Major Requirements

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 54)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

Nicole in CA said: Saly,

Thanks for your prayer; I think it's working for some of us. After reading this forum and the article you previously posted (imaging-radiology-oncology-technologist.advanceweb.com/Article/Supply-Demand-reaching-a-balance.aspx), I realized it would probably be foolish to pursue a career in the nuclear medicine field. Believe me though, I still want to. But I guess it wouldn't be too smart. You guys scared me enough!

I almost solely listened to the recruiters at the schools. But because of you and the other posts on this forum I did a little research first before spending my precious time and money on more school. Thanks again.

It's about time these recruiters were held accountable for their lies!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Yonkers, New York

70 months ago

Hi everyone, it really is terrible in the nuc med world. I was laid off two years ago. Never found another full time job in nuc med. I've given up. Now things are much worse with the economy. I'm extremely lucky to have found a teaching job. It doesn't pay much but atleast I have some money coming in. I don't know how or when I'm going to pay off the $10,000 I still owe on my student loan. Good luck to everyone. For anyone thinking of nuc med, DON'T DO IT. GO INTO NURSING--I wish I did but now it's too late. I have no time or money to go back to school. To Marie, you're right, these recruiters should be held accountable. It's almost criminal to encourage students to go into Nuc Med. Frankly I think it's a dying field. So many procedures are now being done by CT. Faster, more convenient, easier for the patient, same or less radiation, and often cheaper.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

70 months ago

Nicole in CA said: Saly,

Thanks for your prayer; I think it's working for some of us. After reading this forum and the article you previously posted (imaging-radiology-oncology-technologist.advanceweb.com/Article/Supply-Demand-reaching-a-balance.aspx), I realized it would probably be foolish to pursue a career in the nuclear medicine field. Believe me though, I still want to. But I guess it wouldn't be too smart. You guys scared me enough!

I almost solely listened to the recruiters at the schools. But because of you and the other posts on this forum I did a little research first before spending my precious time and money on more school. Thanks again.

Nicole I am glad that you were able to see what is going on in the field before you wasted your time. Hope things would work out for you. I just found out that are folks that graduated 3 years ago, that never were able to get a job in nuc med, and are now doing other work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wp in Hemet, California

64 months ago

At the very least you should be dual licensed in radiology and nuclear med so you can do PET/CT
I worked in this field for 28 years and hated it. Go into something else like nursing. Although that may be filling up due to the recession. You will loathe being on call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eleanor La Pointe in Dearborn, Michigan

64 months ago

Can in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hello all!! im interested in studying to be a nuclear medicine technologist.. the only thing is besides actually majoring in that field are there different majors that you can receive a degree such as Biology, Chemistry, Or Health Sciences.. I've been researching this for awhile and there is a nuclear medicine program but the school that its provided at, is about an hr and half away and i just recently bought a home... im not trying to make a move again.. but this field is something im completely interested in going in...Help!

Hate to be blunt, but you are making a mistake. The field is saturated and the schools have no interest in lowering the number of graduates they put out every year. You could wait forever to have a job open in your area. I have been in the field for almost 30 yearsand it is aas bad as I have ever seen it. I am lucky enough to have a really good and varied resume so I haven't had too much trouble finding a job. But they haven't alsway been where I wanted to be or at the salary I wanted. My husband and I are mobile, so it's easy for us. Please do you research before tyou jump into something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zac Cockroft in Burnet, Texas

64 months ago

Agree with everyone! It is an oversaturated field and, out of my class of 17, only three of us have Nuclear Medicine jobs, two of which are PRN'S at BSAin Amarillo. So far, my job at Texas Cardiovascular Consultants is going well, about to come up on my 3 month evaluation. The only thing I am lacking now is my ACLS, which I will get at the end of the month in Kerrville. Anyways, good luck to everybody!
Zac

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

down and out in Edgewater, Florida

64 months ago

THIS JOB MARKET STINKS I'VE CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I'VE BEEN AFFECTED BY THIS RECESSION FOR THE 1ST TIME IN 28 YEARS AND BY AGE DISCRIMINATION AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GUESS I NEED TO EXPECT THIS ABUSE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Cork, Ireland

64 months ago

Wow, discrimination a? Filed a complaint? I would! What can you loose?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jessica in Buffalo, New York

62 months ago

well... if the job market has been that good for 28 years then you'd think it'd would be just as good once the recession is over. atleast i hope the economy will balance itself out some day. :) other than nursing and pharmacueticals what do you suggest in these bad times? teching, mechanics ect. are all having a difficult time but i see people getting into those professions all the time. actually rumour as it nursing isnt as hot as it used to be either.

NothingHere in Saint Louis, Missouri

62 months ago

I hope people aren't kidding themselves..thinking that once recession is over, things will be all good again. These are changing times(with plenty of NMT schools) , with NEW ECONOMIC models.We are in the process of a whole economic model SHIFT/ EVOLUTION (this applies to everything, not just in NukeMed. Much wealth(whether, real or not real) was lost. Hospitals lost alot of money, foundations lost alot of money (especially many of those with Medical/Research Individual/ Philanthropy ties to Madoff. Gone...

And the whole forecast about this BIG BABY BOOMER generation needing medical attention (that also belongs with the OLD economic forecast model). Yes, this population exists, but do you think that they will all be getting medical attention HERE...hmmm Think cruiseship hospitals, tropical islands..aka medical tourism = cheap labor? Remember, shifting times, shifting ways of doing things...these are NEW times..wouldn't it be nice if we can just say "remember when there were plenty of NMT jobs with high wages?"

And you are right about the NURSING field somewhat cooling off (however, compare the turnover rates nursing vs. nukemed, also the variety of nursing positions and growth vs. nukemed., and like someone mentioned before honestly look at ratio nurse vs. nukemed). The "MACHINE" hasn't been as effective in nursing as opposed to NukeMed because of the aforementioned reasons, in terms of trying to saturate the supply in order to dwindle wages(because nurses have the luxury of hopping around for better wage, treatment, interests. etc).

Can Nuke Techs shop around for new opportunities.HELL NO...if you have a job you're happy to have one, if you have a job you hope to get the hours, if you don't have the hours you are just happy to have a job and keep it, if you don't have a job you're just hoping to get the "crumbs", if you can't have the "crumbs" you're bleeding with so many other techs who are just wanting the crumbs.

ARoadToADeadEnd

62 months ago

WHOOOO-HOOOOO I got a useless degree for CNMT to become jobless, homeless, hireless, and indebted. A degree in NMT is a shot in the foot...you become "overqualified" because the ooohhh nuclear sounds so difficult..and noone wants to hire you..To all those still considering Nuke Med. don't make the same mistake.

And if any of our leaders in the Nuclear Med Tech profession are reading, I'm really VERY thankful for Society of Nuclear Medicine my oh so loving professional organization that's really helped all of us out so much by keeping so so quiet. And yes, the so ethical, and so truthful educators who propel us forward to better our lives and the lives of others, Thank you!Thank you, Thank you! (YEAH!!!!)

So MAJOR REQUIREMENTS to become a NMT:
-Not want a Job When you Graduate
-Want an Unstable Job if Any
-Not be able to use your degree in anything else
-Not want good and supportive leadership from your professional organization/Educators

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Booger1515 in Winter Haven, Florida

62 months ago

Can in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hello all!! im interested in studying to be a nuclear medicine technologist.. the only thing is besides actually majoring in that field are there different majors that you can receive a degree such as Biology, Chemistry, Or Health Sciences.. I've been researching this for awhile and there is a nuclear medicine program but the school that its provided at, is about an hr and half away and i just recently bought a home... im not trying to make a move again.. but this field is something im completely interested in going in...Help!

dont go into nucmed. there are no jobs here. go away!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa

62 months ago

I am so glad I found this forum! I wanted to take NMT again I am glad I found this..I really was also interested in taking the Radiologic Technologist program. I hope that is a better choice....For my sake. Good Luck All!

Bucky in San Diego, California

62 months ago

Melissa, I just want you to be VERY CAREFUL before getting into ANY position in the allied health field. We know there's no jobs in NMT, but be careful with Rad Tech too(or ultrasound,etc) . Any allied health field that only requires 2 yrs of training will be unstable in the future due to the number of students graduating (and already saturated field). I would advise getting into a medical field where a Bachelors is a bare minimum (Clinical Lab Scientist ..aka "lab tech" for example--if you like working in the lab they are dying for workers). Yes it takes more science classes, but at least you'll have a job. With the allied health prerequisites and requirements, they're all simple sciences,thus many get into. Mind you that if there's a certain profession glorified on TV shows, usually it's a field the industry/gov want people to get into (subliminal, glorification)--think CSI,ER,Grey's Anatomy, etc..--there's a need (of course not always the case)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa

62 months ago

Thank you so much for responding to me! It makes me very nervous looking at any medical field. I have looked at a few. I also looked at a surgical technologist which is 2 years for an associates. But an RN is 2 years also..It also seems like an RN make a considerable amount more and can do the same thing. I am just worried about the pre requisites that you need. I want to make sure whatever I chose I wont be limited to what I can do. I love to learn so I want to be able to move around and get challenged. I am glad I found this site, it is helping me get more insight on what is out there and what is really go on in the workforce. I would have wasted 2 years on a surgical tech and wouldn't have been able to find work.

Aneesa in Vancouver, British Columbia

61 months ago

just found this site. you make life sound so scary.
i have a BSc and luckily got a lab job right out of uni. then decided to take a year off before going back to school for NMT. i hand in my application in 3 days.
:(

it sounds really interesting and i really would like to do it.
the school website says 100% of students that graduated found a job within 2 months...?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Deaf Ears of SNM in Vista, California

61 months ago

I'm not sure how it's like in Canada (our 51st State..just kiddin), but most of us here are just up front and honest about our personal situations of not being able to find anything.

Have you spoken to any of these 100% students(when did they graduate?), and how many individuals is 100% of the program? Did you know if it's hire based on "on-call", and also what year was the 100% data obtained (because the job situation from the last couple of years compared to maybe 3 to 4+ years ago are totally different).

By the way,you mentioned working in a lab. If you get certified as a Clinical Lab Scientist, these labs/biotech, and universities, hospitals will embrace you since there's a shortage of them here.

Besides CLS though, since you've got your BSc already, look into Physicians Assistant (not to be confused with Medical Assistant) which is similar to Nurse Practioner. There's no doubt that these positions will be plentiful due to lack of Primary Dr. (usually many of them sort of operate,with limits, like Primary Docs.).

Good Luck!
----From an Unemployed Nuclear Med Tech----

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NUKED OUT in Stratford, Wisconsin

57 months ago

At least I have a job in Nuc Med, but I see all too well what has happened. Other modalities have slowly eroded our patient base, we have precious little new radiopharmaceuticals coming down the pike, and have been fighting with an recurring shortage of 99m-Tc isotope. All these combined undermines our ability to provide meaningful results to ordering docs...No results= no patients= no nuc med jobs! I have been a Tech for nearly 16 years and consider the high point of my career as being over with. I'm just hoping to be able to keep a job so that I don't have to retrain...again!

So, I can not recommend Nuc Med for anyone either unless you would like to hop on the bandwagon to nowhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

NUCBIZ in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

I worked in the Nuclear Medicine field for 20 years. The organization that I worked for decided to close the Department I have been job less for eight months. I probably have to change my career. My advice do not go into the Nuclear Medicine field their are no jobs.

M. Demirer in Summerville, South Carolina

57 months ago

Hi, Don't go to any nuc med school and waste your money or time. I am an cnmt since 1994, I was ft for 6 years and did traveling 10 yrs. My best assignment was in Maui, Hawaii I was there for 7 mts but now I am unemployed for a year, I will stop renewing my most of the State lisences very soon and maybe just keep NMTCB or ARRT-N. If no job next renewal then I will stop them all.Do not think about radiology.

usnjose in Cincinnati, Ohio

56 months ago

Biology and Chemestry are fine majors to support you Nuclear Medicine degree but I would use Nuc. Med. as a back up you should look into doing something more my suggestion would be a Perfusionist it does require an M.S. but its worth it and the job market is way better than the problems we are having in the field of Nuclear Medicine.

CC in North Olmsted, Ohio

56 months ago

Im plannning to get NUclear Medicine Technology..after my Pharmacy tech class.While im reading these comments made me think how horrible it would be to be a NMT.Please any encouragements???

56 months ago

CC in North Olmsted, Ohio said: Im plannning to get NUclear Medicine Technology..after my Pharmacy tech class.While im reading these comments made me think how horrible it would be to be a NMT.Please any encouragements???

I don't think its horrible its just right now there are not a lot of jobs and since the job market is really hard at this time keep going to school that what I'm trying to get at

Sheri in Akron, Ohio

56 months ago

CC, do yourself a favor and put your money to better use. There are no Nuc jobs around here and there won't be for some time. I have been looking for a FT job for 3 years with no luck. I'm lucky to be PRN and waiting tables at the same time to make ends meet. Stick with Pharmacy where you can find a job or another great field to go into is respiratory, it's in demand and you can work on a limited license after your first year in the program. Good luck to you!

AT0505 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

55 months ago

I will simply be an echo to the dozens of other postings saying the same thing, do NOT go into nuclear medicine. Though I actually have a job, they continually threaten to cut back our staffing and hours in our department so that NOBODY feels secure whatsoever, and it is a terrible environment to be in. It's not going to pick back up either, look at the max number of techs you need in any one hospital and the fact that they already are fully staffed, and look at the hundreds of new grads coming out of these certificate programs every year. It doesn't even out. Now in addition to that we have isotope shortages worldwide and decreased Medicare coverage for our testing in the U.S.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

whiterabbit in Waterville, Maine

55 months ago

The field is saturated, no doubt! I am working in the field, and here are a few observations from a techs point of view: First, too many techs are wasting their money on being "over educated". They spend thousands on a field that requires a certificate.. Id say get the certificate in a cert program, save your money and pursue your education after you are working. A lot of hospitals will help with your degree pursuit. Most cert programs actually offer more clinical hours than a university program, and lets face it, if you dont have any hands on patient experience, you are at a disadvantage. Second, if you are a nuke tech and do not hold any other certs (xray being the biggie) you are virtually doomed. As the technology advances and hybrid cameras become the norm, its only a matter of time before the lone nuke tech becomes obsolete. Plan on having to go to school (or OJT it) to gain those other related certs. A must is radiology; a few other good ones to be holding would be CT and MRI. follow the wave and get those done, as in a matter of a few years that's where the technology is going to be at (actually, its already there) and that is where the working tech needs to be. Gone are the days of coasting on a few bone, hida and cardiac scans. Nuke techs are comparatively expensive, so being multi-talented is practically a must to getting in the door. I would go as far to say if you arent already an xray tech, dont bother with nukes. Next, too many current techs dont bother to upgrade their skills. They graduated when the field was short, got a good job and have had their nose to the grindstone ever since. Continuing education is not simply a way to get a few bucks out of you e very year, its a heads up of where the field is going. Since the technology and machines are evolving quickly, so must we. Nuke med is not a dead field, in fact its one of the fastest progressing medical imaging fields. While that sounds great, its gonna be a tough ride for awhile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

whiterabbit in Waterville, Maine

55 months ago

As states figure out they can charge you extra for those modality fees, We are going to see our field become even more restricted. A couple of states have already passed regs stating that NMTs must also be xray certified to use those hybrids... Take notice folks! Get it done before it does you in! Imaging schools are pushing this legislation also, since they can then create a new program and charge you for it, so there is a push to make this happen. The above posting about the SNM is right on, BTW. Look, the SNM is a physicians organization.. they include techs, but in reality it isnt truly our organization and it appears to be run by folks who spend way too much time working on their graduate programs and far less actually working as a technologist. The SNM is all about fees.. Its like being in a union that no longer looks out for its own.

AT0505 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

55 months ago

whiterabbit in Waterville, Maine said: As states figure out they can charge you extra for those modality fees, We are going to see our field become even more restricted. A couple of states have already passed regs stating that NMTs must also be xray certified to use those hybrids... Take notice folks! Get it done before it does you in! Imaging schools are pushing this legislation also, since they can then create a new program and charge you for it, so there is a push to make this happen. The above posting about the SNM is right on, BTW. Look, the SNM is a physicians organization.. they include techs, but in reality it isnt truly our organization and it appears to be run by folks who spend way too much time working on their graduate programs and far less actually working as a technologist. The SNM is all about fees.. Its like being in a union that no longer looks out for its own.

While I agree with most of what you are saying about finding another modality to work in, I however disagree with the statement about wasting money on being "over-educated," and that universities do not require as much clinical time as certificate programs. An education is never a waste, no matter what field you are in. You gain knowledge, life experience, make contacts, and it opens many doors for you down the road (ie masters degree, second bachelor's, etc). The clinical rotations that I participated in at ODU were a full calender year, which added up to over 1300 hours in various hospitals, in addition to a radiopharmacy, PET, and Children's Hospital rotation. Before clinicals we had 2 semesters of background in radiation safety, protocols, and instrumentation. I would never consider all of this knowledge I acquired a waste, perhaps if I knew when I was 19 when making a decision on a major what I know now about the field, I probably would have chosen differently. Hindsight is always 20/20, this just gives me motivation to go and do something else.

Keep Hope Alive in Hamden, Connecticut

44 months ago

After reading all the above, I must say that I identify to some extent, with every comment that was made. I am a nuclear medicine technologist and an educator. I too have had my share of downsizing and I know of a number of individuals without full time jobs at this time. The field of nuclear medicine is one of the most volatile, ever changing and exciting career one can ever have. It seems difficult at this time because like every field that uses technology, technology changes and we have to look ahead and think positively. If one does not follow his or her passion, in this case the desire to pursue a career in nuclear medicine, regrets may arise later on when things improve and jobs become available. Finally, obtaining a nuclear medicine degree can always be used as a stepping stone to pursue other careers in the medical field.Do not be discouraged, keep abreast of what is going on and keep adding to the basics,PET/CT, PET/MRI, MBA, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

HopeVsReality in Mesquite, Texas

44 months ago

I do believe that NM is the most volatile. Thus, for most people who plan on a future career, they should be aware of this volatility. For most of us, choosing a career path isn't just a passion. It involves, time, money, commitment that we hope to see a return in (ie a job to put food on the table and pay the bills). It's like Maslow's theory, basic needs and security have to be taken care of first: so unless you're a trustfund child, a person who has reliable secondary source of income (parents, spouse, sugar-daddy, or other means of survival...etc), or income for whatever is a non-issue, the pursuit of our passion without consideration of meeting life's basic needs is all idealistic (don't think prn, on-call work would be a source of stable income). I'd love to be a passsionate artist and sit in front of a beach and paint pictures all day and hope that I can survive by selling my artwork, but in the end I'd most likely be a starving artist or there would be a very small chance/odds that I'd be able to survive this way. "When things improve and jobs become available" is a presumption that these jobs will become available again (as in our lifetime? 5, 10, 40 yrs??or never?). It's like some who hope that in our lifetime and around the corner, home prices will be picking back right where left off before the economy soured or that all the lost nuclear jobs/hours will all come back and then some. Yes I'm hopeful, but I also have to be practical. I can say that I've heard and observed MORE "REGRETS" than I have otherwise of people who've gone into this field (whether you break it down by very experienced, mid, new). Time is finite in our lifetime, especially as a prospective employee. Consider this, you want to put your time and investment into something that is "volatile" vs. something that is less so? Until there are some positive news that come from the insiders (not the whole public PR blitz from SNM or Schools), I cannot consciously mislead people.---Insider

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

I agree I would definetly chose a different carrer field. Or keep going to school.

Michael in Atlanta, Georgia

37 months ago

I'm currently at georgia perimeter for my AS in radiologic technology with a focus on nuclear medicine or sonography. But from what i've been reading... it's not so easy to find a job. I'm just starting out, but of course i want to graduate and have minimal difficulty finding a job.
I would rather not to go into nursing, just because i would prefer pediatric nursing or neonatal.
Any suggestions for the medical field?

HDH in Garland, Texas

37 months ago

Don't do it, kid! There's no work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

HDH in Garland, Texas

37 months ago

Not nuclear medicine technology. There's no work.
I can't tell you how many nuke techs that I know that are not working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

dne81 in San Antonio, Texas

37 months ago

Any advice I have been out of work for over a year can anyone shed some advice on what the next step should be if the field is dried up. I would greatly appreciate it.
I do apologize if it reposts a couple of times.
Thank You
dne81

JUDY in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

33 months ago

I have recently requested info for a bachelor's degree in micro cell biology (research).. I was told that since I have a A.S. degree, I would need 98 more credits. (besides the 92 I alraedy have, to get that drgree. I was also informed that the health care management or organizational management would be better. (I would only need 51 more credits there). :(...

kukusebsbe in Mohave Valley, Arizona

29 months ago

Cynthia in Yonkers, New York said: Hi everyone, it really is terrible in the nuc med world. I was laid off two years ago. Never found another full time job in nuc med. I've given up. Now things are much worse with the economy. I'm extremely lucky to have found a teaching job. It doesn't pay much but atleast I have some money coming in. I don't know how or when I'm going to pay off the $10,000 I still owe on my student loan. Good luck to everyone. For anyone thinking of nuc med, DON'T DO IT. GO INTO NURSING--I wish I did but now it's too late. I have no time or money to go back to school. To Marie, you're right, these recruiters should be held accountable. It's almost criminal to encourage students to go into Nuc Med. Frankly I think it's a dying field. So many procedures are now being done by CT. Faster, more convenient, easier for the patient, same or less radiation, and often cheaper.

Please tell me for truth. Is it that bad. I just applied to Nuc med program and thought that was something. But what I read here is totally different. I heard there are only 14,000 graduates working as NUC MED TECHNOLOGISTS. is it false or 14,000 is more than what the market needs? please give me some more insight as i am struggling to make the decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

beezorchdaddyo in Austin, Texas

29 months ago

kukusebsbe in Mohave Valley, Arizona said: Please tell me for truth. Is it that bad. I just applied to Nuc med program and thought that was something. But what I read here is totally different. I heard there are only 14,000 graduates working as NUC MED TECHNOLOGISTS. is it false or 14,000 is more than what the market needs? please give me some more insight as i am struggling to make the decision.

Choose a different course of study. That is, if being employed in the field you studied is your goal. You will not work in Nuc Med. Unless you have amazing connections and incredible luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mdemirer in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

29 months ago

Do not waste your time and money.I was traveler, but after 3 yrs of unemployment I atopped renewing all my NM liceses and going to retire early.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

adam in Detroit, Michigan

21 months ago

You all are crazy. no matter what you go to school for it is still hard to find a job all places want experience. there are 5 nuclear med jobs open in my area as I speak right nowdon't listen to what other people say they may have had bad experiences I'm sure every single person there class didn't find a job but I'm sure some did that's the way life goes I know about 20 people that went to college and they don't use their degree at all because they couldn't find jobs and all have different degrees.Do what you want and make your own decisions and you will be just fine.it took me 2 years to get a job after I graduated now I feel that I am overpaid and loving it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

beezorchdaddyo in Austin, Texas

21 months ago

adam in Detroit, Michigan said: You all are crazy. no matter what you go to school for it is still hard to find a job all places want experience. there are 5 nuclear med jobs open in my area as I speak right nowdon't listen to what other people say they may have had bad experiences I'm sure every single person there class didn't find a job but I'm sure some did that's the way life goes I know about 20 people that went to college and they don't use their degree at all because they couldn't find jobs and all have different degrees.Do what you want and make your own decisions and you will be just fine.it took me 2 years to get a job after I graduated now I feel that I am overpaid and loving it.

You sound like you're 12 years old. Shame on you for lying about nuclear medicine technologist job openings in your area. Lots of the people here are seriously trying to find jobs and don't need to be misled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

adam in Westland, Michigan

21 months ago

beezorchdaddyo in Austin, Texas said: You sound like you're 12 years old. Shame on you for lying about nuclear medicine technologist job openings in your area. Lots of the people here are seriously trying to find jobs and don't need to be misled.

12 years old I'm 37 buddy and I don't live in Detroit Michigan either looks like we ever built this website should went to college. here on indeed in my area there are 111 jobs open for nuclear medicinewe are hiring 4 and just had 19 applications turned in yesterday not my fault you can't get a job buddy maybe she got a higher GPA everybody with a high GPA my class has a good job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

well this thing just keeps posting that I live in the wrong state I wouldn't live in Michigan. it's an economy hell hole. I live in San DiegoCalifornia. I moved here after I graduated because this is the best job I could find. people have to realize that just because were you at the school at doesn't mean you're going to find a job there you have to travel to find a job like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

there are $1779 nuclear med tech jobs posted on indeed right now so tell me they're not hiring for that field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Missy B in Nashville, Tennessee

20 months ago

I live near a school and when I was in school, that was a great thing. For 20 years afterward it wasn't a bad thing. Now it's a bad thing. A job came open 30 miles from here, I applied, and was told that because I'm not an x-ray tech, I didn't qualify for the job. I was also told that dozens of people applied, and none of them were x-ray techs. It wasn't posted as an x-ray tech job, or I wouldn't have wasted my time applying. I applied for another position in another town 30 miles from me, and didn't get a reply at all until I got the notification that I didn't get hired. Now the only positions within 50 miles of me are PRN, one or two days a week, and I am working in another field where at least I have insurance, so it's better for me to stay where I am. I miss nuc med though. I am not blaming anyone on this board for my plight, but I will say, before you go through the schooling, look at the demand in your area or think about whether you want to move. It's not impossible to find a job in nuc med but it's not as easy as, say, finding a job in fast food.

20 months ago

I was NM tech for 20yrs and traveling NMT for past 10yrs then became unemployed.Collected unemployment 3 yrs still no jobs then lost my unemployment benifed. I stopped renewing my 10 different states,nmtcb and arrt licences and took early retirment. Please do not waste your time and money for any radiology school because you are not going to find any job in radiology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

erambo in Coal City, Illinois

19 months ago

adam in Westland, Michigan said: there are $1779 nuclear med tech jobs posted on indeed right now so tell me they're not hiring for that field.

Jackass you are clearly not reading the posts!! just because they show up when you search nuc med tech, F'ing click on it and IT IS Not for a nuc med technologist! Jobs that are actually for anything but PRN are damn near nonexistent!! Defiantly an over saturated dying field! and unlike you I actually know because I still have 5 yrs to pay on my student loans and after five yrs w my current job, I still can't find another job in this field that's not PRN since my modality (I refuse to say ours since you clearly are not from this field) is a dying imaging modality!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

adam in Detroit, Michigan said: You all are crazy. no matter what you go to school for it is still hard to find a job all places want experience. there are 5 nuclear med jobs open in my area as I speak right nowdon't listen to what other people say they may have had bad experiences I'm sure every single person there class didn't find a job but I'm sure some did that's the way life goes I know about 20 people that went to college and they don't use their degree at all because they couldn't find jobs and all have different degrees.Do what you want and make your own decisions and you will be just fine.it took me 2 years to get a job after I graduated now I feel that I am overpaid and loving it.

No way in the world some one gives you a job if you were not practicing past two years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Missy B in Nashville, Tennessee said: I live near a school and when I was in school, that was a great thing. For 20 years afterward it wasn't a bad thing. Now it's a bad thing. A job came open 30 miles from here, I applied, and was told that because I'm not an x-ray tech, I didn't qualify for the job. I was also told that dozens of people applied, and none of them were x-ray techs. It wasn't posted as an x-ray tech job, or I wouldn't have wasted my time applying. I applied for another position in another town 30 miles from me, and didn't get a reply at all until I got the notification that I didn't get hired. Now the only positions within 50 miles of me are PRN, one or two days a week, and I am working in another field where at least I have insurance , so it's better for me to stay where I am. I miss nuc med though. I am not blaming anyone on this board for my plight, but I will say, before you go through the schooling, look at the demand in your area or think about whether you want to move. It's not impossible to find a job in nuc med but it's not as easy as, say, finding a job in fast food .

You should also look into NMT jobs market before ,you signed up for the school
and now how you going to pay your student loan. Grass is not green in the other side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robin White in Louisville, Kentucky

17 months ago

It's unfortunate what has happened in the nuclear medicine field. Jobs used to be plentiful and very high paying. However, like most things in healthcare, procedures and tests come and go in popularity and relevance. This is why as an amateur career counselor you have to take numerous qualities of a potential career into account before pursuing it and investing not only money and time but your future into it. I would recommend starting with what you enjoy and find interesting instead of what field is currently in demand and paying well. Then from there find a job that allows you to make a living that is comfortable for you. Think twice before jumping into nursing or ultrasound now. Even though they have great prospects and high wages now, things change. Not only that there are reasons why nurses make good money, they work hard and few people want to work that hard. Also, nursing currently has a lot of advancement opportunities now but as the market starts to be flooded these positions will become more and more competitive to get and you may be stuck being a staff nurse in a specialty you hate.
With the decrease in nuclear medicine's demand, I know that nuclear med techs are usually qualified to do CT scans and train on-the-job to perform MRI's or ultrasound (general, cardiac, and vascular). I would imagine that this would be a lot easier for a nuclear med tech to get a trainee position than anyone else in healthcare. This is a suggestion for another career path one could take. Also, maybe you could consider looking into working at a nuclear power plant in the radiation health department. I'm almost certain you would qualify for an entry level position there, not to mention as a trainee nuclear operator. Another possibility is to transfer to medical dosimetry trainee positions. I realize that is more rad onc, but your degree being strong in radioactivity physics would more than qualify you to start as a trainee. Food for thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.