No need to freight fellow Tech's The Medical Bill Act is near !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 76)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Hommy RT R in Olympia, Washington

74 months ago

I know everybody right now is in a tizzy about getting a job as a registered tech in nuclear medicine or radiology or any of the modalities. However has anyone heard of the Medical Health Care Bill which congress is likely to sign this year? I work with the head Nuclear Medicine Radiologist Physician in the Army he is the advisior to the Surgeon General in nuclear medicine. He said that this year should be the year which the bill get passed through congress. It states that if you work in a health care field which requires a registration or certification you will HAVE to be CERTIFIED to work in that job. So for all of the MA's and secretarys who have radiology jobs or X-ray tech's who are working in Nuc Med, CT, MRI...you will have to be registered to work in that modality. This will for anything in the medical field. So this will not only increase the job market this will increase our $$$ as well. Has anyone heard of this bill??? Because every forum I've been to it seems everyone is tripping about jobs. Well, your comments would be appreciated!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Poca, West Virginia

74 months ago

See if you can find out more about that bill. Such as the number or the exact name of it because there is nothing before congress right now that states what you are talking about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Consistency, Accuracy, Responsibility and Excellence in Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy
In 1997 ASRT launched an aggressive campaign to protect patients from overexposure to radiation during radiologic procedures and help reduce the cost of administering health care.

Since the 1999 Congressional session, ASRT has introduced House and Senate bills that pursue basic educational and certification standards for health care workers who administer radiologic procedures in every state in the union. The bill -- known as the Consistency, Accuracy, Responsibility and Excellence in Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy (CARE) bill -- would ensure that patients undergoing all types of radiologic procedures have the same assurance of quality as those receiving mammograms under the provisions of the Mammography Quality Standards Act.

Look on the ASRT and ARRT website.... House CARE Bill (HR583)

74 months ago

c) REQUIREMENTS.—
19 ‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—Under the standards established under subsection (a), the Secretary shall ensure that individuals, prior to performing or planning medical imaging and radiation therapy services,demonstrate compliance with the standards established under subsection (a) through successful completion of certification by a professional organization, licensure, completion of an examination, pertinent coursework or degree program, verified pertinent experience, or through other ways determined appropriate by the Secretary, or through some combination thereof.

This is straight from the bill.........we need to be involved and let our co-workers know whats going on...we have to be very supportive and proactive!!! We should start a national boycott for a day so people know we are serious!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rosemary Patrick in Springfield, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

I am a Nuclear Medicine technologist working in the field for 27 years. I was laid off in November '07 by a company that downsized by cutting Nuc Med out completely. I never thoughtI would have so much touble finding a job.I love Nuc Med even after 27 yrs. I hope the Medical Bill Act will help us all. I know I'm not alone. Good luck to all my fellow Nucs out there!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Rosemary why don't you get into teaching there are many people that would love to learn from your experiences your a seasoned veteran. Or another thing that you could do is go to some local colleges and try to start a program up your more than qualified. Do you have any additional education?

J in Paramus, New Jersey

73 months ago

for the ones who do love teaching, there is going to be shortage of instructors and professors and etc in the education field of the radiology PRETTY SOON. A lot of them are retiring! Ha I wish that shortage is in other things other than teaching.

Jim in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

I am not sure how effective the Medical Bill Act is going to be in the short term. It depends on if the uncertified people that are doing nuc med right now get grandfathered in or not. I need to read the particulars of the bill I guess.

j in Paramus, New Jersey

72 months ago

^^actually Jim, if you do not have the qualifications for the modality and is ineligible for the ARRT registry or other exams, you are pretty much out or the institution will have to face a hefty fine for letting that person perform the exam, and it also goes for small clinics and MDs.

Paul in Lansing, Illinois

72 months ago

so whens this bill gonna happen, any new News, I need a job, lol????

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

71 months ago

Rosemary Patrick in Springfield, Pennsylvania said: I am a Nuclear Medicine technologist working in the field for 27 years. I was laid off in November '07 by a company that downsized by cutting Nuc Med out completely. I never thoughtI would have so much touble finding a job.I love Nuc Med even after 27 yrs. I hope the Medical Bill Act will help us all. I know I'm not alone. Good luck to all my fellow Nucs out there!!!

Rosemary I am being laid off in a couple of weeks for the same reason. I worked for this company for 7 years and called in one time when my mom died. I hope the Medical Bill Act will help us all too. Good Luck

Jim in Cranberry Twp, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Just an update on what I saw on the Medical Bill Act.....currently congress is considering the bill excluding the provision that includes the job certification part of the bill. It may or may not be put back in before the final vote but what I am seeing here is that special interest (i.e. hospitals) are trying to kill that portion of the bill to protect their bottom lines and keep the status quo. They don't want to have to pay anything more than they have to.

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

Rosemary Patrick in Springfield, Pennsylvania said: I am a Nuclear Medicine technologist working in the field for 27 years. I was laid off in November '07 by a company that downsized by cutting Nuc Med out completely. I never thoughtI would have so much touble finding a job.I love Nuc Med even after 27 yrs. I hope the Medical Bill Act will help us all. I know I'm not alone. Good luck to all my fellow Nucs out there!!!

I don't see where this will make any differnce where I live. The places I've worked have always hired registered Nuclear Tech's. There are 2 schools that graduate a steady supply. It might make a differnce in CT or MRI, but not Nuclear Medicine.

NMT in Gastonia, North Carolina

69 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: I don't see where this will make any differnce where I live. The places I've worked have always hired registered Nuclear Tech's. There are 2 schools that graduate a steady supply. It might make a differnce in CT or MRI, but not Nuclear Medicine.

I absolutely agree with you Marie. If look around that will most likely make a difference in CT & MRI, but for sure not in NM. I am pulling my hair trying to find a job anywhere in the USA. It is almost impossible to even get an interview these days, let alone land a job.

NMT in Gastonia, North Carolina

69 months ago

Why isn't the SNM doing something about this situation? Do they even care about their members or just for their membership dues? This is just unreal... Just 4 years ago there were tons of jobs, now there is almost nothing out there. The ones that are advertised, you sent your resume, your application that takes an hour to finish, then you call them, then you wait, then you call them again, then wait, then it turns out that they either hired someone else, or just like in most cases they have a job freeze, and right now they are not hiring even though they have still that opening. This bill will be no help at all.

69 months ago

To tell you the truth it might not make a difference in MRI or CT. All the tech's really have to do is study and take the exam. I know several CT Tech's who have taken it within the last year and passed with minimal effort. It still won't improve the job market. Schools have to close down so the market can catch up. Most students going into the program think they're going to have a great career, until they graduate. I'm considering taking the semester of CT in hopes to find a job. I have 10 years of experiece to include PET and still I've had only one interview in the las 3 months. Sad situation with no where to turn for help.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

azbah in Irvine, California

69 months ago

I would really need you guyse`s help regarding my school decision...I am starting Nuc Med program in SEP and have started to get anxiety about the job situation!!! i live in southern CA ..please give me your opinions

69 months ago

From what I hear there are jobs in CA. What you need to do is research the job market in your area, as if you already graduated. By that I mean go onto the Hospital websites and see what openings they have NOW. See how much experience they want. If they're asking for 1-2 years you will not get an interview. If they hire recent grads you will, it's as simple as that really. In my area it doesn't matter if you have 2 years or 20 years no one is hiring. Most hospitals here have a hiring freeze. No one is leaving their jobs because there is nowhere to go. The director at the school will tell you there are jobs even if there are none, that is how he/she makes their living. Supervisors at hospitals will too, they like a steady supply of Techs & Students. Students do alot of the dirty work and most students don't mind, I know I didn't way back when. A steady supply of Tech's means they don't have to pay much. This is the reality of Nuclear Medicine right now.

azbah in Irvine, California

69 months ago

wow Thank you very much for your great input Marie, I have somethinking to do.

68 months ago

In Kingwood learn how to use the forums...

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

68 months ago

There is no way this will help the NMT's. Our issue is too many, all of them with certification. This bill really does not matter for us. Additionally, I have been hearing about it for few years now and nothing. So felloe NMT's brace for this unfortunate situation and lets hope that our economy will improve soon.

68 months ago

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina said: There is no way this will help the NMT's. Our issue is too many, all of them with certification. This bill really does not matter for us. Additionally, I have been hearing about it for few years now and nothing. So felloe NMT's brace for this unfortunate situation and lets hope that our economy will improve soon.

I agree Saly, the only thing that will help is if the economy picks up and people realize the situation and choose another career. If you can get with a place and stay you're lucky. I'm getting FT hours at the hospital, but I'm still PRN and don't feel secure.

Russell

67 months ago

Im 39 and just getting started, I owned a shrimp trawler for the last 12 years and now Im thinking of go to school to become an x ray tech or radiologist tech , I only have a high school diploma.I am in charleston sc and thinking of moving to Florida. I am asking for any good advise to help me pick a school, and what courses I should take.

67 months ago

Russell said: Im 39 and just getting started, I owned a shrimp trawler for the last 12 years and now Im thinking of go to school to become an x ray tech or radiologist tech , I only have a high school diploma.I am in charleston sc and thinking of moving to Florida. I am asking for any good advise to help me pick a school, and what courses I should take.

I would suggest that you reconsider going to x-ray school, nursing would be the best choice. As a nurse there are more options of where to work and different shift/hours. Right now most nurses that have been in the field for about 5 years make more per hr than a radiology technologist. If you are a male nurse, your pay is even higher than a female nurse, and in that case for male nurses the sky is the limit. That's how it is right now and I am sure that this would be the case for the next decade at least. That is something to consider.

jay in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

i attend the community college in houston i'm almost done with my basic courses, i was looking at the nuclear med program.
know body knows anything about it, 9 out 10 people i ask haven't enen heard of it. so how is their no demand for certified techs if i've only meet 1 person who works in this feild. i've never meet anyone who finished school for anything medical and didn't find a job.

Sheri in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Most people only know this field by the types of scans we do. No one knows what I do until I ask them if they've ever heard of a bone scan or a stress test.

If you don't believe there is a job shortage, just do a search and see how little is out there. Specifically Marie Dunn can vouch for the lack of jobs in your area.

It is a small field. I work at a medium sized hospital and we have 4 full time techs as opposed to the 25 or so rad techs. No one is leaving jobs due to the economy and retirement account situations and no one is relocating due to the lack of jobs.

If you want to talk to some people who completed school and didn't find jobs in the field, you can talk with half of my graduating class who didn't find work. If you want to roll the dice that's your perogative but we aren't all on here blowing smoke, we are telling the truth that program directors won't tell you.

jay in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

i believe you i talk to a couple of poeple from some different hospitals, one of the guys pointed me in the direction of radiology he told me to ask about CT.

i'm at a breaking point with my basic classes and i'm trying to avoid nursing.

can you give info on radiology techs, why is the field doing well?
could the economy hurt this field? will there still be opening in another two years?

PP in Glenview, Illinois

62 months ago

Cause everyone and their mother has a CT scan when they go to the hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Look if you can't bite the bullet and go into Nursing forget about health care. There are NO jobs in imaging!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Zac Cockroft in Burnet, Texas

62 months ago

Well said Marie. I am seriously considering dropping Imaging and looking to go work for the Department of Homeland Security. I hate to do it but it seems to be really bleak right now. And part of my decision was baed off the fact that I didn't get the job with the VA in Louisiana, of which was my 8th interview, I feel I am just waisting my time going to interview after another and getting turned down.

62 months ago

Nuclear Medicine is only 1st shift and one shift position in most hospitals. Compared to other imaging modalities such as x-rays, US, or CT, which have 24 hrs coverage, and more scans for those modalities are ordered than for nuc med. Also, almost every doctor group office has x-rays and US, and quite a few use mobile CT & MRI. So here are only couple of reasons why other radiology modalities are better option when it comes to finding a job upon graduation.

Diane in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

jay in Houston, Texas said: i attend the community college in houston i'm almost done with my basic courses, i was looking at the nuclear med program.
know body knows anything about it, 9 out 10 people i ask haven't enen heard of it. so how is their no demand for certified techs if i've only meet 1 person who works in this feild. i've never meet anyone who finished school for anything medical and didn't find a job.

Jay, I am in your boat. I am taking my basics to get in the the NMTT at HCC next year. There are not very many that know of this course, but then again the instructor will only allow 11 in the course this year. He did say Nuclear Medicine is in a down turn right now...he said it is in a deep valley at this point. I'm sure someday it will turn to a strong peak, but who knows when that will be. I'm glad to hear from Saly and Marie with their insight.

Lisa in Avon, Connecticut

62 months ago

I am currently researching certified 2 year programs for the nuclear medicine technology program, can anyone share either a website or know of well known schools and their programs at community colleges. I am primarily interested in the Northeast area. I appreciate the help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sheri in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

I just have to laugh... seriously... if I'm not laughing I'm crying here!!!

LISA~ Read what we are talking about on these boards. There are no jobs in NUC MED. All of radiology is tight right now, but Nuc Med is the WORST specialty you could pick.

I graduated almost two years ago (did my research 6+ years ago when the field was AWESOME), found a PRN and a part time position (because I knew the right people). Only 5 in my class found full-time work (two out of state and the 3 others had high up connections in the hospitals they work at). The rest of my class did not find work, the classes after mine did not find work, it is a waste of money and time!!

Speaking of wasting time, I'm not sure why we keep trying to convey the message that this field is oversaturated. It's not about being bitter, it's not about being lazy, it's about a lack of jobs in the field people. I'm lucky to have my PRN work and be in line for a FT position!!

jay in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

i'm having a change of heart, i'm either doing physical therapist assistant or RN. i know the nursing program need men, i'm just really not looking forward to taking anatomy II and microbiology.

questions 1. what do nuclear med techs make when they start and what do they make after a couple of years?

questions 2. everybody says men do well in nursing, but why would anybody want a guy nurse?

62 months ago

jay to answer your questions:
1. it depends, in the current economy status you can start between 15-21, but I heard a rumor in out patient facility in VA one girl was pushed to start with 14/hr...
2. Cause men patients want male nurses... there are more female nurses than male

PP in Glenview, Illinois

62 months ago

1. $15-$21 wow that's complete garbage if that's what ppl are getting I've never heard that before. If it was $14/hr I'd tell them to go F$%^ themselves. Its more like $21-$27.

62 months ago

PP I would agree with your numbers if those are from at least 1 yr. ago. Now things are tight, especially in outpatient facilities. Is it possible that somewhere in the NW and SE states those are a bit higher, sure...

nmtforlife in Virginia Beach, Virginia

62 months ago

PP you are right on the money. NMTs, whether PRN (they make way more because they don't get any benefits like part timers and full timers), Part-Time, or Full-Time, make well over $20 an hour. And the comment made by Saly about "I heard a rumor in out patient facility in VA one girl was pushed to start with 14/hr" is ridiculous...and as far as I'm concerned it should stay a "rumor." $14 an hour that's a complete joke and an insult to our profession. And also I find it hard to believe an "outpatient facility" would even offer an NMT that kind of salary...economic recession or not and if that girl accepted that then I have a bridge to sell her for $100. Heck I know MAs who make more than $14 an hour. So PP you're in the right ball park.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I have to agree with Saly, the pay is dropping and it's dropping fast. I lost my job last June and as a PRN Tech was offered $3 an hour less than what I was making FT with benefits. I'm now FT time and I do NOT make anywhere close to what I was making before. Not a rumor it happened to me... I have 10 years of experience and am multi modality. It's called supply and demand, right now there are way too many qualified Tech's looking for work....

62 months ago

The reason the pay went up was because there was a shortage of Tech's a few years ago. There is NO longer a shortage....

62 months ago

I can not even begin to tell you that I wish I was wrong about what I noted regarding the current starting salaries, cause it affects me directly and every NMT on the job market now... But the reality is what it is... Employers are very well aware of the current job market situation and are taking advantage… big time. For every job opening advertised they get hundreds, hundreds of applications, not 15-10, but hundreds of NMT resumes and applications. If you do not believe me, just call HR and ask them how many applicants they have for a NMT job. Some will tell you that they do not even count, that is how many there get... It is cruel out there…:(

PP in Glenview, Illinois

62 months ago

I'm sure Obama will help all the unemployed NMT's out there.(sarcasm)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

PP in Glenview, Illinois

62 months ago

What are you linking us Saly???? What is this?

62 months ago

PP, this a link to a forum for pilots, one of which has been talking to his aunt and she told him nuc med was recession proof, he likes being pilot, but it sounds like due to the recession he is looking to get into healthcare field, specialty that is recession proof. Click on it...How ironic…

Jim in Mattoon, Illinois

62 months ago

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Folk look what I googled: www.airlinepilotforums.com/leaving-career/37231-nuclear-medicine.html

Wow! Talk about "flying by the seat of your pants."

kgnuc in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

azbah in Irvine, California said: I would really need you guyse`s help regarding my school decision...I am starting Nuc Med program in SEP and have started to get anxiety about the job situation!!! i live in southern CA ..please give me your opinions

I have been a tech for 25 years in a large hospital. I have seen many ups and downs as far as employment goes in that time. However, I have never seen it this bad. I love my job, but I would not encourage anyone to enter this field now. I would not recommend any radiology right now.

X Ray job market in Potomac, Maryland

57 months ago

Do not just blame the schools, also blame the dumbass people who continue to Enroll into X Ray programs.

NothingHere in Saint Louis, Missouri

57 months ago

Unfortunatley, because of "misinformation AND disinformation" students have been MISLEAD to believing that there are numerous jobs. I do agree that students need to do a bit more howework into the field they want to get into, HOWEVER, it is HIGHLY UNETHICAL when teachers/educational institutions MISLEAD students by not painting the REAL picture. Too many teachers have become "salespersons" rather than promoters of education, truth and protection for the field (of course not all teachers are like this). My advise to all the unemployed/certified NMT(and employed), is to take action.
This can be done by:

1) On Nuclear Medicine Week (get together with other grads, set up a table, and pass out flyers to students(potential students)--about the profession/school/enrollment/saturation...professions dismissal of concerns, how many grads actually employed, and if so on what base ..oncall...situation w/recent grads not getting jobs and seasoned workers losings theirs....( etc.)

2) Make up flyers with "truth" info and post them all around school boards..especially near the medical field learning dept.(they may be taken down by school..but keep putting them back up)

It's only when these institutions, the professional society, etc. know that there's mass discontent and serious calls for action needed that any issues will be addressed seriously (and hopefully the media can pick it up)...and SYNERGY is helpful..especially if you can get together with other fields that are in the same boat

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.