print off their application it is lengthy document and will either need to be verified by ur current employer or for a new grad by your intership program director..it took me about a month to get my license..I work in NW cali i make $42.37/hr plus shift differ...but i am at a small hospital facility i am sure with larger or private facilites u might make a little more or about the same also depends on ur experience too...

ww2.cdph.ca.gov/programs/Pages/RadiologicHealthBranch.aspx

55 months ago

John in Roanoke, Virginia said: janedoeesmith or carolh.. What is the best way to find job in California?

honestly there are several sites in which you can go through. Obviously you know of indeed.com also careerbuilder.com or nucgang.org , auntmini.com and also for some of the smaller facilities i actually google searched hospitals in california and literally went down the list of all the hospitals clicked on the websites and looked for jobs..... those are the ways i searched and found my job here in california....it was actually the google search that i found this hospital and job it wasnt posted on any internet sites or job boards like indeed or careerbuilder... its a lot of leg work but trust me it is worth it cuase you can find faCnilites like mine who arent huge facilites but still have great pay benefits and are usually willing to give a new grad a start in the biz...good luck...also no matter what state you apply for let them know that you are in the process of obtaining the state license as well they like to hear that it shows that you are serious about moving for the position....

john in Elkridge, Maryland

51 months ago

is it required to obtain a california state license if you are certified by the nmtcb. i know that some states do not require that you have their proprietary license if you have passed the nmtcb. I was curious is california one of those that does not require a state license if you've passed the nmtcb. Or, are you required t have both the california state license and the nmtcb to start working?

Jane in South Lake Tahoe, California

51 months ago

john in Elkridge, Maryland said: is it required to obtain a california state license if you are certified by the nmtcb. i know that some states do not require that you have their proprietary license if you have passed the nmtcb. I was curious is california one of those that does not require a state license if you've passed the nmtcb. Or, are you required t have both the california state license and the nmtcb to start working?

Yes it is required by the state of california to obtain a california license. It is a long form and had to be filled out and verfiied by your current employer or your program director. It costs about $150 to obtain. You can find the application of the california dept of public health website..they call it a certification not a license tho....

Jen in West Covina, California

50 months ago

Lol...we have no jobs here in California either!!!

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

50 months ago

Jen in West Covina, California said: Lol...we have no jobs here in California either!!!

Lol we have NO jobs period!!

NukeTech in Chicago, Illinois

50 months ago

Does Arizona require a state license or certification?

nuc_med_grad

47 months ago

NukeTech in Chicago, Illinois said: Does Arizona require a state license or certification?

Yes you need a license in Arizona. It is controlled by the MRTBE. They have an application and you have to call them for how much it costs.

www.azrra.gov/MRTBE/mrtbe.htm

Job market is very tight in AZ. It is a very very small community here and there is also a college that produces local Arizona graduates. I am not sure an out of towner would have a shot. But apply everywhere. Findlay is flooding the market with graduates and there are no jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

soph408@yahoo.com in Santa Barbara, California

43 months ago

Hello i just graduated this last year in california. Taking the national Arrt test will satisfy california. All you have to do is also pay a fee to get your california licence to practice. I believe its a 150.00 fee but just double check on the fee. The starting wages in california are about 30- 35 depending on the city. You also have to take into accout the cost of living in different cities (really expensive). good luck! Soph

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LOSTBOY2244 in Paducah, Kentucky

42 months ago

Well I see 5 openings in calif today. How can their be no jobs?? 3 have been posted for a month and are still posted. All per diem but thats a job at least.

justmoot in El Cajon, California

42 months ago

formality sake....postings don't necessarily mean "hiring now" especially with the hiring freezes in many of the hospitals...and hiring is often done "in house" first..meaning shuffling workers from same hospital or shuffling interaffiliates of hospitals.
...i don't believe in giving up..but i do believe in getting smart and moving on ..which i've done...Moved On (but fortunately for me i know is more easier, than maybe for some)...Good Luck All!

UK Tech in London, United Kingdom

42 months ago

If I am a CNMT, do i still need to take an exam for California State License? Or is there such thing as Exam for California State NMT license?

LOSTBOY2244 in Paducah, Kentucky

42 months ago

NO JOBS IN CALIFORNIA TOO.. I WAS HOPEFUL THEY HAD A BETTER OUTLOOK. LOOKS LIKE MOSTLY PER DIEM OR POOL JOBS.. THAT CAN MEAN ONLY 2 DAYS A YEAR.. I KNOW.. HAD A FEW

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John l

38 months ago

So do you have to have a California state certification to work in California?

Solley in Chicago

38 months ago

John l said: So do you have to have a California state certification to work in California?

Yes

Julie in Westerville, Ohio

24 months ago

Can anyone give me the link for the California license? I am getting lost in the CA.gov website.
Thanks

susy in Princeton, New Jersey

22 months ago

Julie in Westerville, Ohio said: Can anyone give me the link for the California license? I am getting lost in the CA.gov website.
Thanks

www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/forms/Pages/RHBCertificationForms(HealingArts).aspx

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.