Job Placement

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Stitch in Urbandale, Iowa

47 months ago

I'm wondering if any of these NMT programs make any attempt at
job placement for thier graduates. It's been at least 3 years now (maybe 4 or 5)since new NMT graduates have had any real chance of getting a full time NMT job, so that's a LOT of new NMTs who will most likely NEVER work in thier field.
I just wonder if any of these new NMTs go back to thier schools to seek help after months or years of searching for NMT jobs that don't exist and haven't existed for several years. What do these program directors tell thier former students? Or do they just refuse to talk to them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

deuce9 in benton, Arkansas

47 months ago

Speaking from a personal standpoint I know that the school I went to has not lifted a finger to help me, and I'm assuming, any other graduates. I emailed my director Monday back and forth a little to see if he had any contacts in Hammond. Then I asked if he knew of any jobs and he didn't even have the guts to email me back. Very unprofessional and quite honestly, very lazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Solley in Chicago

47 months ago

I have never heard from anyone that a school helped them out, that includes me. But I am a different story. I graduated few years back and had 4 offers 3 months before my graduation... that was long, long time ago... the NMT job market was a different story then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WheelSpin in Snohomish, Washington

47 months ago

Consider the situation - the market, & the behavior demonstrated by the schools. It should be clear, the college programs are in it to cannibalize the student enrollees as long as possible, until the profession goes belly up &/or propspective students get a clue.

If the NM field is so intent on killing itself, then it deserves to die. Let CT/MRI/X-ray have it. Have those fields been as self-emolating as this one?

Nuk05 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

47 months ago

Of course it is unethical for these schools to continue to put students through nuc med programs, but it is futile to want to force them to take accountability- they never will. They cannot help anyone with job placement, since there are hardly any jobs to place into! It is so sad and frustrating to have a dead end career;trust me I have done my grieving over it. The realization that I came to with all of my frustration is to invest in a new career. Ultimately, we all make choices, and regardless of how the market is now in nuclear medicine, I was the one that chose to do it. Not the schools, they didn't coerce me into anything, I chose. So I have to make another life altering choice, and go back to school and begin a new career.

Don't mistake this post as me saying. "Stop complaining." I'm not saying that at all, and I think it is so helpful to have a network of nuc techs that are going through the same thing that I am. If possible, get yourself out of this field, whatever it might be that will actually give you a job! Do your research and read forums for all different types of careers. Also, do job searches, to prevent yourself from getting into another predicament like we are in. Oh and in case anyone is thinking about adding more imaging certifications to their credentials, they are heading down the same path as nuc med. The job situation won't be much better in any of those fields.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

movingon2 in Lakewood, California

46 months ago

Unfortunately, I also went into Nuclear Med. and wasn't able to find a job after graduating. I didn't even get to work after graduating, so I decided to not renew my license which just recently expired. I've had people tell me to renew it. But I feel that I won't give the best care to a patient when I haven't even been around the field for over a year and a half. I do miss the patient care and the wonderful responses when I did training with my patients above all.

fazalbaig in Alpharetta, Georgia

46 months ago

dont give up there are jobs in nuclear medicine and always keep your license renewed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

flyguy in Flemington, New Jersey

45 months ago

Stitch in Urbandale, Iowa said: I'm wondering if any of these NMT programs make any attempt at
job placement for thier graduates. It's been at least 3 years now (maybe 4 or 5)since new NMT graduates have had any real chance of getting a full time NMT job, so that's a LOT of new NMTs who will most likely NEVER work in thier field.
I just wonder if any of these new NMTs go back to thier schools to seek help after months or years of searching for NMT jobs that don't exist and haven't existed for several years. What do these program directors tell thier former students? Or do they just refuse to talk to them?

No Kidding!! For example: The Union College/Muelenburg Nuclear program in NJ pumps out around 15 techs each cycle. It's costs over $20K and once graduated and certified they have no place to work. And the knowledge...if you don't use it you loose it. After a few years you don't remember!! The only people benefiting are the schools- its purely a business. The instructors reply that "it's their job to educate you, not to get you employment" There is no job placement because there are no jobs. BEWARE! - don't waste your time and money. During your clinicals the other techs (who are supposed to train you) see you as a threat- Its a cut-throat environment. It's a very over saturated area; not worth the all the time, effort and money that it takes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

flyguy in Flemington, New Jersey

45 months ago

fazalbaig in Alpharetta, Georgia said: dont give up there are jobs in nuclear medicine and always keep your license renewed.

Are you a nuclear medicine instructor?

what the f in Chicago, Illinois

45 months ago

laid off in Nov. 2011. we were flexing like crazy. the people left there, three techs. are still flexing. applied to over 40 jobs since then and not even one call back. i've applied to only 2 in illinois because the marked is f-ed. i have for years experience. get the picture.

people who go to school for this profession now, i don't get.

what kind of judgement would you have if you went into this profession now. do hiring executives think of that.

employed in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

I have to agree with the majority of the posts.

It is hard to believe that there are still new students getting into this program. We had a student intern last year who is still looking for employment.

My situation was quite fortunate. I am an adult who returned to school got into a program at one hospital and was told about an opening at a sister-hospital. I went there just a few months after graduating as a full-time temp and got hired about 6 months later.

Everytime I complain about my frustrations about my work, I think maybe I'll look elsewhere . . . yeah right!

When I did job searches 4-5 years ago, you would have at least a couple every few weeks (which is why I chose NucMed), but these new students really to take a hard look at the job market. Even if you're willing and able to relocate there are no guarantees you'll find something.

Consider a closely related field if you can, and good luck!!

Josh312 in Laredo, Texas

43 months ago

I am looking to relocate to finish my masters but of course the market is screwed. I have 3 years experience and I have only received one call back in 2 months. How depressing. I need to be in a larger city to finish my residency for my masters :(

Erinn in Ravenna, Ohio

42 months ago

I am a certified NMT looking for full-time employment. Graduated 2010. I am seriously interested in relocating to costal states or honestly anywhere I can find full-time employment. The job market in Cleveland, OH is rather terrible.

The program directors did not inform the students of the LACK of full-time positions before hand. However, I would do not fault directors for not closing these programs, because you would not close law programs if there were too many lawers.

Yes, it does disappoint me that I am having such a hard time finding Nuclear Medicine Tech. positions or even getting an interview for positions posted. Is the lack of interest in me as a candidate due to my lack of experience? Or is there another reason?

WheelSpin in Everett, Washington

42 months ago

Erinn in Ravenna, Ohio said: ...I would [sic] do not fault directors for not closing these programs, because you would not close law programs if there were too many lawers.

Yes, it does disappoint me that I am having such a hard time finding Nuclear Medicine Tech. positions or even getting an interview for positions posted. Is the lack of interest in me as a candidate due to my lack of experience? Or is there another reason?

so let me get this straight: you do not blame your NM program directors for non-disclosure because other programs are also guilty of non-disclosure. Well, I'm sure they appreciate that - as well as the money you gave them.

Anyway, you have are an inexperienced, fresh-faced job-seeker in a pool crowded with experienced job-seekers. You figure the odds. Happy hunting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Meme in Lodi, California

41 months ago

WheelSpin in Everett, Washington said: so let me get this straight: you do not blame your NM program directors for non-disclosure because other programs are also guilty of non-disclosure. Well, I'm sure they appreciate that - as well as the money you gave them.

Anyway, you have are an inexperienced, fresh-faced job-seeker in a pool crowded with experienced job-seekers. You figure the odds. Happy hunting.

He said not closing the programs you dim wit. Read carefully before posting you ass.

disgusting in Springfield, Illinois

41 months ago

i graduated in 2008...guess what after applying for literally hundreds of jobs...hundreds...used to keep the we are considering you stack but threw them away..there are no jobs...even part time..if u see a job posted...they are having over one hundred apply for it....thinking of all that time and money and work..for nothing..nuc tech students....drop out while u are in..change your degree and save yourself the headache the waste of money and the disappointment...the school doesnt have to pay the money back..they dont care!!!!!..this has been a very large scam and its fraudulant to do this to people and morally wrong

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

WheelSpin in Sultan, Washington

41 months ago

Meme in Lodi, California said: He said not closing the programs you dim wit. Read carefully before posting you ass.

The comment goes to the point of the greed that drives the push to keep flooding this saturated market.

You're being stuk in the "valley" is getting you. No excuse for poor behavior.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.